Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

It seems like His Beatitude didn't like stand, I hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, he liked the stand very much.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

System Metternich posted:

This papal trip is really cool and I'm actually looking forward to the 500 year anniversary next year, but what I decidedly didn't like was the horrible fanfic I read in one of Germany's most prestigious weeklies today about the Pope getting rid of transsubstantiation to reconcile the churches which was good because he abandoned this “medieval superstition“ but also bad because it gave Benedict the opportunity to declare himself antipope :shepface:

I also didn't like the title story in another weekly (written by a pastor's son) about Luther and his influence on German history that read like Catholics stopped existing or at least mattering with the Reformation. I'm German *and* Catholic, yes that works! :mad:

my dad (my actual dad irl) is really excited about this, because he supports reconciliation between the two churches. even if it's just a gesture, it's still a really nice gesture

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I'm actually looking forward to the 500 year anniversary next year
everyone i know is stoked as gently caress for 1618 instead

edit: i have been informed that i meant 2018

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 31, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gonna celebrate the anniversary with a nice game of Europa Universalis

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Every year I re-read Luther's theses, and each time I can't but smile at how much he defends the Pope as the Vicar of Christ in them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The college Lutherans in town used to nail the theses to my church's door but they wimped out past couple years

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In less Lutheran news, the Ecumenical Patriarch put out this letter commemorating his 25th anniversary, which my priest (and I suppose any priest under the EP) read in full during the Liturgy today. Which meant I got to hear my parish priest utter the phrase "space debris."

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Gospel at Mass posted:

Luke 19:1–10

At that time, Jesus came to Jericho and intended to pass through the town. Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man, was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way. When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said, “Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house.” And he came down quickly and received him with joy. When they all saw this, they began to grumble, saying, “He has gone to stay at the house of a sinner.” But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, “Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over.” And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house because this man too is a descendant of Abraham. For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost.”

So this was the reading today at Mass. Because of health issues, I have had to go to the 10pm student mass at a local university. The priest said that in the reading he always sees Zacchaeus as George Costanza, and I howled in laughter. Unfortunately, because almost everyone in the room was under 22, I was just about the only person who laughed. :blush:

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 31, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And not to lose face, I had to give half of my possessions to the poor, Jeremiah! Half of my possessions!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Paladinus posted:

And not to lose face, I had to give half of my possessions to the poor, Jeremiah! Half of my possessions!

:swoon:

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Ya know, this is a really random question, but it's prompted by the volunteering I intermittently do with the red cross, the 4th anniversary of Sandy (and me being where Sandy hit), etc.

Liturgigoons (and others), how much does your church/denomination prepare for disaster/catastrophe? I'm not just talking "our parish hall is a shelter for the red cross", but "We do in fact have Plans prepared for if someone tries to blow up the diocesan chancery or otherwise decapitate us as an organization, and we could survive that"? (Actually, Orthodox and Catholic goons, that's a good question - are we screwed if someone blows up the diocesan chancery and takes out the records of, say, baptismal certificates not held by a parish?)

Not that I see such scenarios as likely or even probable, but events in, eg, Hong Kong make me wonder - how prepared would our faith communities really be for disasters, both natural and man-made? (Hong Kong comes up because I'm wondering what any of the liturgical denominations would do if the Chinese revoked one country two systems.)

(There's also the reality that preparing for unlikely man-made scenarios puts you in pretty good stead for the various natural disasters, too.)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Happy 499th Reformation Day, Protestant goons! :) Today is a holiday in most Protestant states in Germany (but it nearly always falls into the holidays surrounding All Saints' Day in Bavaria, so whatever), but for the 500th anniversary next year all states have agreed to designate it a national holiday for 2017 only, which is a really neat gesture imo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my dad (my actual dad irl) is really excited about this, because he supports reconciliation between the two churches. even if it's just a gesture, it's still a really nice gesture

