Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite thing about NPM, aside from hundreds of Mbs of dependencies in node_modules, is the fact that it only speaks JSON, so there's no sane way to comment on dependencies or scripts more complex than the defaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand, ugh, another package manager?

On the other hand, ugh, NPM.

I'm torn.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kobayashi posted:

My favorite thing about NPM, aside from hundreds of Mbs of dependencies in node_modules, is the fact that it only speaks JSON, so there's no sane way to comment on dependencies or scripts more complex than the defaults.

Yes, this is terrible.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Kekekela posted:

Ok thank you for clarifying. I was just thinking of what you would call the way everyone's going to do it, what's the word for that?

Would 'defacto' work?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e: killing my own derail

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 12, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone figured out what to do if Yarn uses a different version of Node than NPM? I've been using n for versioning until now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's a good pattern for optionally assigning object properties?

What would be nice is if I could do this:
JavaScript code:
const maybe = False;
const iHaveOptionalProperties = {
  iExist = true,
  iMightExist = maybe ? 'i do exist!' : undefined;
};
Unfortunately this happens:
JavaScript code:
> 'iMightExist' in iHaveOptionalProperties
> true
So, I currently create the object with for-sure properties, and then using logic add (or not) optional properties...and this sucks.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/in

Read the part about undefined and delete

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Right, it's because of that behavior I'm asking the question.

The cleanest solution I've come up with so far is build the object like in my first example and then build another object with lodash:

JavaScript code:
const maybe = False;
  iExist = true,
};
const fixedObjectWithUndefinedRemoved = _.omitBy(iHaveOptionalProperties, x => !x);
Of course, this isn't really a solution for the general case since there might be properties that should be there with falsey values. It's good enough for me in what I'm working on right now, but I seem to encounter this kind of pattern not-infrequently.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 18, 2016

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
you have to delete the property

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

tyrelhill posted:

you have to delete the property

Yes, I know, but building the object and then having a bunch of if's to delete properties doesn't save me anything from what I mentioned before...having a bunch of if's to add properties.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

You could do your own shallow copy like
JavaScript code:
function s_copy(from, into) {
    for (var i in from) {
        //maybe also hasOwnProperty ?
        if (from[i] !== undefined) {
            into[i] = from[i];
        }
    }
}//untested!
Doesn't that do what you want?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would write it like this

code:
const maybe = false;
const iHaveOptionalProperties = Object.assign(
    { iExist: true },
    maybe ? { iMightExist: 'i do exist!' }
          : {}
);

> false

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Flat Daddy posted:

I would write it like this

code:
const maybe = false;
const iHaveOptionalProperties = Object.assign(
    { iExist: true },
    maybe ? { iMightExist: 'i do exist!' }
          : {}
);

> false

Oh nice - I really need to get used to more of the ES6 features

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

You could do your own shallow copy like
JavaScript code:
function s_copy(from, into) {
    for (var i in from) {
        //maybe also hasOwnProperty ?
        if (from[i] !== undefined) {
            into[i] = from[i];
        }
    }
}//untested!
Doesn't that do what you want?

Yeah, that's somewhat equivalent to my _.omitBy solution and has the same failing (i.e. maybe there are properties that are supposed to be undefined)...though it's probably good enough.

I guess what I wish for is some extra syntax for object literals.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
You can write it in ES7 as
JavaScript code:
const maybe = true;
  iExist: true,
  ...(maybe && { iMightExist: 'i do exist!' })
}
Edit:

Thermopyle posted:

I guess what I wish for is some extra syntax for object literals.

as you wish

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's a neat idea.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

If you go with the shallow copy approach, you can (ab)use the enumerable flag to skip properties you want to leave out. I use it to hide server-only properties (mostly roomgen process stuff that might be handy later) from JSON.stringify. Only really useful if you have a lot of stuff you want to kinda ... anti-template?

code:
Object.defineProperty(thing, 'prop', {enumerable:false})

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 18, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
That doesn't help if he wants the key enumerable when a value is present.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Build up a giant list of what you want and use Object.defineProperties?

You could also use your lodash thing and just use x !== undefined as your condition.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Thermopyle posted:

What's a good pattern for optionally assigning object properties?

