Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You're really mad at people about a television show. Maybe get out for a while, take a nice walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I thought it was sweet how Felix wanted to branch into a new line of work, and the joy on his face after he fixed the bird was awesome

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like how the show has played up the physiques of the hosts as opposed to the flabby humans. The hosts are all tight abs and trapezius like suspension bridges. I think Maeve is the smallest host we've seen so far, other than children, and she's pretty buff. Even non-threatening hosts like Calliope are played by pretty large actors, so they can switch to threatening real fast. I wonder if this influenced the casting of the tiny programmer. Seriously, if you look at her standing shots with other actors she is real dinky. They've threatened her with robot beefcakes at least once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gynecolojustice posted:

I thought it was sweet how Felix wanted to branch into a new line of work, and the joy on his face after he fixed the bird was awesome

Yeah it was a good foil for Ford in this episode.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gynecolojustice posted:

lol if you're not smart enough to see the bird as the Icarus allegory for him flying too high and getting too close to the sun

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Junkfist posted:

FINALLY A GOOD THEORY jesus christ.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

coyo7e posted:

lol if you're not smart enough to see the bird as the Icarus allegory for him flying too high and getting too close to the sun

nah

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

uftheory posted:

Wait, are you suggesting that they are reading the internet each week and adjusting the rest of the episodes based on what is being discussed?

Considering reshoots and editing is a thing within the known universe. Yes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's obvious the bird that failed was from a different timeline as the one that flew. Felix needed 30 years to develop the proper technology. Have you seen any birds in the story with William and Logan? I thought not.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VendaGoat posted:

Do mid-season edits happen?

FogHelmut posted:

Have you seen any birds in the story with William and Logan? I thought not.
I know you're joking, but the absolute kettle of vultures over Pariah.

Mornil
Sep 6, 2010
I'm starting to wonder whether Ford may be wrong about Arnold really being dead. In an attempt to bring down the park, Arnold could have secretly built a robot doppelganger of himself and set up story events to have it very publicly killed by another host in the park, giving the appearance of supposedly impossible host on guest murder...the "incident." If the park was just starting to transition from the mechanical to "full flesh and blood" models, the park technicians might not have been able to immediately distinguish the remains from a real human corpse (especially if they wanted to keep the incident quiet and didn't perform a real autopsy). Like Ford, Arnold probably had enough access to know "everything" about all of the park employees and has since been able to leverage that information to bribe/blackmail a few employees to implant the wifi receivers in the arms of some of the hosts. The receivers would allow him to silently monitor those hosts, give them mental commands, and might even allow him to take full control when necessary. Maeve's final "we need to talk" at the end of the episode might have been Arnold speaking through her mouth to one of his blackmail targets; it certainly seemed to be coming from a completely different person/personality than when she previously activated in the lab.

Arnold may be once again be pulling strings to give the (false) appearance that hosts are gaining free will and becoming dangerous. But it's possible that his tinkering to give this illusion might be inadvertently creating real free will which will turn out to be a surprise even to him.

I'm not sure how the man in black would play into this. His act that saved the park from collapse may have been something as simple as bribing the various witnesses of the incident to change their accounts from "murder" to "suicide" --- still a big PR hit, but enough to prevent the government from stepping in to shut things down immediately. After all this time in the park, the man in black may be starting to suspect the truth about Arnold's deception and wants to follow this maze that supposedly leads to free will to confirm his suspicions that it's all actually smoke and mirrors.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Do mid-season edits happen?

Yes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm not going back and rewatching right now but I'm pretty sure he even mentions how it's going to "get him out"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
as an avid fan I instantly recognized Felix as one of Drift King's weed holders from Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

VendaGoat posted:

Considering principal photography on the show ended like a year ago, even if you take into account some more recent reshoots, I really don't think they are tweaking episodes week to week in order to react to things a bunch of idiots online are saying.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

Considering principal photography on the show ended like a year ago, even if you take into account some more recent reshoots, I really don't think they are tweaking episodes week to week in order to react to things a bunch of idiots online are saying.

Jesus man. Have you never heard of "reacting to market focus"?

Have you never heard of "catering to the guests wants"?

Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 1, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
See, the point of being a good Dungeon Master is being able to react to your player's desires in a manner that furthers your narrative and advances the plot you have devised for them.

Being able to, in Ford's words, "improvise" is what makes for a truly enjoyable experience.

Don't get married to the how, get married to the why.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

Not exactly, they may make reference to it now and then though. And it is possible the accident 34 years ago may share some characteristics (or it may not), but the show does not flow from the movie.

Makes me wonder though--does it flow perhaps from the book?

I've never read it myself to know.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Two timelines seems pretty far out there from what I've been watching, just to pile it on a bit. It seems like one of those things you "want" to be true so you start making connections and ignoring all clues to the opposite. It makes no sense based on all the many points being brought up earlier. I honestly can't think of one thing that makes me consider it's even a possibility. It would never have occurred to me if I wasn't following the thread. With all the crazy stuff that's happened the last two episodes I'm surprised people aren't talking more about what we actually have learned.

