Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The weirdest thing with the Star Wars prequels is why anyone who saw the first one bothered with the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think you could cobble together a single decent movie out the prequels if someone wanted to do the editing. The pod racing scene while really dumb was still cool to watch. The opening giant gently caress off space battle to episode 3 was really fun too. Instead of trying to cram as much of that in as possible we had to sit through loving trade regulation hearings, like galactic C-SPAN.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

The weirdest thing with the Star Wars prequels is why anyone who saw the first one bothered with the other two.

Because Star Wars isn't a film to a lot of people, it's a God drat way of life.

Nuebot posted:

It might not have been a movie though. I have a friend who I literally can not talk about Knights of the Old Republic II with. Because I thought it was kind of dumb and goofy and he gets super pissed off that I "Just don't get it" because it's "Actually really deep and morally grey". Or maybe she threw that one book where han solo fucks a space weasel at her boyfriend and when he didn't understand, she dumped him and went to dwell over her space weasel costume once more knowing that one day, she would find the right one.

EDIT: How many suns does tatooine have?

quote:

Me [26m] and my girlfriend of 3 years [25f] became the biggest Star Wars fan apparantly in the past months...
Ok so I've been dating my GF for 3 years, known her for a year before that. We live together for 2 years.

We have never. Not once. Period. Talked about Star Wars. I like it, but I'm not a super fan, so I never brought it up to watch or whatever. She's never once talked about it, like EVER. We've known each other for over 4 years!!

So as soon as the new movie is announced, out of the blue she's a massive Star Wars fan. Apparantly she's loved them her whole life. She came home one day with a really sweet death star tattoo on her thigh. She is now buying all kinds of Star Wars merchandise and stuff.

Here's my issue. First, I think it's wrong to test people's "fandom". I hate saying I'm a fan of say, Star Trek, and having Trekkies quiz me on characters and stuff and if I don't know, I'm not a true fan.

But my girlfriend doesn't know poo poo about Star Wars. I mean, not a drat thing. I asked her how many suns Tattooine had. I asked her WHAT AN EWOK WAS. I mean, I'm not talking about little bits of trivia here, I asked her some basic rear end questions, think of the most basic Star Wars questions and I asked them.

And she knew the answer to nothing.

The issue is that she won't stop talking about Star Wars all the time now, and I don't get it because I don't want to judge her "fan" status like the Trekkie example, but come on, if you're a big fan of something you should at least know anything about it, right?

It'd be like if I kept telling all my friends how much I was into Clint Eastwood movies, how much he meant to me and my childhood and stuff, but I couldn't name a single movie yet I get teary eyed when a new one is announced. It's not that its WRONG to be a bad fan, but it's just really confusing to those around you.

Recently a game trailer for a remake of Final Fantasy 7 came out. I played this game 20 times over the years and it's my favorite game of all time. She saw how excited I got watching the trailer. Queue the new Star Wars trailer coming out and she was imitating me down to a T. Trembling and saying how she felt like she was going to cry she was so excited.

Do I just keep the eye rolls to myself and let it go?

tl;dr know GF for years and years, never once mentioned star wars, suddenly new movie announced and she's biggest fan ever lived, comes home with star wars tattoo, knows NOTHING about star wars, I'm not even sure if she's actually seen them before. Is her fandom valid or should I let my eye rolls, while she talks about how much the series means to her without even being able to tell me who Luke's father is, spill forth from my skull and roll across the ground?

Kill all nerds.

One of the most educated people I know told me he was against cloning and stem cell research because "what if someone used cloning to make an army?".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That dude needs to learn the laws of thermodynamics. You couldnt feed/supply an army without leaving a trace and the Cia droning you to oblivion.

I even have a star wars tattoo but dont hate the prequels, just get disappointed by the wasted potential.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

Probably to see if the other two could be as awful as the first one

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Because Star Wars isn't a film to a lot of people, it's a God drat way of life.

Kill all nerds.

One of the most educated people I know told me he was against cloning and stem cell research because "what if someone used cloning to make an army?".

I know a self-described sci-fi nerd who loves all things star wars and trek and he thought the snow speeders from ep. 5 were a-wings.

I laughed at him good for a few minutes, gave him a link to the a-wing and moved on with my life.

Everybody has blind spots.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

There's exactly one good star wars movie.

There's tens of hours more quality trek, and I don't even like that all that much.

There are also hundreds of hours of lovely star trek.

You take the good with the bad when you're a fan of a massive franchise IP.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The prequels are good. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

got any sevens posted:

That dude needs to learn the laws of thermodynamics. You couldnt feed/supply an army without leaving a trace and the Cia droning you to oblivion.

I even have a star wars tattoo but dont hate the prequels, just get disappointed by the wasted potential.

Also that it is way easier and more cost effective to just pay normal people who are already here instead of loving cloning human beings? :confused:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Zoran posted:

I ended up watching Episode 2 this weekend and no.

No they aren't.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Remember last year when they put the Episode VII trailer on MNF and the gameday thread moved to the Star Wars thread? That was a fun night.

"does halftime happen when the teams meet a certain points threshold?"
:allears:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Zoran posted:

Go back to CineD where trash opinions like this can live in their bubbles of dumb

The only good thing to come out of the Prequels was memes, RedLettermedia and Episode 1 Racer for the N64

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

RedLettermedia

:hfive:
Those reviews are so much fun. I might re-watch now.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I love them a lot, but I wish he was a little harsher on the new movie

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 1, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Febreeze posted:

Go back to CineD where trash opinions like this can live in their bubbles of dumb

The only good thing to come out of the Prequels was memes, RedLettermedia and Episode 1 Racer for the N64

Duel of the Fates was pretty boss too. And technically Kiera Knightly.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I love them a lot, but I wish he was a little harsher on the new movie

This review was really lacking and spent too much time on the dumb fan theories but at the same time he was basically ripping CineD type people apart so that was fun

I wish they had been meaner to TFA too because I like it less and less the more I think about it but in a lot of ways the problem with TFA is that it isn't technically a bad, interesting failure like the prequels but just an extremely bland, play it safe as gently caress fan fiction film and there just isn't much to say in the end.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'll defend my opinion, then. The prequels are clever and interesting movies dripping with irony. For example, the first one superficially looks like a fluffy children's tale, but at the end of the movie, the villain has gotten almost everything he ever wanted, and he celebrates by throwing himself a parade. The heroes are clever enough to win the day, but they aren't wise enough to realize what's really going on. And that's a consistent theme: the Jedi even find space Jesus, but in the end they don't actually give a poo poo about the suffering on lovely worlds like Tatooine—they just take the kid away to be brainwashed. Luke Skywalker recognizes and overcomes this failing of the old Jedi in ROTJ.

I do think there are good reasons to dislike the movies and that George Lucas is sort of a savant who's great at plotting and visual filmmaking but weak at screenwriting. The movies also specifically attack people's preconceptions about the Jedi Order and the Republic and Darth Vader, and people find that off-putting. But I don't want to get into all that in loving TFF, so I'll leave it there.

Pops Mgee posted:

Remember last year when they put the Episode VII trailer on MNF and the gameday thread moved to the Star Wars thread? That was a fun night.

"does halftime happen when the teams meet a certain points threshold?"
:allears:

God, that owned

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Zoran posted:

I'll defend my opinion, then. The prequels are clever and interesting movies dripping with irony. For example, the first one superficially looks like a fluffy children's tale, but at the end of the movie, the villain has gotten almost everything he ever wanted, and he celebrates by throwing himself a parade. The heroes are clever enough to win the day, but they aren't wise enough to realize what's really going on. And that's a consistent theme: the Jedi even find space Jesus, but in the end they don't actually give a poo poo about the suffering on lovely worlds like Tatooine—they just take the kid away to be brainwashed. Luke Skywalker recognizes and overcomes this failing of the old Jedi in ROTJ.

I do think there are good reasons to dislike the movies and that George Lucas is sort of a savant who's great at plotting and visual filmmaking but weak at screenwriting. The movies also specifically attack people's preconceptions about the Jedi Order and the Republic and Darth Vader, and people find that off-putting. But I don't want to get into all that in loving TFF, so I'll leave it there.

Congratulations! You might have convinced me to re-watch the prequels.

I still haven't watched The Force Awakens.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Episode 1 is fun matinee flick for a ten-year old in awe of Darth Maul and the kickass Naboo ships and the podracing and so on, so that you can forget you're watching acting so wooden it puts the redwoods to shame. The first ten minutes of Episode 3 are close to some of the best sequences in the entire Star Wars franchise.

The rest is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Basically, watching the prequels is the way to tell Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, etc. al are extremely good actors who can make extremely bad and exposition-heavy dialogue sound actually natural. They made me really appreciate how good Episode 4 is.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Any random scene from 4 - 7 has a 95% chance of being better than a scene from 1 - 3.

That 5% is the Ep 3 opening sequence or any of the super racist as poo poo Watto/Trade Federation scenes (unintentionally great from a "holy poo poo is that really a thing in this movie" angle).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I had to go back a few pages because I honestly forgot how this derail started.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Cool! Just keep in mind that it's a tragedy, and just about every heroic character and faction has a variety of flaws that come together in just the right way to gently caress everything up. Anakin's not the only one with issues, he's just the most obvious about it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I rewatched every Star Wars movie last year, and found that I enjoyed phantom menace more than I thought I would, and conversely hated revenge of the sith more than I thought I would. What a loving clunky movie. 4 5 6 1 7 3 2 though I might flip 1 and 7 depending on mood.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Ep 1 better than Ep 7 how does it feel to be objectively awful at life

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Episode 7 is stupid. Just rewatch episode 4.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zoran posted:

God, that owned

The OT left the organization of the jedi very vague, we were left to assume they were a few scattered guys around the universe, not the loving boy scouts of the capital planet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zoran posted:

go back to cinema discusso and please don't come back

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The kid that played Anakin Skywalker grew up to be literally insane

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chichevache posted:

I still haven't watched The Force Awakens.

I saw a fan theory video (standard fan theory video warning) on why the story was all there and it made a lot of sense and I would totally understand the disconnect being "George Lucas is really bad at screenwriting and directing."

Also you're not missing a whole lot with The Force Awakens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spoeank posted:

Ep 1 better than Ep 7 how does it feel to be objectively awful at life

JJ Abrams is like Aaron Sorkin to me, somebody I used to really dig, but they repeat themselves so much that the seams and crutches are readily visible in their writing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

howe_sam posted:

JJ Abrams is like Aaron Sorkin to me, somebody I used to really dig, but they repeat themselves so much that the seams and crutches are readily visible in their writing.

Episode I - The Phantom Menace though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

Episode I - The Phantom Menace though.

At least it was an original idea?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Jar Jar was a good character and I hope they bring him back

oh my god you loving nerds

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Jamie Collins gets sent away

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/jamie-collins-doesnt-like-dogs/

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Anakin ruined every scene he was in, the court scenes were unwatchably dull, most of the action sequences felt contrived and advanced little to nothing, and the characters all just bumbled around aimlessly while plot happened to them. The visual design was great, but if you get off that hard on visual design you should probably just watch anime.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The CG in the prequels have not held up well.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Child Anakin's actor suffered a terrible fate

he's now institutionalized :(

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The CG in the prequels have not held up well.

lmao the lack of shadow in conspicuous places

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
That must actually be drawn, I can't imagine how an algorithm would give one column that deep of a shadow and just forget it on the next. But yeah, the compositing is just awful.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

I love this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alaois posted:

go back to cinema discusso and please don't come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.