Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Seltzer posted:

I bought Halloween Akinfenwa because I like trashing people with odd/low level cards and teams. I'm gonna do the big man dance on everybody and rack up some rage quits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
FYI to everyone who does weekend league, they extended the ending until tomorrow night because of saturday's server outage so you can get in some more games if you want

I played a couple more just to get to gold 2, so I ended 22-14. I could have tried for Gold 1 but if we assume my winrate is 60% my chance of winning 4 in a row is about 13% so I didn't bother but I was glad to move up from gold 3 to gold 2 because I think it's a decent prize increase

I ended up at silver 1 for the month since I didn't play week 3, would have been cool to get the gold monthly rewards but whatever. I just wanna pack something good in one of these so I can have a bomb rear end team but I guess that will happen anyway if they ever do the Bundes SBC so I can get that special Aubameyang to put up there with Modeste.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
By the way if anyone wants to see the value of the prizes from weekend league here is a chart of what's in each pack and how many coins they would cost to buy

This is 16 but I'm pretty sure the prices haven't changed, you can yell at me if they have

http://www.fifauteam.com/buying-packs-guide-fifa-16-ultimate-team/

Seltzer posted:

This is an aside but I'm 8-3 in the weekend league at the moment. Is it me or does the Silver 3 rewards (what I'll get) look better than Silver 2?

10,000 coins, 1 x Premium Gold Players pack, 2 x Jumbo Premium Gold packs vs 15,000 coins, 1 x Mega pack, 1 x Rare Gold pack. I think the "worse" reward looks better Imo. I'll probably stop at 8 wins.

Since I didn't elaborate before, based on the chart I posted, the first reward is worth 10k + 55k in packs, the second reward is worth 15k + 60k in packs, so it's not like a huuge upgrade but it is worth 10k more.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 31, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
so is there a monthly reward for the weekend league as well?

what are the levels? ie minimum games played/wins

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The levels are just 4x the normal weekly ones so it's basically your average level

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-YbD5vMfHI

90' blast from outside the box.

And also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfnB8Lh3Peo

Be sure to always stare down your opponents as you run into their net uncontested.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 1, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Positive changes all in all.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Positive changes all in all.

Love the extension - Now if I qualify I can blast through a few games Friday after work and still have somewhat of a social life on the weekend.

Instead of MM investing, I've bought 6 OTW Dembele's for this upcoming weekend for avg. 84k each. Dortmund play Hamburger SV. They're bottom of the table with 7 losses from 9 and no wins. Figure the hype before the weekend will generate some buzz and I can offload a couple of them around 100k and keep the other 4 in case he scores one.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 2, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Filthee Fingas posted:

Love the extension - Now if I qualify I can blast through a few games Friday after work and still have somewhat of a social life on the weekend.

Instead of MM investing, I've bought 6 OTW Dembele's for this upcoming weekend for avg. 84k each. Dortmund play Hamburger SV. They're bottom of the table with 7 losses from 9 and no wins. Figure the hype before the weekend will generate some buzz and I can offload a couple of them around 100k and keep the other 4 in case he scores one.

I bought a bunch of cheap high rated BPL players for the likely Arsenal/Spurs MM. Mertesacker/Pedro and the like. Might continue to stock up on Pedro in anticipation for the POTM, Hazard has a good shot and he'll require a really high rated chelsea or BPL squad, or both. Not a lot of affordable BPL cards rated 83 and higher. Missed the boat on Terry though, he was selling for 1300 and is already up to 2500 or so.

If I had a bigger bank roll I'd stock up on Azpilicueta for the same reasons, if Hazard wins, he is likely going to require a team rating of 83 or higher and Azpil is the only LB rated higher than 83. Baines would be another potential target.

Of course Allen will probably win it now that I've spent a bit of money on those guys :). Oh well, their prices should rise for any BPL related SBC.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah all those changes are great, hooray

I'm not sure what it means by lowered win requirements for gold 2 and above, though. Does that mean it's gonna take less than 30 to get to elite? That seems too easy.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 2, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for upgrades? I have 55k.

Thinkin about just saving for the IF Hernandez to replace Coman, eventually saving up for Aubamayeng or Reus

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=dEZ8dEq9nMn4d:FFA17PS4

Edit: Oh yeah it didn't save but I have Leno in goal and not Horn

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I like Calhanoglu but he just feels a bit too weak/small for me this year, I've been rolling with Draxler who has been incredibly good so far, and he's pretty tall to boot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I like running with Hakan just for the fantasy of when you boot those fuckin 30 yard bombs with his long shots but if I'm honest I do have to admit those don't actually happen all that much

He does have sick passing also though

I'll take a look at Draxler

Edit: Oh, I remember why I stayed with Hakan, it was for his FK accuracy since I didn't have anyone else good at free kicks, but it turns out they are way too random this year even with 93+ FKA to do anything so no reason to keep him I guess

Johnny Lawrence
May 15, 2013
I don't understand the game this year, everyone is playing this "park the bus nonsense", it's boring. So if you want to win some games, you have to also use this OP tactic, who makes the matches an absolutely crapfest, if you insist to play with a little bit of ambition, you have like 60/40 possession, 12 shots against 2, and you lose by two goals.