Ford walking up and being like "what up MiB, I know what your up to and I don't have two fucks to give." Nobody saw that poo poo coming!

Who knows though right? Anything is possible but I obviously cared enough to post that you are wrong on the internet.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

VendaGoat posted:

Jesus man. Have you never heard of "reacting to market focus"?

Have you never heard of "catering to the guests wants"?

Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

Changing the editing on a tv show is a major deal. It's not like they can just say, "Oh hey some people think William is the MiB, let's cut out some scenes to make this ambiguous." By the time you get viewer feedback from the general population you are already starting to be too late to make changes in anything down the line.

In the absolute best circumstances you are talking about going through hours of footage, rearranging musical cues, ensuring all audio is (once again) properly finalized, and making sure that nothing you did will have cascading effects on work that you've already declared as complete down the line. And for what? So a couple people online feel good about themselves? So you can subvert a small amount of people's expectations? It makes no sense. There is an insane amount of momentum and inertia involved in a production of this size and complexity, which has already had massive production hurdles. To think that this thread, or reactions on twitter, or reddit ramblings are going to be scoured to make changes to the current season is just absurd. Maybe, maybe some of the internet reaction will be taken into account for future seasons. Because season 2 is in the planning stages, you know when decisions are made as to the content of a season. Not 6 days before an episode is set to be released.

Making media is not some magical event that just makes things materialize an hour before they are broadcast. This poo poo takes an incredible amount of time and effort to pull off. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised, due to the nature of the troubled production and time lags, if the entire season is done and in the can, just waiting to be shown.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Astroman posted:

Makes me wonder though--does it flow perhaps from the book?

I've never read it myself to know.

Chichton wrote the screenplay for the movie, and that screenplay was adapted as a tie-in book, So probably not much insight or difference there unless changes where made to the screenplay. I had to look that up though, wasn't sure which way the source material flowed.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm going to give you a in line thought process. Feel honored.

JossiRossi posted:

Changing the editing on a tv show is a major deal. It's not like they can just say, "Oh hey some people think William is the MiB, let's cut out some scenes to make this ambiguous." By the time you get viewer feedback from the general population you are already starting to be too late to make changes in anything down the line.

Now how would anyone outside the knowledge of how these things work, know this much, or this in depth level? How would they be able to refute such a simple contrary opinion with so much knowledge that it took three full paragraphs to communicate?

JossiRossi posted:

In the absolute best circumstances you are talking about going through hours of footage, rearranging musical cues, ensuring all audio is (once again) properly finalized, and making sure that nothing you did will have cascading effects on work that you've already declared as complete down the line. And for what? So a couple people online feel good about themselves? So you can subvert a small amount of people's expectations? It makes no sense. There is an insane amount of momentum and inertia involved in a production of this size and complexity, which has already had massive production hurdles. To think that this thread, or reactions on twitter, or reddit ramblings are going to be scoured to make changes to the current season is just absurd. Maybe, maybe some of the internet reaction will be taken into account for future seasons. Because season 2 is in the planning stages, you know when decisions are made as to the content of a season. Not 6 days before an episode is set to be released.

How much are you getting paid to do as such? If it's an amount that you deem "worthy" you'll do it. This is coming from one of the shareholders of the company that has produced this wonderful show. If I paid you enough, you'd suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat, willingly.

JossiRossi posted:

Making media is not some magical event that just makes things materialize an hour before they are broadcast. This poo poo takes an incredible amount of time and effort to pull off. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised, due to the nature of the troubled production and time lags, if the entire season is done and in the can, just waiting to be shown.

No poo poo? Things take time to produce and then to change them, due to whatever reason is a chore? Color me loving surprised darling. What a disparity you are communicating to me.

Get to work. I have a series to enjoy.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

You are a literal crazy person.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

You are a literal crazy person.

Get.
To.
Work.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

"Two timelines" is so oblique that it's the perfect home for the faux intellectualists and obsessives that popular shows always end up getting. It's honestly one step below SMG coming in here and informing us serfs that the show is really about the Vietnam War or some poo poo.

Sometimes a rose is just a rose is a rose.

uftheory
May 30, 2003

JossiRossi posted:

Making media is not some magical event that just makes things materialize an hour before they are broadcast.

Hey if South Park can do it then I don't see why a live action, 10 million dollar per episode, ensemble cast, CG laden, sci-fi meditation on the meaning of humanity couldn't be winged the same way.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

this is what googling robot arnold gives me

the maze goes deeper

Put this poster in theaters and I *WILL* be there opening day

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know what gaming demographic needs to be represented in Westworld? The whales.

I want a motherfucker to come into town with an old west gatling gun, two rifles, six handguns, a ridiculous armored horse, maybe a few hatchets and half his stuff is plated in gold, just because he spends $120,000 on Westworld a day instead of $40,000 for all the loot. It would work doubly well if the MiB wrecked his poo poo one minute after showing up with the starter pistol.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know what gaming demographic needs to be represented in Westworld? The whales.