I totally agree, and I'm actually somewhat sad that my brother (who lives in Weimar atm, like 50m away from the Herderkirche where Luther gave sermons, Bach frequently played and where he had two of his children baptised and where Johann Gottfried Herder worked and lived for 30 years as pastor) probably will have moved away from there before October 2017 because you just know that they will party it up there! It's just that the upcoming anniversary apparently also gives rise to a certain sort of German-Protestant "chauvinism" which I thought had died off for good after WW2, where I'm suddenly reading lots of pieces about Luther and the Reformation which are pretty much propaganda. In those texts Protestantism apparently still defines itself through a decidely anti-Catholic lens, and the authors just can't help themselves to drop petty digs against Catholicism (just today I read about "the supposed grave of the supposed Peter" in Rome, which isn't just pointless dissing but also makes no sense at all :psyduck:) and act like you can only be a modern and proper German when you're Protestant or at least Protestant-influenced. Did you know that Luther invented modern human rights? Me neither :v: It's actually quite fascinating, because some of the stuff I've read during the last couple days (in highly renowned national papers, no less) almost reads like anti-Catholic pamphlets from 1870s Prussia. That might be a uniquely German thing though (and hopefully will have run its course soon), idk

But other than these weird guys suddenly popping up I'm pretty stoked for 2017 (and 2018 too, don't you worry Heygal ;)), especially the museum exhibitions will be a treat

Spacewolf posted:

Ya know, this is a really random question, but it's prompted by the volunteering I intermittently do with the red cross, the 4th anniversary of Sandy (and me being where Sandy hit), etc.

Liturgigoons (and others), how much does your church/denomination prepare for disaster/catastrophe? I'm not just talking "our parish hall is a shelter for the red cross", but "We do in fact have Plans prepared for if someone tries to blow up the diocesan chancery or otherwise decapitate us as an organization, and we could survive that"? (Actually, Orthodox and Catholic goons, that's a good question - are we screwed if someone blows up the diocesan chancery and takes out the records of, say, baptismal certificates not held by a parish?)

Not that I see such scenarios as likely or even probable, but events in, eg, Hong Kong make me wonder - how prepared would our faith communities really be for disasters, both natural and man-made? (Hong Kong comes up because I'm wondering what any of the liturgical denominations would do if the Chinese revoked one country two systems.)

(There's also the reality that preparing for unlikely man-made scenarios puts you in pretty good stead for the various natural disasters, too.)

That's an interesting question! I actually have no idea, though that might also be because natural disasters like earthquakes or hurricanes are more or less unheard of in (southern) Germany - the only possible disaster we have been facing throughout much of the last 65 years or so was the Cold War going hot with Germany as the frontline, and it's not like anything would have been left standing around here in this case, preparation or no

e: in honour of the upcoming 500 year anniversary of the Reformation, have this portrait of young Martin Luther sporting a giant neckbeard:

(that's when he was hiding at Wartburg Castle in 1521/22 under the pseudonym of "Junker Jörg" :ssh:)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 31, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Junker George

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really have an answer but the question made me want to reread A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just wanted to direct your attention to this work of art I saw recently in one of my parish's churches:

It's part of a poster advertising this year's procession in honour of St Leonhard at a pilgrimage church not far away (I posted about this saint's cult and the specific church in the previous thread). It's so stylish, and Catholic, and Bavarian. It's perfect :allears:

That does it, I'm converting. Great piece of religious art there.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Spacewolf posted:

Liturgigoons (and others), how much does your church/denomination prepare for disaster/catastrophe? I'm not just talking "our parish hall is a shelter for the red cross", but "We do in fact have Plans prepared for if someone tries to blow up the diocesan chancery or otherwise decapitate us as an organization, and we could survive that"?

After the terror attacks in Paris there were some rumblings in the Vatican that we needed a contingency plan just in case the pope and all the cardinals under the age of eighty were all killed at the same time. Catholics would be left with no ability to select a new pope, to nominate new cardinals or to call an ecumenical council to change the current rules for the papal conclave process. I don't know if anything ever came of that, though.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
This seems like a good place to ask about faith. I'd like to know about faith, in general, and how one comes to develop it from a position of no faith (or a position of doubt in one's faith). Faith is something I don't honestly think I've ever experienced, in a religious sense, and so it's a bit baffling to me. So, if one feels inclined towards religious belief, but cannot find a way to rationalize it, how does faith occur and grow? Does the Spinoza definition of God count for purposes of faith?

Any recommendations for reading material on the topic, or personal input, would be awesome.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

cerror posted:

This seems like a good place to ask about faith. I'd like to know about faith, in general, and how one comes to develop it from a position of no faith (or a position of doubt in one's faith). Faith is something I don't honestly think I've ever experienced, in a religious sense, and so it's a bit baffling to me. So, if one feels inclined towards religious belief, but cannot find a way to rationalize it, how does faith occur and grow? Does the Spinoza definition of God count for purposes of faith?

