Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

They really were a jury of SovCits the whole time and somehow nobody managed to notice until they tanked the case?

They don't have to be sovcits to have a crazy reverence for the raw concept of the unaltered constitution, I'd say most rural republicans have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
there was so little usable land in Eastern Oregon that early cattle barons fought fairly serious Range Wars with each other over it. there's a lovely little museum and round barn near the refuge that's all that's left of one of them, I forget his name but at one point he was the richest guy in the state.

he was shot through the head in a range war.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
These people don't view that as a bad thing. They imagine themselves living on the cover of a paperback Louis L'Amour novel.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TotalLossBrain posted:

A bit more background from one of the jurors. This is dumb.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/792810126730072064

So yeah, sov cit tactics work in jury trials. All you have to do to get a hung jury or a NG verdict is spout a bunch of vaguely patriotic nonsense. I have no idea what the solution is but the fact that this sort of poo poo works shows that the system is broken.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
i like reading this thread because it reminds me even if my day was lovely at least im not fragile enough to get insanely shook and bunker down for the dystopian future of white conservative extremism due to a distasteful decision by a jury

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Scionix posted:

i like reading this thread because it reminds me even if my day was lovely at least im not fragile enough to get insanely shook and bunker down for the dystopian future of white conservative extremism due to a distasteful decision by a jury

that's good. have a nice day :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Scionix posted:

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a tarp and carrying a 55-gallon drum of lube.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

VikingSkull posted:

Generally if you post about a subject and don't know anything, it helps if you lead with that fact.

Spending a day arguing with multiple people and then revealing you actually don't know a single thing seems like a very sad waste of time.

He's part Canadian.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So yeah, sov cit tactics work in jury trials. All you have to do to get a hung jury or a NG verdict is spout a bunch of vaguely patriotic nonsense. I have no idea what the solution is but the fact that this sort of poo poo works shows that the system is broken.

Better education so that juries aren't filled with goddamned morons who don't understand basic concepts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If they weren't a moron they'd have gotten out of jury duty. :smug:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

has nullification ever actually been used for anything good?

ps hail satan

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Agean90 posted:

ps hail satan

I was gonna say Scopes but I guess that was a guilty verdict.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Agean90 posted:

ps hail satan

they freed OJ so he could make Juiced

and then that went the way of Lavoy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Agean90 posted:

ps hail satan

I'm sure it's been used to get a precious delicate little lilly-white flower of a college student out of a marijuana charge or something like that, if you want to count it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm sure it's been used to get a precious delicate little lilly-white flower of a college student out of a marijuana charge or something like that, if you want to count it.

I used patriotism in a closing for a black dude with pot and case hung and dismissed, so there's 1. There was actually some reasonable doubt too, but black dude in the suburbs with drugs needs all he can get.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

I used patriotism in a closing for a black dude with pot and case hung and dismissed, so there's 1. There was actually some reasonable doubt too, but black dude in the suburbs with drugs needs all he can get.

I’d like to hear more about how you appealed to a suburban jury with patriotism, on a drug charge.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I’d like to hear more about how you appealed to a suburban jury with patriotism, on a drug charge.

he said hung so I assume he 12 angry men'd that poo poo and instead of foreman trump crying like a bitch and going "not guilty!" they deadlocked and the DA said gently caress this poo poo what you doing to my W/L man

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Platystemon posted:

You talk about how the founding fathers came up with reasonable doubt (not strictly true) and point out how the cop is exaggerating and say "this isn't how you do things in america," refer to "state power" a lot and so on.
This is a few years ago and there was a lot more that I've almost certainly forgotten, but it was the most fun closing arguement I've had.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nm posted:

You talk about how the founding fathers came up with reasonable doubt (not strictly true) and point out how the cop is exaggerating and say "this isn't how you do things in america," refer to "state power" a lot and so on.
This is a few years ago and there was a lot more that I've almost certainly forgotten, but it was the most fun closing arguement I've had.

Ever use white guilt in a defense? That seems like something that would totally work against me if I were a juror because I'm a sopping liberal weenis of a man

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The white guilt defence would make a lot of jurors angry, but that’s probably a good thing for a hung jury.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

Ever use white guilt in a defense? That seems like something that would totally work against me if I were a juror because I'm a sopping liberal weenis of a man

I've never worked anywhere liberal enough.
San Francisco apparently has really high NG rates, so I suspect something's going on there though.

