Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
edit: bad at colors

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 19, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

~*just medium format things*~

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

more like large format if you ask me, on account of how big that image is

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

throw your camera in that gutter

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: nvm again

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 21, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

~*just medium format things*~

Did you get it back?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Satan takes his toll.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I would like to ask a stupid question please.

I really like the color and cast of a bunch of the medium format images posted here. For example:

. by Alex J, on Flickr

j'aime travailler by Joal Bennybagel, on Flickr

And Alkanphel's but he doesn't let people not him bbcode share them (I didn't know you could do that.)

But they all seem to have in common low contrast but sharp focus, slight vignetting and an overall color cast that I find really appealing. Is this just medium-format film, or are these being post-processed in Lightroom?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The second one is straight for the lab's scanner except for a slight crop. This is portra.
Alkanphel mostly shoots slides afaik.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Portra is (as the name suggests) designed for portraits so it's a low contrast, low saturation film. It's a fairly distinctive signature once you know to look for it. For high contrast colour, you shoot slide film like Provia and if you want to crank up the colours, Ektar is the usual choice.

Thus, it's not so much an artifact of medium format cameras per se, it's more that there's not the same level of choice in film stocks for 120 colour film as there is for 35mm cameras. You're well sorted for black and white options still but colour not so much.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

It's a fairly distinctive signature once you know to look for it.

Yeah it's kinda funny when you start noticing movies filmed in Kodak Vision 3 (basically portra for motion pictures), or at least movies with a digital filter applied to simulate it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

And Alkanphel's but he doesn't let people not him bbcode share them (I didn't know you could do that.)

Hmm I didn't know that either but I think I have now changed the setting that would allow people to share my bbcode. Amusingly I ran into the same situation as you when compiling the OP of this thread.

Anyway yeah for color I shoot almost only slides, mostly Provia 100F but occasionally Velvia 50 in the past (and some rare Astia 100F).

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Very cool! Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't into photography when film ruled the world, and when I did decide to get into it, I gravitated towards digital mostly for cost reasons, I did not realize that (it seems) most Lightroom presets are there to simulate the look of different films.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

From what I've seen, I really like these look of astia, especially for landscapes. Shame it's discontinued.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
*clutches the remaining three rolls of astia 220 i have left*

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, I didn't do much to that shot, it's just a straight scan of Portra. The old lens may have caused some additional low contrast and the vignetting. It felt like cheating when I first started using 120 Portra and got the result I was after without having to work on the image forever like with 35mm and cheap film stocks or digital.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I had to work the poo poo out of this in PS just to get it looking halfway correct. The roll it came off of developed slightly pinkish umber instead of the normal healthy orange. No doubt my gently caress up somewhere. Seems like I can only ever get good results from a unicolor c41 kit on the first roll I process through :sigh:

IMG_9485-0 by S M, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I had to work the poo poo out of this in PS just to get it looking halfway correct. The roll it came off of developed slightly pinkish umber instead of the normal healthy orange. No doubt my gently caress up somewhere. Seems like I can only ever get good results from a unicolor c41 kit on the first roll I process through :sigh:

IMG_9485-0 by S M, on Flickr

I used to get wildly varying results too, until I built a temperature controlled water bath. Now every single roll comes out perfect. Even when I was certain my manual temperature control was spot on, it wasn't good enough.

Edit: if your first roll comes out good but subsequent ones don't, you're probably experiencing some kind of contamination between steps.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 28, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I figure it's that sometimes, but I wonder if maybe I'm also getting better results the first time because I'm mixing chems at 110° and letting them cool to 102° & immediately developing, rather than heating them just to that point and no farther as I do for every subsequent process. Maybe by 2 minutes in to the development, it's cooled too much..

But that would be a moot point if I had a more controlled process method. What kind of heater do you use? I've got some old aquarium heaters, but they don't go high enough.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I bought a heating element from the hardware store and cut a hole in the side of a large bucket and mounted it inside. It's wired up to a temperature controller I got off eBay.

I had mixed results heating to 102 and immediately developing, too. I think there's too much carryover heat and the temp actually continues to rise a little bit during development.

The temperature controller I got has a function that lets you "train" it for your particular set up so that it automatically turns the heater off before the target temp and it coasts the rest of the way.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 28, 2016

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 30, 2016

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Liking ektar more than I thought I would.

Piss by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

BEIJING by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A heads-up about Alpenhause Camera/Steven Icanberry.

