Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
There is a spot for subs, now of they add in audio tuning this game will be next level. I spent way to much time in my youth doing that, and yes I had a stereo that cost 2x the car it was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've suspected this old demo had something to do with the game's aesthetic but if adding massive sound systems to your lovely little rig is gonna be a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbd0G3o9-to
(Crazy Moonspeak only, sorry)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Decided to change the posters.

Juha Kankkunen - Toyota Celica GT4

Keke Rosberg - Williams FW08, Ari Vatanen - Peugeot 405 T16

Mika Häkkinen - McLaren MP4/8

:finland:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I can't figure out how to do half the stuff in this game but it owns, also the scissor jack is a hateful poo poo just like irl ones. Also is there a way of rotating parts on more than one axis?

Is there a map of where stuff is because after spending 9000 hours figuring out how to start and drive the van I drove around and got lost after 5 seconds.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ugh, I was taking Old Blue down the road to where I left the Septic Sucker (from when I drove it down the road because as I was about to turn off the highway, a speeder rear-ends me and kills me, and the van was left at the side of the road) and it went off the road and I died. Now it's going to be a long rear end walk back to it. I wish that they plan on putting in a bike that you can ride and stash it on the vehicles because even with the run ability, it's still a slog of a trip.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I've suspected this old demo had something to do with the game's aesthetic but if adding massive sound systems to your lovely little rig is gonna be a thing...

(Crazy Moonspeak only, sorry)

It will be a thing since every lovely car that your average amis get their hands on inevitably gets a sound system upgrade.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Ringo Star Get posted:

even with the run ability

wait...you can do what?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

wait...you can do what?

You have to bind the key but yes, you can.

I'm not sure if you could run all the way to town and drive back without dying of exhaustion, though... We really need more places to sleep, what sort of Finn can't fall asleep in the back of a van?

fake edit: I've never checked, can you sleep on that bed-looking space in the back of the sewer truck's cab?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just did the rally thing. I need to change my final drive. I set it to the tallest one to Go Fast™ on the highway but I don't need to wrap the dial all the way around on the dirt roads. Seems like it is pretty doable. I got last place because I had a few spins and got a 2 minute penalty for false start. I didn't know how to start because it just said "get ready" on screen but never changed. Once I got the false start, it started counting down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't tell if the tractor parking brake bugged out or it just modeled me burning it out. I have the septic truck bottomed out and wedged into a tree at the start of a ravine and I tried using the tractor and it might have worked if the tractor stayed still after getting out of it. Saved and reloaded and the parking brake seems to be working again but I don't know if I want to gamble for how long because of the time commitment to getting the tractor out to the crash site even though its right around the corner.

This is the strangest prequel to F1 2016.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'll buy this game if you can fuel your car with polttoöljy on the cheap, but the police can stop you and put a wick in your tank and fine you if it comes out red.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

track day bro! posted:

I can't figure out how to do half the stuff in this game but it owns, also the scissor jack is a hateful poo poo just like irl ones. Also is there a way of rotating parts on more than one axis?

Is there a map of where stuff is because after spending 9000 hours figuring out how to start and drive the van I drove around and got lost after 5 seconds.

1. No, you have to pick them up and put them down in a different way to spin it on the one axis.

2. You didn't even look one page back, did you? Someone posted a map they made with all the locations on it. Maybe you should look back less than a page.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Picked up my car from the auto shop, drives nicely now, but I lost the exhaust muffler on a bump, but it sounds pretty sweet so who cares.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
After I figured out some basics I decided to demo this game for my cousin. Here is how that went:

