Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

koreban posted:

I can't wait to read/watch the interviews with the jurors to explain this. I'm guessing you can't "impede federal employees" when you occupy a building during a time that they normally shut down operations.
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/792033713483677696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

quote:

Defense lawyers urged jurors in closing arguments not to mix-up the "effect'' of the occupation – which undoubtedly kept federal employees from doing their jobs - from the "intent'' of the occupiers.

So just to be clear, they didn't intend to intimidate with weapons federal employees. They just happened to be occupying the building with rifles... gently caress our justice system...

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hahaha.

quote:

Juror 4 plainly stated that fellow Juror 11, during the initial round of deliberations, "had zero business being on this jury in the first place.''

This is why it's important for jurors to have a say in the voir dire process. Thank god juror 11 was able to ensure we followed the constitution's assurance that a jury should be able to select who amongst it should be considered a peer.

This guy sounds more and more like every self important quasi-libertarian business school guy I've ever met.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

xrunner posted:

This is why it's important for jurors to have a say in the voir dire process. Thank god juror 11 was able to ensure we followed the constitution's assurance that a jury should be able to select who amongst it should be considered a peer.

This guy sounds more and more like every self important quasi-libertarian business school guy I've ever met.
"The court, flummoxed by the development, a day later dismissed Juror 11 for "good cause,'' after the prosecution and defense teams agreed to the dismissal."
Maybe that person is a jerk or libertarian or whatever, but it seems like the process supported their assertion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

So just to be clear, they didn't intend to intimidate with weapons federal employees. They just happened to be occupying the building with rifles... gently caress our justice system...
I have no idea what the defending argument was but I'm imagining "well they were open carrying, and open carry isn't by nature intimidating, because it's Are Rights" and then the jury all stood up and clapped

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can't imagine a room full of people who don't want to be there coming up with a less than optimal verdict. Truly, it boggles the mind.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

twodot posted:

"The court, flummoxed by the development, a day later dismissed Juror 11 for "good cause,'' after the prosecution and defense teams agreed to the dismissal."
Maybe that person is a jerk or libertarian or whatever, but it seems like the process supported their assertion.

Maybe it's just me, but if jurors are arguing over whether their fellow jurors should be considering the case, it sounds like grounds for a mistrial. Jurors don't get a say in who gets picked, and the court boned this one up (believe it or not, trial courts sometimes get things wrong). The prosecutor really screwed it up by agreeing to let it happen.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

Maybe it's just me, but if jurors are arguing over whether their fellow jurors should be considering the case, it sounds like grounds for a mistrial. Jurors don't get a say in who gets picked, and the court boned this one up (believe it or not, trial courts sometimes get things wrong). The prosecutor really screwed it up by agreeing to let it happen.
Jurors don't get a say in who is picked, but they are typically human beings with various sensory organs, and so are capable of detecting a fellow juror actually say they are unfit to be a juror and report that experience to the judge who does get a say in who is a juror and who isn't.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 28, 2016

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Which BLM are we talking about here?
Depends on which one is loving up your commute on any given day.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

twodot posted:

Jurors don't get a say in who is picked, but they are typically human beings with various sensory organs, and so are capable of detecting a fellow juror actually say they are unfit to be a juror and report that experience to the judge who does get a say in who is a juror and who isn't.

That doesn't sound like what happened, though. It sounds like number 4 got most of the jury to see things his way, and, frustrated he couldn't convince the last hold-out, accused him of bias. 4 wanted this outcome and he maneuvered to make it happen.

As an aside, here's a rather limited conversation with the dismissed juror. https://www.myeasternoregon.com/2016/10/28/baker-city-exclusive-conversation-with-juror-dismissed-from-trial/

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

xrunner posted:

That doesn't sound like what happened, though. It sounds like number 4 got most of the jury to see things his way, and, frustrated he couldn't convince the last hold-out, accused him of bias. 4 wanted this outcome and he maneuvered to make it happen.

As an aside, here's a rather limited conversation with the dismissed juror. https://www.myeasternoregon.com/2016/10/28/baker-city-exclusive-conversation-with-juror-dismissed-from-trial/

There was a photo of the juror note in the USPOL thread, the dismissed juror apparently kept starting every other sentance with "Well I'm very biased but..."

at that point as a judge you kinda have to do something I would think.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

I mean maybe 4 lied, but reporting a juror stating they are biased is a fundamentally reasonable thing to do. Even assuming 4 lied, none of the interested parties objected to removing the juror, so I can't see how anyone could think this is a problem.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Doccers posted:

There was a photo of the juror note in the USPOL thread, the dismissed juror apparently kept starting every other sentance with "Well I'm very biased but..."

at that point as a judge you kinda have to do something I would think.

The note alleged that he said "I'm very biased" but it didn't state that he said it more than once, if I remember correctly. That said, I think what the judge has to do is either let it go to a verdict or to have a mistrial. Dismissing a juror on a hearsay note from another juror without inquiring into it (which Judge Brown probably correctly refused to do) seems like an idiotic move.

twodot posted:

I mean maybe 4 lied, but reporting a juror stating they are biased is a fundamentally reasonable thing to do. Even assuming 4 lied, none of the interested parties objected to removing the juror, so I can't see how anyone could think this is a problem.

