Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The 3rd party support i want on switch is the support 3ds gets currently of exclusives. I could care less about western aaa games on switch because i can get them for the same price on a platform with more power that i already own.

I'm hoping that they can continue to make development of smaller exclusives cost effective for altus, capcom, etc on switch

Isn't a thriving unique ecosphere on the Switch the best case scenario? Like, what if developers just start making Switch games, instead of trying to port stuff over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real hurthling! posted:

The 3rd party support i want on switch is the support 3ds gets currently of exclusives. I could care less about western aaa games on switch because i can get them for the same price on a platform with more power that i already own.

I'm hoping that they can continue to make development of smaller exclusives cost effective for altus, capcom, etc on switch

Yeah, I would like to see that continue as well. Atlus RPGs are real good, and so is Monster Hunter. Those are like the two things I'll buy full price, no questions asked. The only Nintendo first-party franchise that gets that level of trust from me is Pokemon.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Isn't a thriving unique ecosphere on the Switch the best case scenario? Like, what if developers just start making Switch games, instead of trying to port stuff over?

Would be good to get a bunch of original titles, but I honestly do want portable versions of the Wii U library and many of my favorites from the last gen as well.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Would be good to get a bunch of original titles, but I honestly do want portable versions of the Wii U library and many of my favorites from the last gen as well.

Same, and rest assured, fellow Switcheroo, Nintendo is going to mine the Wii U for all its gold.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

People really want to have a console that's both a viable single home console contender and a new fun quirky Nintendo thing for children, Nintendo decides to meet them halfway

Seriously though no console since the loving SNES has been the primary target of big 3rd party developers, I could imagine it's the same people getting disappointed every new console launch

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Same, and rest assured, fellow Switcheroo, Nintendo is going to mine the Wii U for all its gold.

I dunno, they could have released a lot of gamecube games on the wii u but they didn't for some dumb reason. Switch ports of Wii U games will need a whole lot of more work than that

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Reason is that the default Wii U controller options lack the analogue shoulder button functionality of the Gamecube controller, thereby requiring substantial alterations to any Gamecube titles considered for release on Wii U.

Yes, obviously the gamecube adapter alleviates this, but that's two peripherals you need to own before you can play the game you just downloaded, and that potential for consumer frustration equals bad optics for Big N.

(Nintendo letting the two-mode shoulder buttons go might actually have been their most heinous mistake, hardware-wise, in history. Only non-GC controller with that feature pairity is the loving Steam Controller, and its implementation is a pale imitation.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I dunno, they could have released a lot of gamecube games on the wii u but they didn't for some dumb reason. Switch ports of Wii U games will need a whole lot of more work than that

But they've already shown off what are probably upgraded ports of two Wii U games. It's a very cheap way to pad out the release schedule, which Nintendo has admitted was a big problem with the Wii U.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think trying to get the same games as the other systems is the wrong idea. There's no reason to buy an xbone over a PS4 or vice versa. You'll get the same experience on both aside from a few exclusives. Nintendo should be wanting developers to make unique games on the Switch.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

(Nintendo letting the two-mode shoulder buttons go might actually have been their most heinous mistake, hardware-wise, in history. Only non-GC controller with that feature pairity is the loving Steam Controller, and its implementation is a pale imitation.)

The original non-pro Classic controller had them, oddly enough.

They were never used, but they were there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think trying to get the same games as the other systems is the wrong idea. There's no reason to buy an xbone over a PS4 or vice versa. You'll get the same experience on both aside from a few exclusives. Nintendo should be wanting developers to make unique games on the Switch.

yes but there are also some people who are not going to buy a console that doesn't support certain major titles and it makes sense for Nintendo to try to attract even just one of those

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I want a weird-rear end throwback Shin Megami Tensei game that makes it super clear that your character's COMP is just a Nintendo Switch. Let us keep the portable Fusion app like SMT 4 had, but make it so you can only Codex Summon when you dock it because the demon has to physically crawl out of your TV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the previous Nintendo consoles had gone for parity with the other consoles, I'd maybe agree. Was Gamecube even getting the same games as Playstation and Xbox? I remember in the 90s, games would come out on both N64 and PSX but the Wii was never supposed supposed to be the same. I've always seen the Wii as a separate console that you also own to play Nintendo games. I think the Switch will be the same.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i've had that will smith song in my head since someone posted it, and i didn't even listen to it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I want another chibi-robo game like the first game :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah Gamecube got most multiplats in that era, but there were a lot more exclusives on every console back then and not everything was multiplat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

