Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
My main wish for a change is that tank gunners could get a third person view. I really don't know why they don't. The light tank can get an outside view, the behemoth train guns get an outside view, the tank driver can get an outside view. But you climb into one of those 5 extra seats on the heavy tank and you're stuck looking though a tiny window hoping a target walks past. Sometimes I'll be the only gunner on a heavy as people get out to go and shoot mans rather than peeping through the lonely empty kill window. At least with a 3rd person view an undermanned tank could have the gunners looking for targets and swap to the right seat to help out. Right now, it's better to not bother being a heavy gunner unless you are in communication with the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think that's intentional so that Assault has some chance of blowing you up.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Bayonet charge is cool as hell but the animation radius for the victim is bull poo poo. I've had several attacks where I definitely had time to unload a shotgun blast or even two into the guys face but I get trapped in the get stabbed animation instead.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't have time for animations http://i.imgur.com/msSBzf9.gifv

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Are there any Assault guns that have decent accuracy beyond like 10 feet? Shotguns are obviously out and I feel like I haven't found an SMG that controls well yet.

Comedy edit: Yes I know that the AT rocket is a laser.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any Assault guns that have decent accuracy beyond like 10 feet? Shotguns are obviously out and I feel like I haven't found an SMG that controls well yet.

Comedy edit: Yes I know that the AT rocket is a laser.

M18 optical. You still wont be headshot sniping enemies from 50 yards away but its a death laser at close to mid range.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Bayonet charge is cool as hell but the animation radius for the victim is bull poo poo. I've had several attacks where I definitely had time to unload a shotgun blast or even two into the guys face but I get trapped in the get stabbed animation instead.

I've started the charge at an unsuspecting enemy only to have another enemy cut across my line of site by running perpendicular to my direction of travel.

Auto-aim then took my bayonet and made me change direction to go after the runner.

It definitely got me killed.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Last night i got bayonetted past 3 friendly soldiers in the bunker. Dude apparently just had my ticket and ghosted through my whole squad. Also the animation of "oh no don't stab me" starts from really far away like 15 feet so if they start close you just kinda die.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sex Prospector posted:

I would like for the sprint button to work in crouch mode. I've gotten into trouble a lot of times because I have to stand up first.

This, a thousand times. I have no idea why pressing sprint doesn't automatically make you stand up, like it does in every other game ever made.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have been having a lot of weird misses with the charge lately. Like, I have a guy lined up almost directly behind, and I skip by, and promptly get shot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RCarr posted:

This, a thousand times. I have no idea why pressing sprint doesn't automatically make you stand up, like it does in every other game ever made.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Had this happen when I attempted to bayonet a guy sitting in the AA gun. Just passed right through

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
Here's my short documentary of what goes on in a pubby bunker.

I had to use dailymotion for reasons.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4zzh4u_operation-bunker_videogames

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Sex Prospector posted:

I saw a dude bayonet charge through an incendiary grenade.

Screaming flaming soldier skewering a dude in the chest. It was pretty bad rear end.

I should have told you to capture that.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The problem with Assault is that as of right now you only spawn as assault to kill the vehicle that just took your flag. There is no reason to play and "roam" as Assault.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The assault guns aren't great and the assault vehicle explosives aren't effective enough to bother being one all the time.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Chemmy posted:

The assault guns aren't great and the assault vehicle explosives aren't effective enough to bother being one all the time.

They somehow managed to make Assault the worst class. In this Battlefield game. Assault, the class that usually acts as essentially the default. It's fairly remarkable.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think assault is pretty good? The anti-tank mines one shot any vehicle if you put 3 down and are hard to spot. Then you get dynamite as a backup.

As long as you aren't getting involved in long range gunfights it's perfectly fine.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

I think assault is pretty good? The anti-tank mines one shot any vehicle if you put 3 down and are hard to spot. Then you get dynamite as a backup.

As long as you aren't getting involved in long range gunfights it's perfectly fine.

With the death rate in this game (I feel like life expectancy is way shorter) you could just spawn as Assault, drop your mines, run, die, and spawn as medic or support.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I noticed a weird glitch when using the B.A.R., where after throwing a grenade, it wouldn't fire the first time I pressed the trigger.

I was heading out to the far capture point on the larger desert map when all of a sudden, the armored car I was driving vanished and I was on foot. It's also ridiculous that that capture point doesn't spawn some vehicles, like a buggy motorcycle or something. Of course that's a common enough aggravation on all the larger maps, but with zero loving cover for a five minute hustle across open desert...wtf.

Last night was the first time I saw you could close the portcullis' all over the place, around the "ballroom" blitz mansion. I guess I just never noticed those levers before.

I'm working on getting support up to ten and it's a slog.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Assault's gadgets are very effective against tanks, especially with pubbies being so inept at tanking.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
yo hook me up on ps4 battlegoons

im19buckhunter70

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The level 10 support gun isn't really worth it. It's a slower BAR with an extra six rounds. I think support is really the class that needs something to perk it up. Right now the mortar is about the only reason to run it.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

Fingers McGee posted:

I should have told you to capture that.

https://youtu.be/P3QVvrhFAYM

Edit:
Support has unlimited grenades and unlimited ammo and the very powerful and versatile BAR, probably the best automatic weapon in the game. I don't think it needs much more than that. Same goes for medic.

If anything, assault is at a huge disadvantage.

