Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pan Dulce posted:

A diss to Supernatural's Castiel.
This show is not good enough to diss Supernatural. Yes, I know what I said.

spooky like this! posted:

It was kind of weird that Dan straight up says "Netflix" when they were talking about those old action movies becoming popular again. Usually shows don't mention real world products/websites that like.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and it's never been clear to me what the reasoning is. Sometimes it's because the stand-in company (or its owner) is doing something shady, other times it just seems arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
drat that was really good and kinda heavy. I love this show. I especially like how they aren't afraid of calling god out on his bs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, but the angels we've met are super arrogant and like to grandstand, so the plain sword does sort of stand out as kind of low-key for the sword of the angel of death.

To be honest it looked like a repainted dollar store christian warrior sword.

I'd have expected, I dunno, some kinda big hand scythe or something just... blingy. Shiny? Less utilitarian?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Uriel said, "Give up." right?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was really good. Agree the sword looked like a plastic thing for a 3yo's first halloween costume though. Especially in contrast to Maze and her sleek hell daggers.

I hope we get more divine visitors, and maybe some demonic ones too.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It finally clicked who the crime scene cop is...

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Slamhound posted:

It finally clicked who the crime scene cop is...

I am literally guessing 100% blind but...Dexter?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Bingo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Angel's sister?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Dad Damnit!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Angel's sister?

Holy poo poo.

That sword looked like garbage though. It didnt need to be fancy, or big, but it was both ugly and cheap looking. A real basic gladius style sword, or bronze age sword, would have been much better.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that's the default setting and was only playskool's babbys first angel sword because the whittlest angel was using it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Most of my problems with it are the crossguard and not the blade.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Weapon nerd, suck it up.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
The sword was bad. The character was cast badly. The part was written badly.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FRINGE posted:

It came and went in 10 minutes.

But yeah I agree. It's weird when lots of the other casting has been great.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I just started watching this on Hulu, fifth episode in. I was hesitant to watch it when it first aired being a huge fan of the comic, like it's in my top two with Sandman.

I think I like enough of the good to where it outweighs the bad. There's just enough of the mythology of the comic to keep me hooked, and the acting is overall fine.

It's akind of funny, but this is probably the first full on procedural I've ever watched, which I'm just now realizing works just like a monster of the week type show. Which this show could have been, and that might fit better for the comic, but it could have made it really corny.

Also I was a fan of Californication, and you can totally see some Hank Moody in Lucifer. Is this character who Tom Kapinos is or who he wants to be?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Never read the comic but the show seems to be building toward a second rebellion.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Yah, it was a whiff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
OK, Azrael's sword haters. I think I can come up with a re-write that would have satisfied all of you.

Uriel: I'm not taking her back to hell. I'm going to kill her with this! (Produces Azrael's sword.)
Lucifer: That's Azrael's sword!
Uriel: (looks at the sword adoringly) I love Azrael's sword. It's so bad.

and... scene.

Well? How'd I do?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

tarlibone posted:

Well? How'd I do?

Completely terrible.

So, B+.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Nah it needs a Family Guy cutaway to Azrael trying to take someone out and pulling a stick out of his sheath. Shakes fist angrily.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Tiggum posted:

This show is not good enough to diss Supernatural. Yes, I know what I said.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and it's never been clear to me what the reasoning is. Sometimes it's because the stand-in company (or its owner) is doing something shady, other times it just seems arbitrary.

It felt like a playful diss on Supernatural to me. Last season Supernatural did a playful little diss on Lucifer so it felt like Lucifer just did one back. Granted the one Supernatural did was much much better.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What did Supernatural say about Lucifer?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

What did Supernatural say about Lucifer?

The character Lucifer said something like; "what am I going to do, move to LA and solve crimes"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox seems happy as they've ordered a back 9 for the season.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Homeless Magician

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Maze and Trixie are the best! Give them their own episode!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Lucifer, you're a loose cannon, etc.

Now turn in... that gun and badge... that you stole. :v:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Maze and Trixie are an amazing power team.

Edit: And Unforgiven owns, especially for this episode.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Whoops, somebody broke the doctor.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
well poo poo

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I kind of feel bad for him. Someone finally convinces him to be honest and they just break. The actor actually has been nailing it REALLY drat well in handling the serious/dramatic parts just as well as the more light hearted and comedic parts.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Quick Trixie, share your chocolate with him and then hug him!

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Honestly I really dug the juxtaposition between Maze revealing what she looks like (Also lol that pumpkin carved in the apartment) to trixie and her being like "Awesommmme" to Lucifer revealing himself to the doctor and her reaction, poor dude can't catch a break.

Also the trepidation Maze had during her reveal was reallly good I feel like and made that whole scene for me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Why was Maze's face only half demony?

I liked Doc's reaction to Lucifer's face. But what I really like is that they did a face that's clearly inhuman and probably very evil, but they didn't go all cornball and have him with horns, a big mustache, etc.

Now, someone, quick--do a gif of that scene but with the head of the devil from the video for "Tribute" by Tenacious D photoshopped in. Or a close-up of that scene. All serious, lights, then cut to Dave Grohl smirking and playing guitar, then cut back.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Why was Maze's face only half demony?

Its a comic book thing for Mazikeens face. In the comics she's not a demon but instead is a Lilim and half her face is missing for reasons unexplained, so they made her have a half demony face in the show.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Lilim in turn are half-whatever Lilith got herself pregnant with. Mazikeen herself has demon father though.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It's moments like at the end of the last episode that really elevate it above typical Fox drama shows. I felt so bad for the psychologist. She was terrified. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Is it just me but it almost looked like she had a stupid grin on her face as he left with the door cracked. Like mix of going crazy with a bit of "holy poo poo, he was telling the truth".

Trixie, would have just shrugged and gave him a hug of course.

• Locked thread