Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

W.T. Fits posted:

If I use the task manager and hit "Clear All", it'll close Record Keeper, but then when I go to reopen the program, it'll ask me if I want to resume where I left off. If I tell it no, it bumps me back out of the last battle I was in but still consumes my stamina. If I tell it yes, it goes right back to where I was in the fight when I opened the task manager to close the program, which is useless to me if the one of the guys I'm trying to level is already dead.

This isn't exactly right. When you exit out of the app and re-enter a battle, it'll take you back to the beginning of the round you were just in. Say that you were in a three-round battle against trash. You fight the first round, take some damage, and go to the second round. If you reset there and re-open the app, you'll still be in the second round with the damage you took. However, if you reset before the second round officially begins, you'll re-enter the battle at the first round, with all your health back to the way it was. It's best to do the app close right as something bad happens, like a particularly nasty critical, or a bad status ailment, or an instant KO, or if you screw up and use an ability before you wanted to. The strategy works best for boss fights because you can always start them over right from where they began.

If "double tap" doesn't work, and I don't even know why it would, try holding down the home button. That should bring you to a list of your apps, and you should be able to drag and slide Record Keeper to the side to close just only it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Wait, what? So even F2Ps who haven't been particularly "lucky" with dupes will get to kiss their wallets goodbye with some actual +++ 8*s?

I mean, I'm glad we get Galuf and Lenna, especially since I've been demanding it for months, but having an essentially free +++ throwing weapon/hat with FFXIII synergy for anyone who's been here a year or longer is huge.

No, everyone who has been playing for a year gets the +++ and two Rosetta Stones.

Literally everybody gets the +++.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
It should be illegal for anyone to talk poo poo on the pumpkin

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Does combining the pumpkin increase the evasion on it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

Does combining the pumpkin increase the evasion on it?

We won't know until it drops, but probably not. (The Japanese pumpkin wasn't bugged, so we don't have a comparison.)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The paranoid :tinfoil: in me is saying that I should wait for everyone else combine + reforge theirs. This would be a perfect opportunity for a stealth fix/nerf of the evasion stat.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I convinced two friends to play the game for the first time today and man do I feel like a bad influence. :smith:

e: I just hope they don't end up like this guy:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Garin posted:

I convinced two friends to play the game for the first time today and man do I feel like a bad influence. :smith:

Wheh. The game does F2P right, so I wouldn't feel SO bad about it. Though...jeezus. Holy god drat whales, Batman!

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
The best advice I could give people for this game is to never go full husband.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Is there a secret to character survivability that I'm missing? My team is mid-high 30's and I have no trouble with outputting enough damage at hard or heroic difficulties, but everyone also gets one or two shot by pretty much anything. Do I just need more levels/better armor? I'm using mostly whatever 4* armor I've found so far.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Are you using Protectga/Shellga? Breaks/Breakdowns? In most FF games those are afterthoughts but in this game they are 100% vital.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I don't have the orbs for those yet, except for the basic breaks. It seems like you have to be able to handle higher tier content before you can get the orbs to make the tougher content doable in the first place.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Viking_Helmet posted:

I don't have the orbs for those yet, except for the basic breaks. It seems like you have to be able to handle higher tier content before you can get the orbs to make the tougher content doable in the first place.

HP makes a huge difference, so it sounds like it's a combination of levels and mitigation through Power/Magic Breakdowns and Protectga/Shellga.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ETB posted:

HP makes a huge difference, so it sounds like it's a combination of levels and mitigation through Power/Magic Breakdowns and Protectga/Shellga.

Events are your friend early on, even if you will have to wait around for them. They're designed to pour Experience Eggs on you compared to most content. Dump those on your character with the strongest soul break and you'll start making more and more progress.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Viking_Helmet posted:

Is there a secret to character survivability that I'm missing? My team is mid-high 30's and I have no trouble with outputting enough damage at hard or heroic difficulties, but everyone also gets one or two shot by pretty much anything. Do I just need more levels/better armor? I'm using mostly whatever 4* armor I've found so far.
Are you upgrading your weapons and armor to max level? That's important.

Also, if you have exp eggs, feed literally all of them to your A team. No point saving them when you need the levels to clear content in the first place.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Viking_Helmet posted:

Have you done any Elite main dungeon stuff?