Any recommendations for reading material on the topic, or personal input, would be awesome.

I came to faith from no faith. Basically, I prayed for willingness to believe in my (divinity of choice), and for signs of their help in my daily life. The signs came, in the shape of a miracolous recovery from a disease I have, and I have tried to strengthen and develop the relationship from there.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

What do you do when you can't love your enemy?

(if you're into trigger warnings, then consider one from here on out. Also let me say I know how self-absorbed it is to make a horrible crime all about my own angst.)

What prompted me to ask this is a case that's currently being tried in Hong Kong, where a banker tortured and killed two women (the facts aren't in contention, the trial is over whether he was fully responsible, given his alcohol and drug use). The perpetrator was someone I knew, quite a few years ago (no internet detectiving please). He wasn't someone I was close with, and I can't actually remember a single conversation I ever had with him, but for a period I was frequently in a group that included him. I honestly have no memory of thinking anything positive or negative about him.

When I first read about the crime, I was horrified, but was also able to summon up some vague distant compassion for him, as a clearly very disturbed and unhappy person. Then I forgot about it until today, when I read some details from the court case. These were in a very explicit article in a UK tabloid. I really don't advise anyone to look for it, as they were very disturbing. Other news sources skimmed over or skipped some of the most macabre details. Basically one of the people killed was tortured, in multiple ways specifically designed to sexually humiliate her and remove her dignity as a human. The other was killed quicker, but not before she sent some gut-wrenchingly sad texts for help.

It seems impossible to feel any compassion for the killer. I don't want to hurt him, but I hope he gets removed from society, and dropped down a hole so nobody ever has to think about his face or name again. But I'm horribly aware that that same instinct, to see other humans as objects that can be got rid of when they get inconvenient, is exactly how he treated both his victims. He's not going to vanish when he gets convicted, but will go on being a human, who is presumably just as in need of Jesus' love as everyone else.

And yet to feel pity for him seems incredibly disrespectful to the people he hurt so badly. Particularly as he was enormously privileged, and the two people he killed were migrant sex workers, a type of person who have often been treated as somehow less worthy of dignity and compassion.

tl;dr I've somehow managed to live my life so far without noticing that "love thy neighbour" is a hard command to follow.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr Enderby posted:

And yet to feel pity for him seems incredibly disrespectful to the people he hurt so badly. Particularly as he was enormously privileged, and the two people he killed were migrant sex workers, a type of person who have often been treated as somehow less worthy of dignity and compassion.

tl;dr I've somehow managed to live my life so far without noticing that "love thy neighbour" is a hard command to follow.
You don't have to pity him. That's asking a lot more than is expected to you. You have to acknowledge that God loves him, and that God loves him just as God loves you, and to (attempt to) love him as another flawed human.

That's not the same as saying "Okay, he was justified"; it's saying "God has reasons to be furious at all of us, and if I get mercy, so does he."
And yeah, I have sure not perfected it. I keep promising not to hate anybody in the current American political campaigns, and I keep doing it anyway. Not hating isn't a one-time struggle that you win, it's a lifelong battle, at least for me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Golden Rule is not a fire-and-brimstone edict that requires you to, always and at all times, have in your heart the love emotion toward all humans on the planet. It is more a teaching that everyone is human, and that you should open your mind and heart toward the Earthly reality that is outside yourself.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

In those texts Protestantism apparently still defines itself through a decidely anti-Catholic lens, and the authors just can't help themselves to drop petty digs against

Did you know that Luther invented modern human rights? Me neither :v:

The thing is, both of these statements are kind of true. To a degree. Sort of. At the least, they are related to actual historical trends.

The first thing I quoted is easy, because the word "Protestant" pretty much says it all. It is a movement of people who were protesting about something. And the something that they were protesting was Catholicism, or at least parts of it. So when your founding myths and early thinkers often defined themselves as what they weren't, not just what they were, this colors how later generations think. And also I think it's important to point out that this is not solely a Protestant phenomenon. In every church you will find people hating on other churches. A saying I have often heard is that the Devil works hardest within the church, which I myself don't take literally, but it's something to keep in mind.

The human rights thing is a bit of a stretch to connect directly to Luther. However I think it is inaccurate to exclude him and other church reformers from Western history when it comes to the rights of common people. Many movements for human and civil rights can be traced back (at least partly) to the Reformation.

People being jerks about it is not good though, of course :v:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Mr Enderby, I know how you feel. I have a former friend who joined ISIS.

