Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

This week the Zyuohgers fought and killed a monster that was literally just Carnival Mode from Kyoryuger.

I love Zyuohger, guys.

It really is just an absurdly enjoyable show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The most depressing thing about toku is trying to find translations for songs. Going through Shinkenger songs, I've mostly failed, or found very stiff and weirdly-worded ones for the few that actually do have translations on the internet.

We really need a team dedicated exclusively to song translations, guys. Form a Translation Sentai Songer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

The most depressing thing about toku is trying to find translations for songs. Going through Shinkenger songs, I've mostly failed, or found very stiff and weirdly-worded ones for the few that actually do have translations on the internet.

We really need a team dedicated exclusively to song translations, guys. Form a Translation Sentai Songer.

Need someone to make karaoke cds for translated toku and anime songs, honestly I'm actually surprised there isn't someone making those already, they'd make a ton of money at anime conventions if they existed

Still remember the time I found out my friend's parents' karaoke machine had the Getter Robo theme song on it for some reason

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Has anyone caught the first Super Doubutsu Taisen special yet? It's only available through TVN at the moment, but I watched it on a whim and it's actually really funny. Plus the ending foreshadows an amazing second part.

If anything it's worth it just for this exchange-

Sela: "If there's an AkaRed, then there must be an AoBlue!"
AkaRed: "No! There is no AoBlue. It's AkaBlue!"
Zyuohgers: "..."

Jealoushitto is great as always, though man is his suit getting rough.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It really is just an absurdly enjoyable show.

I remember thinking the Blood Game was some insidious thing where aliens toyed with human lives for sport. And then it became a not really harmful sumo match.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I appreciate that they're trying to give Emu a personality, but he's still squeaky-voiced-Eiji to me right now.

At least with the the CEO is actually a BAD GUY :airquote: twist :airquote: (c'mon, it's a pretty short list) out of the way early, there's still plenty of time for the story to careen off into something actually interesting. Maybe the actors will settle into their roles a little more and stop acting like cliches.

Or maybe we'll never have another secondary rider as good as Date again. :sigh:

I mean, I really want to like Ex-Aid and I'm going to keep watching, but the seams are starting to show. For an aesthetic this goofy, the show seems really shy about letting itself actually have any fun. Even Poppy feels shoe-horned and market-tested and paint-by-the-numbers.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oh good, they're weaving in a completely hosed up web of relationships in Ex-Aid. This series is so much better than it has any right to be so far.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

I appreciate that they're trying to give Emu a personality, but he's still squeaky-voiced-Eiji to me right now.

Squeaky-voiced Eiji is still a gigantic step forward from Takeru. I'm sure we can agree on that. Also I don't agree the series doesn't let itself have fun, if anything, it's been really fun so far! I'm enjoying Ex-Aid and I hope it doesn't become terrible later on.

That said, this episode...the writer and choreographer weren't really sure of how to handle everything, were they? Beyond the incredibly obvious "twist" of Genm's real identity (company shares the same name as Rider? Clearly lying to the protagonists? Way too pretty to not have a major role? Please) there were a lot of threads that didn't accomplish much or were dealt with illogically. The Gekitotsu Robots Bugster is not explained (was the game bugged and created its own monster? That's totally different from the rest of the Bugsters so far) and seemed to exist only so that Emu could get his Level 3 form, since he was dealt with in a very anticlimactic way and overall didn't accomplish anything that Level 3 Genm couldn't have done alone.

Ex-Aid vs Genm specifically had a lot of problems which I couldn't ignore. Suddenly, Graphite stops doing poo poo and leaves for no reason. Gekitotsu Robots stops moving entirely so he can be an easy target for Emu, he never adds to the fight. The beaten-up Riders step back and no one tries to do poo poo to them, despite how the Bugsters seemed to want to end their game before. And the Level 3 fight was beyond sloppy, suddenly Genm goes from a very real threat (which he had been even at equal Level 2s before) to an absolute joke the moment Ex-Aid levels up, to the point of standing there and taking a Critical Strike instead of trying to dodge, defend himself, anything. It better have been on purpouse because that was a really weak finisher to that fight.

Despite those comments I did like the episode. The whole thing with wanting to save everyone/not everyone deserving to be saved reminded me favourably of Drive's own questionings of whether everyone deserves protection. Kiriya lying through his teeth is very in-character, if easy to call out, so I'm not surprised he's keeping that big of a detail on him - we know he's willing to use anything to his advantage, so he'll likely use that data to get stuff from Genm Corp. the same way he got his Driver and Gashat. Snipe levelling down for the bullet move looked great.

Please keep being good, Ex-Aid.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Also, I'm not sure what it's like in Japan, but in the US it's a major ethical breach to deny medical care to somebody on the basis that they are a criminal. I mean like, nobody in the general populace cares unless it makes the news, but by the books you're really not supposed to, for example, delay medical care for a prisoner's leg injury to the point that it permanently cripples him.

