Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH JEEP posted:

i have no maps no cash no internet

but i am on a mission from god, i have 3\4 a tank of gas, its dark and im wearing glasses. hit it.

14 INCH JEEP posted:

i have failed at literally everything else in my life till now. i am getting that truck to florida for sims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Don't do it for sims, do it for dave

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
like, as much as there's the blatant warning signs that he should turn back immediately...

14 looks like he's actually living in this pic, and not like the barely-animate husk being controlled by despair and multiple dead cars we've been seeing in his selfies of late. He looks like he has a purpose.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

Where's our "I got the cash!" post, followed by a PP address?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
To be honest, I"m wondering what small-town midwest police would think if they pulled him over.

Janky-rear end Jeep with out-of-state plates: check

Trunk full of tools and living essentials, unusual emphasis on socks: check

Orange camo jacket: check

Big glasses: check

Manson shirt: check

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fermented Tinal posted:

To be honest, I"m wondering what small-town midwest police would think if they pulled him over.

"Seattle, or Portland".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought Jeeps were supposed to be reliable and could run on one cylinder if it had to?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You Am I posted:

I thought Jeeps were supposed to be reliable and could run on one cylinder if it had to?

That requires that you fill the holes with dirt (or blood), and let it coagulate. It's been mostly a day, and only 80% humid- there may still be a way.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

Where's our "I got the cash!" post, followed by a PP address?
Well I would like for someone else to confirm from him, that he got my money, but my PP is username at the Google mail service. If y'all send me more than, or even close to what I sent, I will send the excess along to him.

I sent $200 with a $9.50 service charge tacked on. The last text I received from him at 6:17 est after I told him it should be available to pick up:

14 INCH JEEP posted:

yes departing spokane

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 INCH MEEP posted:

left wa

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Just got an update.

He's in Montana.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
If angryrobots or whoever has a paypal address for me to send some cash to, please let me know. I'm probably of the opinion he should turn around but I guess there's nothing that is going to change his mind at this point.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

At the moment I clicked post, this came through.

14 INCH JEEP posted:

you will die when i give you permission to die . and it will not be a peaceful death

slothrop posted:

If angryrobots or whoever has a paypal address for me to send some cash to, please let me know. I'm probably of the opinion he should turn around but I guess there's nothing that is going to change his mind at this point.

It's my username at the Google mail service.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

It's my username at the Google mail service.

Ok flicked $75 through, might take a couple of days because ~international money is so hard~

14", please don't freeze to death in a field, that would be very very unworthy.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 1, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:suspense:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You've sent $40.00 to angryrobots at the googz!

Wish I could afford more, but other than my 2 SAMart sales, all I have is a $500 debt for two coils and a used ECU, and tomorrow is NEXT MONTH BILLS! :toot:

Will he make it? :iiam: :toot:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slothrop posted:

Ok flicked $75 through, might take a couple of days because ~international money is so hard~

Received, along with a couple more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I get paid tomorrow, after I pay my rent I will send some cash.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
OK what would his plan be if not forinternet strangers? Did he just set off with what he had in his pockets and a sense of optimism?

Also I wish he was here to answer but did he used to live in NC to anyones knowledge? He looks like an aquaintance of mine that I always suspected was going to snap, maybe he finally did.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

As Nero Danced posted:

OK what would his plan be if not for internet strangers? Did he just set off with what he had in his pockets and a sense of optimism?

I did pretty much that- but I sold off parts of my computer to pay for gas to move to California to become part of DOTCOM HISTORY. It was significantly less, but it was also over a decade ago. You gotta respect the guy for giving in and going with his gut instinct to flee.

As if not coincidental, as I was getting ready to click "Submit", a Firestone commercial about their ASE mechanics came on my Sling stream. :o

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I sent a couple bucks which should only go towards more Lucas Oil stabilizer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The fact that viggen is in CA is far scarier to me than whatever 14" is doing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sent a little to angry robots let us know when he picks up funds so he may continue

Fourstar
Oct 18, 2012

Quoting this because holy poo poo, I drive MT through WY semi-regularly and distance with no services for 75-100 miles at a time is equal to the distance that left 14" sleeping in a parking lot for 2 days.

On a scale of bad to plans, this is straight plans.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

As Nero Danced posted:

Also I wish he was here to answer but did he used to live in NC to anyones knowledge? He looks like an aquaintance of mine that I always suspected was going to snap, maybe he finally did.

He grew up in CA, as far as I know (his dad lives here, and when he started posting on SA he still lived here) and then he moved up to WA when he was menaced by an ex a few years ago. So, I don't think so?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

Sent a little to angry robots let us know when he picks up funds so he may continue
He picked up the money I sent ($200) at ~6pm eastern time, from what he told me. Afaik, he is currently traveling and has been for a few hours.

I have received money from Liam, Shawn, Arthur, and The Laptop Dudes which totals $185 of the $209.50. As far as I'm concerned, I'm refunded more than necessary.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

As Nero Danced posted:

OK what would his plan be if not forinternet strangers? Did he just set off with what he had in his pockets and a sense of optimism?

His phone was stolen out of the jeep, its not unreasonable to think money/cards would have been stolen too.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

angryrobots posted:

He picked up the money I sent ($200) at ~6pm eastern time, from what he told me. Afaik, he is currently traveling and has been for a few hours.

I have received money from Liam, Shawn, Arthur, and The Laptop Dudes which totals $185 of the $209.50. As far as I'm concerned, I'm refunded more than necessary.

I already sent more, whoops. Should have read to the bottom first. Hang onto it for a bit, maybe sending more will be required...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yup, if he doesn't need it I'll send it right back to ya.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dave is currently in Missoula, Montana. The jeep is still running well; gas mileage much improved.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

He doesn't want to stay in Deer Lodge. It'll probably be slightly cheaper outside of Butte. Bozeman will cost too drat much since it is basically a college+B&B now.. The Bozeman restroom is loving awesome, though- free WiFi, heated, and basically all you need to survive after 4 days of driving through hell.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

West SAAB Story posted:

He doesn't want to stay in Deer Lodge. It'll probably be slightly cheaper outside of Butte.

Yeah, the prison being there jacks up motel prices.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, the prison being there jacks up motel prices.

That wasn't a semicolon.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Maybe he can resurrect the truck and drive it down to my area with the fastback in the back, and towing the Jeep? I can find him a studio apartment here in TN for like $300

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

everdave posted:

Maybe he can resurrect the truck and drive it down to my area with the fastback in the back, and towing the Jeep? I can find him a studio apartment here in TN for like $300

If he manages to limp that bitch to Billings, it'll be a good dayweek. He does NOT want to try to take that south with the current weather patterns and the inability to trust his vehicle. Anything in Billings costs a fortune, though, so... gently caress.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I've been pulling the weather forecasts for the rest of his trip to Valentine and to be honest it doesn't look that bad. If he's beyond Missoula as was posted a number of hours ago pulling the long haul should put him there in the morning (hopefully). Ride shiny and chrome, Dave!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I've known several people in the headspace I think our favorite madman is in, and hell I've been there a few times myself.

This trip has precisely dick to do with the truck.

It has everything to do with the pathological urge to persist when every force, known and unknown, that man beast or god can bring to bear against you is telling you to stop. Whether it's correct or not, whether it makes sense or not, Dave has his identity tied up in the idea of Making This Voyage. It's not about stubbornness, it's not about running away from his problems, it's about deciding that this time, the bastards aren't going to stop him. If the vehicle breaks down, he'll walk. If his feet fall off, he'll crawl. If he turns back, then even though you, me, and everyone he knows will tell him it was the right decision, and he will probably agree with us, he will see himself as a failure and it'll be a long time before he puts much effort into bettering his life.

This has never been a trip about fixing a truck. It's always been a trip about fixing his life, and if he's got the will to do it. The fact that that will is enabled by outside sources really isn't relevant, since ultimately it's not us staring at a thousand miles of bad road and strapping in.

And no it doesn't make any loving sense and it's dumb as hell by any rational definition. But long dark nights of the soul don't tend toward reason.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

West SAAB Story posted:

That wasn't a semicolon.

Huh? I was agreeing with you.

Panaflex posted:

I've been pulling the weather forecasts for the rest of his trip to Valentine and to be honest it doesn't look that bad. If he's beyond Missoula as was posted a number of hours ago pulling the long haul should put him there in the morning (hopefully). Ride shiny and chrome, Dave!

Yeah, I checked Homestake earlier today and it was dry. If anything kills the Jeep, it'll be that. But I guess it made it over both Lookout and Fourth of July okay so :shrug:. I honestly think if he makes it over the divide, he'll make it the whole way.

edit:

PopeCrunch posted:

This has never been a trip about fixing a truck. It's always been a trip about fixing his life, and if he's got the will to do it. The fact that that will is enabled by outside sources really isn't relevant, since ultimately it's not us staring at a thousand miles of bad road and strapping in.

The therapeutic nature of a thousand miles of road stretching out ahead of you and saying, "yeah, let's do this" cannot be overstated.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 1, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
God speed 14". May the road ahead be smooth and littered with lucas oil stabilizer bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I buy it from Amazon by the literal gallon. The oil in my bus is literally 50% oil stop leak.

Do the parts shops sell it in that size?

• Locked thread