I got in the van and drove to the shop. This was a harrowing experience as both the ingame me as well as irl me were drunk (it's halloween, what are you gonna do). When I arrived at the shop I bought everything I wanted, or I tried to. Just as I was done shopping the shopman decided he didn't want to be a shopman anymore, and leaves to stand in the adjacent bar. At this point I am somehow starving and my saussages are at home. I can't buy food cause the shop is closed now. So I go to the bar and drink until I eventually pass out (which is a neat trick) to get to the saussages and wake up in a sauna which it turns out is right there iin my house? Nice! Except not so nice because now I am at home and my van is at the store. Also I now remember I put the saussages in the van before I left. Said van is not here. It is somewhere very other. My bar for hunger is a deep read now. On the top right of my screen it says mortal tuesday. I heard something about a boat though. I look for a boat near the water and find it easy enough. Starting it is almost intutitive. The trip across the lake is so boring I almost crash into a lovely little island. I find the town, run to the shop, buy a single pack of saussages to eat instantly, pay the man, he gives me a bag. The bag does nothing. I cannot use the bag. A bug? I have glossed over the thread, save and reload seems to be the fix for bugs. How do I save? I can only quit without saving. I stumble around the area and find a shitter. Saver and quit. Good! Continue! Good! Go back to where I was. Everything has exploded into a mess of saussages and frozen pizzas. Not so good. Apparently the game remembered my purchases from the day before? Looking at my cash this theory seems plausible. I eat a saussage and am no longer at death's door. Everything has gone rather well so far, relatively speaking. Everything in the shop has also refreshed, so I buy more food and crucially, beer. The shopman tells me I can't afford it. I can't find a way to put anything back. So I save and reload. I buy what I need, get agin a shopping bag (crates of beer seperate), accidentally drop it and am aghast that it has again become completely inert. I save and reload knowing what will happen. At this point there are saussages EVERYWHERE. I spend a god long while throwing everything into the van. I jump in, get confused about where the main road is and roll the van over in a ditch shortly thereafter. I haven't even left the built up area. Saussages are again everwhere. I start loading everything into the toppled over van, soon realizing that this is probably foolish. The push command does nothing. The van is not going anywhere. I need the tractor. It has a forklift thing. I have seen it before, but I have never managed to get it to go. I race to the boat, because my tiredness bar is now bright red. I tear across the lake in the boat and go straight to bed. I wake up with my thirst meter in the red. I drink from the sink while pissing on the floor, then I run to find the tractor. I'm not sure exactly where it is, and my hunger is building up. I have food for weeks, but it's all scattered around the road in the town where the shop is. So find the tactor, get it to go somehow, drive to the shop (very slowly), narrowly avoiding disaster because at this time I am kinda sleepy and annoyed but I want my poo poo, so I find myself swerving off the road. I finally make it to the shop and my van is not there. My cousin points out I turned it over somewhere else. I search and find the van and try some hydraulicery to flip it. To no avail, not in so much as it does nothing as in the van shoots into the air like a loving bottle rocket spewing its last remaining contents all over the asphalt in what I can only describe as a physics event. Frustrated, I reverse and pretty much charge at the van as a jouster would. I don't know exactly what happened, because I was looking at the hydraulics lever by necessity but the van was upright, just it was stuck under the fork of the tractor, and the tractor was completely immobile and unresponsive. My cousin suggested I might try driving the van out from under the tractor, which I attempted. Not a lot happened for a good while, but I eventually wresteld the van loose. I apparently left the tractor in gear or something. Just as soon as it was seperated from the van it drove straight into the lake on its own self. At this point I considered my position. The boat was grounded and was not responding to pushing (I had gunned it on to the shore), the tractor conversely was in the lake. The van was upright but surrounded by so much meat detritus it would have taken me ages to load it all in, and if I flipped it again I would be completely hosed. I declared the run was over.

My cousin bought the game then and there and neither of us knows thing one about cars. We have made a pact that neither of us will look up any my summer car specific information on car assembly. As such I will be leaving the thread now. This has been my review of car game summer or whatever. I hope to attempt building the car soon.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

JointHorse posted:

How much fuel does satsuma use btw? I previously filled it up at the pump, and once I was back home, I had half a tank left. That seems excessive. I got the air/fuel gauge, and adjusted the stock carb to give me ~15 when warm, so it shouldn't be a rich mixture issue. (And I doubt that the tuner carb helps, if anything it should increase fuel usage as it gives more hp.)

Did you make sure that the fuel line is tightened on the gas tank end? I think it appears underneath the car at some point after you put the fuel lines in and causes fuel to leak out if it's not tight. I think it was leaking at roughly the rate you described for me, otherwise the car doesn't use gas very quickly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So here's a question; how on earth are you guys lifting the Satsuma body with the tractor? Every time I try it just ends with the thing on its roof.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

MrChips posted:

So here's a question; how on earth are you guys lifting the Satsuma body with the tractor? Every time I try it just ends with the thing on its roof.

A satsuma is a kind of fruit I think. That's all I got for you.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I skipped through a VOD of a guy building the whole thing from start to finish and it took him like 4 hours and he seemed to know what he was doing... God help anyone who tries without knowing how an engine is put together

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My car is 95% finished.

However, I did a store trip after I died of hunger a few times and finally needed car fluids.

I accidentally bumped into the store glass window and now my tab there is so high I can't buy any sustenance. So I filled up my van and cans with fuel and left without paying.

Accidentally drove into the ditch with my van and died. No idea which ditch. Now I'm at home with no Van. Boy oh boy I get to go search for my van and try towing with the other big thing.

God help me.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 1, 2016

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I got Finnish Tedium Simulator a few days ago and have been having a blast with it. Finally got the engine all put together (and then realized I never bolted the pistons to the crankshaft and took it apart and put it back together again) and now it's in the car.

This is a good idea that will have no repercussions at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrChips posted:

Jack up both ends of the car. Drive the forks under the car and lift it off the jacks.

Teikanmi posted:

I skipped through a VOD of a guy building the whole thing from start to finish and it took him like 4 hours and he seemed to know what he was doing... God help anyone who tries without knowing how an engine is put together

It doesn't really take this long. I've restarted a couple times and it only takes an hour or two to build everything up. Not including the time it takes to go to the store for some of the materials you need.

As a pro-tip for everyone else: You can lean into the car to bolt anything up. You don't have to take everything apart. I blew my engine while doing a clutch dump to get off the highway and it threw 3 pistons. I reloaded but suffered from the bug where anything that blows of your car gets saved automatically and those pistons were unbolted when I got back to the car. I simply got the correct wrench and leaned into the car until I saw the bolts and tightened them all up. I did the same when adjusting the valves to get rid of the ticking. Adjusting the valves also got me a poo poo ton more power. Maybe it's cheating but it saves time. Especially considering that everything is so janky in the first place.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Falken posted:

I just fell in a septic tank :saddowns:

yep I too found out that you can do this the hard way - the first two times I had been walking all over the well and nothing happened, then at the third client wheee... :itwaspoo:

Here's some inspirational videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p-BxTo_r6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tigaa5cwQCw

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Do not stop for the police on the highway. A truck full of logs will obliterate your van when you step out to take the breathalyzer. All of your groceries will be strewn over the asphalt, a cop will be killed, and they will fine you more than you can pay and crash their police cruiser.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do not stop for the police on the highway. A truck full of logs will obliterate your van when you step out to take the breathalyzer. All of your groceries will be strewn over the asphalt, a cop will be killed, and they will fine you more than you can pay and crash their police cruiser.

This is also a real life pro tip.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I finally got the engine in!

Is uh, is there a way to replace a broken windscreen?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mechanic, costs 2 grand.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh good, cheers!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A black hole of trees and slopes where vehicles go to die.

Time to punch the air into the afterlife and rebuild this engine I guess.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Finally got my car running and took it too the shop. Make sure you bring your tools with you incase you need to adjust anything. I would have overheat without it! Somehow I did lose a side panel on the trip though.

Mechanic had a half off sale so that was pretty nice, though I have no idea what a few things are. (final gear change?)

His car is a pos though. Like driving on an ice rank. Hopefully that gets tweaked a bit.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harminoff posted:

Finally got my car running and took it too the shop. Make sure you bring your tools with you incase you need to adjust anything. I would have overheat without it! Somehow I did lose a side panel on the trip though.

Mechanic had a half off sale so that was pretty nice, though I have no idea what a few things are. (final gear change?)

His car is a pos though. Like driving on an ice rank. Hopefully that gets tweaked a bit.

Drive that thing in "2" instead of "D", then it's actually controllable.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/mysummercargame/status/793458200444018688

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Final drive is the gear ratio of your differential. The standard (or vokia I guess) is 4.268 or whatever it says in handwriting on the page. Lower number is higher top speed. Higher number is faster acceleration.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Holy gently caress, the speed wobble is terrifying.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Protip: Save fuel and make your truck easier to drive by routinely emptying the septic tank (wherever you please). Truck becomes nigh uncontrollable at speed with the rear axle lifted, and it chews through fuel at some rate.

I've also managed to dent the gently caress out of the roof of my datsun. No loving idea how, but hey. Guess I ought to save for the body repair.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Walking on your car does indeed dent it. My rad support s super janked from hopping in and out.

I think this save is hosed. I own the store owner 4k from accidentally breaking the window, accidentally clicking too much food, and purposely filling everything with fuel.

Maybe I should plug my phone back in and actually try earning money.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That feeling when you think you've made a connection but it drops the part and it vibrates off into non existence and you hope its respawned at the landfill.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Ziploc posted:

Walking on your car does indeed dent it. My rad support s super janked from hopping in and out.

I think this save is hosed. I own the store owner 4k from accidentally breaking the window, accidentally clicking too much food, and purposely filling everything with fuel.

Maybe I should plug my phone back in and actually try earning money.

do 2 full loads of firefood and you'll earn 6400mk

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I wanted to present the official song of this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXC6uP6494E

It's a song about a kid driving a car, ending up in a ditch because of taking a turn too fast, losing the car, then borrowing the neighbors car and then accidentally getting head on'd by a truck and probably dying I dunno it kinda leaves it open but the last line is pretty much "When I crashed into the truck I guess I crashed for the last time"

Good song about finnish life imho.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
On that note another kinda dark classic about driving cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGY38EwJwq8

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Another classic, called "Gasoline in veins (and speed in skull)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJeeS3t4H-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So the game doesn't care where you empty the pump truck's tank at? Like, you can suck a septic tank dry and then just dump all the poo poo onto dude's front lawn?

• Locked thread