EA needs to change something, at least the stamina of players who use this "park the bus/contain" should be very low in the end of the matches.

Arghhhh, and why this year is - on the PS4 - the changing players by the right stick totally absurd, it don't change the player that i want. Is someone experiencing the same nightmare as me or, is everything fine with this world/butterfly/beautiful game.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Johnny Lawrence posted:

I don't understand the game this year, everyone is playing this "park the bus nonsense", it's boring. So if you want to win some games, you have to also use this OP tactic, who makes the matches an absolutely crapfest, if you insist to play with a little bit of ambition, you have like 60/40 possession, 12 shots against 2, and you lose by two goals.

EA needs to change something, at least the stamina of players who use this "park the bus/contain" should be very low in the end of the matches.

Reason why I usually play 4231(2). I prevent the counter with both CDMs man-marking and make sure I have fast full backs to prevent them countering down the wings. Then it's just short passes and finding gaps in their defense.

Johnny Lawrence posted:

Arghhhh, and why this year is - on the PS4 - the changing players by the right stick totally absurd, it don't change the player that i want. Is someone experiencing the same nightmare as me or, is everything fine with this world/butterfly/beautiful game.

I experience the same. Just got to get in the habit of moving your right stick multiple times really fast to getting it to the right defender. The biggest issue I had with this was on the counter where i had one of my wingers selected trying to stop their rush and always had a nightmare changing to a midfielder when they passed by my winger. Now I don't even bother selecting the winger. Just automatically select my midfielder and use slight contain with my winger to prevent them rushing down the side.

Has anyone lost sensitivity on their Dualshock controller? I was on mad tilt last night when sterling wasn't running straight down the wing and was almost running off the pitch. Turns out the drat right stick is no longer calibrated and results in my players running slightly diagonal when I was moving straight.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 2, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Any suggestions for upgrades? I have 55k.

Thinkin about just saving for the IF Hernandez to replace Coman, eventually saving up for Aubamayeng or Reus

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=dEZ8dEq9nMn4d:FFA17PS4

Draxler is one of the few players I haven't used that is consistently good when playing against me. Speaking of I've ran into Martial so many times and he's poo poo, anyone else noticed that? IF Hernandez is good but always over priced. I'd say get Aubameyang but wow, he's overpriced. Bundesliga kind of sucks for strikers now that I look at it. IF Modeste is the only cheap + actually good option that isn't super slow. My Bundesliga team is becoming my second squad as I naturally gravitated towards the bargains in serie a again. Realistically any upgrade I could do on my Bundesliga team aside from what I have would be like 100k for non in form players. It's stupid. I did get IF Keita for my 433(2) though and he is really good. 99 Stamina 82 pace +80 interceptions. Really good to have to offset Alonso's pace.

Johnny Lawrence posted:

I don't have a problem with player switching but I think I'm used to broken player switching and I have it set to through balls only. I've ranted about why the game is frustrating it's current state and I don't want to keep harping on it. Long story short, defense is too powerful, intercepting is too weak. Counter attacking (which many people confuse with park the bus. It keeps your whole backline and CDM glued outside your box. It can be coupled with park the bus to make it worse but it looks like parking the bus even on attacking) went from an option in previous fifas to THE option and it's simply not fun to play with or against. I have two teams set up in a way that I can still win a lot without counter attacking myself/have fun while attacking, but coming up against the same teams with the same boring tactics is a big problem. The two teams are my 433(2) Bundesliga squad and my 5212 serie a/ghana squad. It's not a coincidence the only teams I can use successfully without counter attack on are naturally defensive already. Those two formations on attacking are still a lot more fun than a 41212 on counter attack though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The park the bus poo poo is annoying but it's weak to a couple things, one thing I've noticed is like, on the counter attack, the opposing players will immediately start running backwards and not playing a high line to intercept anything, so what you can do is like, you get the ball to say your CM, then you manually send a striker on a run with L1. Then you driven pass it to him (not through ball, very important) when he is roughly about to go offsides. He will come back to the ball a little bit and because you did a driven pass the defense won't come back in time to intercept it (also very important, if you do a normal pass the CB will come up and get it a lot)

From there, like, usually it'll be your 2 strikers and CAM up there vs 4 of their defenders which is pretty good odds for getting someone through with a through ball and 1-2 passes if they gently caress up at all

You have maybe 3-4 seconds before they can catch up and bring their mids back to come press you from behind and that's kinda your window

