Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I literally just realized that A) this is out and B) it came out at the same time as BF1

I wish I had been paying attention, I thought it was TF1 advertisements on Origin, I probably would have bought this instead :(

So, better/likely to last longer than the first game? Worth buying if I already paid into BF1?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I didn't get too far in the beta but I think the Ticks are a decent boost. I've managed to bag a few kills with them, admittedly it's probably a use to kill ratio of 10/1 but a better player would place them better, I tend to throw them immediately and see what happens.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RatHat posted:

So what boost do you guys like the most?

The anti-infantry turret absolutely mows down Grunts and sometimes gets a cheeky kill on a Pilot or two. It's fun to stick it in a major traffic lane and watch it go to work.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
Somehow I completely missed that this has come out. I picked it up and played a few single player missions. Seems better than average.

The multiplayer, though. Hoo-eee am I a flaming bag of idiot garbage. I love the way the controls feel and how responsive the shooting is. Nothing like the shitshow of the last many CoD titles. As good as it feels and as bad as I'm doing I'm having a blast with it.

Anyone on PS4 who wants to be dumb idiot garbage bros together with me should hit me up, psn: DJLunchboxx.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The single player campaign is hella fun and really well made. It's just very... Enjoyable? In a way most video game campaigns are not. Like I loved Black Ops 3's campaign if only for the fact you play as a Canonically lesbian player character and because it was also legitimately great in other ways, but even that campaign felt like a chore occasionally whereas titanfall's was always very fun.

Also he very beginning of the opening mission when you're landing on typhon was great. Felt like a sci fi D-day sorta deal. I quite enjoyed it.

I do wish there was an IMC campaign though. Sometimes you want to be the evil empire.

Actually that is a very minor criticism. It's not a very nuanced story. Rebels are good fighting against a comically evil empire/corporation. I mean the whole thing is a cliché for a reason, but still, vaguely disappointing.

Also the multilayer is very fun and it turns out I'm really good at amped hard point. It's also pretty fun how it transforms from domination into all titans all the time as soon as someone gets titanfall, but it's actually excellent.

And the CAR is OP. I mean I love it, but it's very good.

Also also I'm torn between my love for Ion and Legion. Legion is better against titans but Ion just rips pilots apart. Can't wait till I unlock Tone.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
There's no way to get a refund if I bought this from GMG is there? I played through the campaign, it was cool, played a couple multiplayer matches and was disappointed. So now I have a game I bought at launch that I'll probably never play again.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There's no way to get a refund if I bought this from GMG is there? I played through the campaign, it was cool, played a couple multiplayer matches and was disappointed. So now I have a game I bought at launch that I'll probably never play again.

No, but it doesn't really sound like you have a compelling reason for one.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I ate this slice of cake but didn't really like the icing, please retrieve the full slice from my stomach and give me my monies back please.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mr.Citrus posted:

I ate this slice of cake but didn't really like the icing, please retrieve the full slice from my stomach and give me my monies back please.

I was just asking a question, I didn't need the snark

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

veni veni veni posted:

Did they buff the ticks since the beta? They seemed kind of lovely but I see people using them a lot now.

Still only been killed by one tick since the game came out though.

What's fun is to shoot the ticks when they are near your friendly pilots. Whoops.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Okay Ion's laser shot feels hilariously broken. It does absurd damage to titans and one-shots pilots, and its cooldown is fairly quick. And you can stock 2 at a time.

EDIT: I feel like it might get nerfed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my god what kind of AAA game in TYOOL 2016 doesn't have a borderless windowed option built into the game, jesus.

I know there's the command line option but that specifically gets my goat Totalbiscuit style :mad:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I kind of expected shotguns to be useless in this game but they're surprisingly fun with a little bit of map knowledge and good use of cloak.

Really having a blast trying all the weapons, actually. I'm glad the XP system gives you strong incentive to do that.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
How do you maintain speed?.. I was watching this video of someone doing the gauntlet in 20 god drat seconds in the pre-alpha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWhwG2lETNA and either there's some trick to getting 50mph that I can't comprehend or they lowered the overall speed after the pre-alpha.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like bunnyhopping.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The key for speed is wallrun/jump/wallrun/jump combo and never touch the floor.