If the previous Nintendo consoles had gone for parity with the other consoles, I'd maybe agree. Was Gamecube even getting the same games as Playstation and Xbox? I remember in the 90s, games would come out on both N64 and PSX but the Wii was never supposed supposed to be the same. I've always seen the Wii as a separate console that you also own to play Nintendo games. I think the Switch will be the same.

if they make any dent at all in getting multi-platform titles then you don't exclusively have to sell it as nintendo's unique special flower

that's why i used EA's sports games as a prior example, they are wildly popular and have relatively simple graphics. getting those games on switch would solve the problem of trying to sell it as a second purchase for a pretty large market.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

GameCube got a lot of multiplats and was often vying with the XBox version to have the best-looking version of quite a few games. Side by side a lot of PS2 versions of games are very clearly worse-looking. The GameCube was built to compete with the PS2, but unfortunately for Nintendo so was the XBox and PS2 sales were a loving force of nature. MS hadn't had an opportunity to make game retailers and third party devs hate them yet, unlike Nintendo, who are assholes any time they have anything resembling success. So with MS and Nintendo vying for second place at least here in America, MS got the benefit of the doubt from Target et al.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wicka posted:

if they make any dent at all in getting multi-platform titles then you don't exclusively have to sell it as nintendo's unique special flower

that's why i used EA's sports games as a prior example, they are wildly popular and have relatively simple graphics. getting those games on switch would solve the problem of trying to sell it as a second purchase for a pretty large market.

The gimped versions of Madden they sell for the 360 and PS3 prove this wrong. They exist, they satisfy a certain audience, but the people who actually base purchasing decisions on Madden aren't going to settle for something that isn't the real Madden. You're also really underestimating how much horsepower sports games use.

Seriously, you either compete on power or you live without AAA multiplats. There is no third solution to that problem, barring a Wii-style aligning of planets.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The gimped versions of Madden they sell for the 360 and PS3 prove this wrong. They exist, they satisfy a certain audience, but the people who actually base purchasing decisions on Madden aren't going to settle for something that isn't the real Madden. You're also really underestimating how much horsepower sports games use.

Seriously, you either compete on power or you live without AAA multiplats. There is no third solution to that problem, barring a Wii-style aligning of planets.

that's a pretty idiotic comparison fyi

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone who plays your Maddens or Calls of Duty are going to do so on one of the big consoles. As long as Nintendo makes a console with a gimmick that doesn't have as much power as the other two, that will always be the case. A Nintendo AAA game just isn't going to have as big an online community as the other two consoles will. Big games these days are all about online multiplayer and Nintendo isn't going to have as big a community as the other two.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wicka posted:

that's a pretty idiotic comparison fyi

The gimped 360 versions are what the Switch would end up getting so no, it's not idiotic, it is in fact smart and correct.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cojawfee posted:

[me, a developer]: gaaaah!! i've had it up to here raking in cash from the largest markets!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The gimped 360 versions are what the Switch would end up getting so no, it's not idiotic, it is in fact smart and correct.

in fact it's actually very dumb and false because you're talking about old consoles and not a current one that's receiving current games

i mean sure the switch PROBABLY won't get these games but to compare that situation to gimped last gen releases made for poor markets is just beyond retarded

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a drinky drinky bird hitting a button at EA what reads "gears of duty". meanwhile, artisan programmers craft delightful romps for the REAL gamers. thank you nintendo switch

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What I'm saying is I will buy the Switch in any case so now I'm just focused on justifying that decision to myself and to the internet

You can justify your decision by thinking about all the awesome games that will or may be available for the Nintendo Switch, coming March 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wicka posted:

in fact it's actually very dumb and false because you're talking about old consoles and not a current one that's receiving current games

EA releases current year sports games on those consoles and makes decent money doing so because lots of people have those consoles. Those consoles are in the same ballpark as the WiiU, which by all indications has the kind of graphical capabilities we should see in the Switch. Those versions of EA Sports games fall squarely in the category of "fine if that's all you can get, but you really should be doing this on a PS4/XBO." I would know, I am a person who likes sports games a lot and plays them online. I upgraded my console when it was clear that the Madden team had moved their primary efforts to PS4/XBO.

Putting those versions of EA Sports titles - or something very much like them - on the Switch isn't going to get people who care about sports games interested in the Switch. There's no miracle that's going to make the current gen sports titles work on a tablet, either - it's not just a matter of turning down the grass texture. There's a lot of processor intensive physics poo poo going on that you don't necessarily see on the screen but is still important to the games function.