I sent him an email that amounted to "can you fit a Super Angulon 90mm f/8 in your cameras", since he can apparently fit something as large as a 150mm plasmat type. The answer is no but he apparently considers asking him anything at all to be the equivalent of agreeing to purchase a camera. He wouldn't take the hint and since I told him that I wasn't interested at present he's become increasingly hostile. Every couple weeks I get a random email that's something like "you're a jerkoff".

Apparently the guy is something of a weirdo. He's had quite a a few complaints about him in the past on other forums (including some for non-delivery - and he insists on only being paid by money order and other non-returnable forms of payment), and he's pretty good at manipulating people to take down complaints about him. He basically seems to provoke a fight which gets the moderators flooded with reports until they lock the thread. LFF has a "no commentary" policy on seller advisories (literally nothing but the exact communications that occurred between you and the seller) and he's apparently rules-lawyered this to get the complaints taken down after he pitches his fit.

I guess his handiwork is probably fine but I would have serious reservations about transacting with him at this point. It's not the end of the world to set him on my blocklist, but I guess I should have taken the whole crazy "don't email me if you're not going to buy a camera" rant on his website a little more seriously. :stare:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 1, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

A heads-up about Alpenhause Camera/Steven Icanberry.
LFF has a "no commentary" policy on seller advisories (literally nothing but the exact communications that occurred between you and the seller) and he's apparently rules-lawyered this to get the complaints taken down after he pitches his fit.

LFF has a lot of policies on what you can and cant say, most of us are banned from there after an incident involving moderator censorship. Basically if alpenhause is on their good ol'boys list you wouldn't be allowed to complain about him anyway.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Here's some 4x5 shots of flowers taken with an uncoated f/2.9 lens

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Castle. Kiev 88 on Foma 400.

MedFormat003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

MedFormat011.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Also found an old Flexaret TLR at a flea market and put a roll of film through it. I think the shutter needs adjustment because everything was about a stop and a half overexposed, other than that however it works fine.

Flexaret011.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess his handiwork is probably fine but I would have serious reservations about transacting with him at this point. It's not the end of the world to set him on my blocklist, but I guess I should have taken the whole crazy "don't email me if you're not going to buy a camera" rant on his website a little more seriously. :stare:

And that's after he already said that he can't mount the lens you wanted? Was he expecting to talk you into something else?

:stare: indeed. You weren't kidding. I've heard Will Littman is similarly pugnacious, though in a different way; there's been a joke running around since at least the early 2000s that there's something in the 110 plastic or glue that makes people modifying them go crazy.

Steven Icanberry posted:

PAYMENT DETAILS

Please Folks!

I can appreciate your efforts to inform me long in advance about your interest in building for you a custom camera weeks or months in the future, but really, a couple of days is all that is needed, please contact me when you are totally ready.
Please have the necessary funding for your camera project available for immediate shipping as soon as the details for your order have been worked out.
Planning the construction of your camera, even unusual custom cameras is easy and only takes a week or two to perform in most cases, please be sure you have the necessary time to consult with me by email or phone without long periods of time with emails and phone calls going unanswered, we can sort out the details of your project very rapidly and easily if you will answer emails and phone calls in a rapid manner.
Please be willing to visit your Post Office and Bank as soon as your order details have been sorted out, Become signed up and verified member of payment processors listed on this website long before it is time to send payment if these processors are to be used.
If you are able to do all of the above you can count on great fast service along with obtaining a great new camera or service and you will be a respected valuable client that has done their part to make the project work smoothly without delays or complications.
It is with much regret to have to inform you that if you are unable to do all of the above to contact me again at another time once you are able and willing to do all of the above, "Wait", "Later", "Maybe", "Might" and lengthy "Need To Think About It" along with "I Have To Sell Off My Graflex" or other item are just NOT welcome and are responses that will be considered as project failures and project is not of serious importance to you which more often than not means no deal will occur, failure to respond rapidly to emails and telephone messages is considered very disrespectful and abusive.
There is however no problem with "Later" provided you are willing to send part or all of the funds needed for your project right away.

