Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

This is doubly awkward as a Bounty Hunter as [spoilers for the BH storyline] you're seeing the replacement to the previous Chancellor you took down or forced to retire, who was a pretty much one of the only 10 reasonable and competent people in the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think this is the first time Saresh starts getting shown in an antagonistic light. She was always cast as a hardliner who wants to take the fight to the Empire but around the end of the original story and the Hutt Cartel it was unclear whether that was meant to be a bad thing or not. She was pretty out of the loop on the whole Revan and the Emperor situation though, and since the storyline's pushing toward more Empire and Republic cooperation her aggression is being cast as a negative.

It's pretty bad considering if Theron could've gotten even one or two sentences in edgewise he might've been able to say "Don't land on Ziost, everyone's getting mind-controlled" and saved a whole lot of trouble.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
It's refreshing to see the Republic messing things up for once, I also quite like the Sixth Line its good to see that not all Jedi act with little to no emotion which frankly is why I prefer Sith characters to Jedi characters.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

koolkevz666 posted:

It's refreshing to see the Republic messing things up for once, I also quite like the Sixth Line its good to see that not all Jedi act with little to no emotion which frankly is why I prefer Sith characters to Jedi characters.

I don't know what you mean about the Sixth Line. From what I understood, the idea behind them is that they act even less on their emotion then the regular Jedi do.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

I don't know what you mean about the Sixth Line. From what I understood, the idea behind them is that they act even less on their emotion then the regular Jedi do.

I've likely worded this badly, but what I meant was that most Jedi are okay with sitting back and letting the Republic tell them where to go while the Sixth Line are under Sheron and are much more take the fight to the Empire. Then again maybe that was just the way I saw it? Hard to remember as I did Ziost so long ago.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Saresh proving that there's no situation so bad she can't make it worse.

I think it was mentioned in one of the Let's Play threads, but Saresh started out life as an Imperial slave, and after she escaped worked her way up through the Republic all the way to Supreme Chancellor pretty much solely on competence and determination.

She's very good at what she does most of the time, but don't expect her to make a decision of restraint when it looks like she can land a death blow on the Empire in a single stroke. And to be fair, the only agent trying to tell her differently is already in hot water because he's been keeping apparently crucial information from her.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Saresh is a symptom of the Republic's continuing militarization - she's the one who got elected on a platform of "let's go kill the poo poo out of those guys, and if we compromise a bit then oh well we can fix it later". Less oversight gives more flexibility to troops and the executive branch, but it also means less accountability and more collateral damage.

And in a galaxy of space wizards, it also means that being the "hard person making hard choices" will have you sending lots of people into the maw of space wizard bullshit.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

I've likely worded this badly, but what I meant was that most Jedi are okay with sitting back and letting the Republic tell them where to go while the Sixth Line are under Sheron and are much more take the fight to the Empire. Then again maybe that was just the way I saw it? Hard to remember as I did Ziost so long ago.

Isn't this like the third or fourth "commando team supplemented by Jedi" we've seen?

There was the invasion of Balmorra (that Imperials stopped), the the First act of the Warrior was basically capped off with the leader of one of these teams, and I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting (I want to say Corellia and Nar Shadda, but am unsure).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing at least that the Emperor can't actually possess people while they're in space, or send possessed people into space. At least not yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

Isn't this like the third or fourth "commando team supplemented by Jedi" we've seen?

There have been a few individual Jedi or ex-Jedi (like Abeena's nemesis) in positions within the SIS, but they're not portrayed as being field agents, they're usually running the show. The 6th line is explicitly (if not significantly) different since they're a team of Jedi commandos. They're not supplementing a normal team, they are a team of all Jedi.

Well, they were a team of all Jedi. Now they're a team of The Emperor.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 31, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, there's some real mixed messages going on with the Sixth Line, because if increased militarization is meant to be part of Saresh's character and what she's bringing to the Republic then maybe she should've been the one to recruit and deploy a hardliner Jedi commando team, but instead it was Theron. It also undermines the attempt to paint Saresh as reckless and aggressive by throwing her army into a bad situation, because that's literally what Theron just did himself and he did it at the end of a chain of decisions he knew was going to erode the trust between the Supreme Chancellor and the SIS (him in particular).