I suppose a big difference is that in her case, I actually do feel incredible pity for her. The article goes into great detail about her struggles in life and her desperate search for meaning and identity. But even beyond that, I always think back to the friend I remember, the cheerful and passionate activist who was in my writing group. I also remember one of our last conversations--mostly that it was, ironically, a positive and illuminating chat about religion, after her conversion to Islam. All I can really do is pray for her, in the hope that God can lead her to some kind of repentance, or bring some good out of her evil.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

As I've said so often when these things come up, spiritually we humans are imperfect beings. Striving towards following the command is all we are ever capable of, but if we choose to strive, we attain spiritual growth. Spiritual perfection is for saints and angels, but we shall become found by searching for it.

And I'm not coming from some high and mighty grasp of things either, I judge other people harshly every single day - but I know that I must work towards loving them, and in knowing I become better at it with time.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The thing is, both of these statements are kind of true. To a degree. Sort of. At the least, they are related to actual historical trends.

The first thing I quoted is easy, because the word "Protestant" pretty much says it all. It is a movement of people who were protesting about something. And the something that they were protesting was Catholicism, or at least parts of it. So when your founding myths and early thinkers often defined themselves as what they weren't, not just what they were, this colors how later generations think. And also I think it's important to point out that this is not solely a Protestant phenomenon. In every church you will find people hating on other churches. A saying I have often heard is that the Devil works hardest within the church, which I myself don't take literally, but it's something to keep in mind.

The human rights thing is a bit of a stretch to connect directly to Luther. However I think it is inaccurate to exclude him and other church reformers from Western history when it comes to the rights of common people. Many movements for human and civil rights can be traced back (at least partly) to the Reformation.

People being jerks about it is not good though, of course :v:

Oh, I totally agree, but see: you began your post with some qualifiers. The texts I'm ranting about don't tend to do that :v: (And there totally is a subsection of, say, Catholics, who still delight in calling Protestants dirty heretics, of course, but those rarely make it into prestigious national papers around here)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Tias, what evil pagan rituals have you been up to recently?

Facebook has been spamming me with suggestions that I might be interested in attending Midgardsblot. Am I going to have to check my house 13 square meter living space for vikings looking for a sacrifice or something? :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 1, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

my dad posted:

Tias, what evil pagan rituals have you been up to recently?

Facebook has been spamming me with suggestions that I might be interested in attending Midgardsblot. Am I going to have to check my house 13 square meter living space for vikings looking for a sacrifice or something? :v:

No such thing, I'm afraid. The next blot is Vinterblot in the middle of December. I have been praying that you all are well, though, so maybe getting crunk on mjód and praising the old gods is just in G-rocks plan for you?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

No such thing, I'm afraid. The next blot is Vinterblot in the middle of December. I have been praying that you all are well, though, so maybe getting crunk on mjód and praising the old gods is just in G-rocks plan for you?

Huh. After some googling, turns out it's just a metal festival in Norway. Oops, sorry for the false alarm.

It's not like I can afford to travel anywhere, anyway. :v:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Mr Enderby posted:

It seems impossible to feel any compassion for the killer. I don't want to hurt him, but I hope he gets removed from society, and dropped down a hole so nobody ever has to think about his face or name again. But I'm horribly aware that that same instinct, to see other humans as objects that can be got rid of when they get inconvenient, is exactly how he treated both his victims. He's not going to vanish when he gets convicted, but will go on being a human, who is presumably just as in need of Jesus' love as everyone else.

Has he even sought repentance or forgiveness?

Now I'm a layman in every sense of the word but I always assumed forgiveness was not given freely but that one had to seek it out through a genuine desire for it and a guilt at past sins. I always found the most heartwarming display of faith to be forgiveness and not repentance personally because we all have done things to wrong someone that we regret but how many of us have the strength to truly forgive someone who has destroyed something we hold dear and welcome back with open arms someone who burned all their bridges with us?

I don't think I do.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Man Whore posted:

Now I'm a layman in every sense of the word but I always assumed forgiveness was not given freely but that one had to seek it out through a genuine desire for it and a guilt at past sins. I always found the most heartwarming display of faith to be forgiveness and not repentance personally because we all have done things to wrong someone that we regret but how many of us have the strength to truly forgive someone who has destroyed something we hold dear and welcome back with open arms someone who burned all their bridges with us?

I don't think I do.

