Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I like the inability to connect "well Green Party doesn't want to ignore constituents who feeeeel that [insert anti-vax/Jews did 9-11/killer wifi beams/Assad did nothing wrong here]" with the Green Party's devastating unpopularity with 99% of the public.

Right?

How loving hard was it that the best vice president they could find was a raging antisemitie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

And this thread is off to a great start with this pair of amazing posts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So close yet so far away to November 8th

Mixodorian posted:

Alright. I missed out on changing equipment reporting standards. The rest are just vague platitudes to my eyes. What will be the extent of the DOJ's involvement into civil rights cases? If a black man gets killed and had a legal gun like we've seen, will that be considered for federal investigation?

If Jill stein had to come up with her own ideas for reform, I'm sure they wouldn't be great. However, she endorses Campaign Zero which is certainly the best feasible set of plans for the US's problem that I've seen. I would vote on her just to see that implemented.

I also preferred Bernies strongly worded "automatic DOJ investigation if someone is killed by police" much, much better

Hillary's plans and ideas are pretty much exactly in line with what Campaign Zero wants though?

If you think they are platitudes that's like fine, as that's probably just how you feel. But I'm sorry that she didn't ever specifically name drop them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Caros posted:

Right?

How loving hard was it that the best vice president they could find was a raging antisemitie?
Well it would seem there is a re-emergent strand of Jew-hatred in the Republicans, maybe that's the next Green Party target demo

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
7 more days to being free of The Orange Man.

I lurk this thread pretty frequently, and I can barely remember what it looks like under normal circumstances anymore.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Harik posted:

Hey missed this on the last page. So much to unpack:

Iran isn't bombing anyone. They're not even flying over Syria. They've sent military GROUND support both directly and via hezbollah, but they have no air presense.
The US is flying over Syria to bomb ISIS, and that won't stop.
Assad is flying over Syria, dropping barrel bombs on civilians.
Russia is flying over Syria, dropping real bombs on basically everyone except ISIS.

Thank you. Said it better than I ever could.

Mixodorian, now that you have a clear answer to your confused-yet-easily-googled question about a Syrian NFZ, how has your position changed?

Also, what kinda folks you been talking to? All the Syrians ive ever had the nerve to discuss the subject with have wanted the US to do more to stop Assad.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jesus I'm not sure I can do eight solid years of people raging against the concept of incremental progress.

I won't be one of those people, I'm not raging. I just find it fascinating that Hillary is flawless/her flaws are inconsequential to so many people. Maybe we should've picked her over Obama in 2008, considering we are getting killed in the streets and not much has changed.

Dexo posted:

So close yet so far away to November 8th

Hillary's plans and ideas are pretty much exactly in line with what Campaign Zero wants though?

If you think they are platitudes that's like fine, as that's probably just how you feel. But I'm sorry that she didn't ever specifically name drop them.

There are extremely substantial differences between what Campaign Zero outlines and what Hillary has outlined. Campaign detail actually outlines specifics, as well. Don't make it out like I'm unsatisfied over a name drop, that's hosed.

An example would be ending the police seizure of people's property. I live in the Bronx. Do you know how many bodegas get raided and have all their poo poo stolen by the police without reason?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

I won't be one of those people, I'm not raging. I just find it fascinating that Hillary is flawless/her flaws are inconsequential to so many people. Maybe we should've picked her over Obama in 2008, considering we are getting killed in the streets and not much has changed.

There are extremely substantial differences between what Campaign Zero outlines and what Hillary has outlined. Campaign detail actually outlines specifics, as well. Don't make it out like I'm unsatisfied over a name drop, that's hosed.

An example would be ending the police seizure of people's property. I live in the Bronx. Do you know how many bodegas get raided and have all their poo poo stolen by the police without reason?

Well man, if you're not raging people aren't calling Hillary flawless either. Do you really need to do the bad relationship "I just think it's funny how..." distancing from your own opinions to come out with them? We're in the last week of the election, the stakes are high, and her presidency hasn't even started yet. Forgive us if no one feels like arguing policy with someone who hasn't even read up on what Hillary's policies are for her presidency she hasn't even won yet.

And you're doing the frustratingly common layman politics thing of thinking everything we do in this country goes through the executive branch. Police seizure is a big thing, but the president doesn't have jack poo poo to do with it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Yeah unless you think any decision to vote for her is saying she's flawless full-stop I do not think there is a single person saying that? Laughably preferable to any available alternative != flawless by any means.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Yeah unless you think any decision to vote for her is saying she's flawless full-stop I do not think there is a single person saying that? Laughably preferable to any available alternative != flawless by any means.