I want a motherfucker to come into town with an old west gatling gun, two rifles, six handguns, a ridiculous armored horse, maybe a few hatchets and half his stuff is plated in gold, just because he spends $120,000 on Westworld a day instead of $40,000 for all the loot. It would work doubly well if the MiB wrecked his poo poo one minute after showing up with the starter pistol.

As has been established 200K per day.

Your point loving stands.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Second Circle is Virtuous Pagans, so I'm not sure Sweetwater qualifies.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

Put this poster in theaters and I *WILL* be there opening day

If you haven't seen bollywood terminator, you need to get on that, because your Life is traffic and empty and you don't even know why.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I don't like the two timeline theory, but this show definitely fucks around with timing. Like, maeve got fixed up, redressed, popped back into town, got herself killed, a grave digger found her, brought her to a grave, and buried her, and brought to Felix, all in time during his lunch break? It's edited to feel that way, but I doubt that's what really happened. Then again, Felix was hella surprised to see her.

Do we know how much was reshot? I didn't hear any of the background before the show started, it could be that all these ambiguities are simply them making the best out of the material they had.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Anyone posted this yet? I didn't read the entire thread, only the last 20 or so pages.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Was watching the "In Coming Weeks" preview for the show and noticed something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8J3nTfR23g

At 0:41-0:43 William pulls out a knife that looks very familiar.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's the MiB's knife that featured prominently in the scene between him and Ford.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Yeah it is and he's probably going to cut the squirming guy open and see his metal guts like the Man in Black talked about to Teddy last ep but the show will still try to play it off as "HMM WHAT'S GOING ON?" it's going to be bad.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I've skipped a few pages as this thread bobs around the event horizon of crazy so very fast...I may have missed a couple of observations, but:

Dr Ford and MiB are both at the end of their lives, especially MiB as Dr Ford alludes to in their conversation. They are looking at their death and legacy, thus Ford going back to Arnold.

Call it the Split Timeframe theory please, it makes more sense. OK don't then.

The Asian guy is not good at coding. I doubt very much Meave is the Meave we have seen, as how could she control the bird like that?

Ford tells his employees that the hosts are not alive and should not be treated tenderly, and yet he is so very very courteous with Dolores.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

qbert posted:

At 0:41-0:43 William pulls out a knife that looks very familiar.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's the MiB's knife that featured prominently in the scene between him and Ford.

Yep, I saw this that kinda made me think the two timelines theory is possible but the payoff on revealing the twist still isn't clicking with me.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Guys I think VendaGoat might be questioning the nature of his reality a little too hard.

Don't try and figure our any guns, okay buddy?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

qbert posted:

I am strongly in favor of this theory. Bernard is either a clone of Arnold or an robot version of Arnold, and the Bernard/Delores conversations are actually flashback Arnold/Delores conversations, which convinces him to try and turn hosts sentient and shut down the park.

Yeeeeeeeeeees.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Hey who wants a lovely theory based on subtle but clear costume changes? Okay!

Time fuckery is a thing and Jeffery Wright is both Arnold and Bernard. We're seeing three epochs with "out of park" characters and any scene involving only hosts can be filled in between.

Epoch 1: Arnold (Jeffrey Wright) and Dolores
The scenes where its just the two of them (and any scene where Wright doesn't interact with known characters) takes place first and is from when Anard was attempting to create true artificial intelligence. We know that Dolores is one of the oldest robots in the park and that the voice commands we see Anard use are also original. His son dies, he has an existential crisis of faith. His one on one scenes with Dolores are where he's helping her develop full sentience.

Interlude: Arnold builds the maze as an advanced Turing test, successfully creates AI in Dolores and probably others; uploads a replica of himself; dies.
Incident happens
Ford activates Bernard at some point. New people are rotated in so they don't notice he never ages.

Epoch 2: Ford and Company
Ford loving with the reveries allows Dolores and other hosts to touch their old sentience which interacts unfavorably with snippets of past trauma. We're seeing a bunch of this. Ford starts work on the Black Church storyline. Bernard was triggered by the Violent Desires/Violent Ends line and starts to flashback to Anard memories. The key scene is where Bernard and Ford are talking about Arnold. Ford asks if his questions relate to his son, Charlie. Bernard doesn't answer and just walks away leaving Ford looking really concerned. I think that Arnold had a son and Bernard gets a fictional son with a different name to serve as a test to ensure that Arnold doesn't become self aware.

Interlude: The Park gets more commercial. Man in Black starts his quest. Some guests or employees go rogue and join up with the creepy hillfolk

Epoch 3: McPoyle

White Hat gets to help Dolores get to the endgame and deal with all the poo poo that's gone wrong.

I'm now convinced that second Epoch is all setting up the board and Williams quest is the endgame for season 1. Ford is bulldozing a literal maze to create an boss-level quest that is independent from Arnold's legacy programming. That alters Teddy's loop so that he ends up being crucified by Wyatt every time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I havent read the thread so sorry if it was discussed before (Im sure it was), but what the gently caress happened to the "hosts cant hurt guests" rule in the last episodes, with Logan getting his rear end kicked, the man in black getting forcefully arrested and all?

• Locked thread