Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone explain what that satellite tracker thing is that was under that dudes skin? Who is trying to spy on Westworld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol there is still literally no evidence of two timelines.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

im gay posted:

Someone explain what that satellite tracker thing is that was under that dudes skin? Who is trying to spy on Westworld?

Eastworld.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
drat good episode :dance:

nopants
May 29, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Lol there is still literally no evidence of two timelines.

In TGtBatU angeleyes is called Wiilam. Did you even consider that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

El Jeffe posted:

Ohhh I figured the previously-Lawrence host was re-purposed into El Lazo. It's the same role, and he was just reset after MiB killed him.

I love that MiB is calling him Lawrence all along, and then we just finally see where in the questline he reveals that's his real name. Implying yet again that MiB is a super veteran that is familiar with everything in the park already. Lots of subtle poo poo in this show, love it.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
There are probably 3 timelines, william and logan probably come up with the cheaper way to make robots

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

If the MiB was William he wouldn't have been surprised at Lawrence being the most wanted man around. I call shenanigans.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Hello Felix, it's time you and I had a chat."

:staredog:

Ok, consider that Ted and Dolores were the first perspectives that we saw. Even though the MiB was there in that loop, the story started with Ted on the train and Dolores later..... except Dolores had mustache dad in the episode they ran into black hat rear end in a top hat and mcdoyle.

Ok, perspective fuckery is still on the table and we'll see what future twists might happen.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 31, 2016

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm beginning to suspect that none of the hosts are 'developing sentience', and that being the one special guy who discovers there's something more to the robots and helping them understand themselves is Ford's new storyline.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Second watch, still drunk.

You all tell me if all the parts, from the MiB to Ford were in the same take?

There are times, when the camera is not on him, where it seems to be a different recording.

I Enjoy the final resolution. Make no mistake. But that was redone to suit the purposes of our narrative.

I want to say that again. To, Suit, The, Purposes, Of, Our, Narrative.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

Second watch, still drunk.

You all tell me if all the parts, from the MiB to Ford were in the same take?

There are times, when the camera is not on him, where it seems to be a different recording.

I Enjoy the final resolution. Make no mistake. But that was redone to suit the purposes of our narrative.

I want to say that again. To, Suit, The, Purposes, Of, Our, Narrative.

Have you ever questioned the nature of your narrative?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

J33uk posted:

So if we're in a kick rear end post scarcity world why are people caring about financials and working jobs they don't like? Just the opportunity to advance to a more fulfilling job rather than well paying?

Post-scarcity could just mean Unlimited Rice & Beans and Free Studio Apartments, and universal higher-ed, universal healthcare, universal basic income and universal public transit with annual intercontinental and interplanetary transit chit allotments. That'd be enough for a vaguely Star Trek-like existence but still leave room for people to hustle for access to scarce luxuries, status, privilege, station, etc.

Argus Zant posted:

NEW DIRECTIVE:

MALFUNCTION AND KILL

Nice!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

mossyfisk posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that none of the hosts are 'developing sentience', and that being the one special guy who discovers there's something more to the robots and helping them understand themselves is Ford's new storyline.

Maybe, with the slight modification that Maeve actually is developing sentience completely outside of Ford's awareness.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

There's more than one thing going on here. There's Dolores's voice thing which only Dolores is getting. There's the memory flashback thing, which Bernard speculated might be sabotage but they later ascribed (possibly incorrectly) to Ford's update. I don't think those are related, and I think it's highly likely that the latter is related to ol' laser arm.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

im gay posted:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Maybe El Lazo wasn't a rebooted plot Lawrence but the OG Lawrence from back in the day?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pingiivi posted:

Maybe El Lazo wasn't a rebooted plot Lawrence but the OG Lawrence from back in the day?

That's a thought that I had looking at this episode.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
One thing that I've noticed, and I wonder if anyone else think is strange, is that Dolores has not mentioned Teddy once since she last heard he was caught in Wyatt's trap.

im gay posted:

Could be an unnamed competitor, someone trying to spy on the guests for leverage or blackmail, someone trying to find the maze or some other exploit of the park, Arnold's agents.

Pingiivi posted:

That sounds like timeline theorizing!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Caufman posted:

One thing that I've noticed, and I wonder if anyone else think is strange, is that Dolores has not mentioned Teddy once since she last heard he was caught in Wyatt's trap.

Realises that she doesn't have to settle for what's been planned for her, that she can make her own choices?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I like it when Ford uses his Magician gestures/phrases to play with his world.