:protestantsay: side remark, if it's allowed: Forgiveness is 100% free and actually already earned for everyone but it's not forced on those who don't want it.

Basically the same thing you said but as a person who often struggles with feelings of inadequateness and outright guilt I find the phrasing important. Asking for forgiveness is hard when you (rightly) feel you don't deserve it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Valiantman posted:

:protestantsay: side remark, if it's allowed: Forgiveness is 100% free and actually already earned for everyone but it's not forced on those who don't want it.

Basically the same thing you said but as a person who often struggles with feelings of inadequateness and outright guilt I find the phrasing important. Asking for forgiveness is hard when you (rightly) feel you don't deserve it.

A good protestantsay!

We should not wreck ourselves with our poor self-worth, because God probably doesn't.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Valiantman posted:

And forgiving someone else is not necessarily about welcoming them back with open arms, it's about letting go of the hurt and desire for vengeance and moving on. Rather than stewing in your bitterness and letting your hatred of the person ruin the rest of your life, you move the incident to the "poo poo happens" box and get on with living.

As you said, the hardest part is when I'm the perpetrator = accepting forgiveness and moving on with my own life, rather than beating up on myself for being a schmuck. We have to pick up the pieces and keep striving to be better, while remembering but not dwelling on the past.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Man Whore posted:

I don't think I do.
I think the people who can forgive people who killed their (e.g.) children are being saintly, and I hope I never find out if I can do it.

My own take is that *I* don't have to forgive [insert serial killer]; that's up to God and the people s/he directly wronged. Forgiveness is not mine to give or deny. Christ just said I shouldn't judge their sins, and that I have to love them. Thus my rationale is that I can leave the forgiveness up to God, while focusing on the task that is my own duty: to love. Which, again, is hard and a daily struggle and I mostly suck at.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I suppose this discussion is as good a time as any to mention that Calvary is a great film and that you should watch it if you haven't already.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Anyone here going to the AAR meeting this year?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Samuel Clemens posted:

I suppose this discussion is as good a time as any to mention that Calvary is a great film and that you should watch it if you haven't already.

Seconding this. It's pretty harrowing, but it's a fantastic movie.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oh man it has Brendan Gleeson in it, that's going on my watchlist

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, I totally agree, but see: you began your post with some qualifiers. The texts I'm ranting about don't tend to do that :v: (And there totally is a subsection of, say, Catholics, who still delight in calling Protestants dirty heretics, of course, but those rarely make it into prestigious national papers around here)

Don't worry, now that we have a lot of non-religious people in Western society, we have newspaper editorials that are equally tone-deaf and offensive whether you're Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu... :v:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Don't worry, the rise of non-religious people in Western society means that a lot of newspaper editorials are equally tone-deaf and offensive whether you're Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu... :v:

Reading 2015 piece by John Gray about the radicalisation of New Atheism (a fascinating read btw which I can only recommend) made me think about the bolded part of your post. Gray claims that the teleological rationalism of the New Atheism movement is now confronted with a resurgence of religion and religiously-motivated politics throughout the world. Looking at the Western world, this obviously rings false; looking at church membership statistics would be enough to lay doubt on that notion (again, only concerning the Western world, seeing as, say, the Islamic revival is very much a thing). On the other hand I'm wondering: is it truly the case that Western society as a whole grows less religious? I suspect that this only really works when you a) see religiosity only through the lens of being a member of an established religious subgroup and b) don't account for the strong historical influence by (organised) religion on society and culture fading away. Things like this survey in the UK that says that

quote:

[E]ight out of 10 people polled agreed with the statement that “there are things in life that we simply cannot explain through science or any other means.”
Six out of 10 non-religious people also agreed with that statement.
A majority of people (59 per cent) said they believed in the existence of some kind of “spiritual being” while three in 10 defined God as a “universal life force”.
Only a quarter said they actively believed in angels, a smaller proportion than said they had faith in the existence of “spirits”.
The research also showed that almost a quarter of those polled had turned to tarot card readings and one in 20 had had their “aura” read or attempted healing with crystals.
But traditional approaches remain strong. While half the population do not believe that prayer can heal people, almost two in five do.
And just over half said they turned to prayer at least occasionally.

make me think that "religiosity", when seen as a belief in the supernatural, as vaguely defined as it may be, isn't actually going anywhere. Or is it? I'm not too sure on this subject, maybe one of you guys can tell me more about the future of belief in the Western world.

• Locked thread