Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

that's actually somehow worse than knowing this because you bought skyrim again
Haha, would you believe I didn't actually do it? A coworker was the one what done it, I just looked over his shoulder, and read some comments on Eurogamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

I've been replaying Dead Rising 1 and it's still cool. Survivor AI is still poo poo and you're essentially just giving them way points and praying they'll follow while you clear the way for them though.

It's better to think of them as a mobile death squad. Just remember to give them your nearly broken or empty weapons and use food on them if they somehow get hurt. But they're essentially a death mob that can kill psychopaths for you. As you mentioned, waypoint them instead of follow and they're amazing. They are remarkably capable when armed.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ape Agitator posted:

It's better to think of them as a mobile death squad. Just remember to give them your nearly broken or empty weapons and use food on them if they somehow get hurt. But they're essentially a death mob that can kill psychopaths for you. As you mentioned, waypoint them instead of follow and they're amazing. They are remarkably capable when armed.

This really wasn't true for me in DR1 when I replayed it, but it works fairly well in DR2 and they're pretty much unstoppable when armed in OTR.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DR1 is weird because the survivors seem to have different temperaments so they can sometimes be absolutely useless even when armed. I'm slowly trudging my way through a playthrough for the Saint trophy and the number of times I've given skittish survivors a shotgun or a katana only to watch them just stand perfectly still and let themselves get surrounded by zombies drives me mad. I swear, Dead Rising makes me swear at my TV more than most actual online PVP games. MOTHERFUCKER I GAVE YOU A loving SHOTGUN STOP COWERING AND GO TO THE loving WAYPOINT GOD drat IT gently caress YOU DIED NOW I HAVE TO RELOAD

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dead Rising 1 is still good and this is coming from someone who enjoys all of the games except 3

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
DR1 is the best.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I realized that I never got around to DR1 like two days after I sold my 360 and I'm still kicking myself about it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still have my 360 copy otherwise I'd probably be getting a PS4 version. Unless the PS4 version is actually an improvement performance wise?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Captain Baal posted:

I still have my 360 copy otherwise I'd probably be getting a PS4 version. Unless the PS4 version is actually an improvement performance wise?

Uh, yeah, the PS4 version is 1080p and can get to 60 FPS, although it does dip.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only times I've ever noticed DR1 dip is when you're doing the Zombie Genocider thing in the maintenance tunnels but that's you putting the game under the most possible amount of stress.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one of the best parts of dead rising is the liberal use of hitstop on all your attacks that make you feel like a strong fellow so constant performance dips are just more of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crappy Jack posted:

Uh, yeah, the PS4 version is 1080p and can get to 60 FPS, although it does dip.

Yeah I heard about the dips and that was kinda putting me off, but it's not like DR1 was a technical powerhouse as far as consistent frame rate goes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does anyone have experience with how PS2 classics on PS3 work with the PS4 controller? (Jeez that's a lot of PS) I have a Dualshock 3 but the left stick is somewhat busted so I'd prefer not to use it. Some PS1 games seem to work fine with it but others don't which makes me a bit worried that it may be game by game with these, too.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah I heard about the dips and that was kinda putting me off, but it's not like DR1 was a technical powerhouse as far as consistent frame rate goes.

A lot of people mistake hitstop for slowdown, so keep that in mind when reading stuff about it. If they don't specifically mention hitstop, they're probably misunderstanding what is happening.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Amppelix posted:

Does anyone have experience with how PS2 classics on PS3 work with the PS4 controller? (Jeez that's a lot of PS) I have a Dualshock 3 but the left stick is somewhat busted so I'd prefer not to use it. Some PS1 games seem to work fine with it but others don't which makes me a bit worried that it may be game by game with these, too.

Kinda irritating how many games don't work on PS3 with a DS4. Telltale games do some kind of controller check and refuse to start at all if you're not using a DS3. Completely unnecessary. And the triggers appear to work differently; any kind of driving minigame is impossible or frustratingly difficult with a DS4. I had to temporarily switch back to my DS3 during the driving parts of Resident Evil 6 because even with the trigger held all the way down on my DS4 the car would only go about half speed, making the chase parts literally impossible. And the driving minigame in Yakuza 5 is jerky awfulness.

I ended up getting RE6 for PS4 so that particular problem is solved. Off topic, but that game became a lot more fun when I took the advice of someone here who said to play the game like a brawler, not a shooter, and to only use your guns as a backup form of offense or against bosses and other enemies immune to melee. The game is actually easier that way!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Worth noting is that the Dualshock 2 and 3 both had pressure-sensitive face buttons, while the DS4 does not, and the games which rely on this on PS2/3 don't work at all with a DS4.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

univbee posted:

Worth noting is that the Dualshock 2 and 3 both had pressure-sensitive face buttons, while the DS4 does not, and the games which rely on this on PS2/3 don't work at all with a DS4.