"You guys keep arguing against drinking the bleach, no-one is making a case for the orange juice."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mixodorian posted:

I just find it fascinating that Hillary is flawless/her flaws are inconsequential to so many people.

Hmm, what events and ongoing political context of the past year+ might have led so many people, including vocal critics of Clinton, to decide that her flaws are less important now? HMMMM nope, can't think of anything.

There was deserved criticism of Obama from the left, and there will be even more of Clinton. As TB pointed out, it's deuced odd for you to worry a liberal president won't get enough static (much less a woman, much less one named "Clinton").

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

presidency hasn't even started yet.

It won't. I can't wait for Donald Trump to get elected next week so he can appoint a special prosecutor to lock up Crooked Hillary and Sick Willy for good!!

Reminder that the posters in this thread spent 4 hours bashing a transgender person with transphobic slurs yesterday for suggesting the mentally ill conspiracy theory that maybe you shouldn't fly off the lid & demonize anyone who makes a slightly racist comment.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey let's all make a commitment to not quoting the stupid loving trolling idiot in this thread please. I don't know what he said, nor do I wish to. Pls respect my choices

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Clinton's inner circle knew FIVE YEARS AGO that Anthony Weiner was messaging an underage girl on Twitter - but did nothing about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3890748/Clinton-s-inner-circle-knew-FIVE-YEARS-AGO-Anthony-Weiner-talking-underage-girl-did-it.html

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Well man, if you're not raging people aren't calling Hillary flawless either. Do you really need to do the bad relationship "I just think it's funny how..." distancing from your own opinions to come out with them? We're in the last week of the election, the stakes are high, and her presidency hasn't even started yet. Forgive us if no one feels like arguing policy with someone who hasn't even read up on what Hillary's policies are for her presidency she hasn't even won yet.

And you're doing the frustratingly common layman politics thing of thinking everything we do in this country goes through the executive branch. Police seizure is a big thing, but the president doesn't have jack poo poo to do with it.

Well I did have some posters excuse her for saying the rise of autism might be linked to vaccines which amazed me. It's not funny, it's just anxiety inducing.

I get it though, I've been of the mind that Hillary can't lose to Trump and should be more understanding that people are still worried.

I am well aware that the president doesn't get to dictate how the police operate, just as the president can't equip police with body cameras but only propose budgets that would allow matching the departments on the cost.

I just feel like if you're going to come to the Apollo and say racial justice for black Americans will be the mission of your presidency, and we can hold her feet to the fire on that, she'd have a little bit more in mind than what she has let on so far. This being after the rent on my mother and grandmother's shared apartment near 145th went up after the Clinton Foundation decided to set up shop in Harlem.

Either way, despite being safe to vote for Jill Stein in NY, I'm most likely voting for Hillary just to run up the score on Trump. My mother isn't going to vote though, she gave up on Hillary after seeing the video of her giving lip to that young Haitian(?) girl about "if you don't like it, run yourself" way back during the primaries.

e: thanks for the actual serious responses though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's the last week. :toxx: for Trump or shut the gently caress up time.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

themrguy posted:

"You guys keep arguing against drinking the bleach, no-one is making a case for the orange juice."

I would say that right now Mixodorian is a man apoplectically scrabbling to get the child safety cap off the Draino because he wanted no-pulp but the store only had low-pulp, actually.

Oh lord the trumpen-polenta showed back up

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 1, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Hey let's all make a commitment to not quoting the stupid loving trolling idiot in this thread please. I don't know what he said, nor do I wish to. Pls respect my choices

"please guys don't bash the tranny this time so we don't look like a bunch of hypocrite bigots ready to lash out at any moment"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

That's... not entirely true. The easiest seizure laws are federal, and have to be done by the feds. There's a kickback scheme to the local department that brings it to their attention. As such, all the civil forfeiture that runs through the DoJ could be shut down by the president in a number of ways - asking them to de-prioritize, to demand more evidence before going to trial, or just to look for racial bias in the incoming cases before going forward with them.

I don't think the president can directly block the kickback scheme, since that's via the 1984 Comprehensive Crime Control Act.

The president does have some options here, but there's the ~optics~ of not being Tough On (minority) Crime.