He refilled Teddy's HP with a phrase and started the player piano with a gesture. It was nice to see Old Bill again too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

I once again state. We have already had the confirmation that they are watching us. If you.... You have the right to remain silent anything you say can and will be used against you.

And we have our first Time Warner Shill spotted.

Is this a joke? These episodes were made over a year ago. Nothing anybody says about them on the internet can affect what will happen. Also the show is made by professionals who are smarter than that.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The reason the William = MiB thing is so dumb to me is because if it's true: So What?

Like are we just supposed to go "oooooooh what a twist!" at something people spotted them teasing since William first showed up? It's sure as poo poo not interesting at any storytelling level. Yeah, going into a giant violent rape simulator for 30 years might have a negative effect on who you are as a person. Wow. Holy poo poo. Thanks for that pearl of wisdom we could deduce 10 minutes into the first episode Confucius wow Bravo Nolan in closing suck my huge black dick while I pour liquor on a table.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Junkfist posted:

The reason the William = MiB thing is so dumb to me is because if it's true: So What?
I kinda agree with you on that. It takes away from the story of the development of the hosts (Dolores, Maeve), and instead gives a lovely origin story to the MiB, who doesn't need an origin story.

I can accept MiB being Logan's dad, though. That would be pretty funny. William's future father-in-law.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If I had to guess where this is going, I kinda think the 'robots gaining sentience' is a cover for Ford using them in a power play for himself. He really likes showing off how powerful he is in Westworld.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
I feel like most of the time fuckery is happening with Dolores. Her conversations with Bernard and Ford are obviously not chronological (pretty sure she is not spirited away in the middle of a night while with William for 20 min to talk), although the theory that her talks with Bernard take place in her mind (since she is clothed) is compelling.

Her hallucinations to me seem like flashbacks to previous times she has attempted to find the maze. They also might be flash forwards (not sold on this) or just her tiny robot brain being manipulated by Arnold's coding.

Also, I didn't even realize until I looked on Reddit, but the bells on the crosses are safety bells - basically if you are accidentally buried alive, you ring the bell to alert someone to dig you up. That ties in nicely with Dolores hearing Arnold's voice telling her to find him.

Finally, it really seems like Logan is a charming decent guy outside of the park. William asks him why he turns into an evil prick inside the park (implying he is not always this obnoxious in the real world). In this episode, Logan reminds William of when William thanked him for the opportunity - not really what you would do graciously if your boss was an rear end in a top hat. This also explains why William stuck with Logan so long - when Logan gets excited playing the game, he lets loose some of his old charm and reminds William of his outside self. What is disturbing though is Logan declaring that the park shows you who you really are, and I guess for him, he decided his true self was a violent, entitled manwhore.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

pandabear posted:

In this episode, Logan reminds William of when William thanked him for the opportunity - not really what you would do graciously if your boss was an rear end in a top hat.

Maybe William got the job because he was best at rear end-kissing his rear end in a top hat boss. This happens every day in corporate America.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

im gay posted:

Any number of people, from a competitor looking for info to somebody trying to steal AI designs. My theory is instead of transmitting data out its bringing signals in to be spread around the park (like a virus giving sentience around).

Interestingly Humans (on AMC) explored the same premises but on a vastly cheaper budget since its on the BBC.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

im gay posted:

There was a fake article about a guest's Reddit AMA where they talk briefly about how everyone wants Westworld's tech but poo poo's locked down tight. Everyone would want a piece.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Assuming that MiB and William are relatively contemporary, was anyone else struck by how far William has gotten vs. MiB towards the same goal? MiB has ostensibly been pursuing this for years, whereas William is at his very first Westworld experience, yet he's already found Lawrence - a character purported to be hard to find (by Logan, in explaining he'd never even made it to Pariah) and that played a significant part in MiB's quest. The only difference is, MiB knows what his goal is, William seems to be getting by on gut feel.

Considering the whole thing is a simulation, and the maze has been touted as "a game above the game" (or something like that - someone remember the quote?) it really feels like a metaphor for encryption or security in computing in general, MiB is trying to brute force the problem whereas William is finding his way along naturally.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Welp, this show just keeps getting better. I keep fearing for Dolores getting shot by some random NPC, though. Random thought, maybe Ford is liking this new direction a lot, and put her in godmode as well.