What would be nice is if I could do this:
JavaScript code:
const maybe = False;
  iExist = true,
};
Unfortunately this happens:
JavaScript code:
> true
So, I currently create the object with for-sure properties, and then using logic add (or not) optional properties...and this sucks.

how much of a hack do you want it to be?
JavaScript code:
const maybe = false;

const iHaveOptProps = {
  [maybe ? 'iMightExist' : Symbol()]: 'i do exist'
}

> false
BUT

JavaScript code:
Reflect.ownKeys(iHaveOptProps)
> [ Symbol(), 'iExist' ]

Object.getOwnPropertySymbols(r)
> [ Symbol() ]

Object.getOwnPropertyNames(r)
> [ 'iExist' ]

Or instead of having Symbol(), just use another property value.

JavaScript code:
const maybe = false;

const iHaveOptProps = {
  [maybe ? 'iMightExist' : '_dne']: 'i do exist'
}
delete iHaveOptProps._dne; // cleanup

> false

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I could really use something similar to the JS Iterable interface, but also employs a previous() method and maybe first() and last(). I don't see anything like that in es6 or in Immutable (I'm using both in my project). Does something like that exist without having to either make it myself or pull in another dependency? I feel like I might be overlooking something. I know I could use an array and keep track of the index myself, but this would be a lot more pleasant to look at.

Like this: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/ListIterator.html

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Nothing exists in stdlib for that. I'm not familiar with any libraries that do that, but you either need one of those or write your own.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
I've got an existing web application that makes use of the knockout.js foreach binding to populate a data table like so:

code:
<tbody data-bind="foreach: records()">
        <tr>
        	<td data-bind="text: column1"/>
                <td data-bind="text: column2"/>
                <td data-bind="text: column3"/>
                <td data-bind="text: column4"/>
       </tr>
</tbody>
I'm trying to swap over to using the bootstrap-table plugin for making the table pretty, and the data does display, but the table acts like there is no data in it i.e. at the end it has 'No matching records found', none of the functionality like sorting or pagination works. I understand that the reason it's doing this is because the knockout data is being loaded after the document ready event, but I can't work out how I would go about forcing a refresh on the table so that it is able to find the additional data.

I've tried reinitialising the table with $('#table').bootstrapTable({}) after all the data has been loaded, but no luck. Is there any way of getting it to play nicely with knockout?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
After having used AngularJS 1.x for a year and a half, I thought I'd take a peek at AngularJS 2.x this weekend. Apparently they wanted AngularJS 2.x to have a smaller learning curve, so I was a bit surprised as to where AngularJS 2.x has ended up. To be more precise; it seem like all they might've gained in lowering the learning curve, they lost by the much heavier front-load.

Am I wrong when thinking this? A year and a half ago I got up and running with AngularJS 1.x in less than half an hour, while the setup for AngularJS 2.x is not only a lot longer, there's also a lot more that you need to know already or setup. How will this not drive new webdevelopers away from AngularJS 2.0? But time will tell I guess.

Batham fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 31, 2016

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Batham posted:

After having used AngularJS 1.x for a year and a half, I thought I'd take a peek at AngularJS 2.x this weekend. After hearing that they said they wanted to make AngularJS have a lot smaller learning curve, I really wasn't expecting what AngularJS ended up being. To be more exact; it seem like all they might've gained by possibly lowering the learning curve they lost by the much heavier front-load.

Am I wrong when thinking this? A year and a half ago I got up and running with AngularJS 1.x in less than half an hour, while the setup for AngularJS 2.x is not only a lot longer, there's also a lot more that you need to know already or setup.

For me it's definitely been the same experience. The need for extra tools for things like transpiling the typescript, having to learn both TS and the new framework, and all the extra config files beyond package and babel .Jason really make it harder to get up and running or change something about your workflow. Plus the angular 2 docs are even worse than those for 1 so that doesn't help.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Batham posted:

Am I wrong when thinking this? A year and a half ago I got up and running with AngularJS 1.x in less than half an hour, while the setup for AngularJS 2.x is not only a lot longer, there's also a lot more that you need to know already or setup. How will this not drive new webdevelopers away from AngularJS 2.0? But time will tell I guess.
I felt the same way until I tried out angular-cli. Within seconds I had an Angular2 codebase up and running with a build setup that wasn't too complex to understand and handled things like TS transpilation, bundling, etc... It allowed me to skip all the bullshit of setting up Webpack, and I felt as though this setup the tool spit out was the "right" way to start an Angular2 project because it came from the Angular people. It's worth a shot if you just want to get to coding.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I honestly just said gently caress it and dove in further into React when ng2 reared it's ugly mug. I think it will eventually be a good evolution and departure from 1.x but eh, don't want to deal with the growing pains of it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Angular 2 is great, the only problem it has is that you can only use it for SPAs. Using it in a server-side app is incredibly annoying thanks to having a root component + its desire to control the DOM.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Anyone have any good resources for learning three.js? The examples and docs seem great but a little unapproachable for someone that's not all that familiar with 3D programming. Most of the tutorials I can find just outline how to render a scene with a cube, and not much else. Videos seem pretty scarce as well.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

gmq posted:

Angular 2 is great, the only problem it has is that you can only use it for SPAs. Using it in a server-side app is incredibly annoying thanks to having a root component + its desire to control the DOM.

