Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

low cost is just one more benefit of using android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

call me old fashioned, but i think reliably making and receiving phone calls is probably baseline functionality for a telephone

this is the exact reason why i will never own an lg phone again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

this is the exact reason why i will never own an lg phone again
don't worry, their latest is flopping

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37816681

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I fill up my current laptop with 500gb pretty quickly if I go scuba diving with the GoPro for a few days on vacation and start editing it down. after I edit it it goes to external storage but 500gb is not very much if you do a lot of video editing while away from home.

dont record video while you scuba dive, just enjoy the dive gently caress

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

mishaq posted:

don't let these poors tell you what to do, also would you be interested in my IoT snorkel startup?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

hm if you aren't able to do both for some reason maybe you should work on your trim

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i just got my mbr back from the apple store, they had it for 6 days and replaced everything but the screen and bottom plate

then i notice the keyboard backlight is broken :negative:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

hm if you aren't able to do both for some reason maybe you should work on your trim

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mishaq posted:

sorry ur peripheral vision sucks so much you have to choose one or the other

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
they removed the startup chime on the new macbooks pros

apple is dead

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

sorry ur peripheral vision sucks so much you have to choose one or the other

lol at someone talking about good peripheral vision when it comes to diving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

same

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sagebrush posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/30/classic-startup-chime-new-macbook-pros/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it was bad enough when they replaced the happy mac with the :geno: apple logo back around the time of the intel switch

but this is just a goddamned travesty

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

infernal machines posted:

the ios 10 phone.app soft locks while receiving calls and when switching to the dial pad multiple times a week on my 5s. apple is now where android was five years ago

maybe you should upgrade to the 5c, it doesn't do that for me

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the startup chime was good because if the display was dead for whatever reason it told you that the laptop was at least booting (this saved me some trouble a few weeks ago actually)

now you have to uh... wait for the bottom to warm up?? go find an external monitor?? idk??

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
you're booting it wrong

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

apple is dead

what in god's name are they even thinking

that chime is the second most iconic sound in computing history after dialup modem ruckus

and they dumped it

my god, I don't really want an apple computer for anything but that chime still makes me happy on the rare occasion i turn one on

god is dead and so is apple

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Does anyone know what the gently caress these computers are https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=model%3A%22macbookpro13%2C1%22+frequency%3A2300+bits%3A64

They're reporting as Macsbook Pro but with a... Core i3?!?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

also this relatively short single-page article about the macbook pro is literally 130 megabytes https://www.cnet.com/special-reports/jony-ive-talks-about-putting-the-apple-touch-on-the-macbook-pro/

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if they're gonna kill the startup chime they might as well pick a new default ringtone for the iphone because goddamn that poo poo is tiring to hear

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
what if they swapped them

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They removed the built-in chime so that they can sell you a tiny USB dongle that plays the startup chime sound whenever you apply power to it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods, please change thread title to "it's dongletown, jake"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

modern Bluetooth headphones sound as good as wired cans

does seinheiser have good lightning connector headphones yet?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

They could do a chinatown remake about startups trying to privatize public services

"manipulation of a critical municipal resource by a cadre of shadowy oligarchs" hmmmm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apple guidelines for touch bar interfaces posted:

Use the Touch Bar as an extension of the keyboard and trackpad, not as a display.
The Touch Bar shouldn’t display alerts, messages, scrolling content, static content, or anything else that commands the user’s attention or distracts from their work on the main screen.
Avoid animation. The Touch Bar is considered an extension of the keyboard, and people don’t expect animation in their keyboard.
Use color tastefully and minimally. In general, the Touch Bar should be similar in appearance to the physical keyboard.
In general, the Touch Bar shouldn’t include controls for tasks such as find, select all, deselect, copy, cut, paste, undo, redo, new, save, close, print, and quit.
lomarf

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

so basically just a black&white pic of timb repeated forever

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the touch bar? :eyepop:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
you know that it's going to be used for ads and only ads.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

you know that it's going to be used for ads and only ads.
russian hn equivalent already had a sketch of malware overriding the bar in the announcement discussion

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
probably won't even be malware, you'll go to nytimes.com or whatever to read the latest headlines and there will be a subscription ad running on the touch thing with animations and a blinking ONLY $4.99 thing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apple tv my rear end ahahahahahah

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beast of Bourbon posted:

probably won't even be malware, you'll go to nytimes.com or whatever to read the latest headlines and there will be a subscription ad running on the touch thing with animations and a blinking ONLY $4.99 thing.

so, we've noticed you're using a bar – blocker. However, it costs real money to run this site

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

a bar – blocker

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my onedrive folder, primarily with documents, is 132gb. research data, kept externally for feasibility reasons, starts at 8 mb/s

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sagebrush posted:

don't put a terabyte of storage in your laptop

i have 256gb and with all my stuff installed and a good load of working files and a linux partition it's still got 60gb free

get a NAS or whatever to dump all your anime rips onto

why the gently caress do people on yospos care about how blinged out other people make their computers. "oh no, that much storage or memory is just too much (because i personally use a machine with less and it's fine)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

why the gently caress do people on yospos care about how blinged out other people make their computers. "oh no, that much storage or memory is just too much (because i personally use a machine with less and it's fine)"
because it's normal thing to care about. people showing companies that it's fine to charge $1.5 for a gigabyte of space are the problem

• Locked thread