It's usually not very hard, early on-should certainly be doable at your levels, and coughs up Greater/Major Orbs even early.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
11-pull:

Man, this was pretty much everything I wanted from the banner, too. Would have loved the Defender, but it'll reappear on Vayne 1 (which I'm planning on going hard on), so I'm overall extremely pleased.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
got an FFXII item from my 100 gem draw.. it was that dumb hammer. Bring on the FFX event so I can do an 11-pull!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Viking_Helmet posted:

A weaponmaster roaming warrior will trivialise early to mid bosses - it's instant cast and targets all enemies, so if you find that the waves of enemies are managable but are having trouble with the bosses, give it a shot. I was able to defeat EX events in my third day of playing on the japanese version because of that RW.

R1 Protectga and R1 Shellga are an absolute priority, in total you'll need 10 White, 3 Holy and 12 Earth 4* orbs in total. Don't forget you can combine lower tier orbs to higher tier orbs (10:1).

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to pull on the nightmare lucky draw and the debuff banner, it's 25 mythril for 11 items, one of which will likely be a medica soul break, and another which will be a decent support item. If you get lucky, you might get 4-5 5* items, but remember that 4* items are good in the early game too!

e:
Try for the Keeper's choice vol 2. banner. It's got a good spread of starting relics, especially Tyro's sentinel's grimoire and Ramza's platinum sword. If you manage to snag those two, congrats, most of your problems are over.

vv: drat I forgot about that :/

Inge fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 31, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inge posted:

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to pull on the nightmare lucky draw and the debuff banner, it's 50 mythril for 22 items, one of which will likely be a medica soul break, and another which will be a decent support item. If you get lucky, you might get 4-5 5* items, but remember that 4* items are good in the early game too!

Nightmare lucky draws are 50 Mythril now, not 25.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Got a Power Crystal from the Ultimate fight. :toot:

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Yea I actually did get both the sentinel grimoire and (2) platinum sword(s) on my, uh, first draw. Pretty sure I used up all my luck ever with that.

My problem with the tougher content right now isn't the boss, generally, since by the time I make it to the boss I have soul breaks available. I tend to die to the trash mobs leading up to the boss, when I haven't had time to charge soul breaks and everyone dies in 2 hits from anything.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Viking_Helmet posted:

Yea I actually did get both the sentinel grimoire and (2) platinum sword(s) on my, uh, first draw. Pretty sure I used up all my luck ever with that.

My problem with the tougher content right now isn't the boss, generally, since by the time I make it to the boss I have soul breaks available. I tend to die to the trash mobs leading up to the boss, when I haven't had time to charge soul breaks and everyone dies in 2 hits from anything.

The quickest answer I can give you is this: turn on Elite classic dungeons and grab any of them that have 61 Stamina cost. Those are pretty much always going to be two trash waves and then the boss wave. Now take a Shout RW along, blow that for the two trash waves and then use your own Shout for the last line of it. Boom, you're basically through all of those with little to no effort. That'll have you rolling in Greater Orbs and/or Major Orbs depending on the particular mission and you can actually break those Majors down into 10 Greaters each to quicker get to Protectga and Shellga. You can use the same trick to plow through all the levels of the Daily Dungeons, which will also net you a poo poo ton of orbs.

Edit: Oh yeah, and you might be able to get a huge infusion of orbs from the World of Final Fantasy event whenever it drops, but I can't vouch for how truly easy it was as my JP team is crazy strong. But it's a turn-in event so potentially you can just run lower levels over and over to buy particular orbs even if you can't complete it all

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 31, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
You absolutely need a dark res acc on your squishy healers for the U+ CM. I forgot to equip my party with them and the scripted Maser Eye hit Penelo for 5500 damage through protect/breaks. I still managed to win, but it ended up being with Ashe as the sole survivor.

For the U++, Daedalus has a stop that will last for almost 20 seconds. It can absolutely wreck your party, but there is one thing that can be done about it: If you stop your own stopped party member, it overwrites. So that 110 mind Celes stop will overwrite that 900 mind stop and lasts a couple seconds at most.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 31, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KnoxZone posted:

You absolutely need a dark res acc on your squishy healers for the U+ CM. I forgot to equip my party with them and the scripted Maser Eye hit Penelo for 5500 damage through protect/breaks. I still managed to win, but it ended up being with Ashe as the sole survivor.

For the U++, Daedalus has a stop that will last for almost 20 seconds. It can absolutely wreck your party, but there is one thing that can be done about it: If you stop your own stopped party member, it overwrites. So that 110 mind Celes stop will overwrite that 900 mind stop and lasts a couple seconds at most.

