Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Philip Rivers posted:

I think Phreak is a pretty good caster.

*inhales*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It's easy to poke fun at his weird idiosyncrasies but he's entertaining and has a good eye for detail in real time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
"good eye for detail" or "excess criticism" you decide

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Kobe's the only good western caster imo. gently caress deficio as well

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Parallel Playa posted:

gently caress deficio as well

blasphemy. deficio is an LCS treasure, even if it's only because he's the entire LCS' disappointed dad despite being under 30.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think its funny and sad that deficio got reprimanded for talking to players about starting up a team and is barred from doing anything but casting for the next 10 years or whatever

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

:allears:

My favorite caster would either be Froskurinn or PapaSmithy.

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 1, 2016

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Parallel Playa posted:

kobe is not bad, deficio actually knows what he's talking about but can be a bit annoying, rivington is fun to listen to because he is a complete wacko

still, monte, doa, and papa make everyone else basically unbearable by comparison

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

stump collector posted:

I think its funny and sad that deficio got reprimanded for talking to players about starting up a team and is barred from doing anything but casting for the next 10 years or whatever
expires in just over two months get hype boys

e: nvm it's feb 2017 not january

Chris de Sperg fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 1, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

riots esports division is loving insane

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
you have been found guilty of wanting a job maybe *bangs gavel*

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Parallel Playa posted:

when i got into league this season (i know i know) i really appreciated zirene's ability to break down plays for new fans.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

zirene was really good on the secondary stream during worlds is pretty decent especially considering how much time he spends casting with phreak

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I finally getting around to watching the finalz and as a new player I think it's super cool That the alternate stream for finals was a new player friendly stream where they explained more things rather than another player experience stream

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lovechop posted:

you have been found guilty of wanting a job maybe *bangs gavel*

The sentence is having to call Phreak your coworker

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

:allears:

My favorite caster would either be Froskurinn or PapaSmithy.

fuuuuuck

Also Doa is the best caster not really much room for argument there.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Would people be nearly as high on Monte if he weren't constantly paired with Doa?

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Saintvicious is the best caster who wasn't at Worlds this year :colbert:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

Would people be nearly as high on Monte if he weren't constantly paired with Doa?

Yeah, probably. Monte can be a bit of a dicklord, but his analysis is really top notch. Even people like Jatt acknowledge how good his analysis is and how he can really get a good discussion going. Monte is a great caster, he's just a jackass.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

YancyQ posted:

Saintvicious is the best caster who wasn't at Worlds this year :colbert:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Monte is an insufferable shitbird. Doa+Deficia+Kobe is the dreamteam now.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
now that worlds is over i can't wait for team eu to destroy korea at all stars again

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

in terms of actual game knowledge monte isn't even the best caster on ogn

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I don't get why Miss Fortune didn't crop up as a viable ADC pick in worlds (support Fortune does not count of course). what with all the constant Orianna picks you'd think they'd play it. The sheer instant damage that Miss Fortune could pull this season on just the first few hits of Bullet Time was absurd and I'm disappointed in the teams for staying on their lukewarm comfort picks

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what matchup you could've played MF into and felt comfortable.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

How Rude posted:

I don't get why Miss Fortune didn't crop up as a viable ADC pick in worlds (support Fortune does not count of course). what with all the constant Orianna picks you'd think they'd play it. The sheer instant damage that Miss Fortune could pull this season on just the first few hits of Bullet Time was absurd and I'm disappointed in the teams for staying on their lukewarm comfort picks

to pick it you have to make sure you don't go against braum, nami, kennen, poppy, cassiopeia, orianna, viktor, and ashe and i think people wanted to pick their top or midlaners last rather than adcs

but i agree it could've been nice as a last pick to surprise people

edit: picking MF also opens you up to playing against sivir and lucian and other shortrange ADCs.

actually i'm pretty sure you could only last pick it

stump collector fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 1, 2016

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

How Rude posted:

teams prepared it but there just wasn't a place for it because the dominant top and jungle picks not only provided very little in terms of aoe cc etc, but a lot of them actively blocked a lot of those picks (e.g. in the top meta, jayce/gnar/trundle being a pretty universal "gently caress-you" trio, or lee sin becoming the most-played jungler once again), and you don't have many melee supports being played to boot

Kashuno posted:

I don't know what matchup you could've played MF into and felt comfortable.
mf is a counter into caitlyn and lucian. the matchup wasn't the problem.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Team utility was a critical factor in ADC selection at this Worlds. Caitlyn is a waveclear monster once she gets Runaan's and she can effectively stall out games by making tower sieges incredibly hard; Jhin is great at making picks with Flourish and his ult; and Ashe is the queen of long-range picks and kiting. The only other ADCs that really got play were Ezreal, who had an absolute garbage showing (34.4% winrate), and Sivir, who also provides some decent utility with her ult and waveclear.

It's true that Miss Fortune has some bonkers damage, but her ult's easily countered by anyone with a decently long-ranged stun, has no dashes or blinks to escape, and brings zero utility beyond a fairly solid AoE slow.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of the number of unique champs played at worlds this year? It felt really low

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Is there a list of the number of unique champs played at worlds this year? It felt really low

http://lol.esportspedia.com/wiki/2016_Season_World_Championship/Statistics/Champions

57 champions were picked overall out of a total of 132 (since Ivern wasn't available during the Worlds patch), or 43% of total available champions. There were definitely a few power picks who showed up in nearly every game like Karma and Jhin.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I dunno about the whole thing but there were 53 unique champs played during group stages.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's somewhat inevitable that you're going to get a relatively concentrated group of picks like what we saw this year with only 6 bans and a lack of any big meta-shaking changes before 6.18 (like the Juggernaut patch pre-2015 Worlds). Riot's mentioned that they're looking at the possibility of 10 bans once the new client is fully operational.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

This is very esports.

How close is this to how traditional sports run things?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

10 bans would be a mess unless they also implement staggered P/B. Which I hope they do, but jeez, having 10 champs banned upfront would be awfully unfun.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The closest analogue in real sports is kind of swept under the rug.

There are periods where you shouldn't talk to free agents or whatever, but it happens. This is a different situation for a few things :

1. You can't just decide to own or manage a team. Mostly due to franchises, partially due to the cost and infrastructure of those teams.
2. Players typically operate on multi year contacts instead of whatever happens in esports. Players never break contracts unless they retire because they need money, whereas management will break it as they see fit.
3. If you want a player during the season, you talk to the GM, not the player for the above reason.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Shadow225 posted:

The closest analogue in real sports is kind of swept under the rug.

There are periods where you shouldn't talk to free agents or whatever, but it happens. This is a different situation for a few things :

1. You can't just decide to own or manage a team. Mostly due to franchises, partially due to the cost and infrastructure of those teams.
2. Players typically operate on multi year contacts instead of whatever happens in esports. Players never break contracts unless they retire because they need money, whereas management will break it as they see fit.
3. If you want a player during the season, you talk to the GM, not the player for the above reason.

There's also a much better infrastructure, including agents, proper business GMs, etc, that the chances of this getting to the point where you talk to a player improperly without someone stepping in and going "No, don't do that" is much smaller.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
All Star voting is up http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/all-star/vote

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

booya. post your picks fellas

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

I'm

IN.

• Locked thread