This is also like only when you first get the ball on a counter attack, if you wait too long they'll all go back and your window will be closed

Park the bus is also slightly weak against long shots and crosses (be sure not to put too much power on crosses, goalies will grab anything that's further up than the penalty spot so go near post only basically)

Also this is all advice from a mid level person who admittedly can't score a ton so ymmv

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah I'm getting better at beating the park the bus/counter attacking poo poo just because it's soooo common in the weekend league. I can't even point to something specific that I'm doing, and most of the time I just wind up annoyed and frustrated, but yeah.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Has anyone got even close to scoring a freekick this year? I'll hit 1 bar 25 yards out with someone with 85 fk accuracy and it will still fly all over the place. Also How is bellarabi as a RW? I have Traore there atm and he's the only big weakpoint in the squad.

Johnny Lawrence
May 15, 2013
My main concern is this problem with the left stick change, how can i stop a counter-attack when i can't anticipate with my players on the pitch ? Buh. I guess, i will wait for the second patch.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Has anyone got even close to scoring a freekick this year? I'll hit 1 bar 25 yards out with someone with 85 fk accuracy and it will still fly all over the place. Also How is bellarabi as a RW? I have Traore there atm and he's the only big weakpoint in the squad.
i've hit a few with promes and tosic

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

The best thing to do probably is call someone with LT, tap lt and x so he lays it off to your free kick taker, then rip it like it's a normal shot

I think that works way more, especially this year

Well, first 3 games with Draxler he has 2 goals and 3 assists so uhh so far so good

Johnny Lawrence posted:

My main concern is this problem with the left stick change, how can i stop a counter-attack when i can't anticipate with my players on the pitch ? Buh. I guess, i will wait for the second patch.

The way that I player switch is I almost always hit L1 first no matter what while holding the left stick towards the goal so I don't move anyone out of position, that gets me in the general area and THEN I use the right stick to pick someone from there since I'm already sort of anchored and know who I'll be switching to with a lot more accuracy.

For example, if you give up the ball and are defending a counter attack and currently have a striker or CAM selected, it's gonna be really hard to accurately switch back with the right stick to who you want, but if you just hit L1 you'll probably switch to the CDM or someone and then you can switch from there since your player is pretty centrally located relative to the ball.

Re: Keita, IF Keita looks good and I would consider him but I already have Vidal who stat-wise is pretty insane although frankly he's been trash at long shots every time I've tried to take one with him. It's probably just small sample size but I haven't been able to get a single good long shot off with him and I had scored a few with fuckin Bender before who has like 60 long shots.

I might grab him for a sub though.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 2, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

The way that I player switch is I almost always hit L1 first no matter what while holding the left stick towards the goal so I don't move anyone out of position, that gets me in the general area and THEN I use the right stick to pick someone from there since I'm already sort of anchored and know who I'll be switching to with a lot more accuracy.

For example, if you give up the ball and are defending a counter attack and currently have a striker or CAM selected, it's gonna be really hard to accurately switch back with the right stick to who you want, but if you just hit L1 you'll probably switch to the CDM or someone and then you can switch from there since your player is pretty centrally located relative to the ball.

Re: Keita, IF Keita looks good and I would consider him but I already have Vidal who stat-wise is pretty insane although frankly he's been trash at long shots every time I've tried to take one with him. It's probably just small sample size but I haven't been able to get a single good long shot off with him and I had scored a few with fuckin Bender before who has like 60 long shots.

I might grab him for a sub though.

I think I do the same thing as you when it comes to player switching, I just couldn't put it into words. As I said fifa's player switching has been janky for years so I'm just used to it. I definitely use a combination of the shoulder button and stick (which shouldn't be necessary but it's what works). Keita is very good and would be excellent in any 433 or the 41212(2) but you use the normal 41212 so he probably doesn't have a spot since he's best suited as a CM.

vivisectvnv posted:

i've hit a few with promes and tosic

Any pointers? It doesn't work at all like the previous years in my experience.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure it's just incredibly random and people will try to poo poo and you and say "get better lol" but I mean you can verify for yourself, go into the skill game and the first shot is like a 23 or 25 yarder, just keep doing that with the same power and watch how wildly it gets kicked

I tried every possible kick type I could think of, curling in, normal dipping, etc, I couldn't find anything reliable so now I just do the lay off and take it like a normal shot

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I like Martial, his passing is a bit poo poo but he makes up for it with his pace, strength and dribbling. And yeah free kicks are poo poo, I also just do the lay off or simply pass, not worth taking a pop with how weird they are.