Alternatively, I believe physical Blink can dodge it, so those with Basch/Sabin's SSBs can time it to dodge the scripted move.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Viking_Helmet posted:

Oh ok, nice.

In this case, maybe you're too squishy because you are just too low a level.

How many eggs do you have?

If the answer isn't 0, eat all the eggs. What's your team makeup?

Don't sell all the 1* trash that drops from story dungeons, feed them to your 4* armour. You will probably amass countless twist headbands and triangle hats, which are pretty much equivalent to a small adamantite. Even 5 levels will make a noticeable difference, due to the way damage is calculated.

Also, the above advice is sound, if you can RW a shout or a wall, blow through all the 90 stamina daily dungeons. At the end of the week, you'll have 3 of each major orb, which you can then break down to 30 of each greater orbs, or 300 3* orbs.

Inge fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 31, 2016

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Draw Report for Larsa 2: (2/11) Platinum Shield and a Off-banner XIV Sword with Shared Self-Boost.

It's the second time I only get Defensive Gear as Something of Note from a XII Banner, and I'm glad I've managed to Reforge both a Hammerhead and a Empyrean Rod or otherwise the Loxley Bow from the Support Lucky Draw would be the only thing I have for Weapon Synergy in that Realm. Now I'll have to save for Vayne and pray this doesn't become a running gag (Both Future Banners have a good amount of armors).

On related news, I managed to beat my First Ultimate without any bullshit tactics (like RW Finishing Touch on Midgar Zolom) aside for an RW'd Dusk's Decree for a score of no medals lost despite a dead Tyro.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 31, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Got Gabranth's sword on my dollar pull :toot: Been having drat good luck with those lately.

Did the U just barely (godDAMN that was some damage), in a better place for the U+ and U++ due to all the holy damage I can poo poo out. Will do those later.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Currently using Sunday for Sundaily, because I have a metric fuckton of back-ordered SBs to learn. I think I'm currently at like...seven learned on today -alone-, which will more be ten or more by the time I go to bed tonight. Only reason for that is because I loving opened at work today, started my day at like 3 in the morning because of my rear end in a top hat dog waking me up.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

The little Ice Azers can be paralyzed via Quetzacoatl. That was a fun discovery.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

UHD posted:

The little Ice Azers can be paralyzed via Quetzacoatl. That was a fun discovery.

Glad I invested in Quetzacoatl for this very reason.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

Inge posted:

Oh ok, nice.

In this case, maybe you're too squishy because you are just too low a level.

How many eggs do you have?

If the answer isn't 0, eat all the eggs. What's your team makeup?

Don't sell all the 1* trash that drops from story dungeons, feed them to your 4* armour. You will probably amass countless twist headbands and triangle hats, which are pretty much equivalent to a small adamantite. Even 5 levels will make a noticeable difference, due to the way damage is calculated.

Also, the above advice is sound, if you can RW a shout or a wall, blow through all the 90 stamina daily dungeons. At the end of the week, you'll have 3 of each major orb, which you can then break down to 30 of each greater orbs, or 300 3* orbs.

Lots of eggs, haven't spent many because I'm not sure who my best options are right now. I'm currently using Tyro, Ramza, Steiner, Cyan, and Cloud. I started recently, so I've only got access to some of the characters from the FFIX event and those since. I also have an Orichalcum for Zidane and a Twin Lance for Zidane, when I have a soul record or one of their events comes up.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AstraSage posted:

Draw Report for Larsa 2: (2/11) Platinum Shield and a Off-banner XIV Sword with Shared Self-Boost.

It's the second time I only get Defensive Gear as Something of Note from a XII Banner, and I'm glad I've managed to Reforge both a Hammerhead and a Empyrean Rod or otherwise the Loxley Bow from the Support Lucky Draw would be the only thing I have for Weapon Synergy in that Realm. Now I'll have to save for Vayne and pray this doesn't become a running gag (Both Future Banners have a good amount of armors).

On related news, I managed to beat my First Ultimate without any bullshit tactics (like RW Finishing Touch on Midgar Zolom) aside for an RW'd Dusk's Decree for a score of no medals lost despite a dead Tyro.

Plat Shield is the best offensive item on the whole banner. Combine it with a no-synergy Excalibur and Saints Cross and that's one less slot in your CM party that needs synergy gear for literally every realm except 7/11/13/14 (and most of those will be solved in time).

