Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Reinhardt's ult is also devastating, and can charge really fast if he can actually connect. The general idea is that reinhardt spots an opening and starts your rush with his ult, then the ana nanoboosts him. If all goes well he swings his hammer a few times and is nearing having his ult up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got nanoboosted as Zenyatta today. Tried my very best!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I like to think that both parties facepalm when a D. Va gets nanoboosted.

"You better get out of my way!"

I'm on it, just let me slowly backpedal.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

I like to think that both parties facepalm when a D. Va gets nanoboosted.

"You better get out of my way!"

I'm on it, just let me slowly backpedal.

D.Va isn't the best target but she isn't the absolute worst. People aren't always in a position to escape if the timing is right, and pushing people off the point is nice. You also have to keep in mind that the boost speeds you up, too.

This opinion is completely redacted if you do it right before she ults, though, there is no worse feeling.

Also: Can I get an Ana spray for healing D'va's mech back up to full as it blows up? I wish that thing didn't still have a healthbar during its death animation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rein gets the nanoboost for a few reasons. obviously he does decent damage while nano'd (his 75 damage hammer goes to about 113 and firestrike from 100 to 150), but he also has a really wide swing and generous hitbox that allows him to sweep through multiple enemies at once. another huge benefit of boosting the rein is his health; reinhardt normally has 500 health, of which 200 is armor. under the effects of a nanoboost, that is effectively doubled. the important part of this is how it effects his 200 armor, because a nano rein is insanely difficult to kill. however, the craziest thing about it is how nanoboost interacts with earthshatter. see, when a genji or a reaper uses their ult, they don't get charge back until it ends. reinhardt tho? he can open a fight with an earthshatter, get nanoboosted, kill the whole team before they stand up, and already have his earthshatter ready again. the nano loop was insanely powerful back before the ana nerf because you could expend 2 ults and get them back for free before the next team fight started, allowing your team to snowball their way through the map by constantly shutting the other team down. rein's also useful pretty much all the time on both offense and defense so you can always plan around the reinhardt nanoboost, whereas your other primary targets (reaper, genji, even winston occasionally) aren't always gonna be around on a pro team

the big downside to boosting your rein is his limited reach and mobility. yea, sure, his hammer is big and nanoboost improves his speed, but it's still a lot more limited than the nano death blossom or dragonblade in that regard. another negative is that he has to drop his shield to swing that big ol' hammer around, tho this isn't as bad as you might think since the other team has more pressing concerns than shooting you at that point

e: o yea, it's also super obvious where the reinhardt is and that makes him a lot easier to get away from than a good reaper or genji dropping down on your head. it's a lot easier to sleep dart reinhardt as well

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 31, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tweet Me Balls posted:

D.Va isn't the best target but she isn't the absolute worst. People aren't always in a position to escape if the timing is right, and pushing people off the point is nice. You also have to keep in mind that the boost speeds you up, too.

This opinion is completely redacted if you do it right before she ults, though, there is no worse feeling.

Also: Can I get an Ana spray for healing D'va's mech back up to full as it blows up? I wish that thing didn't still have a healthbar during its death animation.

She also doesn't have to reload.

If the enemy Ana has sleep dart then it's a waste, just like Roadhog, though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Whenever I get ulted I waste it. Especially if I'm Roadhog.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Reinhart also doesn't have to reload

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have been in matches won by boosting D.va, although it was like no dps vs no dps. Wiping out the two opposing D.vas and the ineffective no helix Soldier was enough to finally end a three minute long OT.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Reinhart also doesn't have to reload

No one's arguing that DVa is a better boost choice than Rein :rolleyes:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Eichenwalde is the single worst map in the game

Why are there so many little side paths that don't actually lead anywhere useful at all?

Why are the actually useful side routes beyond the chokepoints? If you can make it past the chokepoint, you don't actually need the side path! If you can't make it past the chokepoint, then you can't access the side path!

Why is the only way into the castle two extremely easily defended hallways? We just blew apart the door with a giant battering ram! Why did the door come back?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been nanoboosted so many times as Mercy. "Mercy, you got in the way!"

Got in the way by standing behind the Rein shield...the general vicinity I have been in for the entire game? Maybe announce you are about to boost first so I can get clear? Maybe?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brannock posted:

Eichenwalde is the single worst map in the game

Why are there so many little side paths that don't actually lead anywhere useful at all?