This'd actually be a good place for a Jedi character in the story (apart from potentially the player) who could contrast what the Sixth Line are doing with how the Jedi normally operate, especially since they're explicitly named for making their own addendum to the Jedi Code, but Satele is nowhere to be found. Looks like they're all as good as dead anyway so any comment they might've provided on the state of the Republic and the Jedi as the war continues is lost apart from providing some Jedi-type enemies. In fact, I couldn't tell from that last update, did their leader just drop dead?

Is it at all explained why you and the other important characters on Ziost aren't possessed? Lana and her team were even planet-side when it all started to go down, and it's not like Force power is any kind of protection either. Maybe the player is spared since the Emperor's toying with them but nobody else needs to be. Elaborating on how the Emperor's mass mind control was working would've been a good idea, and if they wanted a coherent theme then something that preys on violent impulses would've been good because it'd make the hardliners like Saresh or the Sixth Line be more obviously playing into the Emperor's hands whereas the moderates would have to overcome their violent impulses to work together so they can beat the Emperor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

In fact, I couldn't tell from that last update, did their leader just drop dead?

No, she was able to briefly fight off the Emperor. She'll be the main avatar of the Emperor throughout Ziost.

Smugglers can also make the Emperor speechless for the first and only time in all of TOR on Ziost by flirting with him.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 1, 2016

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I know that's a typo but I can't bring myself to correct it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Why would you NOT go absolute smuggest with smuggler? Just wasting great quips.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 33: Who could possibly have predicted this?!

Early reports from Ziost had been rushed and nonsensical, but Minister Beniko has set everything straight. She told me of Vitiate’s return and your involvement, and now this ill-timed offensive strike from the Republic.
As matters stand, I will not be sending any further resources as they would ultimately assist Vitiate in his mad goal. I have full confidence in your ability to work with Beniko and her people toward a solution.
I will monitor the situation, and will contact you directly should the need for drastic measures become absolute.

Saresh has her forces all over New Adasta. Some of them are possessed now. Made a real mess.
Are you talking about her now, or you?
Let’s keep on target. Doesn’t matter how bad things get. We have to put an end to Vitiate’s plan.

This is Lana. Agent Kovach may have been hurt, possibly worse. I haven’t heard from him, and his tracker’s off.
It’s almost like the clean-cut spy doesn’t want you to know what he’s doing. What a surprising twist.

Well. That looks promising.

Click for Video

Oh. It is going to be so hard not to tell Darth Marr “I told you so” later.
Maybe it’s not what it looks like, my lord?
And maybe Darth Baras really didn’t put you on my team to spy on me.
Point taken.

The time for hand-wringing ended when you shut down the Orbital Defense Command Center, Agent.
With respect, you haven’t seen what I have on the ground. The power the Emperor holds--
I’m aware, Agent. Now, if you have a report on Sith Intelligence or the SIS, we can talk. But you will not tell me how to fight a war.

I know it looks bad. Okay, it is bad.
But listen, I have a plan to stall Vitiate’s progress--at least for a while. It requires that we work together. Let me help you.

… and that’s the plan.
The whole plan?
The whole plan.

Okay, I’ve placed the dampeners on manual. I’ll be controlling them while you alter the makeup of the grid.
Once it’s all set, we’ll put a shock into every living thing in New Adasta. Then we’ll figure out what’s next.

Finally heard from Agent Kovach. He says you’re working together on a solution.
It’s not a final solution, but it may buy us time.
More and more of our forces have fallen to Vitiate. It’s spreading beyond the city now, along with the war. There must be an end to this.
Excuse me. My attention is needed elsewhere. Everywhere.

Okay, that’s enough. Any more and it’s the dampeners that will take the brunt of the surge.
All that’s left is to disable the system failsafe.
I respect Lana Beniko--sincerely. But the Empire enslaves and slaughters innocent people every day, and I respect common decency more.

I hope you understand.

We’ve been calling them Monoliths.

We’ve seen several of those creatures appearing throughout New Adasta. They’re made from Sith alchemy. A sign of Vitiate’s growing power.
Extremely strong, next to impossible to kill. The one you just defeated is the smallest we’ve come across.
Bullshit, they all use exactly the same model.

It’s bigger than before.
It’s a Sith creation. A smart Sith would never make something they couldn’t kill. It must have a weakness, something a Jedi can’t do.

Captain. How critical is that power junction?
I have no idea.

Click for Video

Lights are still on. That’s a good sign. Holo-emitters and cameras are fried, that’s not.