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

My luck with 100-gem pulls has been atrocious, the last 5* I got was over 28 banners ago which just feels bad :smith:

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Viking_Helmet posted:

Lots of eggs, haven't spent many because I'm not sure who my best options are right now. I'm currently using Tyro, Ramza, Steiner, Cyan, and Cloud. I started recently, so I've only got access to some of the characters from the FFIX event and those since. I also have an Orichalcum for Zidane and a Twin Lance for Zidane, when I have a soul record or one of their events comes up.

I'd dump *3/4* your eggs on ramza, tyro and cloud. Don't consider it a waste, ramza is brilliant and you want tyro and cloud level broken for their record materia anyway. When you get zidane, replace cyan, and dump the rest of the eggs on him immediately.

Did you get the soul from this event?

I'm guessing you're using tyro as your healer? I'd also recommend draw fire + drain strike on steiner and put him in the back row. This will make all single target physical attacks hit him instead, AND doubles his defense. Paired with a way to self-heal, this should go a long way to helping you not die. Make sure you give him your best DEF armour though.

Inge fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 31, 2016

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Got Gabranth's sword on my dollar pull :toot: Been having drat good luck with those lately.

Did the U just barely (godDAMN that was some damage), in a better place for the U+ and U++ due to all the holy damage I can poo poo out. Will do those later.

Wish you luck with those, I still feel I don't have the Firepower to tackle the U+ and U++ until I can properly start pulling out the 5* Abilities.

And I agree Mateus and the Overgrown Snowflakes were very good at racking up damage: many S/Ls were thanks to being two people short before I could either get Tyro and Selphie set SG and Shellga in the first turn or pair their actions with Heathen Frolic Sarabande and Dreamstage in the second; But once that hurdle was passed it was gratifying to see Ashe (Lv. 71 , Empyrean Rod +++, Armguard, Devotion RM, only her unused default SB) crushing everything with the Decree's Defense Command, Ramuh and a little help of a few Banishing Strikes from Basch.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Plat Shield is the best offensive item on the whole banner. Combine it with a no-synergy Excalibur and Saints Cross and that's one less slot in your CM party that needs synergy gear for literally every realm except 7/11/13/14 (and most of those will be solved in time).
The Shield was the main reason I saved Mythril on this Banner instead of the First (that and a chance to get something for the Fran/Balthier Dynamic Duo), so I don't consider it a bad pull per se, but I expected getting a second weapon for XII instead of my first Off-banner when I saw Two Rainbow Orbs in the screen.

Although it's just funny how I can say I have 5* Armors outnumbering the 5* Weapons in a realm when the distribution is usually heavily skewed to the other way.

Also, a priority goal for next Orbfest (besides R2 Full Break) is to get that Saint Cross made and be honed at least once.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
All of these Ultimates are jerks.

Well, the Ultimate and U+ were, with the Ultimate being "Oh thank god I remembered what Machinations first command was and happened to have a friend RW of it, this would be hell otherwise" and U+ being "STOP CONFUSING RAMZA RIGHT BEFORE I USE SHOUT TO REFRESH MY HASTE AFTER YOUR SLOW" (Three times in a row, essentially killed me with the timing I was using, pitiful odds of happening. I don't even know.).

U++ I hear is... sort of amazing even by these standards, so I'm... not doing that right now...

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ahriman Cid Mission was pretty brutal until I switched my setup around to have Ashe as a haste bot to counter the 70% immobilizega and then chain firaga with Balthier's imperil SSB. Had Basch magic lure and Saint cross, Fran for breaks and her shatter heart SB, and Penelo with protectga and her war dance medica. Used dark resist gear.

Daedalus is pretty much :gibs: after a certain point, good luck goons

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Daedalus never stopped me during my Ult++ battle. I must have gotten really lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ETB posted:

Daedalus never stopped me during my Ult++ battle. I must have gotten really lucky.

Whoof. That RNG is literally the worst RNG in the fight, though. If he whacks your healer and stops them, you're dead, end of story, just S/L to save yourself the pain.

It's a base 48% chance, but as far as I know there's nothing in the game that resists Stop more than minorly (even then it's like... 3*/4* accessories that I've long since vaulted, I think?) and once he hits his Very Weak phase he starts barfing out AoE endlessly, Ultimate Yunalesca style. Unlike ultalesca, though, there's no real gimmicks at play and we've also got the potential to be much better equipped than back then. Being cripplingly weak to Saint's Cross also makes life easier.

• Locked thread