Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

System Metternich posted:

That's super interesting, can you recommend some literature about it? :)
Just yesterday I read an article about Guy Deutscher's book Through the Language Glass which might be worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Quidam Viator marry me.

System Metternich posted:

That's super interesting, can you recommend some literature about it? :)

Aubergine Mage posted:

That was wonderful

Ummmm....I don't know what to say. I'm not used to people liking my stuff, so some part of me feels like I'm being trolled. I have some kind of SA-related trauma, apparently. So, thanks?

I could try to pull up my graduate thesis from 16 years ago, before I started teaching, but more than anything, I found that there was no real literature that specifically did what I was trying to do. And I don't blame academics for that; you can see how much I have to keep hedging. Really picky readers could attack anything I put forward as a really concrete hypothesis as to when cultures really internalized, metaphorized and verbalized their lateralization preferences.

"OH YEAH??? Well, the early Romans thought the worst possible disgrace for an army was being made to pass UNDER a YOKE, because the yoke was used on cattle and slave animals, and it showed that someone was above you, so therefore, Early Republican Romans MUST have thought up was better than down!"

At this point, I would like to point that the English "yoke", the Latin "iugulum", and perhaps shockingly, the word "yoga", all derive from the same Proto-Indo-European stem, *yeug- "to join". And for all the posturing in India about a 5,000 year culture, the practice of yoga, of "yoking oneself" to the divine, isn't written down until... well about 500 BCE, so it's another Axial Age concept! See, this whole idea is not just about archaeology, or philosophy of mind, or history of ideas, but really about biology and etymology, and how human language and consciousness were born out of trying to create language using only primal absolutes.

So, in a way, trying to push such a high-level examination of the whole concept of lateralization preference is kind of my own thing. This is NOT to say that there aren't a million people working at different chunks of the problem. Hell, everyone "knows" about the two hemispheres of the brain. We have great science being done on what's called the "laterality-valence hypothesis", where mammal experiments show that the right hemisphere may be more responsible for retreating, negative, withdrawal reactions, and the left hemisphere more responsible for governing "positive", approaching interactions. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-015-0928-3

And yes, this encoding of "left hand - GROSS, BACK OFF" and "right hand - OK, MOVE FORWARD" can be connected to the origin of civilization. There's a current thesis in anthropology and moral psychology that the main emotion motivating the origin of civilization was not LOVE, but DISGUST. Here, you can read all about that, and try to keep in mind that there's a clinically-demonstrated, biologically-rooted lateralization of left/right, forward/back reactions that MIGHT inform which emotions we express to create culture.
https://aeon.co/essays/how-disgust-made-humans-cooperate-to-build-civilisations

This opens a gigantic hypothetical can of worms. If I WERE to recommend a book, it would be an outdated, speculative, and controversial one, that still has had a lot of impact: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. Reading his work first put me on this path. His hypothesis is radical: the evolution of the human interface with lateralization can be seen as a developing process from the earliest cultural artifacts and writing, and his contention is that we can observe, just in these past five-thousand years, the actual origin of modern consciousness from a previous, more biologically-fundamental version.

Yeah, it's nuts. It provides a functional explanation why people thousands of years ago ACTUALLY DID interact with gods, angels, and divinities, and bases it all not on mysticism, but biology and culture. Jaynes points out that all of our standard speech areas, Wernicke's area, Broca's area, and the supplemental motor area, are all left-lateralized (and therefore associated with right-side dominance in handedness and eye preference). Why would such a critical function be put on only one side of the brain instead of both? He hypothesizes that there is a set of vestigial RIGHT-hemispheric speech centers, which generated internal voices of commands, and claimed that when schizophrenics heard commanding voices, that this ancient speech center lit up and sent information across the anterior commissures, literally bringing the commands of the gods over into what would BECOME the modern identity or consciousness. In other words, what made the ancient god-king societies function was a very prevalent mass schizophrenia, where the imposing ziggurats and monuments induced a kind of hive-minded, mass hallucination that allowed humanity to transition from living in small groups to large, and eventually to abandoning or losing the voices of the gods as they evolved what we call modern consciousness, all VEEERRRYY recently.

Yeah, I know. I have to post a giant study from Oxford about how schizophrenia is a lateralization dysfunction to take the curse off that craziness! http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/128/5/963

Seriously, you put a schizophrenic into an fMRI while they are hearing voices of command, and the mirrored, forgotten parallels to our modern speech centers light up like a god drat Christmas tree. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273663/

So, I'm not crazy, and I don't think Jaynes was either. The basic proposal is that the earliest civilizations we know were not fully conscious like we were; instead, they had a predilection for much more balanced brain activity: the left-hemispheric mind did all the rote, standard, daily-living work of tool use, work, language, and routine analysis. Meanwhile, if something REALLY crazy or stressful happened, which was pretty much all the time, the RIGHT brain would kick in, speak in a divine, commanding voice, perhaps even create a visual hallucination of a relative, friend, or god touching or commanding you, and would give you the solution to implement to relieve the stress. poo poo, Jaynes does an in-depth reading of the Iliad, and shows that the "humans" of that time didn't think in a modern way AT ALL. They didn't have a centralized sense of identity or body holism, instead thinking of people as a collection of parts, but more than anything, he claims that nobody in the Iliad makes a personal choice or is able to LIE in stressful decisions. Seriously, every time Achilles or Agamemnon get stressed about what to do about Briseis, a motherfucking deity reaches in and tells them what to do. And the other motherfuckers ACCEPT THIS AS A VALID EXPLANATION.

Why all this rambling? When you ask questions about which side we prefer, whether we like up or down, or forward or back, you're asking a question that goes all the way down into really fine biology, and is expressed in every level all the way up to the most abstract language and concepts. I taught history, classics, and Latin for 15 years. My general proposal to my students was that the minds of people from other times and places are more radically different than ours than they are the same, and that if we develop a nose for sniffing out those differences, we begin to get to a REAL understanding, not just of them, but of ourselves. The more distant the perspective and deep the understanding of difference, the greater the leverage you have to move your world.

History!

EDIT: Well, this link has been up for years, so I GUESS it's of some valid copyright state, but if not, I'm sure a mod will remove it. Here's the Jaynes book. Enjoy: http://selfdefinition.org/psychology/Julian-Jaynes-Origin-of-Consciousness-Breakdown-of-Bicameral-Mind.pdf

Quidam Viator has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Oct 31, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:stare:

Okay, that's actually super fascinating. How's all that intersect with modern-day societies where things like witchcraft, possession and such are still accepted as valid? For instance, Turner's work among the Ndembu springs to mind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alriclofgar on Reddit posted:

On a purely practical level, bronze makes better weapons than (pure) iron. Bronze has a Vicker's hardness (HV) of about 300, while pure iron is closer to 100HV. Practically speaking, that means that iron weapons are more difficult to keep sharp and are more likely to bend. You may have heard of the passage from Caesar's Gallic Wars where the barbarian warriors have to stop mid-battle and straighten their bent iron swords? Metallographic analyses of surviving swords from the period suggest that this was probably a true story. Gallic swords were typically made from pure iron with very high ductility (easily bent), and would not have stood up well to a protracted fight. Early iron weapons were, on the whole, not very good, and this didn't really change until steel became widespread in the early middle ages. Given a choice between a well-made bronze spear and an iron spear from antiquity, I would probably choose to fight with the bronze.

The real reason for the shift from iron to bronze had more to do with economics and, probably, with magic.

Copper and tin are both relatively rare, and access to bronze depended, consequentially, on maintaining long trade routes to ensure steady supply. Single Bronze Age copper mines like the one on Great Orm (Wales) appear to have provided copper for a wide geographic area, and the community which controlled it must have leveraged their monopoly to enormous social advantage. Iron ore, in contrast, is much more common, making it easier to produce a stockpile of weapons locally without having to trade with distant monopolies. The greatest limit on local iron production is charcoal, as smelting iron ore into useful metal requires a lot of trees.

Most scholars agree that the collapse of long-range trade routes around the 12th century BC (the 'Greek Dark Age' or 'Bronze Age Collapse') pushed many people to become more reliant on local resources, which sparked the slow transition to reliance on iron weapons.

The transition from bronze to iron took a long time, though - bronze weapons and armor remained common well into the 1st millennium BC. This is almost certainly in part due to bronze's superiority over pure, soft iron, but also may have been connected to the 'magical' or ritual functions of weaponry in the ancient world. Chris Gosden recently made this argument, suggesting that the conceptual shift from bronze to iron working required more than the development of new technological processes. Bronze is melted into a liquid and cast into a mold, while iron is hammered into shape while still a solid (it's only much later that the technology to cast weapons-grade iron became available in the western world). Switching from one metal to the other wasn't, therefore, as simple as swapping out one material for the other. It required both new technological processes and a new understanding of what a metal could be and what it could do. Bronze was a liquid, and Gosden notes that bronze weapons were frequently thrown into water as sacrifices. Iron, in contrast, is more closely connected with the soil (iron ore is often rusty sand, iron is worked as a solid instead of a liquid, and - left alone - iron quickly transforms back into rusty dirt), and Gosden notes that iron technology really took off on in many parts of Europe only after there was a cultural shift away from religious / magical rituals connected with water toward new rituals concerned with fertility and the ground (and in these rituals, iron - instead of bronze - objects start to be sacrificed). It was only with this conceptual shift, Gosden argues, in which earth - and iron - replaced bronze's ritual, magical role that people were willing to embrace the new material and finally abandon bronze weapons.

So when an army equipped itself with iron weapons instead of bronze, it wasn't a simple trade of bad/old technology for newer/better. The new iron weapons were likely more difficult to keep sharp and more likely to be damaged. They were, however, also likely less expensive (or at least, easier to come by locally without reaching too far afield), which meant you could arm a larger warband in your back yard than in the old bronze-dominated economy. And the new iron weapons likely had different ritual and magical associations which made them more (or less) suitable for the grim business to come. All these factors were ultimately much more significant than the simple hardness of the metal.

Cite is: Gosden, C., (2012), Material, Magic and Matter: understanding different ontologies: in “Maran, J. and Stockhammer, P. (eds) Materiality and Social Practice. Transformative Capacities of Intercultural Encounters”, pp 13-19, Oxford: Oxbow Books.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Cite is: Gosden, C., (2012), Material, Magic and Matter: understanding different ontologies: in “Maran, J. and Stockhammer, P. (eds) Materiality and Social Practice. Transformative Capacities of Intercultural Encounters”, pp 13-19, Oxford: Oxbow Books.

This reasoning seems kind of backwards to me. The collapse of long trade routes resulted in people being more reliant on local resources, and therefor they developed iron-working?

It seems to me like the opposite would be true. Once people figured out how to make weapons out of iron they no longer had to pay tribute to distant monopolies, and rag tag bands of raiders could make iron weapons (where it took a large organized government to make bronze weapons). Which is why all of the bronze age civilizations collapsed, because the social/war/power structure built up around bronze was no longer viable.

Rutibex has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Oct 31, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a gap of centuries. Order of events is clear, if not causation.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
As a little kid in Nebraska, I recall adults would point out a certain kind of plane in the sky and call it a "looking glass". Turns out that was indeed a thing, planes would alternate carrying top generals up so there was always a commander airborne in case WWIII broke out so they could carry on a "mirror image" of operations if we lost our ground folks. This small detail is pretty :black101: :yarr: :

quote:

At DEFCON 2 or higher, the Looking Glass pilot and co-pilot were both required to wear an eye patch, retrieved from their Emergency War Order (EWO) kit. In the event of a surprise blinding flash from a nuclear detonation, the eye patch would prevent blindness in the covered eye, thus enabling them to see in at least one eye and continue flying. Later, the eye patch was replaced by goggles that would instantaneously turn opaque when exposed to a nuclear flash, then rapidly clear for normal vision.

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Oct 31, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those are some steely‐eyed aviators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgCLMI3fgn0

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Siivola posted:

:stare:

Okay, that's actually super fascinating. How's all that intersect with modern-day societies where things like witchcraft, possession and such are still accepted as valid? For instance, Turner's work among the Ndembu springs to mind.

Again, I'd point you to the Jaynes book, because he's already done so much of the anthropological heavy lifting to provide even a framework for these wild claims.

However, put simply, the idea of "bicamerality", that shared agency between the "identity" of the left-brain, speech-producing, "rational" mind, and the "intuition" of the right-brain, abstract, "imaginative" brain is not an eliminative concept. People like to reduce evolutions into hard transitions from one thing to another. If you read that McAuliffe article on Aeon, you'll see that there's an immense amount of evolutionary crossover between what we adapted to do just as animals, what we adapted to 50,000 years ago as pre-conscious humans, and what we adapted to during the rise of agriculture 10 kya, the rise of language 5kya, and a bunch of stages since then.

The rate at which a culture or even a subgroup of a culture transitions through those periods is incredibly variable, and dependent upon every force that is a part of human existence. In Western civilization, we have many turning points. Have you read 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Turning Points in Ancient History)? It talks about a major inflection point around which the cultures of the Mediterranean turned.

Jaynes will go so far as to say that the meeting of the Conquistadors and the Aztecs or Inca was LITERALLY a meeting of two different versions of human consciousness. The Americans were still operating under a god-king theocracy, and were bicameral, incapable of easy lying and deception, bound to rigid structures, and crippled by stressors beyond what their highly-regimented civilization could absorb. Meanwhile, the Europeans had a modern, left-brain dominant consciousness, with an analog I, a sense of self, and the ability to construct elaborate strategies. So, your question about Turner and the Ndembu is very prescient: There is a great amount of high-level, CULTURAL liminality here. If we thought of a culture as a person, we could see the European culture of the 16th century as having gone through a series of rites of passage that had not yet become available to the Americans of that time.

But, as you well know, liminality is not exclusive or eliminative, which brings me full circle. You were probably thinking metaphorically about Turner's idea of "multivocality" now not only applied to ritual objects, but to humans as part of a society as multivocal ritual objects themselves. A modern day Jew talking about Yahweh is partially expressing voices from the entire range from almost 4 kya to the modern day. Evolution does not just throw away its foundations. It should be clear that to whatever extent a human being living in modern, Western, "rationally conscious" culture believes in mystical things such as, but not limited to witchcraft, possession, angels, devils, demons, ghosts, gods, and magic, is the extent to which that individual has drunk from the same well as the Ndembu.

And it should be abundantly clear that this is no condemnation of those who believe, but rather an attempt to grasp at a theory that can both explain the evolution of consciousness, and account for the stunning variances in cultural and civilizational beliefs that have been open to use on the world stage since writing. I tend to follow this idea of a progression from Edenic, animal humanity to a crisis which demanded bicameral, bilateralized thinking, to another crisis which created a series of breakdowns in the bicameral mind, which leads us to our modern, heterogeneous mental condition.

All of this study was precipitated by the realization in my freshman year of college that I had no capacity for internal visualization or audialization, and so was shut out from what most people call imagination. The modern consciousness asserts itself as fully aware and conscious and yet people can still dream, picture things in their head, have elaborate fantasies, have internal conversations, and still claim to be able to make a clear distinction between rational, conscious, reality and the mystic world of fantasy. This leaves me with all sorts of questions about liminality and reality, but this is veering far away from the historical, so I'll stop again.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've only been studying anthropology for bit over a year so a lot of that goes over my head, but thanks!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hasn't that left-right brain stuff been called a brilliant idea without a shred of evidence to back it up?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Quidam Viator posted:

Ummmm....I don't know what to say. I'm not used to people liking my stuff, so some part of me feels like I'm being trolled. I have some kind of SA-related trauma, apparently. So, thanks?

I could try to pull up my graduate thesis from 16 years ago, before I started teaching, but more than anything, I found that there was no real literature that specifically did what I was trying to do. And I don't blame academics for that; you can see how much I have to keep hedging. Really picky readers could attack anything I put forward as a really concrete hypothesis as to when cultures really internalized, metaphorized and verbalized their lateralization preferences.

"OH YEAH??? Well, the early Romans thought the worst possible disgrace for an army was being made to pass UNDER a YOKE, because the yoke was used on cattle and slave animals, and it showed that someone was above you, so therefore, Early Republican Romans MUST have thought up was better than down!"

At this point, I would like to point that the English "yoke", the Latin "iugulum", and perhaps shockingly, the word "yoga", all derive from the same Proto-Indo-European stem, *yeug- "to join". And for all the posturing in India about a 5,000 year culture, the practice of yoga, of "yoking oneself" to the divine, isn't written down until... well about 500 BCE, so it's another Axial Age concept! See, this whole idea is not just about archaeology, or philosophy of mind, or history of ideas, but really about biology and etymology, and how human language and consciousness were born out of trying to create language using only primal absolutes.

So, in a way, trying to push such a high-level examination of the whole concept of lateralization preference is kind of my own thing. This is NOT to say that there aren't a million people working at different chunks of the problem. Hell, everyone "knows" about the two hemispheres of the brain. We have great science being done on what's called the "laterality-valence hypothesis", where mammal experiments show that the right hemisphere may be more responsible for retreating, negative, withdrawal reactions, and the left hemisphere more responsible for governing "positive", approaching interactions. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-015-0928-3

And yes, this encoding of "left hand - GROSS, BACK OFF" and "right hand - OK, MOVE FORWARD" can be connected to the origin of civilization. There's a current thesis in anthropology and moral psychology that the main emotion motivating the origin of civilization was not LOVE, but DISGUST. Here, you can read all about that, and try to keep in mind that there's a clinically-demonstrated, biologically-rooted lateralization of left/right, forward/back reactions that MIGHT inform which emotions we express to create culture.
https://aeon.co/essays/how-disgust-made-humans-cooperate-to-build-civilisations

This opens a gigantic hypothetical can of worms. If I WERE to recommend a book, it would be an outdated, speculative, and controversial one, that still has had a lot of impact: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. Reading his work first put me on this path. His hypothesis is radical: the evolution of the human interface with lateralization can be seen as a developing process from the earliest cultural artifacts and writing, and his contention is that we can observe, just in these past five-thousand years, the actual origin of modern consciousness from a previous, more biologically-fundamental version.

Yeah, it's nuts. It provides a functional explanation why people thousands of years ago ACTUALLY DID interact with gods, angels, and divinities, and bases it all not on mysticism, but biology and culture. Jaynes points out that all of our standard speech areas, Wernicke's area, Broca's area, and the supplemental motor area, are all left-lateralized (and therefore associated with right-side dominance in handedness and eye preference). Why would such a critical function be put on only one side of the brain instead of both? He hypothesizes that there is a set of vestigial RIGHT-hemispheric speech centers, which generated internal voices of commands, and claimed that when schizophrenics heard commanding voices, that this ancient speech center lit up and sent information across the anterior commissures, literally bringing the commands of the gods over into what would BECOME the modern identity or consciousness. In other words, what made the ancient god-king societies function was a very prevalent mass schizophrenia, where the imposing ziggurats and monuments induced a kind of hive-minded, mass hallucination that allowed humanity to transition from living in small groups to large, and eventually to abandoning or losing the voices of the gods as they evolved what we call modern consciousness, all VEEERRRYY recently.

Yeah, I know. I have to post a giant study from Oxford about how schizophrenia is a lateralization dysfunction to take the curse off that craziness! http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/128/5/963

Seriously, you put a schizophrenic into an fMRI while they are hearing voices of command, and the mirrored, forgotten parallels to our modern speech centers light up like a god drat Christmas tree. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273663/

So, I'm not crazy, and I don't think Jaynes was either. The basic proposal is that the earliest civilizations we know were not fully conscious like we were; instead, they had a predilection for much more balanced brain activity: the left-hemispheric mind did all the rote, standard, daily-living work of tool use, work, language, and routine analysis. Meanwhile, if something REALLY crazy or stressful happened, which was pretty much all the time, the RIGHT brain would kick in, speak in a divine, commanding voice, perhaps even create a visual hallucination of a relative, friend, or god touching or commanding you, and would give you the solution to implement to relieve the stress. poo poo, Jaynes does an in-depth reading of the Iliad, and shows that the "humans" of that time didn't think in a modern way AT ALL. They didn't have a centralized sense of identity or body holism, instead thinking of people as a collection of parts, but more than anything, he claims that nobody in the Iliad makes a personal choice or is able to LIE in stressful decisions. Seriously, every time Achilles or Agamemnon get stressed about what to do about Briseis, a motherfucking deity reaches in and tells them what to do. And the other motherfuckers ACCEPT THIS AS A VALID EXPLANATION.

Why all this rambling? When you ask questions about which side we prefer, whether we like up or down, or forward or back, you're asking a question that goes all the way down into really fine biology, and is expressed in every level all the way up to the most abstract language and concepts. I taught history, classics, and Latin for 15 years. My general proposal to my students was that the minds of people from other times and places are more radically different than ours than they are the same, and that if we develop a nose for sniffing out those differences, we begin to get to a REAL understanding, not just of them, but of ourselves. The more distant the perspective and deep the understanding of difference, the greater the leverage you have to move your world.

History!

EDIT: Well, this link has been up for years, so I GUESS it's of some valid copyright state, but if not, I'm sure a mod will remove it. Here's the Jaynes book. Enjoy: http://selfdefinition.org/psychology/Julian-Jaynes-Origin-of-Consciousness-Breakdown-of-Bicameral-Mind.pdf

bicameralism is utter bullshit

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Hogge Wild posted:

HEYYYYY that's the SA experience I'm used to! Thanks for makin me feel at home, pardner.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Quidam Viator posted:

HEYYYYY that's the SA experience I'm used to! Thanks for makin me feel at home, pardner.

I genuinely enjoyed your posts and would like more of them. Unproven scientific theories can still be great tools for fiction. The idea of a bicameral culture meeting and trying to communicate with a unicameral one sounds like it could be some great sci-fi. What do you mean when you say you can't imagine things?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Request (or, more specifically, a request to see if this actually happened or if the story I read was apocryphal:

I recall reading a story about some feudalism-era (I think?) painter who, as was the style at the time, drew women in their "ideal" state: plump and hairless. Did a ton of them. When he got married, however, he freaked out on his wedding night because he was suddenly faced with an actual woman who wasn't plump and had hair down there. As this half-remembered story goes, he immediately flees the scene, gets a divorce, and becomes a monk/priest/whatever for the rest of his life.

I've tried googling this off and on for a long time to no avail, so I'm inclined to think it's bullshit, but it almost kinda makes sense.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

Request (or, more specifically, a request to see if this actually happened or if the story I read was apocryphal:

I recall reading a story about some feudalism-era (I think?) painter who, as was the style at the time, drew women in their "ideal" state: plump and hairless. Did a ton of them. When he got married, however, he freaked out on his wedding night because he was suddenly faced with an actual woman who wasn't plump and had hair down there. As this half-remembered story goes, he immediately flees the scene, gets a divorce, and becomes a monk/priest/whatever for the rest of his life.

I've tried googling this off and on for a long time to no avail, so I'm inclined to think it's bullshit, but it almost kinda makes sense.

I have heard this story too! I think it's the guy who painted a bunch of english ladies with bulbous eggy heads. I think it's at least documented that Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette's husband, had never seen female genitalia before marrying her and found it horrifying.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Serious question: I read about theory/hypothesis that's as follows: ancient humans tried to understand animals on more than an instinctive level - they tried to understand what the animals were thinking. This was an useful skill during hunting so evolution kept it. But this "imagination of another mind" had a side effect. Humans tried to apply it to anything that seemed to be 'alive' in any way. Nature. The sun and stars. The weather. Humans tried to predict them by imagining what those parts of the world were thinking. And sometimes, it even seemed to work. This is how the concept of gods/spirits/whatever was born, and why ancient religions had a god for every single power of nature.

And because the skill to imagine other minds is so incredibly useful, we kept it, and if anything we got better at it. And with it grew our ability to imagine minds where there weren't any. Gods. It's been part of us since the Stone Age, at the least. This explains why so many people believe in the supernatural even now.

How does this theory tie in with the one you are talking about, if at all?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

odysseus lied all the time

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Quidam Viator posted:

Evolution does not just throw away its foundations. It should be clear that to whatever extent a human being living in modern, Western, "rationally conscious" culture believes in mystical things such as, but not limited to witchcraft, possession, angels, devils, demons, ghosts, gods, and magic, is the extent to which that individual has drunk from the same well as the Ndembu.

I tend to follow this idea of a progression from Edenic, animal humanity to a crisis which demanded bicameral, bilateralized thinking, to another crisis which created a series of breakdowns in the bicameral mind, which leads us to our modern, heterogeneous mental condition.

Here's where i'm not following you though. People in the distant past believed in these things and saw them acting in the world because they weren't "conscious" as Jaynes puts it, weren't capable of introspection, perceived themselves being acted on by the right-brain voice. But people who are living right now, whom you can meet and talk to, who are conscious and capable of introspection seem to believe in these things and see them acting in the world in pretty much the same way? It starts to sound a like a lot of old timey race science being propped up around a little bit of modern neuroscience, especially in that second part of the quote and the part about the colonization of the americas

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I have heard this story too! I think it's the guy who painted a bunch of english ladies with bulbous eggy heads. I think it's at least documented that Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette's husband, had never seen female genitalia before marrying her and found it horrifying.

They don't put pubes on sculptures.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Decrepus posted:

They might have painted them on though. A lot of classical statues were really colorful originally, and probably much more detailed than our reconstructions can show

I believe the analysis we use to recreate painted statues can only show the bottom layer of color, so we shouldn't assume they painted everything flat. There are definitely classical examples of painting that's just as masterful as the renaissance

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Werewolf!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Samovar posted:

Werewolf!

There. There wolf. There castle!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Samovar posted:

Werewolf!

I dunno, you had him last.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

They might have painted them on though. A lot of classical statues were really colorful originally, and probably much more detailed than our reconstructions can show

I believe the analysis we use to recreate painted statues can only show the bottom layer of color, so we shouldn't assume they painted everything flat.

I always wondered why they would go to all the trouble of carving an intricate marble statue, only to paint it like the mass produced Ronald McDonalds you see outside of restaurants. If you are going to paint them so gaudy you may as well make them out of molded concrete. Did Romans every make concrete statues?

Rutibex has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Oct 31, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rutibex posted:

I always wondered why they would go to all the trouble of carving an intricate marble statue, only to paint it like the mass produced Ronald McDonalds you see outside of restaurants.

It’s simple: they didn’t have mass‐produced Ronald McDonalds.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

I always wondered why they would go to all the trouble of carving an intricate marble statue, only to paint it like the mass produced Ronald McDonalds you see outside of restaurants. If you are going to paint them so gaudy you may as well make them out of molded concrete. Did Romans every make concrete statues?

That's what I'm saying, they didn't paint them gaudy. Our reconstructions look gaudy because we have no way of determining how they did highlights and shadow.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of John Ruskin, the enormously influential 19th-century British art critic. His marriage was annulled because of non-consummation, and the rumour went round that he'd spent so much time looking at Classical depictions of the female form he wasn't prepared for the existence of pubic hair. He definitely had some odd complex where his wife (and possibly women in general) were concerned, but there's no direct evidence for the pubes thing, and the fact that she was having a fairly public affair with the painter John Millais probably didn't help.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Maybe they didn't seem gaudy to the romans, since they didn't have poo poo like mcdonalds to associated those colour schemes with.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Slime posted:

Maybe they didn't seem gaudy to the romans, since they didn't have poo poo like mcdonalds to associated those colour schemes with.

People for a long time would've killed for the sort of trivially cheap bright pigments that mcdonalds' garishness is made of.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rutibex posted:

I saw some researcher say in a documentary about the statue colors too that some of these statues were not exactly viewable up close, because they might be on top of a 30 ft tall building and only really visible in daylight. In that case, higher contrast makes the underlying sculpted details easier to see.

Sorta like how stage makeup and costumes look garish and bad up close but look correct when viewed from long distances under bright lights.

That same documentary was describing how the Chinese tomb terracotta soldiers were all painted with crazy expensive lacquer.
In present day, it peels up and falls off within a few minutes of being exposed to open air after excavation.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I believe the analysis we use to recreate painted statues can only show the bottom layer of color, so we shouldn't assume they painted everything flat. There are definitely classical examples of painting that's just as masterful as the renaissance

Wonder how expensive it used to be to paint in ancient times to get some really vivid colors; I know purple and blue were probably the most expensive colors to make.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Serious question: I read about theory/hypothesis that's as follows: ancient humans tried to understand animals on more than an instinctive level - they tried to understand what the animals were thinking.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
On the WWI topic, and paraphrasing since it's from a documentary I saw.

As an artillery guy, I loved the bit in the doco where they quoted some British general from early in WWI complaining "is there some sort of Freemasonry between the British and German artillery, some friendly conspiracy? They'll shell the hell out of the opposite side's infantry all day long, and never a shot at each other!"

This makes sense for a couple reasons, first being that fire direction was relatively new, artillery was only a generation or two away from "visibly look down the top of your barrel at what you're shooting at" to being able to shoot at targets well outside of visual range through use of observers or detailed maps. WWI was where they started to do echolocation to triangulate enemy artillery (a primitive version of what we'd now call anti-battery radar), and having much better forward observation with frontline observers telegraphing or semaphoring back changes, from the ground or from planes or balloons. But especially at the early stage it'd take a lot of luck and blind firing, which brings us to the other key point:

Shelling enemy grunts in the distance is great because they can't immediately threaten you. If by dint of balloon observers or scouts telegraphing back map grid coordinates you start trying to feel out the enemy artillery, you just gave them a huge reason to fire back at *your* artillery, and it turns into one very non-fun game of You Sunk My Battleship with guys throwing hundreds of pounds of steel and high explosive at people they can't see.

So instead it was just way easier and safer to hammer on the grunts, with kind of an unspoken understanding that nobody wanted to start battery-on-battery poo poo, though as I understand that started going away as it got easier and easier to properly zero in on enemy positions.

I recall clearly in the 2003 Iraq invasion, counter-battery fire was one of the biggest worries the artillery guys had since the Iraqis had these fine Austrian howitzers that slightly outranged ours. Not that it ended up mattering much since we either pulverized those from the air or called their Iraqi commander's cell-phone and talked him into sending everyone home on leave that week and just lay low until this all blows over. In retrospect, "battery defense", protecting the battery from ground attacks, given all the irregular units that started running around, should've been a much bigger worry.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Wonder how expensive it used to be to paint in ancient times to get some really vivid colors; I know purple and blue were probably the most expensive colors to make.

I learned reading Bill Bryson's excellent At Home: A Short History of Private Life that good black paint wasn't available until the late industrial age. All those period pictures with Victorians walking around in front of black-painted iron railings? All wrong! Might as well have cavemen riding dinosaurs in the background.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I learned reading Bill Bryson's excellent At Home: A Short History of Private Life that good black paint wasn't available until the late industrial age. All those period pictures with Victorians walking around in front of black-painted iron railings? All wrong! Might as well have cavemen riding dinosaurs in the background.
Wouldn't they be naturally black wrought iron?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cumslut1895 posted:

Wouldn't they be naturally black wrought iron?

I think unpainted wrought iron is more of a graphite gray.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Gato posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of John Ruskin, the enormously influential 19th-century British art critic. His marriage was annulled because of non-consummation, and the rumour went round that he'd spent so much time looking at Classical depictions of the female form he wasn't prepared for the existence of pubic hair. He definitely had some odd complex where his wife (and possibly women in general) were concerned, but there's no direct evidence for the pubes thing, and the fact that she was having a fairly public affair with the painter John Millais probably didn't help.

I've heard this story about Ruskin too. I was also taught that Classical female statues didn't have pubes specifically because Praxiteles sculpted a Venus without them and everyone loved it so much that other sculptors imitated him, but I can't remember if that's true or not. This Venus was apparently so attractive that one young man tried to have sex with it.

Decrepus posted:

Yes people do. Check out David, and that's in marble, much harder to sculpt than most Classical statues.

HEY GAL posted:

odysseus lied all the time

IIRC Jaynes thinks things changed for Homer between the Iliad and the Odyssey but that seems obviously drivel even if the theory as a whole is a cool science fiction idea.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Than what the heck was Caravaggio painting with in the 17th century?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

Than what the heck was Caravaggio painting with in the 17th century?

Custom pigments he almost certainly mixed himself, which has nothing to do with the commercial paint I was talking about