Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

raditts posted:

This totally real story from an actual real life doctor left out that his patient's name was La-a (spelled "Ladasha") and she spent so much on gold teeth and "R&B ringtones" that she was unable to support her twin sons, Orangejello and Lemonjello.

One of the stupidest arguments I ever had with my son's mother was about whether or not "Unique" spelled all sorts of ridiculous ways was a real name that was popular with black people back in the 90s.

She was a white girl who got in fights with black girls in high school for having the name "Kisha", so I'm not sure if I should give her a pass or not for having a bad opinion every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

One of the stupidest arguments I ever had with my son's mother was about whether or not "Unique" spelled all sorts of ridiculous ways was a real name that was popular with black people back in the 90s.

She was a white girl who got in fights with black girls in high school for having the name "Kisha", so I'm not sure if I should give her a pass or not for having a bad opinion every now and then.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Nth Doctor posted:

At church today, I found these on our book-swap table:

I did what was necessary.

Why were Ayn Rand books at a church?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OldMemes posted:

It's a church where they follow the Prosperity Gospel.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OldMemes posted:

That's what mystified me. We're a pretty liberal congregation that focuses tons on helping the poor and marginalized. You can't really read these books that much and be a member of the congregation without seriously missing one message or the other.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thank you for triggering the gently caress out of me today.

I recognize that it's well within your right as a parent to name your child whatever you want, but choosing a SUPER SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE NAME is dumb in my opinion.

Then again, names are a social construct anyway, but still this poo poo just sets me off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

While in captivity I wonder how often Bowe Berghdahl reflected that the tens of thousands of POW flags flying were for him alone since he was the only known POW.

Remember when there was the constant undercurrent of "Nobama left Bowe behind!!!" and then as soon as we got him back the conservatives 180'ed and wanted Bowe hanged for treason?
The second season of Serial goes into both of these in a great level of detail. https://serialpodcast.org/

Spoiler: the conservative and POW groups turned on Bergdahl largely because they misconstrued Obama's announcement of Bowe being found, as some sort of "encouragement of deserters who may be terrorist sympathizers," and blew it completely out of hand until there was no logic or truth to almost any of their reasoning... It was largely forwarded by jarheads who claimed that people got killed looking for Bergdahl so he's responsible for the deaths etc etc.

Because Obama announced Berdahl being found in the White House Garden with Bergdahl's parents on-hand, somehow mumble mumble mumble WHITE HOUSE SUPPORTS TERRORISM

raditts posted:

This totally real story from an actual real life doctor left out that his patient's name was La-a (spelled "Ladasha") and she spent so much on gold teeth and "R&B ringtones" that she was unable to support her twin sons, Orangejello and Lemonjello.
It's probably entirely made up bullshit then, the "le dash a" name thing has been rolling around dogwhistle racists for well over a decade because I can recall hearing it back around 2003 or 2005, although it's usually a story of some nice older white lady who worked in the school system etc, who encounters a child named "L-a".

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Freakonomics the documentary goes over this, and why it happened, including how many ways you can spell the name "Unique". https://www.netflix.com/watch/70095133

Basically the weird black naming thing was an offshoot or amalgamation of the Black Power and Muslim movements, which had a lot of stuff in them about "slave names" etc. Spelling a name in the non-Anglo-Christian manner was seen as a form of empowerment and ownership of oneself - unfortunately though it quickly became obvious that it makes it pretty easy to stwereotype and potentially practise illegal discrimination in hiring and other cases such as rental applications and loans, etc.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 31, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

coyo7e posted:

It's probably entirely made up bullshit then, the "le dash a" name thing has been rolling around dogwhistle racists for well over a decade because I can recall hearing it back around 2003 or 2005, although it's usually a story of some nice older white lady who worked in the school system etc, who encounters a child named "L-a".

Yeah, I was just making a joke there to underscore the dogwhistle bullshit that's already there by bolting on a couple of the classics.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

coyo7e posted:

The second season of Serial goes into both of these in a great level of detail. https://serialpodcast.org/

Spoiler: the conservative and POW groups turned on Bergdahl largely because they misconstrued Obama's announcement of Bowe being found, as some sort of "encouragement of deserters who may be terrorist sympathizers," and blew it completely out of hand until there was no logic or truth to almost any of their reasoning... It was largely forwarded by jarheads who claimed that people got killed looking for Bergdahl so he's responsible for the deaths etc etc.

Because Obama announced Berdahl being found in the White House Garden with Bergdahl's parents on-hand, somehow mumble mumble mumble WHITE HOUSE SUPPORTS TERRORISM

I came here to post this same thing. I was anti-Bergdahl because PEOPLE DIED LOOKING FOR HIM. Listening to Serial was eye opening because as she points out, a lot of missions involved looking for Bowe even if that was the secondary or tertiary objective of the mission. Serial season 2 should be required listening for anyone who hates Bergdahl. I didn't hate him, but I didn't get why everyone was all happy that this traitor was home. I now realized that despite being super liberal I did let the right wing get me on that one.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing to remember about Berghdal is that unlike most POW's he's been held to an extremely high standard and been carefully examined by the media. Do you really think he's the first guy to get captured while doing something he shouldn't have been doing?

