Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

How would that work?

Regardless, it wouldn’t be constitutional. Deliberation is a key part of the jury process that pre‐dates the U.S. itself.

Jurors could deliberate individually in isolation (separate rooms or however current juries are isolated from the general public), review the evidence and jury instructions and decide for themselves what the verdict should be. Presumably this would prevent some of the jury-related shenanigans in the Bundy trial, and prevent more persuasive jurors from having undue influence on the verdict. It seems like the main goal of jury deliberations is to encourage a unanimous verdict, with the implicit understanding that this will be done by jurors arguing (correctly or incorrectly, in good faith or not) with any holdouts until they give up and go with the majority. This seems counter to the spirt of the jury selection and instruction processes, which are designed to minimize potential bias and encourage jurors to decide on a verdict based on the evidence presented and arguments from the prosecutors and defense.

I'm not arguing individual juror deliberations would necessarily be better than the current system, just wondering if there was any reason why the jury MUST deliberate as a group. If it's constitutionally required then that's the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
100% hung juries sounds cool. And a lot of folks pay little attention during the trial and/or have memory issues

Have you been on a jury?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

At least they’re loving with the Army this time. :getin:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, protest the agency that plundered east coast tax dollars to fund enormous water projects that made life in the American west possible.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
oh nevermind, this is a Dakota Access solidarity thing.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KandraKPTV/status/793157054277890049

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

except these guys have a legitimate grievance that's not just GOVERNMENT GET OUT REEEEEEE

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everyone update their FB status and checkin at flat rock or whatever !

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CommunistPancake posted:

except these guys have a legitimate grievance

So you're saying the chance of these guys getting machine-gunned is that much higher? Finally this thread delivers. We've been blueballed ever since Cross Draw McGraw martyred himself.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CommunistPancake posted:

except these guys have a legitimate grievance that's not just GOVERNMENT GET OUT REEEEEEE

They also aren't all white, so I expect some careful, proportionate brutality to follow and get praised by all the right wing hacks out there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TotalLossBrain posted:

Cross Draw McGraw

:lol:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
jury nullification works!

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Geostomp posted:

They also aren't all white, so I expect some careful, proportionate brutality to follow and get praised by all the right wing hacks out there.
it's the perfect combination for some good old-fashioned police brutality: people without guns, who aren't all white, protesting against something of interest to some very rich people

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I hope they take back the pipeline

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CommunistPancake posted:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

fuckin a

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And like clockwork, the defense now wants all charges dropped against those still awaiting trial. I guess that's not entirely unreasonable given how that last verdict went.

Link to oregonlive

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fuckin' 5'd

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

And like clockwork, the defense now wants all charges dropped against those still awaiting trial. I guess that's not entirely unreasonable given how that last verdict went.

Link to oregonlive

quote:

Payne also didn't have full information about FBI informants at the refuge during the occupation when he entered his guilty plea, Hay said.

"I asked everyone if they were an undercover cop 3 times, so this is entrapment according to uhhhh the constitution"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Geostomp posted:

pretty much. they will get the hosed kicked out of them, meanwhile the armed white seditionists wont get hurt at all. :(

loving this.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You know i've seen all of those in the original SA thread that made them and they still get me every time :allears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Some of them were new to me.

Best all-saints day presents ever! (and only ones iirc)

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

VikingSkull posted:

being a descendant of John Brown, I certainly wish someone had used jury nullification in his case, but then I also remember that he was running people through with swords so I don't even know what the gently caress

sorry for my ignorance but who the goldang gently caress is joh n brown

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hes a moulderin'

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Semisponge posted:

A (barely) pre-Civil War era American Saint.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Semisponge posted:

Look him up, he's amazing. A truly radical man, who is hated to this day (by assholes).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
~same thing they will be saying about the bundies (Excpet for ted bundy, what an rear end in a top hat) in 100 years time~

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

~same thing they will be saying about the bundies (Excpet for ted bundy, what an rear end in a top hat) in 100 years time~

In some ways the Bundies are very similar to some of the founding fathers, in that they're rich terrorists who have conned a large portion of the underclass into supporting their land grab while getting nothing in return.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nah, they'll be regarded as idiots who overreached. You know they're not going to be content with this, and they're not getting a jury this credulous again.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They will, thankfully, be forgotten in 100 years.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
preserved as folk heros for all time
spooky tarp ghost wooowoowooowoooooouuouuu

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

do they have a good tune like john brown? no? well then

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Semisponge posted:

White man. Led a violent movement to free slaves. Wanted to be buried with them too. I'm just going off of textbook shut I remember whuthout having to wiki

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Tarpman lies a slumberin'
in his hero's grave,
through his noble actions
the Constitution he did save,
I've got those blues,
those Malheur Refuge blues.

Peztopiary has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Nov 1, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Did you ever stop to think that there are assholes from back in the day who don't get remembered. Some dude probably grabbed his musket thinking he could turn his CPS case into the whiskey rebellion and then got his rear end shot dead and we don't even know his name

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Did you ever stop to think that there are assholes from back in the day who don't get remembered. Some dude probably grabbed his musket thinking he could turn his CPS case into the whiskey rebellion and then got his rear end shot dead and we don't even know his name

Hell most of the country has never heard of the Mormon Wars and they actually were written down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Alan Smithee posted:

his name was mike