Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Maintenance Man Dies After Being Drawn Into 17½-Inch-Diameter Positive Pressure Intake Pipe--Virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It wasn't her striking the column that hurt much.

It was the twenty foot fall onto solid concrete that did.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

quote:

The victim and two co-workers were attempting to replace a blower on a vacuum line with a pressure of 3,740 pounds per square inch (psi). The victim attempted to walk past the unguarded 17½-inch pipe when the vacuum suction pulled his chest against it. He called to his co-workers for help and both men grabbed him and tried to pull him away from the pipe;

Holy poo poo that has to suck. I can't believe that these guys though they could pull him off something with over 250 atmospheres of pressure pulling him in, the only way to save him was to hit an emergency off switch. And why the hell was it still going while they were working on it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

Holy poo poo that has to suck.

Actually its more of a blowing effect

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Assuming there’s a hard vacuum in the line, because :wtf: 3740 psi,

π ⋅ 8.752 ⋅ 14.7 = 3536 lb

Sure, pull him off.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 30, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also I cant believe you didnt continue onto the next line:

quote:

however, the victim was doubled over backwards and pulled 38 feet through the pipe by the vacuum until he was stopped by the intake shroud of the next blower on the vacuum line

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

but with a man and a smaller (comparatively) opening

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Where did the 3.7k psi come into play when he got sucked in?

-e-
3.7k pounds pushing him in sounds more like it.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 30, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Crocoswine posted:

This kills the crab.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Crocoswine posted:

One thing I dont get about that gif is if the pressure is so intense why doesn't it bend that spinning blade? The blade looks fairly thin, maybe its just made of diamond or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Applebee123 posted:

One thing I dont get about that gif is if the pressure is so intense why doesn't it bend that spinning blade? The blade looks fairly thin, is it just made of diamond or something?

There's nothing pushing against the sides of the blade (or rather, it's pushing the same amount on both sides). The pressure differential is from the outside of that red pipe to the inside, which is why the crab gets sucked through that tiny hole.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

So when something like this happens do they just cut off the section of pipe now filled with human jelly and bury that?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Applebee123 posted:

One thing I dont get about that gif is if the pressure is so intense why doesn't it bend that spinning blade? The blade looks fairly thin, maybe its just made of diamond or something?

crabs are a lot softer than steel

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to think a lot of these OHSA accident scenarios are planned out and intentional in order to cull the population. How is it even possible that a person is able to get near an unprotected pipe that insta-kills anyone who gets in front of it, there should be a cage around it or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

qkkl posted:

I'm starting to think a lot of these OHSA accident scenarios are planned out and intentional in order to cull the population. How is it even possible that a person is able to get near an unprotected pipe that insta-kills anyone who gets in front of it, there should be a cage around it or something.

quote:

The personnel director managed the company's safety functions as a collateral duty. The employer had a joint labor/management safety committee that conducted periodic safety meetings. Although written general lockout/tagout procedures existed, machine- or operation-specific procedures did not. This was the employer's fourth fatality.

HR needs to reduce headcount for budgetary reasons.
HR is responsible for safety procedures.

You may be onto something here

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

qkkl posted:

They were replacing a blower, so it was disconnected and partially disassembled. They had removed the old blower with a crane but hadn't installed the new one yet. Even if there had been an intake cage it would probably have been removed to get access to the blower.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:laffo:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Applebee123 posted:

First, we need to talk about parallel universes Delta-P.

http://youtu.be/AEtbFm_CjE0

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Prav posted:

crabs are a lot softer than steel

Well if they'd just put up signs, he might have put on his steel pants.

spog posted:

HR needs to reduce headcount for budgetary reasons.
HR is responsible for safety procedures.

You may be onto something here

I have frequently seen downsizing referred to as "attrition" lately in corporate settings, perhaps this is what they really mean :tinfoil:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Who's taking the picture?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Collateral Damage posted:

Spiderman, duh.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That place looks metropolitan it might be superman

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Maybe a drone, or a colleague being hoisted by a nearby crane.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sponge Baathist posted:

That place looks metropolitan it might be superman

Downtown LA, with our huge homeless population it was probably Hitchcock.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

http://la.curbed.com/2016/9/6/12814650/wilshire-grand-spire-video-tallest-building-la

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

You put your camera on a timer then hurl it away from you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Spires are such bullshit, those shouldn't count.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

Spires are such bullshit, those shouldn't count.

They don't for a lot of measurements. There's generally 3 categories of height for building. Tallest physical point, tallest "structural" point (which is suposed to not include things like antennas and spikes but some people debate what is and isn't included) and tallest occupied floor.

I like tallest occupied floor because anyone can put a huge dumb hat on a building, but actual usable space is what makes a building a building.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think spires look good so I encourage architects to add them, even if it’s for dick‐waving reasons.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Platystemon posted:

Assuming there’s a hard vacuum in the line, because :wtf: 3740 psi,

π ⋅ 8.752 ⋅ 14.7 = 3536 lb

Sure, pull him off.

I'm thinking it's a positive pressure material conveyance system and he got hosed up by the Venturi effect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Story here

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

was expecting the story to be about how someone died making the world's biggest bowl

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ok0LQx0Uc

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

That looks perfectly reasonable?

My stepdad uses an old truck without back wheels for running his saw to cut planks for his carpentry.
Considering the state of the truck he have probably done that for 40 years or so.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2iF8tcBmxk

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Yeah, I read that Peter Theil and other rich weirdos do that. My understanding was that it really doesn't work in humans or that the effects in the mice were exaggerated.

The mice are so inbred they're considered to be clones of each other.

i very much look forward to the hilarious TedVR talk about a new acquired blood disease called "Thiel Syndrome"

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
forgot to post the picture i wanted to post

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Pipeline exploded,

https://twitter.com/StevenA1030/status/793188566679429120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://weather.com/news/news/shelby-county-alabama-pipeline-explosion?cm_ven=FB_NEWS_CW_103116_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Unrelated: Weather.com, strangely enough, has the highest quality click-bait on the internet.