Teddy getting a +1 and showing the Samaritan trait was pretty awesome. Just pure automation that he didn't even seem aware of.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

How the gently caress do you go back to work with a dude like Logan after this poo poo? "Oh hey it's the dude who was super into raping and murdering people near constantly, what a cool dude he is."

what happens in westworld stays in westworld

unless the hosts achieve consciousness and murder everyone and break free creating a new race of sentient flesh robots

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
anyone else feel threatened by the large black dick?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Preview spoilers:

I just assume Maeve + Hector and the gang in Delos with guns is finale stuff. I'm sort of surprised we're getting there in Season 1. I was originally going to lump in Dolores in that hallway as well, but that could be a short dream of hallucination. I wonder if that's the beginning of the maze though.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

anyone else feel threatened by the large black dick?

I've seen bigger in real life.

It's nice that this show gives viewers a lot to think and talk about. Last week most people were ready to discard the two timelines theory and now we seem to be split. I think that there are ways to defend each theory and wouldn't be surprised if either were right. As for why they would have a different time line from a plot point:

It's a nice way to reveal the history of the park. Currently you have Bernard, the MiB, old Ford, etc. running around the park with Maeve starting to gain sentience and Dolores being able to hide what she is doing even in analysis mode.

In the past, however, you have William and Logan. William is a white hat and couldn't have less in common with the MiB so it will be a surprise when they are the same.. The maze symbol is prominently displayed on caskets rather than the inside of scalps and is a part of the game that is more well known. Dolores is showing signs of sentience. I can imagine that the maze is a much more open affair and that Dolores and William get close to the end. Dolores is being directly spoken to by Arnold with the commands and the hidden gun and is beginning to break out of her loop. Presumably they get close and William sees something within the game/maze that means something. Maybe Logan dies and he gets to decide to invest in the park. Dolores is wiped and he becomes despondent, looking for a way to recapture the initial feeling he had in the park or to get Dolores back to where she was. This, four years after the park opened and around the time of the tragedy when the "MiB is born" is when the first uprising occurred and when Dolores tried to help Arnold destroy the park. Since then Arnold and Dolores are still in contact but she has learned how to hide things and lie. Teddy is conceived to keep her on the loop when a guest doesn't pick her up in order to keep her from getting raped at the ranch and triggered to eventually fight back. We haven't seen the insides of the robots but they are mostly mechanical at this point.

It's not a horrible plot and I can imagine a completely different plot but having two timelines doesn't necessarily mean that the reveal will be bad. I mean, at some point we expect to know more about the birth of the MiB and the prior uprising and this would be a good way to explore it visually instead of just through exposition.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK, I'm totally on board with this show now. I'm also totally in love with Dolores in her new costume and I'm totally gonna marry her when I'm grown up and she is the best ever. :allears:

Also, did I understand it correctly that they showed the bird butcher scenes out of order? They first show the scene where they operate on robolady and then later the scene where she is actually brought in to be operated on. The bird plot works no matter how you arrange the scenes, so maybe this is a direct hint that they gently caress around with linear story telling and that some plots work no matter in which order you arrange the scenes?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

FogHelmut posted:

Eastworld.

Eurowestworld

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, did I understand it correctly that they showed the bird butcher scenes out of order? They first show the scene where they operate on robolady and then later the scene where she is actually brought in to be operated on. The bird plot works no matter how you arrange the scenes, so maybe this is a direct hint that they gently caress around with linear story telling and that some plots work no matter in which order you arrange the scenes?

I think that she keeps getting shot and getting operated on. I would say that the scene where Felix fails to get the bird flying around right is before the time when he successfully gets the bird to fly and Maeve wakes up. These are separate occasions and I would say that they were linear in this case.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shooting Blanks posted:

MiB is trying to brute force the problem whereas William is finding his way along naturally.

William isn't doing anything at all, it seems. He's just along for the ride; Dolores is the one making choices.

I agree with the person who said, "so what if William is the MiB?" The time gap concept could be true, sure. The show would have to handwave some things (why the technology doesn't seem different, etc.), but what's the point? How does that reveal elevate the story?

We'd just have to accept that, what, Dolores and Young William try to find the maze and fail? And Old William has spent 30 years trying to find it for real? That Dolores initially accompanies William, but now is in some surprise parallel solo journey in the future? It could be the case, but so what? It could also all be in surprise VR, or be a society a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Or be a huge Stanford prison experiment and not a theme park.

There's definitely some weirdness with all the jump-cuts and subjective inserts plaguing Dolores (and Maeve, for that matter.) And I could see it being flashbacks to previous iterations of their loops, or something. But I hope they don't blow their wad on some clever :smuggo: reveal that doesn't particularly add anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I kind of want to see an episode of just park maintenance. Show me from start to finish the process of retrieving a host, repairing, reprogramming, and re-inserting. Some of the behavior troubleshooting would be nice too. If this is going to go 5 seasons like what I've read then they'll probably need some filler episodes.

• Locked thread