And Personally, I have achieved my peak. I have killed an enemy dropship as a Ronin with my sword

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you crouch in mid air, it buffers a slide when you hit the ground, which maintains your momentum. It's more buttons than TF1 but since it's buffered you're less likely to miss because of bad timing.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Lemming posted:

If you crouch in mid air, it buffers a slide when you hit the ground, which maintains your momentum. It's more buttons than TF1 but since it's buffered you're less likely to miss because of bad timing.

The one caveat is that if you buffer it in the air you cannot change which direction it will slide. It will go in the direction of your initial momentum rather than where you are aiming/looking.

If you wait till your feet barely hit the ground and then slide it'll go where you're aiming.

Honestly it was a huge ordeal just to get below 33.6 for me. Not even going to bother trying to learn how to bunnyhop.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does Stim counter the Rodeo countermeasure?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
We just went on a most disgusting win streak with the goon group. Played a bounty hunt where the score was like 5000-289 at the end. If this game dies it's because of assholes like us who roll the pubs too hard. :unsmith:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

RatHat posted:

Does Stim counter the Rodeo countermeasure?

Stim does not grant you any regen if you take damage during.

keyframe posted:

We just went on a most disgusting win streak with the goon group. Played a bounty hunt where the score was like 5000-289 at the end. If this game dies it's because of assholes like us who roll the pubs too hard. :unsmith:

It was good times :respek:

Let me know if you need a battery in the future!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Knifegrab posted:

It was good times :respek:

Let me know if you need a battery in the future!

Haha man you on point with those batteries.

I will never use anything other than the extra battery boost though. Spawning your titan every time with extra shield is just way better than any other boost on that list. Especially since I play Northstar and she is really squishy.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
it was annoying going against actual coordination

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Pubs didn't understand how Salvo core worked on launch day. :allears:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Things I died to tonight:

An Archer aimed at a friendly Titan

A Reaper falling on my head

Amping that stupid 4 burst grenade launcher, firing, and having a friendly titan walk over me as I shot, detonating on me and killing me

Sliding into a melee aimed at another player

Titanfall :allears:

Ion is kinda eh, I don't find him super exciting to play, but holy poo poo he shuts down Legion like nothing else. Legion can't do anything to you. Shoots? Shield. No shoots? Shoot him.

Also Northstar seems like it should be some sort of support titan, but I keep posting consistently good games with her. Salvo core is too much fun, and sniping pilots never gets old. Three dashes and tether makes you incredibly annoying to catch, and playing peek and poke games with a plasma railgun aimed is a losing proposition for the other guy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Northstar just seems like a worse tone in every way :/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Boy it sure is nice when a drop pod of grunts drops right in front of you.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Northstar just seems like a worse tone in every way :/

Extra dash, railgun hits like an absolute truck if you are good at sniping crit points, tether stops pursuit and/or locks down targets to get hosed by teammates, cluster missile is good in basically every situation and excels at smashing pilots in buildings.

Also hilariously, hover is a solid remedy to Tone's shield if you have nearby cover to hide behind. Charge railgun -> hover -> snipe crit point over shield.

(every Titan is a worse Tone, Tone OP)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

victrix posted:

Things I died to tonight:

An Archer aimed at a friendly Titan

A Reaper falling on my head

Amping that stupid 4 burst grenade launcher, firing, and having a friendly titan walk over me as I shot, detonating on me and killing me

Sliding into a melee aimed at another player

Titanfall :allears:

Ion is kinda eh, I don't find him super exciting to play, but holy poo poo he shuts down Legion like nothing else. Legion can't do anything to you. Shoots? Shield. No shoots? Shoot him.

Also Northstar seems like it should be some sort of support titan, but I keep posting consistently good games with her. Salvo core is too much fun, and sniping pilots never gets old. Three dashes and tether makes you incredibly annoying to catch, and playing peek and poke games with a plasma railgun aimed is a losing proposition for the other guy.

Sliding down some stairs at low health right into an enemy grunt and getting melee'd by it :allears:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The only thing I hate about Northstar is its Core ability. The second you take to the sky to rain down your missiles, you are going to take fire from every enemy Titan, and you only have 3 health pips.