Edit: I didn't go to do one, but despite being in a white red county (with some anti-gov leanings), after fergison, some of my collegues beat some resisting cases with accusations of excessive force and those were normally losing cases with minority defendants. So white guilt may have been a factor?

nm has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Oct 31, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

nm posted:

I've never worked anywhere liberal enough.
San Francisco apparently has really high NG rates, so I suspect something's going on there though.

Edit: I didn't go to do one, but despite being in a white red county (with some anti-gov leanings), after fergison, some of my collegues beat some resisting cases with accusations of excessive force and those were normally losing cases with minority defendants. So white guilt may have been a factor?

Probably less white guilt and more white people hate cops too (kinda what this thread is about lol)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Probably less white guilt and more white people hate cops too (kinda what this thread is about lol)

but they tend to be the ones making exceptions for minorities

hence why we are here clowning on moolitia men to begin with

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Yeah the only good example(s) of jury nullification being not poo poo-awful were 1) not convicting people during prohibition for selling a drink 2) not convicting people during slavery for hiding freed slaves. And 1 is iffy I mean I didn't do any research on this, if they let al capone's guys off and they went on to empty tommy guns indiscriminately into a crowd I'd take that one off the maybe pile. I'm imagining a bar tender covered in flopsweat gasping out "sheesh it's just a high ball, twenty to life? Jesum crow." If that guy's trial got nullified then whoopee.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I do not wish to create joinder with the new title to my thread

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

VikingSkull posted:

Didn't say "I do not consent". So mods had permission. Q.E.D.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress, bamboozled again!

I am in fact a boat after all

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress the constitution. My state never got the opportunity to ratify the constitution therefore it is null and void for me within the independent American republic of Wisconsin. We still believe in the 2nd amendment though. Everything else is an illegal affront to state's rights.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I the forums poster ::WASABI THE J:: am not the same as the flesh and blood poster J of Wasabi and as such do not enter joinder with the administration of this Website SomethingAwful and do not recognize your law against poo poo posting.

pls don't ban me gold fringed moderator.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress, bamboozled again!

I am in fact a boat after all

Your strategy of pissing off the mods worked!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Agean90 posted:

ps hail satan

Pre-Civil War it was used in cases where Abolitionists were accused of helping fugitive slaves and the Underground Railroad. Post-Civil War, it was used by racist juries to acquit klansmen of lynchings and hate crimes.

It's something that should exist but be used in specific cases by an intelligent jury. This is not one of those cases.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Your strategy of pissing off the mods worked!

to be fair I'm more of a canoe, perhaps a kayak

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

red19fire posted:

Pre-Civil War it was used in cases where Abolitionists were accused of helping fugitive slaves and the Underground Railroad. Post-Civil War, it was used by racist juries to acquit klansmen of lynchings and hate crimes.

It's something that should exist but be used in specific cases by an intelligent jury. This is not one of those cases.

It is not something that should ever exist or be used. There just isn't a way to completely squelch it without destroying the jury system, aside from massive systemic improvements in education.

The way to overturn unjust laws is the legislature. Not the deliberation room.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
being a descendant of John Brown, I certainly wish someone had used jury nullification in his case, but then I also remember that he was running people through with swords so I don't even know what the gently caress

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Jury nullification is literally lawlessness. Opposing lawlessness does not mean you think that every law is good.

It's akin to giving vandalism a pass as long as it is practiced against entities you profoundly disagree with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Jury nullification is literally lawlessness. Opposing lawlessness does not mean you think that every law is good.

It's akin to giving vandalism a pass as long as it is practiced against entities you profoundly disagree with.

On the other hand, it's understandable why some people might think lawlessness is better than law in situations where the law is specifically built as a tool for the majority to gently caress over, extremely hard, a minority it doesn't like (see: the pre-civil war situation).

Thats not this situation though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

VikingSkull posted:

C-SPAM - Coming February 6, 2017: The Bundy Bunch in "Silver State, Gold Fringe"

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Why do jurors need to deliberate together? It seems like all the effort put into jury selection to identify "bias" (whatever that is) can be undone by one juror with a strong personality getting through and getting to unduly influence the verdict (or getting jurors who disagree with them ejected haha).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

Why do jurors need to deliberate together?

How would that work?

Regardless, it wouldn’t be constitutional. Deliberation is a key part of the jury process that pre‐dates the U.S. itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/793189141814980608

:laffo: