Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Truly a great day for America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Strike another blow against the globalist, corporatist, statist illuminati stooge federal government

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
In my dreams, it was P. Barnes stunning this dude.

Or Stone Cold.

But seriously, what the gently caress, jackbooted thugs. You had one job - not to legitimize these idiots.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I did my part by voting trump, are you doing yours?
*starship troopers text flies on screen, audio plays of shotgun being pumped*

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Come on you apes, you wanna eat gummy dicks forever?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Militia service guarantees sovereign citizenship

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Militia service guarantees sovereign citizenship

lmbo

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Some quotes from a juror

OregonLive posted:

"It should be known that all 12 jurors felt that this verdict was a statement regarding the various failures of the prosecution to prove 'conspiracy' in the count itself – and not any form of affirmation of the defense's various beliefs, actions or aspirations,'' Juror 4 wrote Friday in a lengthy email to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Each was accused of conspiring to prevent employees of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Bureau of Land Management from carrying out their official work through intimidation, threat or force during the 41-day occupation.

Juror 4 noted the panel couldn't simply rely on the defendants' "defining actions'' to convict.

"All 12 agreed that impeding existed, even if as an effect of the occupation,'' he wrote.

"But we were not asked to judge on bullets and hurt feelings, rather to decide if any agreement was made with an illegal object in mind,'' the Marylhurst student wrote. "It seemed this basic, high standard of proof was lost upon the prosecution throughout.''

Defense lawyers urged jurors in closing arguments not to mix-up the "effect'' of the occupation – which undoubtedly kept federal employees from doing their jobs - from the "intent'' of the occupiers.

"Inference, while possibly compelling, proved to be insulting or inadequate to 12 diversely situated people as a means to convict,'' the juror wrote. "The air of triumphalism that the prosecution brought was not lost on any of us, nor was it warranted given their burden of proof.''

lmao

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bundy boys get off, Clinton gets new investigation over her email server.

Justice!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Emanuel Collective posted:

Some quotes from a juror

lmao

empty quote

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Honestly, I think the prosecution must have done a very poor job in closing connecting facts to instruction and it sounds like they mostly focused on "look at this bad poo poo" over "here's why this bad poo poo shows conspiracy."

Yeah, you might have had a hang from peoplr like 4, but a good closing would have given other jurors something to hang their hat on when the opposed #4. Closing is at least in part about giving your jurors an arguement for what you want. Clearly juror 11 had no such ammo or he'd have had a juror or 2 with him and his dismissal would have mattered less.
I think it is highly unlikely it was a jury of 11 sovcits. It was 1 or 2 strong sov cits and a whole bunch of weak jurors. The prosecution probably assumed their case was so strong that they didn't want more strong jurors (which increases the likilhood of a hang).

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Some quotes from a juror

lmao

How is it more insulting to ask someone to infer intent then having to explain it to them like a 8 year old

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

How is it more insulting to ask someone to infer intent then having to explain it to them like a 8 year old

When the 8 year old would reject the argument.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Case update: settled before Tuesday jury trial. 180k. :boom:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

Nice, time for steak and bourbon

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Suck it, mccurley

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

EwokEntourage posted:

This is what Jury Instructions are for, in theory

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Ugh punnishment is hanging by a thread..

Won an in the max stabbing trial Tuesday tho :coal:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nichol posted:

Ugh punnishment is hanging by a thread..

Won an in the max stabbing trial Tuesday tho :coal:

took forever for dez to come through

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

EwokEntourage posted:

took forever for dez to come through

Ffffffff that play buried me in both my leagues.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I got back from vacation today to find that the day I landed in Australia, someone filed an amicus brief in one of my appeals, and my deadline to respond to it is tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Island law!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

echopapa posted:

I got back from vacation today to find that the day I landed in Australia, someone filed an amicus brief in one of my appeals, and my deadline to respond to it is tomorrow.

No colleagues to tell you that an appeal was filed?

Just respond with your posts in this thread. It's not like you can have any confidence in the island law system at this point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

echopapa posted:

well why did you expect anything but bad things to happen when you went to Australia.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/the-man-behind-the-nations-most-litigious-patent-troll-has-spoken/

I don't know enough about patent litigation to have an opinion, but the tech blogs I read certainly hate these people, and make a compelling case as to why I should as well.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Edit: Nvm

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

More seasoned biglaw folks: For some reason, now that I've been at [firm] for a year, I get called at least daily by recruiters and such. I'm not looking to move yet, certainly, but they keep offering to meet quickly anyway to just talk through the market or future or whatever. Any of y'all think there's anything worthwhile to gain from talking to these folks, or not unless or until I'm actually thinking of upping sticks?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

blarzgh posted:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/the-man-behind-the-nations-most-litigious-patent-troll-has-spoken/

I don't know enough about patent litigation to have an opinion, but the tech blogs I read certainly hate these people, and make a compelling case as to why I should as well.
Patent trolls are the lowest form of legal life. At least the guys that make a living suing small businesses for ADA violations are making the world more accessible to the handicapped.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gobbeldygook posted:

Patent trolls are the lowest form of legal life. At least the guys that make a living suing small businesses for ADA violations are making the world more accessible to the handicapped.

Counterpoint: the biggest ada lawyer around here is opening a KISS themed resturaunt. Nothing lower.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lower than health insurance company, management-side employment, corporate-side environmental, etc. attorneys?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

Lower than health insurance company, management-side employment, corporate-side environmental, etc. attorneys?
I put most patent trolls below most of those. In most cases, patent trolls are a pure protection racket that do nothing but subtract value from the world, but e.g. health insurance company attorneys fight to prevent payments for useless treatments, against the company being defrauded, against those who simply don't like the contract they agreed to, etc.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Gobbeldygook posted:

I put most patent trolls below most of those. In most cases, patent trolls are a pure protection racket that do nothing but subtract value from the world, but e.g. health insurance company attorneys fight to prevent payments for useless treatments, against the company being defrauded, against those who simply don't like the contract they agreed to, etc.

That is some serious capitalism-loving rationalization there. We're not talking about public defenders protecting poor people's rights here, we're talking about people who make a lot of money finding creative ways to deny healthcare to children and other people. There's no real (moral) currency in saying "I would rather see a thousand impoverished, sick children go untreated than let one non-sick child receive treatment!" I really don't give a poo poo about small businesses and their awkward patent conflicts in comparison to this.

At least patent trolls are finding holes in some very hosed up systems (patents, capitalism, and the legal industry/system) and tearing them wide open for everybody to see.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

That is some serious capitalism-loving rationalization there. We're not talking about public defenders protecting poor people's rights here, we're talking about people who make a lot of money finding creative ways to deny healthcare to children and other people. There's no real (moral) currency in saying "I would rather see a thousand impoverished, sick children go untreated than let one non-sick child receive treatment!" I really don't give a poo poo about small businesses and their awkward patent conflicts in comparison to this.

At least patent trolls are finding holes in some very hosed up systems (patents, capitalism, and the legal industry/system) and tearing them wide open for everybody to see.
Even if Barack Hussein Obama nationalized all of the doctors and hospitals in America in the name of glorious communism and rededicated them to providing the best treatment possible for as many people as possible, there would still be government-side healthcare attorneys arguing against sick people getting uneconomical, inappropriate, and ineffective treatments that they really wanted.

related
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/793116547648724993

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Gobbeldygook posted:

Even if Barack Hussein Obama nationalized all of the doctors and hospitals in America in the name of glorious communism and rededicated them to providing the best treatment possible for as many people as possible, there would still be government-side healthcare attorneys arguing against sick people getting uneconomical, inappropriate, and ineffective treatments that they really wanted.

related
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/793116547648724993

However, there won't be the same profit motive. There will be motivation to save money, but it's not the same. At my old union-side labor and benefits firm, I did some work for the determination board of a coal miner union healthcare fund, and while it still felt sickening to sometimes be involved in denying dental surgery to children or nitpicking the transportation costs of people who had to drive 800 miles to get brain surgery, there was at least the sense that all of these decisions were being done for the good of the community, and you tried to determine whether somebody really was supposed to receive treatment or reimbursement based on the wording of the plan and their actual needs.

The patients about whom you were making these decisions were part of the same group of people you were being employed by to make these decisions, and denying somebody coverage for iffy reasons was not considered desirable. If you work for a private insurance company, however, every denial of coverage is a victory.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ugghhhhhh itt you fight with partners over money.

Trust no one.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 31, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I did doc review training recently and for some reason three dozen biglaw associates were there to say and do nothing but bill for the four hours of time we "trained". good to see the profession at work.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Ugghhhhhh itt you fight with partners over money.

Trust no one.

Or how about your partner gives you 7 days notice he's quitting. That's fun too!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

JohnCompany posted:

More seasoned biglaw folks: For some reason, now that I've been at [firm] for a year, I get called at least daily by recruiters and such. I'm not looking to move yet, certainly, but they keep offering to meet quickly anyway to just talk through the market or future or whatever. Any of y'all think there's anything worthwhile to gain from talking to these folks, or not unless or until I'm actually thinking of upping sticks?
You are probably too junior for it to make sense to move, but it really doesn't hurt to talk to them occasionally. My suggestion would be to find one or two recruiters who seem better than the others, and talk to them every 6 months or so to sound out the market.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

These guys (and MPHJ) aren't really what people talk about when they talk patent trolls most of the time. These guys are just relying on general desire to avoid litigation to force small settlements - they aren't the IVs or Acacias of the world, who are actually trying to extract real money from major companies. Those guys are also scum, but there's a vague justification for what they do (providing liquidity in the IP market) that the people in that article really don't deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Well yeah there's a wide range of trolls/NPEs. I don't think there's anything really morally wrong for an NPE to target huge companies as they have the means to fight back. Plus, benefits from the patent system are basically monopolized by the giant multinationals anyway so nothing wrong with chipping away at them occasionally.

I say all this as someone working in house at a giant multinational corporation.