Aside from that, Northstar is a beast. Northstar and Scorch have to be my favorites.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

victrix posted:

Extra dash, railgun hits like an absolute truck if you are good at sniping crit points, tether stops pursuit and/or locks down targets to get hosed by teammates, cluster missile is good in basically every situation and excels at smashing pilots in buildings.

Also hilariously, hover is a solid remedy to Tone's shield if you have nearby cover to hide behind. Charge railgun -> hover -> snipe crit point over shield.

(every Titan is a worse Tone, Tone OP)

Ok let me be more clear. I am terrible with northstar. Also the travel time on the railgun is surprisingly slow.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

ninjahedgehog posted:

The anti-infantry turret absolutely mows down Grunts and sometimes gets a cheeky kill on a Pilot or two. It's fun to stick it in a major traffic lane and watch it go to work.

The anti titan turret on the other hand is a complete piece of crap. It does do damage, it just has the life expectancy of a gnat.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Also is there some secret to Northstars core ability? I feel like it doesn't do that much damage...

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
justice rains from ab-

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Also is there some secret to Northstars core ability? I feel like it doesn't do that much damage...

Not really, the damage is solid but you do need to land all the shots, and if they're they're smart enough to shield/dash the right way it falls off badly.

Main thing is because of the angle, you are more exposed, but on a lot of maps, they can't get 'behind' cover, because there isn't any from your position.

Also choosing when to use it, going into the air in the open in front of a 3/4 health Legion is a terrible idea, doing it over a melee scrum of a bunch of friendly and enemy titans, or on a medium/light titan you just drilled with a full charge crit rifle shot and a cluster missile is a lot more deadly.

Like a lot of gear in this game, I find the sheer coolness factor makes up for the actual power :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nalin posted:

The only thing I hate about Northstar is its Core ability. The second you take to the sky to rain down your missiles, you are going to take fire from every enemy Titan, and you only have 3 health pips.

Aside from that, Northstar is a beast. Northstar and Scorch have to be my favorites.
How the hell do you play Scorch? Northstar and Scorch are probably my worst performing titans tonight as I cycled through all of them to get those easy levels. I understand Northstar well enough, I'm just bad at it, but Scorch just leaves me scratching my head.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Insert name here posted:

How the hell do you play Scorch? Northstar and Scorch are probably my worst performing titans tonight as I cycled through all of them to get those easy levels. I understand Northstar well enough, I'm just bad at it, but Scorch just leaves me scratching my head.

BURN EVERYTHING

Scorch excels in Attrition/Ragebank, or playing defense in CTF/Hardpoint.

He's tanky as gently caress like Legion, and Flame Shield absorbs anything (and does damage, melting pilots who try to rodeo you is stupid easy).

Basically spam canister bombs and ignite them in chokepoints/buildings/control points/clumps of grunts/etc.

You can also completely gently caress up clusters of enemy titans with his offense + ult.

Just don't try to engage in normal head to head titan combat and lamely spamming your basic thermite shot at them, it doesn't work well. You can use the ease of killing ai grunts to charge your core quickly, so do that instead, or play on defense where a push against you has to deal with you on your terms in the terrain you choose.

I don't think I'd use him for LTS though, too slow to flank quickly and lacks the direct firepower of Legion.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Anyone know if the "cannot connect to mp server" (or whatever the message fully is) has gotten a resolution? A mate still can't get in even though their internet is fine.

E: Tone story of the day: new bunch of players try to clamber on my robert from the front, they all get popped by the 40mm. Past a certain point, leading your shots aren't required anymore. It was funny seeing the flees hop towards me. :haw:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 31, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

never played tf1 skipping COD and bf1 isn't really my thing where my ps4 peeps at, impulse bought this to get my FPS fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Here's an effective Scorch tactic - throw your canisters in a choke point, ignite them (easier with flame wall than your launcher), then back up around a corner. Most people are idiots and will gently caress themselves up charging through your fire to get to you. When they turn the corner, you're waiting to cook 'em with the flame shield.

Also, hitting something above an enemy pilot can make the thermite rain down on top of them. Useful for pilots behind cover. I've gotten some kills that way that would have made me real mad if I'd been on the receiving end.