So, yeah, I found Brave's medical professional opinion of "Well I guess he can just turn into a monster and cease to exist unless he tells us where the loot he stole from our partner corporation is" pretty disturbing.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Everyone in this show is an rear end in a top hat. You've got gamer rage rear end in a top hat as our main protagonist, stuck-up rear end in a top hat as his sidekick, sleazy rear end in a top hat and just plain rear end in a top hat as the up and coming rivals, then there's evil rear end in a top hat, evil monster rear end in a top hat and lying two faced rear end in a top hat on the other side.... then there's that loving pink rear end in a top hat and bug-eyed rear end in a top hat as the comic relief/support team.

It's awesome watching them be assholes to each other. I welcome Kamen Rider Pissy Bitch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghost was a boring story where everyone meant well, even the villains. ex-aid is thus far a story where exactly 1/2 of a person means well and everyone else is a dick.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ghost was a boring story where everyone meant well, even the villains. ex-aid is thus far a story where exactly 1/2 of a person means well and everyone else is a dick.

I'd say this is hilariously accurate.

Probably poppy/sauna means well but she's ... whatever she is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, autocorrect. :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just think it is rad how the characters have so much room to grow and change. there is a lot of potential here, and who knows? the show might even use some of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would you say these humans have infinite potential?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just think it is rad how the characters have so much room to grow and change. there is a lot of potential here, and who knows? the show might even use some of it.

I just love that there's wires all over. wire stunts are the best kind

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tangents posted:

I just love that there's wires all over. wire stunts are the best kind

counterpoint: ghost's base form

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

everything aside the final attack of launching the robot fist and then punching it is super cool

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Parallax posted:

everything aside the final attack of launching the robot fist and then punching it is super cool

It's just about the most VIDEOGAMES! thing so far. His finishing move is a quick time event.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

deadly_pudding posted:

It's just about the most VIDEOGAMES! thing so far. His finishing move is a quick time event.

So will the final fights reach Platinum levels of crazy, or Asura's Wrath levels?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Brave looks to be gearing up to go from Dragon Quest to Crypt of the Necrodancer from the preview since he's getting the Rhythm game Gashat
Snipe is going from FPS to Combat Flight Sim assuming his next one is a Gradius-like
Lazer is gonna get a beat-'em-up game and idk of a motocross game crossed with a beat-'em-um

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he could always switch the order so that he doesn't turn into a motorcycle

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

Brave looks to be gearing up to go from Dragon Quest to Crypt of the Necrodancer from the preview since he's getting the Rhythm game Gashat

I wonder if he's gonna get some kinda special combo power with Poppy. She seems to be a rhythm genre... uh, entity.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's kind of a shame Kamen Rider Genm's identity was completely obvious. If the CEO had been more of a character before this episode, being personally involved and helping the CR out, then I feel like the reveal would have had more impact. He was in past episodes, but only briefly, so for him to have a bigger role in this episode as well as his speech to Emu just kind of showed that he's a major character, and since Genm's identity was an important plot point that meant he couldn't just be some random dude they hadn't seen before. He had to be someone that the audience knew already, and the CEO was the only possible choice.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/Protoman/status/794653767325061120

woo boy...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's safe to say at this point that the new PR movie is going to be (Hunger Games/Divergent/Maze Runner/etc)+Transformers

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I am enjoying ex-aid so far but I wash the female lead was just Asuna and that they would drop the Poppy personality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think everyone wishes that. asuna barely has any characterization to begin with and then she also has to split all her time on screen with her awful pink alter ego.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poppy is pure sugar and over-done idol nonsense, but she grew on me a lot after watching the Poppy's Room specials on TVN. She's still not much of a character but she's really cute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wakka wakka

https://twitter.com/toei_EXAID/status/794688310220189697

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care about EX Aid

But I don't need to learn anything else about this show, that design is amazing and I want it to be the main character

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's Dr. Pacman, the villain of the new movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

He's Dr. Pacman, the villain of the new movie.

GOOD

I'M GLAD

KAMEN RIDER DOCTOR PACMAN

LET'S DO THIS

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/794679992059727872
This is what the toy looks like. This is something they think is good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair I appreciate that it actually looks like something that could be portrayed by a dude in a suit.

That's about the only thing I like about it but it at least captures that element.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I appreciate that it actually looks like something that could be portrayed by a dude in a suit.

That's about the only thing I like about it but it at least captures that element.

I've seen multiple people saying this but I don't really get it bc most every zord I can think of is way boxier and less humanoid looking than that thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It looks more like power armor than a mech.

Like...this is the least inspired Garo.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if someone told me it was hollywood's ultraman i'd probably believe that over it being the megazord

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parallax posted:

I've seen multiple people saying this but I don't really get it bc most every zord I can think of is way boxier and less humanoid looking than that thing

It looks like a design where I could imagine it being acted out by a guy in a suit, as opposed to Transformers which are being so pure CGI.

It's probably going to be pure CGI but it at least looks like an actual sentai suit. Not a ZORD suit but if you told me this was some villain from a crappier sentai season I could buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
can I say that looks terrible, can I have that opinion yet.

Bayformers worked really hard to look like they were at least something that turned into their alt mode and were made of piece of it. This neither works as an appeal to some kind of "lets be more realistic" or "lets make things cooler" because there is absolutely nothing cool about this.

• Locked thread