Interesting, by server-side do you mean isomorphic rendering with Angular 2 or just true multi-page MVC type back-end?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
There's also Angular Universal that's supposed to enable server-side rendering of Angular2 apps: https://github.com/angular/universal

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

wide stance posted:

Interesting, by server-side do you mean isomorphic rendering with Angular 2 or just true multi-page MVC type back-end?

MVC backend, like Rails. For example with Angular 1 you could put ng-app in the layout, ng-controller in the view and you had access to angular logic within your rails view. Even Angular 1 components still work in that kind of environment. However, since Angular 2 requires total control of everything inside its own root component there's no clear upgrade path for that kind of app. Vue works much better for that kind of thing and it's what I'm trying to push as a modern replacement to Angular 1 in my job.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't had a need to use isomorphic/server-side rendering yet, but from my little understanding React/Redux works pretty good for that too.

For someone who has looked into in more detail or used them...how does React/Redux compare to Angular 1/2 or Vue?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

ROFLburger posted:

Anyone have any good resources for learning three.js? The examples and docs seem great but a little unapproachable for someone that's not all that familiar with 3D programming. Most of the tutorials I can find just outline how to render a scene with a cube, and not much else. Videos seem pretty scarce as well.

Honestly if you're not already familiar with 3D programming it's going to be pretty hard. The "docs" don't actually explain anything about anything. so when I worked with it I had to lean heavily on my co-workers at first.

Is there anything specific you need help with? Do you have a mental model of what cameras/geometries/materials do? Are you going to write shaders?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'm working through the Build an HTML5 Game book, and came across the author's direction to assemble a Modernizr library, including Modernizr.load. This is a depreciated function, based on yepnope.js, which is itself depreciated. This is the code that pre-loads jQuery as listed in the book:

JavaScript code:
Modernizr.load({
	load: "//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.js", complete: function() {
		if(!window.jQuery){
			Modernizr.load("_js/jquery-1.8.2.min.js");
		}
	}
});
Head.js looks like it can do the pre-loading before Modernizr is initialized, but I'm curious what other alternatives might be out there.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
async defer?

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I'm working on a recursive problem -- it's a guessing game that plays itself and uses a simple algorithm to guess the right answer in the fewest steps.

I don't understand why I can log to the console from above and within an if statement inside my function but I can't for the life of me return a value from the exact same spot in the same if statement. The function is recursive, and it's hitting the end case where outcome === 0 but it only returns undefined from that point. I never get any output.

I am misunderstanding something very basic about Javascript return statements.

You can test this by running:
pre:
advGuessMyNumber(guess);
And, if you run it twice, in succession, it does execute the return but all the globals are the same, so I don't know why it exits without a return on the first "successful" execution.

JavaScript code:
var numberOfGuesses = 0;
var upperBound = 100;
var lowerBound = 0;
var random = false;
var guess = upperBound/2;

function advGuessMyNumber(input) {
  var outcome;
  guess = input;

if (random === false) {
    random = randInt(upperBound)
    numberOfGuesses +=1;
  } else {
    numberOfGuesses +=1;
  };

if (input === random) {
    outcome = 0;
  } else {
    if (input > random) {
      outcome = 1;
    } else {
      outcome = -1;
    };
};

console.log(outcome);

if (outcome === 0) {
    console.log("I can't return from here, but this logs out to the console");
    return "success";
  } else if (outcome > 0) {
    upperBound = input;
    advGuessMyNumber(input - Math.ceil((input - lowerBound)/2));
    } else {
    lowerBound = input;
    advGuessMyNumber(Math.floor((upperBound-input)/2)+input);
  };
};

function randInt(n) {
  return Math.floor(Math.random() * (n + 1));
};

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 12, 2016

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Edit: Wait ignore me I totally misunderstood your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Because you have multiple return points which, IMHO, is bad code.

Add:

return advGuessMyNumber(input - M...

return advGuessMyNumber(Math.floor

You're better off with something like

https://jsfiddle.net/9h7dqgzk/2/

geeves fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2016