Payment preferred is check or money order, my bank clears them overnight, Bank wire transfers OK. https://www.transfermate.com
For those of you over in Europe or other countries outside of the United States it would seem you folks are not one bit interested in visiting your Bank and just a little more willing to visit your Post Office, I have found a great service based in Ireland, it is called https://www.transfermate.com Transfermate is a respected website for transferring money overseas, no need to visit your bank, you can perform a payment transfer to my shop in the USA all online, their fees are a lot lower than Western Union and regular overseas Bank Wire Transfers, you will need to sign up with Transfermate.com, it is not difficult, it is easy to sign up, it is not time consuming either, please take the time to visit Transfermate.com and see if it is suitable for you.
Visa, MasterCard, Amex, cards are for those that live in really far away countries where mailing a check or money order is next to impossible to do or bank wire transfers are really expensive. use of cards is NOT encouraged for residents of the USA and Canada, both countries have easy access to checks and money orders, these payment methods are actually faster and easier than credit card payments are, credit card transactions take a long time to process, mailed payments arrive a lot faster.
https://www.skrill.com Can be used for domestic and outside the USA payment methods, You must take the time to become a signed up verified member, use the bank transfer of funds method to send payment to your account and then send to Alpenhause Kamera Werke for payment of your camera. We also can use https://www.payza.com to process credit cards outside of the USA, You will need to put forth the time and effort to become signed up with this payment processor. Sending funds with either of these outfits is free.
I will just be honest and upfront with you folks about this credit card business, I do not want the risk or the expense, most credit card processors are expensive and slow with very lame customer service, many of them support scam artists hence their security procedures are just phenomenal in a negative way, not that I don't trust you.....
People that fail to pay or sign up with the credit card processors or other payment processors I use are obviously pulling a scam.
Chargebacks for anything other than non-delivery of the package are a scam as well, I know exactly what to do in these situations, no one will get a "Free One"
All possible sales by means of credit cards are evaluated on a case by case basis and are subject to my approval or rejection at will.
American Express Traveler's Checks are welcome as well, these are a safe reliable payment method.
Western Union payments also welcome.
I Do Not Accept PayPal Under Any Circumstances, No Way, No How, Do Not Even Think About Offering To Pay With PayPal, Or Even Asking About PayPal, No Discussion About PayPal Here.
Talking by phone is often a really good idea, we can get all questions answered right away and I most certainly look forward to chatting with you.
Please be financially prepared for a purchase like this, stories about your tax audit going well, checking with wife, husband, partner to let me know later are just not wanted or needed.
Stories about "Later" are not welcome because more often than not "Later" means "Never", "Later" however is OK if you have sent all or part of the payment, conversion must be fully paid for before shipment.
Are you from one of those countries where scams are a big part of your country's foreign income? Don't even think about it! There is no PayPal accepted here so your scam won't work, Don't even think of contacting me either!
If you are a Certified Excuse Provider find some one else's website to visit.
Are you one of those that finds trouble with any deal or transaction you encounter? Find another website to visit.
Honest clients that are responsible and return emails and phone calls please disregard the following: Are you one of those irresponsible Lowlifes that does not answer email's, never sends payment after to agreeing to send payment? GET THE HELL OFF MY WEBSITE NOW!!!!!
Shipping And Delivery:
All shipping is sent by fully insured carriers like United States Postal Service, United Parcel Service or Federal Express.
If credit card is used and purchase by credit card has been approved by Alpenhause Kamera Werke the package will only be sent to the billing address of the card holder, No exceptions.
All cameras are custom ordered and there is no refunds, cameras carry a 2 year parts and labor warranty, customer pays for shipping

(As an aside, he's a SovCit-style tax-protest type, so he probably insists on money orders and such to avoid leaving a paper trail for the taxman to follow. Just consider yourself lucky that he hasn't started claiming that you created joinder and are obligated to pay him or started filing bogus liens against you.)

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

I like these!

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
Walls incoming

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Figured I would pose this question here since I THINK this film falls into the medium format category.

My mom passed on three negatives to me of an event from many many years ago, it has special interest to us so I am going to have them scanned in. However I am interested in some of the facts about the medium they were shot on as well.

The negatives measure roughly 3 x 4.5, black and white. I know this is not much to go on but hoping some here can steer me into a way to find out more on this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can you tell if the negatives are from roll film or sheet film?
How old are they approximately?
Are there any edge markings, either text exposed on the edge or notches into the stock?

If there is a chance the film is from before 1950, it may be nitrocellulose base, which can be unstable and has a risk of spontaneous combustion.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Figured I would pose this question here since I THINK this film falls into the medium format category.

My mom passed on three negatives to me of an event from many many years ago, it has special interest to us so I am going to have them scanned in. However I am interested in some of the facts about the medium they were shot on as well.

The negatives measure roughly 3 x 4.5, black and white. I know this is not much to go on but hoping some here can steer me into a way to find out more on this.

Do you have any idea of about when they were taken? Are they cut individually, or part of a roll? Are the edges square, like they were originally sheets, or are the corners a little off-square, like maybe they were cut by hand?

Kodak had some ridiculous number of roll film sizes in the early days, at least partly because enlarging was not very good and everything had to be contact-printed.