If you still don't get it after I've explained it to you, then you're dumb.

wicka posted:

i mean sure the switch PROBABLY won't get these games but to compare that situation to gimped last gen releases made for poor markets is just beyond retarded

The last gen versions are actually pretty decent. A lot better than your "poor markets" handwave would suggest. The thing is, though, they could miraculously reach 100% feature parity and they still wouldn't be the "real thing." Graphics matter. Network effects matter. Madden is the "real consoles'" home turf. Nintendo isnt get anything out of trying to get EA to help them compete that directly with more powerful systems that have had a three year headstart. EA knows this, Nintendo should know this, and for some reason you don't know this.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 31, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

EA releases current year sports games on those consoles and makes decent money doing so because lots of people have those consoles. Those consoles are in the same ballpark as the WiiU, which by all indications has the kind of graphical capabilities we should see in the Switch. Those versions of EA Sports games fall squarely in the category of "fine if that's all you can get, but you really should be doing this on a PS4/XBO." I would know, I am a person who likes sports games a lot and plays them online. I upgraded my console when it was clear that the Madden team had moved their primary efforts to PS4/XBO.

Putting those versions of EA Sports titles - or something very much like them - on the Switch isn't going to get people who care about sports games interested in the Switch. There's no miracle that's going to make the current gen sports titles work on a tablet, either - it's not just a matter of turning down the grass texture. There's a lot of processor intensive physics poo poo going on that you don't necessarily see on the screen but is still important to the games function.

If you still don't get it after I've explained it to you, then you're dumb.

comparing the switch to the 360 or the ps3 is moronic because the switch is (will be) nintendo's current consoles and those are not current consoles. please tell me you understand this basic concept. this has gently caress all to do with graphical power. games on those systems are irrelevant because they are old and people have moved on.

wicka fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 31, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

please stop writing so many words and just accept that comparing the success of ANY game on a last-gen console with that same game on a current-gen console is fundamentally absurd.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

You don't get to spin fantasies about less capable versions of sports games somehow peeling audience away from consoles literally built for multiplats and then call me absurd.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
He's right though. A large portion of the sports game market already owns the shiniest Sony or MS, so why would they buy the Switch versions compared to the shinier versions for things they already own?

The Switch would at best capitalize on the market that is still on PS3/360.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

You don't get to spin fantasies about less capable versions of sports games somehow peeling audience away from consoles literally built for multiplats and then call me absurd.

i don't care. i really don't. you're just shifting the goalposts at this point because you said something stupid. the fact is that 360 and PS3s releases are utterly meaningless in this context, period.

Decus posted:

He's right though. A large portion of the sports game market already owns the shiniest Sony or MS, so why would they buy the Switch versions compared to the shinier versions for things they already own?

The Switch would at best capitalize on the market that is still on PS3/360.

it doesn't even matter if i'm right or wrong. the question of whether EA would release games for the switch, or if those games could be successful, is absolutely up for debate. the problem lies with the absolutely insane idea that low sales for 360 and ps3 multiplats, literal years after the xbone and ps4 have been released, is somehow indicative of anything. i mean that's just a ridiculous point to make.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I didn't connect their sales numbers to anything. In fact, I believe I said they make decent money. I brought them up on the context of sports game buyers' opinions of them as games.

edit: apparently the "decent money" thing didn't make it past rough draft.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

doesn't matter. irrelevant in every way. they're games that get dumped out to prop up last-gen consoles as low-cost options. cannot fathom why you thought it necessary to bring them up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It sounds like you weren't around for the Wii versions of EA Sports games from the mid-2000s.

They were PS2 ports. And that was for a console that actually had an install base big enough for third parties to give a gently caress about.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

that's neat. this scenario is exactly like that and nothing is different.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My hope is not for AAA ports, but for original versions and games.

Like, the same game would come out for N64 and GBC, but the GBC game was of course a completely diferent game with the same premise and title.

Not realistic since though since development costs more than it used to.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

There is enough in common that it's worth looking at, yea.

You're loving weird.

e: Wow, avatar text answers a lot of questions. That's what I get for using the Awful app.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

i've had that will smith song in my head since someone posted it, and i didn't even listen to it

that was me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

There is enough in common that it's worth looking at, yea.

You're loving weird.

e: Wow, avatar text answers a lot of questions. That's what I get for using the Awful app.

its a mirror

• Locked thread