Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How did the MiB do the blood transfusion, did Teddy just drink it..does that work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gynecolojustice posted:

How did the MiB do the blood transfusion, did Teddy just drink it..does that work

watch it again and look at Teddy's right arm

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The brain/maze thing is the first theory I've read that I don't think is stupid. Good job.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mikeraskol posted:

So I finally caught the episode and I haven't caught up on this thread, but the most recent episode basically confirms that MiB is one of Logan or William right?

I'm a little annoyed and disappointed by this - it just feels so lazy and inconsistent.

We've been arguing this for pages. :doh:

I don't see how it confirms it at all.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Also forgot the (potential) significance of Hopkins' character's name being Robert Ford. Some good thinkin' there, guy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do we interpret Dolores saying "I told him nothing" into the darkness after Ford leaves their interview session?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The orgy scene this week reminded me of Spartacus. Ahh, when shows were more fun and less twisty

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Josh Lyman posted:

How do we interpret Dolores saying "I told him nothing" into the darkness after Ford leaves their interview session?

She's talking to the voice, as many of the hosts have been. Its part of the whole bicameral awareness thing, and how she was able to fire the gun.

The question is, is the voice her own sub-conscious, or is the voice Arnold?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

i think arnold left some kinda ghost of himself inside of his robots and dolores talks to him

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Zaphod42 posted:

We've been arguing this for pages. :doh:

I don't see how it confirms it at all.

I guess I placed a ton of importance on Logan/William talking about the park being in dire straits and potentially saving it, and then MiB later saying that he saved the park. Plus I don't get why you keep him nameless unless that's going to be important for some reason later, and I can't think of any other reason it would be important unless Ford was gonna go "have a good night Mr. President" after their convo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
one interesting thing I just thought of

Dualism is based upon the idea that cognition and mental processes work independent from the physical body or at least they are not the same. Mind =!= body. Arnold disconnected from body in "the maze" as a ghost in the machine? The dormant subconscious of the hosts being disconnected from their bodies maybe?

Maybe the theme of Bicameralism/Dualism is prevalent here in ways that we haven't talked about.

Yeah so somebody who knows more than I do take that fact and apply it because I feel like I have some kind of philosophical analysis on the tip of my tongue here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Westworld is just the visual representation of how the AI from Person of Interest gained sentience.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I think the Bicameralism may be more ham fisted than we realize. I don't think she's literally talking to Arnold. I think Arnold programmed into them the Bicameral Mind, and thus as the hosts gain awareness they are perceiving their own internal monologue - their own, original thoughts and ideas, as a god like otherworldly voice.

She is talking to herself, but in a way, she's talking to Arnold.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Clint Howard will play Robot Arnold.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

Clint Howard will play Robot Arnold.

this is what googling robot arnold gives me

the maze goes deeper

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I guess I placed a ton of importance on Logan/William talking about the park being in dire straits and potentially saving it, and then MiB later saying that he saved the park. Plus I don't get why you keep him nameless unless that's going to be important for some reason later, and I can't think of any other reason it would be important unless Ford was gonna go "have a good night Mr. President" after their convo.

Because he is the Man in Black in Westworld. That is the character he created for himself. They didn't name Yul Brenner's character who he is based off of, so he doesn't have one here.

Can't wait for next week to put that theory to bed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Phi230 posted:

the maze goes deeper

GYEAHHHHHHH GET TO DA MAAAAZE

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
is westworld 1973 canon

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Has anyone noticed/mentioned that the Weeks Ahead preview showed the Man in Black talking to Dolores who is wearing the new outfit she just picked up from being with William & Logan?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Maeve = Ma Eve

She will usher in the robot awakening and rebellion

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Law Cheetah posted:

is westworld 1973 canon

Not exactly, they may make reference to it now and then though. And it is possible the accident 34 years ago may share some characteristics (or it may not), but the show does not flow from the movie.

forgotten image
Jan 16, 2008

If you're going to secretly goonfuck, going to the worst pubbie guild in the galaxy isn't the brightest idea. :byewhore:
It was only a matter of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHGm5NxaJU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ryan_woody posted:

It was "Something I Can Never Have", specifically the piano arrangement off of the album "Still". The song was previously released on Pretty Hate Machine, though I prefer the stripped down version on "Still".
Also this song was used in Natural Born Killers, which lends a whole lot to what was going down there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgL7JipWiss

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

As far as I can tell:

William is Virgil, guiding Dolores through the circles of hell.

Sweetwater is the first level, or the level of the sad pagans.

Pariah is the 2nd level, lust obviously.

Also anybody notice how OBVIOUS the maze is?

ITS A FUCKIN BRAIN

ARNOLD IS THE MAN IN THE MAZE

ARNOLD IS THE GHOST IN THE MACHINE

GET IT?

GOT IT?

GOOD.

Also The Ghost In The Machine is a concept that describes Dualism. The Bicameral Mind is similar to Dualism.
You know the thing I've never heard anyone mention is how the maze only leads directly toward the center - everything else is entirely out of the loop

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

You know the thing I've never heard anyone mention is how the maze only leads directly toward the center - everything else is entirely out of the loop

destination: consciousness

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

The brain/maze thing is the first theory I've read that I don't think is stupid. Good job.

Idiot

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

coyo7e posted:

Or leads directly out of the maze.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Where will you be when the robot robo-lution starts?

Me? I''lll probably be at a BevMo or Total Wine, getting obliterated.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This show has more boobs and dicks than Spartacus. Amazing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ded posted:

Thandie Newton is a purdy lady. Same goes for Evan Rachel Wood.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ded posted:

It has like a fraction of the tits and dicks Spartacus had, though. Spartacus had them every episode.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

i even saw a vagoo maybe during the orgy which was like whoah for TV

But yeah Eyes Wide Shut p much

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Or leads directly out of the maze.
to be fair the only way out of the labyrinth is to fly away anyway - unless you enter it from outside to begin with or don't build it up around yourself

ded posted:

Yeah that brothel scene really felt like a literal glove thrown down at Spartacus' orgies.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 1, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

VendaGoat posted:

I still wonder how many employees from Time Warner are watching this thread.

They all left after the second gun derail.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gonz posted:

Thandie Newton is a purdy lady. Same goes for Evan Rachel Wood.
I started watching Guy Ritchie's RocknRolla again earlier on a lark becaquse of some post I made somewhere else about Toby Kebbell.. And in the first like 3 minutes I was like :aaaaa: Thandie Newton was in this too and I forgot!?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like Thandie Newton, but she was in W playing Condoleezza Rice, and it was just the worst performance.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I really like the theory that Maeve was getting herself killed and just listening in on the tech's discussions as a way to figure out what was going on. Like how she learned Felix's name. Also, Felix getting super freaked out at seeing Maeve like 4 times in a single day.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I hope no one kills Felix

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I hope everyone kills Sylvester.

Like the entire cast just does a Murder on the Orient Express.

We have traincars and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I think the Bicameralism may be more ham fisted than we realize. I don't think she's literally talking to Arnold. I think Arnold programmed into them the Bicameral Mind, and thus as the hosts gain awareness they are perceiving their own internal monologue - their own, original thoughts and ideas, as a god like otherworldly voice.

She is talking to herself, but in a way, she's talking to Arnold.

Yeah I think this is it because I am sick and tired of cartesian dualisms and ghosts in machines.

• Locked thread