Why are the actually useful side routes beyond the chokepoints? If you can make it past the chokepoint, you don't actually need the side path! If you can't make it past the chokepoint, then you can't access the side path!

Why is the only way into the castle two extremely easily defended hallways? We just blew apart the door with a giant battering ram! Why did the door come back?

A good Reinhardt is an absolute nightmare in those side entrances to the castle. Everyone goes back out in a single Charge, and maybe a hammer to the face. Nevermind Earthshatter.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Last time I got nanoboosted it was as Mei while I had gently caress all health left. I basically saw a blue flash then immediately died. I'm not sure Mei is the best target for the boost anyway.
Still less baffling than when I got a boost as Symmetra and the Ana types in chat "TURBO MICROWAVE CANNON GO GO GO GO GO". It's like... I appreciate your enthusiasm, but c'mon, this is Symmetra. :geno:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I Said No posted:

Last time I got nanoboosted it was as Mei while I had gently caress all health left. I basically saw a blue flash then immediately died. I'm not sure Mei is the best target for the boost anyway.
Still less baffling than when I got a boost as Symmetra and the Ana types in chat "TURBO MICROWAVE CANNON GO GO GO GO GO". It's like... I appreciate your enthusiasm, but c'mon, this is Symmetra. :geno:

Symmetra is a relatively good boost target though

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i have come to the conclusion that tracer is more of a threat to winston than the other way around in a 1v1

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I feel like I'm actually much LESS likely to get kills when I'm nanoboosted as D.Va, what with the big glowing "avoid me in particular!!" effect.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Papercut posted:

No one's arguing that DVa is a better boost choice than Rein :rolleyes:

Wasn't saying that. I was saying that Rein not having to reload is one of the reasons he's such a good (probably the best) nanoboost target. Dva is probably the worst tank to nano. Roadhog is pretty bad unless he is ulting. I feel like Zarya would be a total monster nanoboosted but I never see it happen.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Speaking of D'va nanoboosting, I got boosted while out of the match a couple of days ago. It wasn't even as if I had just had the mech explode, I was just hanging at the back firing at the choke to get my you up.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Same. I was shooting angry blue balls everywhere.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i have come to the conclusion that tracer is more of a threat to winston than the other way around in a 1v1

I got schooled on this so bad a while ago. The 1v1 is not in your favour, despite it feeling like it really should be :bahgawd:

He's still a counter by keeping her off the supports and generally rendering her useless. Plus in a team fight she's an easy pick when distracted.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Wasn't saying that. I was saying that Rein not having to reload is one of the reasons he's such a good (probably the best) nanoboost target. Dva is probably the worst tank to nano. Roadhog is pretty bad unless he is ulting. I feel like Zarya would be a total monster nanoboosted but I never see it happen.

If Zarya is at full charge with her ultimate up, maybe. Otherwise, nah. The crowd control is important, because unlike Rein or an ulting Reaper, Zarya has to keep her aim really tight on those scattering enemy players.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

Speaking of D'va nanoboosting, I got boosted while out of the match a couple of days ago. It wasn't even as if I had just had the mech explode, I was just hanging at the back firing at the choke to get my you up.

Had that happen to me a few days ago. We had 4 down from a Reaper ultimate so I was plinking from afar and Ana decides that was the time to ult.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

If Zarya is at full charge with her ultimate up, maybe. Otherwise, nah. The crowd control is important, because unlike Rein or an ulting Reaper, Zarya has to keep her aim really tight on those scattering enemy players.

On the other hand, with 80+ charge and nanoboost your M1 sounds like an angry swarm of wasps.

I expect Rein to be boosted a lot less if the current nerf on PTR goes live. If you can just kite the boosted Reinhardt he becomes a lot less terrifying.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
On paper, the speed nerf to Ana ult is a buff to genji.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if you use your leap and hit her with the aoe, that's 50 damage for free and almost certainly forces her to rewind. you need to make good use of the shield because she does like 400 dps with headshots (tho she'd have to be real close to actually manage that), but you can easily win that damage race if you play it smart. winston's job isn't so much to kill the tracer as it is to threaten her and keep her zoned out of an area tho; tracer can kill you super fast if you let her

playing winston well requires some thought because, thanks to his fixed dps, he requires way better positioning and use of your cooldown abilities than most other heroes. you can't skill your way out of a bad situation with pure aim, so decision making and not putting yourself in a dumb situation is even more important. he also isn't much of a solo carry and is improved a lot with good teamwork

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I Said No posted:

Sym has 180DPS when fully ramped with nanoboost. The South Koreans were using her as the boost target on Eichenwalde for defending the first point. Course they managed to lock the enemy team into the first spawn room.