Plan’s over. Scrapped. Some giant thing tore through a junction, caused an electrical surge. Dampeners are shot.

Absolutely wasn’t me using a power junction to kill one.

No. Now, how could I have been so blind?
Lana, we still have a problem to solve.
Yes, of course. And I may have found a solution. I doubt you’ll like it.
I’m listening.
War has broken out across the globe. Our former Emperor, however, has limited his involvement to the area around New Adasta--near you.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence. It’s possible he isn’t as strong as he’s been letting on. It’s possible he’s worried about what you could do.
It’s possible he’s bored and finds my attempts to stop him entertaining.
It was always going to lead to this. Let him come for me.
I’m going to suggest something a little more proactive, actually.

So, I have to ‘Fansy’ him into the middle of the city.
Basically, yes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is that possessed jedi a cathar or a human? I can't tell.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
She's a human with Goku hair.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
What happens if you spare the agent instead of going Darth Vader on him?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

radintorov posted:

What happens if you spare the agent instead of going Darth Vader on him?

You instead force him to confess and Lana tells you to kill him. You can tell him to run away instead of doing it which pisses her off and still removes him from the story.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Okay, I’ve placed the dampeners on manual. I’ll be controlling them while you alter the makeup of the grid.
Once it’s all set, we’ll put a shock into every living thing in New Adasta. Then we’ll figure out what’s next.

Dampeners? Wait, of course! He was planning to make everything wet so the electricity would be conducted better. That actually makes some kind of sense!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

And presumably if you're a Republic character, you'll be more inclined to let the Agent off the hook since he's on your side.

That infiltrator seems like a big missed opportunity, unless there's something else about him coming up later. One of the uniting threads for cooperation between the Republic and the Empire so far, here and on Yavin, was that the Emperor was fuelling conflicts and feeding on the deaths to regain his strength and the more level-headed people on both sides had to set aside their differences to deal with him. The source of the conflict on Yavin was the Emperor manipulating Revan and his cult into causing the very conflict the Emperor needed to escape, so the natural next step here on Ziost would be the Emperor driving the Republic and the Empire against each other for the same purpose, especially those on both sides who'd allied against him.

The Republic spy could be a flashpoint (not a dungeon, the other meaning) for tensions between Republic and Imperial characters working together, with the Emperor's planet-wide influence encouraging their mistrust. Sparing the agent could be cast as "this is what the Emperor wants, us killing each other!" and the whole thing could be a tidy little microcosm of the whole problem facing the Empire and Republic at the moment. Instead I'm not sure what to make of it aside from well here's a guy you can kill.

Thanks for including that screenshot of the dialogue with Theron, by the way, because I honestly thought you'd written that yourself at first.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Thanks for including that screenshot of the dialogue with Theron, by the way, because I honestly thought you'd written that yourself at first.

It's one of the rare instances where Mort says anything in the overworld. So of course he's calling Theron out for being a dumbass.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

The city areas of Ziost are probably some of my favorite ares in the game as far as interesting visuals or atmosphere go.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I always felt that Imperial traitor deserved to die, I get that he is against the Imperial practices but you don't start working for the other side in a war that just calls for a death sentence. Plus the Republic has its own problems.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

You instead force him to confess and Lana tells you to kill him. You can tell him to run away instead of doing it which pisses her off and still removes him from the story.

Or you just don't mention it at all, and he gets put on support duty somewhere you're not.

The republic player's excuse to kill him is that he's working for Saresh, rather than just Theron as he tells you the moment Lana is out of earshot. It still seems out of character for most of them, as Saresh- while troublesome - isn't your enemy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Honestly killing someone who you a) have near constant direct access to and b) feeds information directly to the top leader of your biggest enemy seems like it would be a criminal waste in the spy game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not like Saresh is even listening to him at this point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Go go good team!

Yeah, I know it's inaccurate, but "galaxy not being devoured by the Emperor team" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Go go Team Common Sense! That's how you can describe most of them really at this point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 34: A Plan So Stupid It Might Just Work

My lord, I don’t think you should be using that so close to the--

Click for Video

--door.

Well, it worked. That’s really all I care about.

Freeze, Jedi! Space Police!
Was that necessary, my lord?

Those helmets were criminal.

Before we go ahead with this, you and I should talk--in person. I’ll see you shortly.

Y’know, in retrospect I think I feel pretty bad for anyone whose secondary job title is ‘non-essential personnel’

Click for Video

Are you in position?
Yeah, but this setup isn’t anything like what you described.

We’re about to begin, so that would be nice.

When the time comes, you’ll lead him to an electrostatic weapon stored here, in the heart of New Adasta.
Which we just have and no one has seen fit to mention to me before.
It’s meant to be a last resort against major civil uprisings, but Theron’s modifying it to be non-lethal. With the reduced charge, its radius of impact will diminish.

But you barely did anything.
Precisely. This isn’t my style, I think I have him more intrigued than angry. He’ll come, if only to see what I’ve cooked up for him.

I have to go now. There’s much to be done. Too much. I shouldn’t have come here, truth be told.

Careful, Quinn. We just stepped onto the set of an Aliens movie.
Hey. That was… awkward. Not as bad as my previous chat with her, believe it or not.
You two should just kiss already.
Look, I know killing Jedi is kind of a thing for you, but the Sixth Line…. It’s because of me they’re here in the first place.
If you could find some way--any way at all--just… please, help them. Don’t do the other thing.

The irony of this situation does not escape me.
My lord?

In order to attempt Lana’s plan to destroy the Emperor, without him we would be unable to continue.

And of course, without the Emperor to support me, I’ll find my own way to succeed.

Click for Video

Do I seem thick to you? You know precisely what I’m doing. That’s why you’re here.

Haa-oh. They’re both silvers. That fight took less than thirty seconds.

I bet I have your full attention now.

Hey, Theron, I didn’t kill your idiot Jedi commandos.

Should be enough to zap anyone in range into a nice, long, involuntary nap.
Should be? Theron, I don’t know how much you know about electricity, but anything that makes a big visible arc of white-hot plasma can’t really be classified as “nonlethal.”
Hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all solution. Lots of guesswork involved. Wish there was some way we could do a test run.
They’ve got to be closing in.
Then come on. We need to be shielded.

Did--did you win this from Master Chief?

No, seriously. When do the Flood get here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Good to go back to the classics of lightside Sith really pissing the NPCs off.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I love that of course an Imperial world already has a system set up to fry the entire population at a moment's notice...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I swear the lightside sith path is just so freaking satisfying.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I love that of course an Imperial world already has a system set up to fry the entire population at a moment's notice...

Really, my only problem with that notion thematically is that I refuse to believe that it could exist for more than three years before *some* Sith or other learns about it and concludes that the ability to electrocute an entire planet's population with a single button push is just too beautiful not to use, and zap.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's less a 'zap the whole planet' and more a 'zap the area immediately surrounding the central government building.' Which I'm certain has happened more than once. "By Accident."

It's why Vitiate has to be lured in rather than just setting the thing off and frying all of New Adasta.

But hey, at least now you know why the Empire loves putting metal floors everywhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I suppose proper Sith Lords shoot people with lightning that comes out of their hands, not lightning that comes out of machines?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lana was mad that her assistant turned out to be a Republic agent. So instead, she went to get more reliable help... from a Republic agent. Who also seems totally cool with how the last agent ended up?

It's also a little late (okay, way late) for Theron to start asking you to spare people Vitiate controlled. Sure, you didn't kill those particular Jedi, but you waded through who knows how many on your way there anyway, none of whom the Emperor felt needed to give you a little "yes, kill me!" speech beforehand.

I know the MMO format isn't the best for this but once they introduced that you could knock people out with electricity to shake off Vitiate, it's hard to go back to just killing them left and right again. They could've at least gone the low-effort way of having some throwaway dialogue where Lana or Theron asks you to pull your punches from now on and if you agree it's just implied that all the randoms you're fighting are "knocked out" instead of "dead", and if they cared to inject some tension into affairs they could give you some kind of electro-shock quest item that "knocks out" enemies with low health then throw in some judgy dialogue at the end about whether you went Full Pacifist or screwed up with an AoE attack and killed some folks.

There's some potential with Ziost but it really feels like it needed another coat of writing polish and a bit more development effort.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Theron may work for the Republic, but he's honest about it, he's passingly competent, and he's good at putting his personal stuff aside while he works on the situation at hand.

Also he and Lana wish they could have hate-sex.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just one or two posts gets us to a new page, and the next update's a big one.

Edit: Just for the sake of comparison:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Too bad the Bounty Hunter story was left hanging. I like that story.

• Locked thread