The really sick thing about the whole thing is that the next time someone gets captured, this is all going to be used to try and get the guy to crack. They're going to say that people back home have already decided he's a traitor, that he's another Berghdal and that he ought to go to trial for treason and the murder of all the marines that have been lost trying to save him.

Good job conservatives.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, much of my Facebook feed has been relatively quiet about DAPL and the protests. I have a few friends who have been constantly sharing news and stories about the protests and how the protesters have been severely mistreated. But none of my oil-loving conservative NoDak friends have said anything (I thought they were ignoring it) until this:

quote:

So I still have friends on my page liking and sharing these anti-pipeline articles and memes. If you don't pipeline for a living, and you're not from North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, or Illinois then you should really stay out of this conversation, especially if you're just going to keep sharing the same lies over and over. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is not about opinions, it's about facts, and the facts are; the Dakota access pipeline DOES NOT cross the Standing Rock reservation, it DOES have all the necessary permits and approvals, and it is NOT disturbing any burial grounds This information is easily accessible online with a quick Google search, but I'll include a map anyway, in case you don't have time to research the lies you're sharing. And here are the links showing they have the permits, and that North Dakota's top archeologists surveyed these sites and found nothing. http://m.bismarcktribune.com/%85/article_5dc1e955-fd71-5003-8%85

http://m.kcci.com/%85/archaeologist-no-human-remains%85/41226410

And before you start in about possible water contamination, that's just another scare tactic. The Missouri river will be directionally drilled and the pipeline will have the latest technologies and monitoring systems to help prevent releases and will be constructed 90 feet below the riverbed to ensure nothing may reach the river — far above and beyond what’s required by federal regulations.

Don't be fooled, the battle right now may be against this pipeline, but the war is on oil. I know some of you hate oil (even though you consume as much as the rest of us on a daily basis) but there simply is not enough renewable energy to meet the current demand, so this oil WILL be brought to market one way or another, and the safest way is via pipeline. They have a smaller carbon footprint and are 4.5 times less likely to cause a spill than trains. It's an easy choice. So don't tell me you're against pipelines because you care about the environment, because the two ideas are contradictory.

With that being said, I will not hold back any longer, if you've got the nerve to post these lies, I will call you out on it, so you better do your research before you chime in on something that you know nothing about.

To add some context to this, the person who created this meme that's getting shared is not from NoDak, but is a pipeworker, and has been spreading lots of garbage memes about the protesters being violent thugs and also how scary overland transportation of oil is. But, his argument should be able to stand on it's own merit. Like, yes, the pipeline doesn't cross the reservation itself or any burial grounds, but is situated within 1/2 mile north of the Sacred Stone Camp, which marks the Northeast corner of the reservation ("I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!")

The EPA and several Federal agencies, upon seeing the revised plans (the pipeline originally went through Bismarck) ordered the Army Corps of Engineers to do two additional environmental impact surveys, and required that the Standing Rock Tribe be brought in to hear their concerns before proceeding with construction. Guess which one didn't happen.

Oh, about that bolded part:

Though, got to love that concern troll bit at the end about "you hate oil but you still use it!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One thing to remember about Berghdal is that unlike most POW's he's been held to an extremely high standard and been carefully examined by the media. Do you really think he's the first guy to get captured while doing something he shouldn't have been doing?
That season of Serial is really interesting for me because it lets you get into Bergdahl's head so to speak, in a way nobody else has ever or may possibly ever have tried to do. You find out how he's just kind of some really nice kid who's kind of spergy and goony and who wants to just save the world, enlists in the military and then decides that he has to keep to his morals - even if they take him far afield.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress these parents:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is it a long-standing Reconstruction-era trend for Africa-Americans to favor Classical names like Dante, Darius, Virgil?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://imgur.com/gallery/exFfe

Those comments

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The flipside is those are all of the comments that are rated less than zero. So it's actually sort of a nice thing that people on Imgur hate that poo poo.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Holy hell I finally spotted one in the wild - the Berniebro turned Trump supporter. Here's a sampling of his Facebook wall. Definitely getting strong (((the globalists))) vibes from this one :tinfoil:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pretty sure that RT is literally part of the Russian government. I think their accounts are fine.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samson was a man who was kind of dumb and gullible, spent all his time fighting foreigners, put great value in his hair, and was ultimately defeated by a woman. Yep, it checks out.

Edit: Is it "Rothschilds" or "Rothschildren?"

