Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

In theory, but there were too many shots of the Aliens just standing there doing nothing or slowly wandering somewhere to completely handwave the differences.

It wasn't as bad as how ridiculous the first movie's Predators were, but it really did come off quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darko posted:

Requiem goes in the opposite direction, though, and makes the stealthy, silent xenos hunt like zombies.

Even the zerg rushes in Aliens (rush in the regular edition) were a strategic move to overwhelm, ordered by the Queen. Everything else was still stealth.

If you like predators, watch Requiem and never watch AvP, If you like aliens just watch AvP.

One could say because there was no queen or some bullshit, aliens weren't as good but they never explain how all that works.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
A couple pics of some creatures from Covenant... obviously :krakken: SPOILERS:

http://www.soisitanygood.com/exclusive-new-alien-covenant-images-give-us-glimpse-new-xenomorphs/

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Getting so hype for this. That proto-face-hugger thing is really on the nose, even for the Alien franchise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting strong Alien: Resurrection vibes. I don't like this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He certainly can't make a movie worse than Prometheus.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

What was wrong with Prometheus?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

But the failed clones were one of the better parts of that movie.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
These new designs don't look like something out of Alien, but they do look like something out of Resident Evil.
At least Promethean had good visuals, this one won't even have that, it seems.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

I have a lot of faith in Ridley Scott, but those are high expectations. I'd be happy if it was as good as Alien III or even just Aliens.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Have the aliens dance around in a circle and attack one at a time like ninjas

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Designs look way too early to tell, like how the Alien costume in Alien 3 looks pretty cool but looks like a total joke in production photos. But I like the one with the half human jaw and human teeth on it. The other one that's cause the most contention could be amazing looking depending on how the lighting/etc. is in the movie. It's not really possible to say that its sort of translucent exoskeleton is inherently good or bad looking at this point. The *************facehugger*********************************** looks great though. Not really seeing any issue there as it just looks like a slightly bigger and slightly more detailed version of some stuff that's already been seen a bit in the movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm getting Alien Resurrection failed Ripley clone vibes from a lot of those creatures, and not in a particularly bad way. I'm interested to see how that stuff gets handled on-screen.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to judge those too harshly since you aren't seeing the final product with lighting, additional practical effects, CGI, motion, or any editing. It's a good foundation IMO.

Edit: Did anyone else immediately think of Cordyceps fungi when Fassbender was describing the Neomorphs? I wonder if there will be additional parallels.

wuffles fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 29, 2016

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Xenomrph posted:

I'm getting Alien Resurrection failed Ripley clone vibes from a lot of those creatures, and not in a particularly bad way. I'm interested to see how that stuff gets handled on-screen.

Even if you don't like the rest of Resurrection, that is a creepy scene

I like these designs and have faith in how they will play out in the movie based on Ridleys work in both Alien and Prometheus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those aliens look creepy as gently caress. I kinda dig it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
That facehugger is straight up a woman's vagina and rear end with spider legs. I don't think they're half-assing it. Oh god that's a pun.

I like the deformed looking xenomorphs.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's a shame they have not completely abandoned the Prometheus aero helmet xeno design. I'm sure people think it looks cool, but it's looks more like something out of Splice or Galaxy Quest than the Giger stuff we've come to love. Too smooth and CG.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 29, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But it wasn't CGI though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really really excited about new gross creepy xenomorph types. Bring back the creepy the alien franchise plz.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I bought the boxset and rewatched 1, 2 and 3 and started 4 for the first time, knowing it was bad. When Winona Ryder tried to drink from a cup wearing boxing gloves I said "gently caress off" and turned off the DVD. Overreaction?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I"d say it was justified

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I must've mentally blocked that scene. Is that the same where they discover she's an android?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
No, the boxing gloves thing must be toward the beginning. I barely remember it either. I think the android reveal is after That Ladder Scene That The Movie Thinks Is Really Cool But Isn't.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

She was faking being drunk with the boxing gloves and dropping the drink so she could go off and sabotage the alien development. Nothing was really wrong with that scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

She was faking being drunk with the boxing gloves and dropping the drink so she could go off and sabotage the alien development. Nothing was really wrong with that scene.

Yea he purposely pisses off Perlman so that he'll kick her out of the room. Then when she steps outside she's perfectly sober because she's an android. Worked fine to me.

The ladder/underwater scene is good too. The movie has a bunch of good stuff in it, but its just not presented in a streamlined package that makes for an entertaining movie. Or maybe it was too streamlined, I dunno. It doesn't flow well, for whatever reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I always say, it doesn't flow because you have three competing and different visions (Weaver, Jeunet, Whedon) with equal impact on the movie that create a weird mess of a movie. Each scene in a bubble is fine, but the whole is weird. Which still makes it interesting to watch.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Darko posted:

Nothing was really wrong with that scene.

Maybe not but I was already sick of 25min of sas-talking uber-cool eccentrics hanging out together. It was the final straw. gently caress kooky in my alien movie, Joss.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's two flavors of kookiness in Resurrection, the Jeunet type and the Whedon type. You have the fast talking quipsters of the merc crew, they feel like Firefly characters, but then you have several of the people in the facility who feel more like they belong in something like City of Lost Children. The Dourif character, the creepy head of the program that disgustingly slurps space noodles, they are surrealistically bizarre in a very Jeunet way. The problem is they clash and combine to create an overload that makes the movie tough to ever take seriously.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know what's happened to me but I've absolutely had it with "cool quips" the weadon-esq dialoge. I have absolutely no tolerance for it. No one talks like that, it doesn't make the characters seem cool, it feels like the writer is desperately trying to force coolness or comradery through horribly contrived dialog because they have no idea how to write an actual cool interesting group of people .

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Maybe not but I was already sick of 25min of sas-talking uber-cool eccentrics hanging out together. It was the final straw. gently caress kooky in my alien movie, Joss.

Just finish the movie

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know what's happened to me but I've absolutely had it with "cool quips" the weadon-esq dialoge. I have absolutely no tolerance for it. No one talks like that, it doesn't make the characters seem cool, it feels like the writer is desperately trying to force coolness or comradery through horribly contrived dialog because they have no idea how to write an actual cool interesting group of people .

I hope for your sake you never watch anything by Aaron Sorkin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would love an Aaron Sorkin Weyland Yutaini film. I love quips. I mainline them every night into my nips.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Looks like the website took down the pictures, did anybody save them, or know where else they might have been posted?

Edit: Nevermind, found them here... Unless there was more than what's shown here.

Edit 2: WTF that one model looks exactly like one of the failed clones from alien: resurrection. The other dead alien hybrid fetus things look like the offspring of a mangy hobbit and E.T.

To me, it just doesn't look like "Alien" - there's even less of the biomechanical element in these designs than there were in resurrection. The facehugger looks like one of those silicone fuckdoll things that's just a pelvis. And why does it need two face vaginas? It looks made to only hold one face at a time. What could it possibly do with the secondary, anterior face vagina?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 1, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hate the white alien from Resurrection, movie wasn't too bad in till it shows up for the rest of the movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alien Resurrection is what you get when you cross Weavers horrible ideas(that Cameron rightly rejected) with Weadons proto Han Solo fanfic and whatever drugs Jeunet was currently taking.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

I hate the white alien from Resurrection, movie wasn't too bad in till it shows up for the rest of the movie.
I appreciate the Newborn for the technical achievement that it is. It's a really, really intricate and expressive puppet that's impressively utilized in the movie, even if the concept of "the Newborn" turned some people off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i like how it had a penis vagina that had to be digitally removed.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Just finish the movie

Why do you hate me? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Cool so Prometheus was a remake of AvP and Covenant will be a remake of Resurrection.

Resurrection is better than Alien 3. After Alien, Prometheus and Aliens respectively, it's the fourth best film on the series.