Medic has the autoloading 8, support has the BAR, and support has the M1903 experimental, all of which are competent close quarters and at range.

Assault has shotguns and SMGs that aren't that great even at midrange. I mean, it's got the Hellriegel, but that's unlocked at level 10, and assault doesn't have the luxury of spamming ammo and health for points.

chaymie fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 1, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I know auto-aim is basically essential for playing on consoles, but man is it annoying when I'm shooting a guy and then his buddy spawns on him and the autoaim drags my crosshair onto the second guy, so the guy I was shooting at kills me with like 5 health left. Only happened a couple times so far but geez.

Also Assault is a hell of a lot of fun on some maps, but on others it's very dependent on which objective you're gunning for. Like assault with the automatico or shotgun is great all over Amiens, but in Grappa you'd really only want it if you've doing a lot of fighting around B / D, and in Suez / Sinai it's good for clearing the village areas but absolute dogshit in the open patches. They really shine in TDM and the Pigeon mode where the maps are much smaller, but then you don't get to play with all the cool vehicles and stuff. Although the Pigeon rounds are actually really fun and tense if you get two well-matched teams.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I enjoyed playing assault while I was going for the vehicle ribbon. But I have this thing where if I see a vehicle, tank, truck, aircraft, whatever - I must destroy it. Even if I die a dozen times trying, a hundred shot mans doesn't compare to the satisfaction I get from wrecking some tank/air lord's ride.
The shotguns are pretty bad though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Has anyone not been able to see the end of game stats since the server problems on the weekend

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I enjoyed playing assault while I was going for the vehicle ribbon. But I have this thing where if I see a vehicle, tank, truck, aircraft, whatever - I must destroy it. Even if I die a dozen times trying, a hundred shot mans doesn't compare to the satisfaction I get from wrecking some tank/air lord's ride.
The shotguns are pretty bad though.

Have you tried the Model 10-A Hunter? It is ridiculously strong

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

actually, assault is quite good

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah the 10A pulls off one-shot kills from stupid ranges sometimes, and up close it's a murder machine. Though there is definitely something weird with the hitboxes for shotguns, sometimes you'll have an enemy completely covered by the reticule at close range and it won't hit them, or it will do a piddly 15 damage for no discernible reason. I've also had a few times where I was aiming at someone who was sprinting diagonally and the crosshair sorta jerked to the left or right of them when I went to shoot, which I'm guessing is another little aim assist quirk of some kind. Definitely more frustrating moments with shotguns than any other weapon type, where things that should have been 100% a kill just doesn't connect for some reason, but it's also the most fun weapon to use when you get in the groove. Just hanging out inside giant poison gas clouds and hip firing at every shape you see, or running around clearing rooms and blasting people coming around corners unaware.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally broke away from the flanker light tank to use the artillery truck. It's really good. Long range with a zoom, high damage against armor and infantry. Five rounds with a reasonable reload time. Quick repair ability. Good mobility means you can escape if anyone gets too close. Don't know who balanced the vehicles but seems like there's no reason to not use the arty truck or flanker tank (urban maps)

Though Flamethrower heavy is fun if you have party chat I will say

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LGD posted:

Have you tried the Model 10-A Hunter? It is ridiculously strong

Not yet, I haven't unlocked it yet. I will make it a priority though. Need to have a play around with sidearms too. I always liked running short range bullet hose or shotty as main and using my sidearm for long range pot-shotting on BF4 (magnum 44 in that case).

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Finally broke away from the flanker light tank to use the artillery truck. It's really good. Long range with a zoom, high damage against armor and infantry. Five rounds with a reasonable reload time. Quick repair ability. Good mobility means you can escape if anyone gets too close. Don't know who balanced the vehicles but seems like there's no reason to not use the arty truck or flanker tank (urban maps)

Try the anti aircraft loadout on Grappe. Corpses just rain from the sky.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
In BF4 shotguns had random pellet spread across the point of aim so even if you had the target dead center the majority of pellets could be to the left or right missing a one hit kill. Feels like the same thing here.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

I was owning dudes with the arty truck yesterday. I think I ran over three dudes in one line.

Plus a ton of other kills.

Stevey and I were murdering with tanks today.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Jumping on the rocket truck bandwagon. Something enjoyable about watching an enemy squad pile into a building a bit away from you and shooting a long range rocket to collapse the entire thing on them.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
https://youtu.be/4GT6CRJId5o

Tonight was not a good night for battlefield.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yoooo dismounted cavalry is alllllmost as good as mounted cavalry

Takin howitzers straight to the marty mcfly chest piece like it ain't no thang

Lever action cowboy action for the django moments

Endless potoatoato mashers for ze panzers

Cavalry saber even on foot just talks over anything your enemy could possibly have to say

it's so good

f l a m i n g b a y o n e t c h a r g e :allears:

Consoles need a upload-to-gif function already. The trenchwrist is real and killing me.

RCarr posted:

I am pretty sure it is a bug because sometimes it locks up and won't sprint from a crouch for me at all, other times I am sliding the gently caress around like a hockey goalie and it is great,

Gonna say it's pretttty annoying trying to figure out what poo poo is a bug and what was merely silent patched (e.g. no more selfhealing while mounted). Do they post balance changes anywhere??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
About to rank 3 medic. Any exceptional guns? The scope ones feel very constricted. I just want my bullets to go where I aim.