The Koreans didn't mess around when they voted for their 3 slots.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So there is no reliable information when exactly the Halloween event will end, is there? Is it 0:00 a.m. local/PST/EST/CET on November 1st? November 2nd? They should know by now that people would like to know in order to play the loot box meta game ...

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

mcbexx posted:

So there is no reliable information when exactly the Halloween event will end, is there? Is it 0:00 a.m. local/PST/EST/CET on November 1st? November 2nd? They should know by now that people would like to know in order to play the loot box meta game ...

My totally unreliable guess is it switches at the time brawl usually switches

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So I've been avoiding comp lately because the solo queue experience at gold is just too frustrating and painful. But I thought I'd have a couple of rounds tonight, see what happened.

First game, my team were 4 solos and a 2-stack and we were vs a 4-stack and a 2-stack. My team had a Bastion and a Junkrat on attack. For defense the Bastion changed to a Dva and didn't use Defense Matrix once that I saw.

Second game was KOTH, my team had two 2-stacks and 2 solos, and we were vs a 5-stack. How the hell does matchmaking even think that's cool? My team had a Junkrat, a Mei, a Pharah, a Genji, and a Lucio who I saw twice throughout 4 rounds. I started out as Winston and basically won the first round by popping rage and beating people away from the point twice, but it was still a 99-99 OT win. I gave up on Winston in the second round because we were not getting any kills - I was hitting them, tickling the squishies a bit and then trying to jump away before they ended me, and achieving nothing, so I went DPS with Soldier. It was not enough to make a difference. I tried McCree and got a couple of headshot picks but no-one ever tried to push or capitalise on them, just hanging back well off the point until they decided to trickle and die.

I think I am giving up on comp.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you use your leap and hit her with the aoe, that's 50 damage for free and almost certainly forces her to rewind. you need to make good use of the shield because she does like 400 dps with headshots (tho she'd have to be real close to actually manage that), but you can easily win that damage race if you play it smart. winston's job isn't so much to kill the tracer as it is to threaten her and keep her zoned out of an area tho; tracer can kill you super fast if you let her

playing winston well requires some thought because, thanks to his fixed dps, he requires way better positioning and use of your cooldown abilities than most other heroes. you can't skill your way out of a bad situation with pure aim, so decision making and not putting yourself in a dumb situation is even more important. he also isn't much of a solo carry and is improved a lot with good teamwork

50 damage is for landing directly on her. It's splash damage that tapers off. Tracer isn't exactly easy to have sit in one place long enough

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Saturday, I started playing Zarya and she's a lot of fun. Bubbling a victim of a Rein charge or saving someone from a D.va/Mei ultimate is great. Chasing Genji as they try to deflect your beam or D.va with her defense matrix is just fun. You can almost hear the panic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I somehow managed to insta die as D.va by using my ultimate in midair while boosting; apparently a Junkrat was doing a concussion mine jump at the same time but died from something (dunno what) and his dropped grenades hit me the moment I popped out of my mech, it was pretty neat watching the kill review footage of Junkrat basically Kamikazing into me only to have my sparking turbo boosting mech explode into 3 of his allies.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

mcbexx posted:

"*Halloween Loot Boxes are available to purchase or earn in-game until 11/1/16 at 4pm PT." Same thing on the pc store

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So even after Nov 1 we wont even be able to buy the Halloween content with our in-game Blizzard Bucks?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think you'd have to wait until next Halloween

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Had a premonition of sombra saying "all your base are belong to us" when capping a point. Be on the lookout folks.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
What if the real sombra....

is us?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

So even after Nov 1 we wont even be able to buy the Halloween content with our in-game Blizzard Bucks?

no, the event items are only available for the duration of the event. so you'd be waiting for anything you don't get now until next halloween. presumably they'll add more stuff to the events over time as well but I'm just guessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Just played a round on offense with a sym that literally never dropped a tp. Offensive sym is bad enough, but drat.