Yeah, the prosecutor really blew it on this point. Probably going to hurt his career pretty badly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Which BLM are we talking about here?

The BLM which previously employed juror 11 - which is why he was considered biased and removed from the jury, because you know corrections officers get tossed out as witnesses and poo poo all the time

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

xrunner posted:

Yeah, the prosecutor really blew it on this point. Probably going to hurt his career pretty badly.

Good. gently caress him. He's an incompetent moron.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/792108200669478912

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So homeless people can just occupy city hall now, right?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

got any sevens posted:

So homeless people can just occupy city hall now, right?
Hey, man, that is NOT a joke. Mrit will by around to call you out on it in a sec, maybe tell you that city hall isn't federal land or something. Anyway, there's an update:
https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/792113959037915137

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Arent most of these folks going to end up on trial in Nevada too? Maybe that federal prosecutor isn't a bonehead.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schwack posted:

Arent most of these folks going to end up on trial in Nevada too? Maybe that federal prosecutor isn't a bonehead.
Two of them are, yeah.

e: also don't forget that we arrested Cliven Bundy when he flew to Portland to visit

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 29, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So maybe a dumb question, but does WA-1433 apply the sick leave requirement to everyone, or just hourly workers? From my quick glance at the initiative it looks like everyone, but was just curious if anyone had a definitive answer.

EDIT: Well, after reading the voters guide more, I'm thinking that those folks who are exempt from the minimum wage act (executives, professional, computer nerds, sales people) would also be exempt from the sick leave requirements, but I'd still appreciate if someone else had a better insight!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 1, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

Testing doesn't mean that the problem has been solved.

Why do tech bros feel like this is such a trivial exercise?

What exactly are you even trying to say, it's pretty obvious you don't have a single clue how any of it works anyway, it's like listening to a 5 year old talk about calculus.

computer parts posted:

It honestly probably is that much if you're relying on software that has to read the paint on the ground to stay in its lane.

lol welcome to 4 years ago, like seriously why do people comment on things they clearly have no knowledge of??

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 1, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

lol welcome to 4 years ago, like seriously why do people comment on things they clearly have no knowledge of??

Well, you keep doing it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

why do people comment on things they clearly have no knowledge of??

It's a discussion board, not a peer reviewed journal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This crop of initiatives has been a real doozy to hear about at work. I have a co-worker who told me i-1491 is going to cause the following chain of events to happen to him:

1) his spiteful relatives will report him to the authorities saying he is a mental health risk
2) the accusation isn't vetted and action is taken in 7 days
3) the police come to his house with a no-knock warrant to take his guns and they kill him.

He says he won't let that happen because he will move out of WA if it passes. I guess we sorta solved it for him at the end when he told me that.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 1, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's a valid complaint.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

What exactly are you even trying to say, it's pretty obvious you don't have a single clue how any of it works anyway, it's like listening to a 5 year old talk about calculus.

It's clear that I believe that fully automated cars are not just around the corner and that the problems keeping them from full use by the public are non-trivial. I don't see why you're so upset about this or why you felt the need to respond to it a week or so after I made the statement.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, cops should have to knock

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

got any sevens posted:

Yeah, cops should have to knock

Nosy relatives should have some sort of proof before they get to have you legally swatted.
Innocent until proven guilty yadda yadda

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The language I read in the initiative said the accuser had to provide "grounds for the claim" but I don't know if that is a legal term or what.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The language I read in the initiative said the accuser had to provide "grounds for the claim" but I don't know if that is a legal term or what.
Here's the actual standard:

quote:

Upon hearing the matter, if the court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that the respondent poses a significant danger of causing personal injury to self or others by having in his or her custody or control, purchasing, possessing, or receiving a firearm, the court shall issue an extreme risk protection order for a period of one year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That sounds super clear and not subject to interpretation.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I can't actually tell if you're being serious or not. That standard is indeed super clear, but it's plainly subject to interpretation as the entire purpose of the legal system is to interpret law and apply it to facts, and any legal standard will be subject to interpretation (like "beyond a reasonable doubt" requires a person to figure out what they think "reasonable" means as it applies to doubts).

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

LingcodKilla posted:

If you're concerned about how judges will interpret the law, ask them when they run. We have elected judges here, you can ask them questions and vote based on what they say.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gohuskies posted:

If you're concerned about how judges will interpret the law, ask them when they run. We have elected judges here, you can ask them questions and vote based on what they say.

Nothing brings truth out like asking a candidate what they think while they are running a political campaign.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I voted against it, but only because it turns someone who supposedly has mental issues into a felon. I feel like that's pretty hosed up.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I also voted against it, because I saw the Magical Policeman Just Knows provision to be a Ferguson-esque municipal enrichment scheme. A police officer deciding to turn you into a criminal at your expense to disprove it is garbage on the jump.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm glad we cleared this up.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I would be more ok with it if it was some sort of civil procedure, but as designed it basically puts the cops right back into the "you are a military force going potentially into a hot zone"

Seems like it was written by somebody with the right intent but poor conception of the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I would pay a lot of money to never hear about Measure 97 (on either side) again.

Fortunately, I just have to wait a week.

• Locked thread