As for breaking the defensive\counter-attacking players, I actually don't think it's that big of a deal, my team is pretty much all agile dribblers so it's easy to just walk the ball and force the opponent to press and then you just play a 1-2 pass behind him, very easy to pull of on the wing. Really those tactics force the opponent to be incredibly passive so just play the ball patiently and force him to start chasing you around, if you set your mentality to ultra attacking you can also force your opponent to kick long balls all game long as he won't have many passing options in the back.

Oh and I now think Niang and Menez might be the best strikers in the game.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Any pointers? It doesn't work at all like the previous years in my experience.

I just retrained myself on the skill games and practice arena, you actually get far more control of curve this year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Unless you can post specifics I don't believe you, lol

I tried for literally a couple hours to figure out if it was possible to hit these things consistently because I'm an autist and I concluded that it isn't

That is, I don't believe about having more control, I believe you that you've hit some

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
I mean, i feel like there is more "direct" control over the curved path of the ball this year, which in past fifas seemed a bit more random. You can definitely get it to a general area, did you get through at least the bronze portion of the free kicks skill game?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've done all the skill games and like I've said spent literally hours on the last one of the advanced free kicks where it's the real situations with players and keepers

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
welp, i don't know then, but add me on psn you jerk

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 3, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I've been pretty consistently hitting the bar or placing it reasonably far into the top corner, but yeah it still feels like about a 3rd of the time the ball just goes randomly somewhere.

Also, the keepers are pretty good at covering the top corner money shot from last year, so even if you get one perfectly on target its far from a guarantee you'll score, even if they don't have someone at the post.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
You can record video so why don't you put up or shut up. :cmon:

I just want to see missed free kicks.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You talkin to me or them

Edit: Wanted to add one more thing, it's hard enough to make free kicks when it's vs the CPU and there's no person in the goal but online someone is gonna turbo put someone in the goal so I think it's almost always better to take the layoff or do the play where you make someone run through and pass it because even IF you manage to get it over or around the wall accurately a lot of the time the person in the goal will just head or kick it out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I picked up 3 lovely gold movember cards for 15k. I don't see there not being a SBC for them since they have next to no worth as it stands and new SBCs are due tomorrow when the halloween ones all end. Either there will be an amazing card and I'll cash in or they will all shoot up to 60k and I'll cashout (or nothing will happen and I'll look stupid). I also got a welsh 11 with some golds in there for dirt cheap and liverpool, swansea and stoke players banking on Joe Allen winning the player of the month award. I'm not gonna pretend to know how that award is picked but fan votes only account for 10%. I think Allen had a better month than hazard especially considering the context but again I could look like a fool on that but I got everything cheap.

Movember Gomis isn't half bad for the record.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
okay Draxler is a god rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShD5VJe5gsk

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Does anyone else find the weekend league to be significantly easier and less cagey than normal division play or the qualification tournament? Obviously this has to do with me being at div 1 which is 100% full of fuckers but idk, the weekend league just feels so laid back.

My first match of this WL

Ben Arfa with 5, Niang 3 assists. I love those dudes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah weekend league is way easier than season for me

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
Anyone do any fancy settings on their PS4/Router/modem? Starting to wonder if the random lag is on my side

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Stefan Prodan posted:

You talkin to me or them

Edit: Wanted to add one more thing, it's hard enough to make free kicks when it's vs the CPU and there's no person in the goal but online someone is gonna turbo put someone in the goal so I think it's almost always better to take the layoff or do the play where you make someone run through and pass it because even IF you manage to get it over or around the wall accurately a lot of the time the person in the goal will just head or kick it out

Wish they let you switch to a player in the box like last year. I scored so many goals when they'd put someone in goal to block the free kick, I'd just switch to a player run into the box and get a wide open header.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I gave Menez a try the other night based on advice here. He's definitely really really good and is a perfect example of a card that plays way above it's rating. Unfortunately,I didn't like the rest of the squad so I'm sidelining him for now. Speaking of cards that play above their rating, there has to be something wrong with Renato Sanches card. "Stats in good places" does not explain the whole story, his interceptions and tackling/positioning to tackle is nearly unrivaled when I play against him yet his marking is 72, interceptions 80, standing tackle is 71. It does not add up at all. Anyways, every time I get too many coins I spend it on stupid poo poo. I'm going to buy IF Al Soma now because his card looks awesome and he was great for me last year. A player that tall and strong with 4* skills is extremely rare and fun to use. Too bad all the good Saudi players got downgraded this year.

Weekend league is definitely easier than qualifying or divisions. It might be because I put zero pressure on myself because I gently caress around with dumb teams and don't care that much because I'm not going to finish 40 games in three days and I'm not obsessed with getting a certain rank. I'm sure a lot of people I'm playing are concerned about those things and play worse because of it. Also you get like 12 chances at getting in a week. I would only try 4 times max if I was struggling then give up but I guarantee tons of people only care about weekend league qualification and even if they're really bad the odds of qualifying over 12 or so tries is pretty good.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread