Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

bobkatt013 posted:

What if thats the whole film like Burden of Dreams?

Herzog has a good commentary for Burden of Dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bobkatt013 posted:

What if thats the whole film like Burden of Dreams?

Wouldn't apply because that's all stuff I care about.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I got a replacement Trilogia di Guillermo Del Toro set from Amazon and it's also missing Cronos just like the last one lol. I think something went wrong during packaging of the new batch or something (it came in the plastic wrap packaging, so I doubt it was tampered with). Gonna send it back, get a refund and just buy it at a store I guess (and open it in the store after buying, to make sure all films are in there!). Rather annoying though. First time I've ever had issues buying something online.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Guess you're just not allowed to see it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zogo posted:

I like before/after restoration clips showing how they restored a film from tatters into something that looks pristine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AMSHs2adWk

That is stunning

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DuhSal posted:

I got a replacement Trilogia di Guillermo Del Toro set from Amazon and it's also missing Cronos just like the last one lol. I think something went wrong during packaging of the new batch or something (it came in the plastic wrap packaging, so I doubt it was tampered with). Gonna send it back, get a refund and just buy it at a store I guess (and open it in the store after buying, to make sure all films are in there!). Rather annoying though. First time I've ever had issues buying something online.

maybe you're at the first stage of an elaborate, Willy Wonka style Criterion ARG

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

blue squares posted:

maybe you're at the first stage of an elaborate, Willy Wonka style Criterion ARG
Instead of the Chocolate Factory you go into the Criterion Closet.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I went to my local record store and found a poo poo ton of used blu ray criterions, many of them under $20. I got:
A Brief History of Time
M
La Haime
For All Mankind

All for under $20 each

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
For All Mankind is a great film, it's on my list to get during this sale. I've only seen the 1999 DVD pressing, but even that looked gorgeous.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The soundtrack is one of Brian Eno's defining works as a composer, but I was somehow unaware of the film until recently. I'll likely pick it up during the November sale.

Also, that reminds me—Heart of a Dog is one of the upcoming releases. I'm a huge fan of both dogs and Laurie Anderson, so that's going to be a definite buy for me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rollersnake posted:

Also, that reminds me—Heart of a Dog is one of the upcoming releases. I'm a huge fan of both dogs and Laurie Anderson, so that's going to be a definite buy for me.

I'm tempted to buy it because I have everything else of hers, but I already listened to the album release and as good as it was (extremely good) all the reviews for the movie basically say "it's a great album with some okay visual distractions".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a good movie but it's not really about dogs.

It has more to do with the life in post-9/11 America to be honest, and Laurie's childhood.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

For All Mankind is a great film, it's on my list to get during this sale. I've only seen the 1999 DVD pressing, but even that looked gorgeous.

For All Mankind was my first Criterion and I went in completely blind. Absolutely wonderful experience. The supplements on that disc are also great.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Raxivace posted:

It's a good movie but it's not really about dogs.

It has more to do with the life in post-9/11 America to be honest, and Laurie's childhood.

Oh, I know it's not anything as simplistic as how I stated it. It's just one of those films where the most superficial details were enough to convince me I have to see it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh okay. I've just seen more than a few people walk into that one and get upset it wasn't something conventional about doggies.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
On the topic of special features, pretty much Coup de Torchon wins this imo. The included alternate ending is so loving odd, especially compared to the film style and themes.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
In the spirit of Halloween, what is everyone's favorite scary criterion? I personally like DePalma's Sisters.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hands down, it's Diabolique. Even from the start, you have that Herrmann-esque music, then this creepy boy's choir kicks in. And that mind-gently caress of an ending.

Bigger Than Life and The Night of the Hunter are good monster movies, too.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Oh man, Diabolique is great. Great music too, but iirc there was only mysic during the titles and not the film...?

I thought Bigger than Life was James Mason addicted to pills

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In the spirit of Halloween, what is everyone's favorite scary criterion? I personally like DePalma's Sisters.

I haven't seen many but my mind was blown by Island Of Lost Souls. It holds up so well for being 80+ years old.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Oh man, Diabolique is great. Great music too, but iirc there was only mysic during the titles and not the film...?

I thought Bigger than Life was James Mason addicted to pills

I think there's only music in the opening and closing, but it's drat creepy.

Bigger Than Life is secretly a monster movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Bigger Than Life is basically The Shining.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Repulsion, hands down.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

As far as atmospheric horror goes I was very impressed by The Innocents.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Probably Godzilla or House.

Cat People is super good too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's a toss-up between Jigoku and Carnival of Souls.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I could not get into Eyes Without a Face at all. It did nothing for me, which bummed me because I wanted to like it.

Fiend Without a Face, however, is great and I highly recommend it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cacator posted:

As far as atmospheric horror goes I was very impressed by The Innocents.
Yeah this one is great, I love just about everything about it though I'm very lukewarm on the ending.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I've trimmed down my always growing wishlist to try and keep to Safety Last, Pan's Labyrinth and Punch-Drunk Love this sale. Gotta cut a few out because there's no way I'm going for anything but the best shipping option after orders taking upwards of eight weeks to Australia last time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Tree of Life confirmed for next year per CriterionForum. It'll have the theatrical and a new extended cut.

https://m.facebook.com/OneBigSoul.TheTerrenceMalickCommunity/posts/879123302188094?__mref=message_bubble

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

The Tree of Life confirmed for next year per CriterionForum. It'll have the theatrical and a new extended cut.

https://m.facebook.com/OneBigSoul.TheTerrenceMalickCommunity/posts/879123302188094?__mref=message_bubble
Maybe Sean Penn will be more than a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo this time. :p

For real though that's really interesting.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Very spooky news

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Finally, Dinesh D'Souza's Hillary's America gets a Criterion!

:sniff:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hewlett posted:

A perfect complement with D. A. Pennebacker's War Room

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Cries and Whispers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiUJ2b8pjc8

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Don't Look Now is pretty horrifying imo even though my gf thought the opposite.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hewlett posted:

I'll eat my underpants if they ever release a D'Souza garbage pile.

(It's obviously Woman of the Year, which is the first Spencer Tracy-Katharine Hepburn film, though I believe Alexander Payne's Election has also been rumored)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

My first instinct is to pick House , but I loving love Equinox. My 9yo daughter loves it too, think we first watched it when she was like 6 or 7 and it was wonderful. Same with Carnival of Souls, but it's nowhere as fun.

I was excited for Cat People, and bought it during the last sale but Curse of The Demon would have been a first day buy. Hopefully they will do more of Tournear's films.

Looking at their catalog Haxan, White Dog and Vampyr really need a BR upgrade

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What's that Japanese film that's supposed to have all the depictions of hell in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What's that Japanese film that's supposed to have all the depictions of hell in it?

Jingoku?

Anyway, I wanted to mention Alice, Sweet Alice, but it turns out that's not in the Criterion collection. Huh.

Also, is anybody in the know enough to tell me why Possession (1981) hasn't had anything of a decent mass release?