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

Samson was a man who was kind of dumb and gullible, spent all his time fighting foreigners, put great value in his hair, and was ultimately defeated by a woman. Yep, it checks out.
:golfclap:

That got me wondering, what degree of assault is it to give someone a non-consensual haircut? Because it'd be loving hilarious to see Trump get a surprise clipper trim after losing the election. Not even like his Vince McMahon buzzing, just a hasty awkward patchy sneak job to wreck that hairdo forever.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

:golfclap:

That got me wondering, what degree of assault is it to give someone a non-consensual haircut? Because it'd be loving hilarious to see Trump get a surprise clipper trim after losing the election. Not even like his Vince McMahon buzzing, just a hasty awkward patchy sneak job to wreck that hairdo forever.

Well, Mitt Romney did it in college and got away with it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wasn't there an Amish case of non-consensual beard cutting that got "real" courts involve a few years ago?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

Wasn't there an Amish case of non-consensual beard cutting that got "real" courts involve a few years ago?

yeah, the ringleader was a guy named Sam Mullet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergholz_Community#The_beard_cutting_attacks

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

A guy named Mullet committed hair related crimes. We are living in a Batman comic.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

These are always my favorites, because Smartmatic is providing exactly zero voting machines this year, and once you bring this up whoever you're talking to typically starts sounding a lot more overtly racist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably shouldn't tell them that Marvel has a Captain Britain who is a Muslim woman.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

muscles like this! posted:

Probably shouldn't tell them that Marvel has a Captain Britain who is a Muslim woman.

Well yeah, that's because the weak and decadent Labor Party let them invade London and turn it into Londonistan. It's like you don't listen to Nigel Farage at all...

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

KiteAuraan posted:

Well yeah, that's because the weak and decadent Labor Party let them invade London and turn it into Londonistan. It's like you don't listen to Nigel Farage at all...

Didn't the internet used to love Farage back when he was just ranting about the EU?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Farage and the National Front have been fascist supporters since he was a kid. Anyone that claims to not know that but promoting him was most probably willfully trying to feign ignorance since Farage made his positions pretty clear.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 1, 2016

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is it a long-standing Reconstruction-era trend for Africa-Americans to favor Classical names like Dante, Darius, Virgil?

Pretty sure that goes back to slavery - you get a lot of classical names on old slave censuses. Don't know if it was meant as a cruel joke - "He's named after a Roman emperor, but he's a slave!" - or just showing off a classical education, but American slave-owners seemed to use Roman and Greek names a lot for slaves.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Angry Salami posted:

Pretty sure that goes back to slavery - you get a lot of classical names on old slave censuses. Don't know if it was meant as a cruel joke - "He's named after a Roman emperor, but he's a slave!" - or just showing off a classical education, but American slave-owners seemed to use Roman and Greek names a lot for slaves.

It was probably more of how owners name their pets unfortunately :(. Also Antebellum Southern plantation owners fancied themselves as haute couture despite the fact that their riches were gained with the blood of other human beings.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My friend's kid went as Trump. He picked out a suit that was three sizes too big and wore a plastic baggy glove on his right hand. Kid is gonna go far

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Ooh, someone has a favourite child.

Last night I saw a mother-daughter pair costume with the daughter going as Hillary and the mother going as the "smashed glass ceiling."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Ms. Marvel

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Open your eyes people. Muslims are OFFENDED by our FREEDOM and want SHARIA LAW!

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

Open your eyes people. Muslims are OFFENDED by our FREEDOM and want SHARIA LAW!

When my uncle posted this one I just replied "The only places in America that I can't drink are because of Christian laws, last I checked."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm pretty sure the main social changes Muslims as a group want are ones that make them less discriminated against and/or constantly accused of terrorism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Basically the weird black naming thing was an offshoot or amalgamation of the Black Power and Muslim movements, which had a lot of stuff in them about "slave names" etc. Spelling a name in the non-Anglo-Christian manner was seen as a form of empowerment and ownership of oneself - unfortunately though it quickly became obvious that it makes it pretty easy to stwereotype and potentially practise illegal discrimination in hiring and other cases such as rental applications and loans, etc.

For this sort of reason I don't have any problem with "stereotypically black" names; black Americans had a good reason to try and develop a stronger identity of their own, since they were originally stripped from their historical cultures.

I also don't have a problem with unique names in general provided they sound neat and aren't some dumb "unique" spelling of existing names/words (which is pretty much the opposite of creative) or the names of some random object/food/etc.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Posted by a (fortunately) distant cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Selachian posted:

Posted by a (fortunately) distant cousin.

It takes a very repugnant kind of person to make a joke like that; especially if you realize those vanishingly few cases of late term abortions occur for wanted children. Literally shaming women who had to abort to save their life.

Literally nobody waits until month 7/8 and says 'Oh yeah I just don't want this kid anymore'