I might be wrong about this, and I expect one of our resident lawgoons will blast me for it if I am, but that's my understanding of the current CAF arrangements.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Yes, but a lot of the time, defenses of Clinton itt seem very unconditional, and attacks on everyone not completely in the Clinton camp are not fair. I think we basically all hope for her to end up in the White House and be decent, but people often respond t any dissent in a very unbecoming way.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mixodorian posted:

This being after the rent on my mother and grandmother's shared apartment near 145th went up after the Clinton Foundation decided to set up shop in Harlem.

So she shouldn't have set up in Harlem? Is the Clinton Foundation directly responsible for rent pricing in NYC or something? Is this something you see as a legit grievance or are you just saying poo poo

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Pat Caddell, Jimmy Carter's pollster in 1980, said today that "the Carter campaign knew the weekend before that Reagan was going to win in a landslide. Same thing now, except that Reagan won 39 states in 1980. Trump is going to carry at least 40."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mixodorian posted:

Handling Forfeiture is in the Dem's platform.

Hillary hasn't specifically mentioned anything about it(because this election has been trash along with the debates for actually having good policy talk) . I'm fairly confident that Hillary isn't going to come out as pro forfeiture laws.

Honestly Forfeiture laws are something she could probably get bipartisan support over as a number of GOP lawmakers also hate those dumb laws.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Didn't Holder limit federal forfeiture in some way last year?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Pat Caddell, Jimmy Carter's pollster in 1980, said today that "the Carter campaign knew the weekend before that Reagan was going to win in a landslide. Same thing now, except that Reagan won 39 states in 1980. Trump is going to carry at least 40."
What's with the bold

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemming posted:

Didn't Holder limit federal forfeiture in some way last year?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/federal-eye/wp/2015/03/31/holder-announces-new-limits-on-civil-asset-forfeitures/

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Cingulate posted:

What's with the bold

emphasis on the part that's true

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Oh sweet the Freepers back.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate, posters telling you that looking in from outside as a eurokid circa 2003 your grasp of the US media environment and internal political pressures is not in fact an unimpeachable reflection of soberly-derived consideration that any US pol could have been reasonably held to, is not unconditional criticism, or an attack. It is a very specific explanation of why you were wrong on that count.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sure it's been said already but I love this thread title. It's perfect for the series finale.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Is corn man trolling or is he an actual Trumpenstaffel?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Oh sweet the Freepers back.

Good strategy, demonize anyone who doesn't agree with you by throwing labels at them. That worked out really well for you guys bashed a trans woman with racist, sexist, transphobic comments & intentional misgendering for 30 pages because they didn't agree with your political views yesterday.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
FART.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

"please guys don't bash the tranny this time so we don't look like a bunch of hypocrite bigots ready to lash out at any moment"

Please, don't use the t-word. You're clearly more comfortable with being called a toaster so you should stick with that.

I must admit, though, that I have a hard time believing your gender identity is real when you are so clearly just using it as a club to support comparing people to inanimate objects. I mean, maybe you are transexual AND an rear end in a top hat, but I'm more willing to believe you're just the latter.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Good strategy, demonize anyone who doesn't agree with you by throwing labels at them. That worked out really well for you guys bashed a trans woman with racist, sexist, transphobic comments & intentional misgendering for 30 pages because they didn't agree with your political views yesterday.

Na I just demonize people who post on freep.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I guess, indeed, "check out sex tape"

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/793310080699658240

quote:

Ex-spy claims Russia filmed Trump in an orgy in Moscow. Would be in a tradition of blackmail predating even the KGB

(not buying this one, too much even for this loving election)

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

themrguy posted:

Is corn man trolling or is he an actual Trumpenstaffel?

You know that instantly associating Trump supporters with nazi-ism is the exact same thought process that makes white supremacists associate blacks with violent crime, except at least one of them has a basis in factual data?

White supremacists are horrible, but even their views have more merit than the disgusting hate you spread.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

Well I did have some posters excuse her for saying the rise of autism might be linked to vaccines which amazed me. It's not funny, it's just anxiety inducing.
The gently caress? You've been defending Jill Stein.

Mixodorian posted:

e: thanks for the actual serious responses though.
And piss off with this smarmy bullshit.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

You know that instantly associating Trump supporters with nazi-ism is the exact same thought process that makes white supremacists associate blacks with violent crime, except at least one of them has a basis in factual data?

White supremacists are horrible, but even their views have more merit than the disgusting hate you spread.

:lol:

gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

please stop taking the bait on obvious trolls. There is plenty of less blatant trolls to eat bait from.

• Locked thread