MGS 2 and 3 are especially troublesome.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Ugh, I hated those pressure sensitive buttons. As far as I can tell, most people weren't fans of them. I could never properly interrogate guards in MGS3; Snake would just slit their throats. I quit trying.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I never had a problem with the analog buttons. I beat MGS 1-3 with zero kills. I somehow managed a single kill in MGS4, and to this day I have no clue how or when it supposedly happened.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MisterAlex posted:

I somehow managed a single kill in MGS4, and to this day I have no clue how or when it supposedly happened.
The APC turret section at one point throws power armour at you mixed in with all the drones. Killing it is a pilot kill.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

SelenicMartian posted:

The APC turret section at one point throws power armour at you mixed in with all the drones. Killing it is a pilot kill.
Bleh. That might've been it, then. Dumb.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
So instead of getting Salt & Sanctuary to round out my spend $100, I took a chance and got Steamworld Heist instead. It's been doing me pretty right for $20, for what it is. The reviews seem to be partly based on expectations from the dev cycle which I can't really comment on.

What I can say is another common complaint is that penalties for dying are too harsh, which I'd say is pretty much BS. I'm liking the risk/reward inherent in the ability to adjust difficulty before every fight, and even if I lose the "currency" loss is pretty minimal even in the mid-high difficulty range.

I did only realize after buying it and Firewatch that the spend $100 window technically ends the night of Nov. 1, so for anyone shooting for that, any sale starting tomorrow should be game for it as long as you're quick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MisterAlex posted:

Bleh. That might've been it, then. Dumb.

That's EXACTLY where I got a kill on my attempted no-kill playthrough. Drove me insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember testing out the pressure sensitive buttons on PS2 gran turismo. The throttle would go to like 10% then rocket straight to 100%. That's when I knew they were poo poo. I'm glad Sony dropped them.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The only game I remember pressure sensitivity actually having working settings between 0 and full blast was Okami. But if you were using the pressure sensitivity at all you were likely just using it for the broadest brush setting anyway, rendering the whole function kinda pointless.

I'm glad it's gone.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In MGS at least it was less sensitive to pressure and more to velocity, which seemed way smarter for how short the throw was on those buttons. MGS doesn't really care about how hard you hold the button so much as how slowly you push it in/release it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/31/fight-for-survival-in-zero-escape-the-nonary-games-out-next-year-on-ps4-ps-vita/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That's cool but I wonder what they're gonna do with ending of 999, which used the fact it was on DS in a way that would be hard to replicate.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Some back-touch rubbing minigame?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I wonder if they are using the visual novel version of 999, since that already had upgraded art and there are no puzzles.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm presuming this means we'll eventually get Zero Time Dilemma on PS4? I never got around to playing it on 3DS and I don't have a Vita.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Amppelix posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the answer to this is that booting up Suikoden 3 just turns off the Dualshock 4. Oh well, it can actually be controlled by the d-pad and the right stick anyway because the devs were insane.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like you have to play the entire game using the right analog stick to move now. When are you ever going to get a chance to do that again?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SelenicMartian posted:

Some back-touch rubbing minigame?

Which Vita title is this?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

Which Vita title is this?

Monster Monpiece is the first one that popped up from googling, but I feel like there are more...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I mentioned before that Siren (PS2) is on sale (though only for PS3 for some reason) but actually both the PS2 version and Siren: Blood Curse are on sale. psprices didn't alert me about it because for some reason I had the separate episodes listed on my wishlist instead of the collection. But you can get all episodes for $8 right now. The Halloween sale ends tomorrow so you just have a few more hours to pick up all 3 Fatal Frames, Siren and its remake for about $25. Which is insane. Jump on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I almost bought j stars victory vs+ for $15 today but I wasn't sure if it was a bad game or not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I almost bought j stars victory vs+ for $15 today but I wasn't sure if it was a bad game or not
Its

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the newer one called eyes of heaven is a decent beat em up if you don't mind it spoiling all the best moments of the show but victory vs is a crumby game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drop for 11/1
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/30/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-1112016/

Blazblue Central Fiction
Cod Infanite Warfare (Friday release)
Destroy all humans
Earth's dawn
Grand Prix Rock n Racing
Honor and Duty: Arcade
O! my genesis vr (friday release)
Ronin
Seraph
Steamworld Collection
Super Dungeon Bros
Tumblestone