Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My goodness gracious I always take down barbs asap so I decided to let one go and holy poo poo he spawned like 4 cavalry and 3 horse archers (this was on Immortal). I've lost 3 times in a row trying to get the Immortal 4player Win. I guess it isn't possible to not pay attention to religion with such little players.

Rip me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just won my first Immortal game as Hojo. If it's any indication how weak the AI is, I was a Prince/occasional King player in Civ V. It was a weird game though, I didn't meet another AI civ until turn 163. That was partly my fault, because after 60 turns or so with no contact on a fractal map I kinda held back from exploring too far abroad because I was curious to see how long it'd take them to find me.

This was also the first time I used nukes. They're pretty overpowered, the AI doesn't seem to prioritize SAMs at all, and using nukes doesn't seem to carry any penalties besides the normal warmonger malus. Saladin was running away with the culture game because he had built almost nothing besides wonders (and didn't have any theater districts as far as I could tell, which I thought was really strange), so I nuked, captured, and razed two of his cities, destroying an obscene amount of world wonders in the process. After I did that it was just a matter of finishing the space race projects and I threw one last nuke at Cleopatra on the second to last turn just because she's always so mean to me.

Submarines are a little overpowered too. The AI is very fond of building missile cruisers and making armadas out of them, which is a very scary force, except that they can't see submarines that aren't in an adjacent hex. Since submarines can shoot from further away than that, all you have to do is hang back two hexes and shoot. If the AI doesn't have any immediate plans for the units you're shooting they will very likely just sit there and take it for the two or three turns it takes you to sink them. I even witnessed the AI armadas take a couple of shots from my subs, get enough experience to promote, heal up that 50 hp, and then sit there another two turns and just take the beating. Shameful.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Any tips on how you get the 5 eureka and/or inspirations boosts in a turn cheevo?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Khagan posted:

Any tips on how you get the 5 eureka and/or inspirations boosts in a turn cheevo?

There's at least one Scientist that gives you a Eureka boost for every tech in the Information era, and you could probably get it by beelining the Oxford University too. It's one of the more common achievements.

I don't think there's anything like that for civic boosts, probably just need to plan ahead so that you can trigger a bunch of them at once.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You could probably do something contrived with the Great Library. Spies also can be coordinated somewhat easily

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Khagan posted:

Should be easy enough if you plan for it. Kill two barbarians, then get in position with a slinger and a melee unit next to an encampment. Also make a builder and build two mines and put the builder in position over a hill. Then on the same turn, kill the encampment garrison with the slinger and take the encampment. That's three boosts: kill 3 barbs, kill a unit with a slinger and clear an encampment. Then build your 3rd mine, that's two more: have 3 mines and have 3 improvements.

All this can be done in the first like 30 turns of a game.

e: if your 3rd mine is over a resource that's another (mine a resource), for 3 total from that.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Would it help if I slowed the speed down to epic or marathon for the inspiration one?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Didn't realize MadDjinn started his Diety LP of Civ 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c9eXc78osY

Something interesting he mentions is that barbarian camps within 4(?) tiles of a horse resource are capable of spawning horsemen pretty much off the bat.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Harrow posted:

Finally bought this and going to start playing tomorrow.

Any beginner tips for someone really familiar with Civ V? I've heard barbarians are tougher to deal with this time around--anything I should do to make sure I don't get owned early by barbs?

When you feel you have built enough cities, keep building/conquering until you have at least twice as many.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Archers deal with barbarians on foot really well. A turn 10 rush of barbarian horsemen I'm not sure what I'd do about. Spears, I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

Archers deal with barbarians on foot really well. A turn 10 rush of barbarian horsemen I'm not sure what I'd do about. Spears, I guess.

Archers still do well with horsemen as long as you're not unbearably unlucky and get a spawn just as you kill the last one. Which does happen sometimes. I don't think I've ever built a spearman, even as Greece.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The spear bonus vs mounted isn't nearly as dramatic as it was in Civ 5 anyway, at least from what I can tell. I once got an unlucky spawn of two horsemen and they double-teamed my spearman defender I sent to intercept them right to death. That's what I get for assuming melee units have a use beyond being a meat shield for a ranged unit, I guess.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
What are the other buildings that Trajan's Column can give? It says it starts with Monuments but otherwise I can't find anywhere that says what and when it changes, if it does.

Speaking of which, Rome is fun as poo poo. Even just the starting culture boost from the beginning Monument doubles civic gain, so you can starting beating on barbs and getting a trade route earlier than anyone else. And pooping out settlers constantly helps you get a good amount of culture before anyone has access to Theater Districts. It's fun going super wide, building Commercial Districts everywhere, and having over a dozen routes at once giving massive boosts to your weaker cities.

Or it would be if trade routes weren't awkward to maintain and track. :argh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What are the other buildings that Trajan's Column can give? It says it starts with Monuments but otherwise I can't find anywhere that says what and when it changes, if it does.

On later starts, everyone's cities will start with buildings. Trajan's will start with an additional one. If you have an ancient start, it will always be monuments

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

That's what I get for assuming melee units have a use beyond being a meat shield for a ranged unit, I guess.

And here you assume that a melee unit would make a better meat shield than another ranged unit :smug:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just spend the early game massing slingers/archers to defend against the Barbarian hordes. Once I clear them out, I take my doomcarpet to my nearest neighbor and take all their cities. Then I sit back and work on infrastructure. I may be behind in science/culture in the early game, but the AI can't really snowball effectively, so I'm able to just use my army as a deterrent while I slingshot past everyone (except in Religion because gently caress that).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Away all Goats posted:

Didn't realize MadDjinn started his Diety LP of Civ 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c9eXc78osY

Something interesting he mentions is that barbarian camps within 4(?) tiles of a horse resource are capable of spawning horsemen pretty much off the bat.

The barbarians start with more advanced technology than anyone else.

Maybe... maybe we're the barbarians :ohdear:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

homullus posted:

You can completely eliminate animations. It's in the options. Diplomacy is much faster with them off.

Edit: if I recall, it's in the Advanced Options for graphics.

Good stuff thanks. Although I will miss how huffy and mopey some of the leaders get when you do something that annoys them.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Barbs are so weird to me in 6. They spawn more frequently, and with potentially more dangerous units, but they also don't enthusiastically pillage your improvements like they did in 5, and I've even goofed and exposed builders to them which they ignored. In 5, barbs were on a suicide mission to burn your farms but now they just kinda gather around and stare at you menacingly.

But yea, scout -> builder -> slinger or scout -> slinger -> builder if you see a barb scout early, and barbs are all but a minor nuisance.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Is it actually horses near the encampment that causes tons of horsemen / horse archers to spawn? I feel like one out of every four games I start I get overwhelmed by Mongols and pushed back into my city while they rampage through my borders unchecked. If that's the factor that would explain a lot.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Me and a friend are playing with AIs, he wiped out Tomyris' last city, then later liberated a city from Greece and resurrected the Scythians.

They were still at war, so he makes peace, but it keeps counting as 'At War'. Then when he wants to go kill her off to get rid of the annoyance, he finds out he can't attack and can't declare war. I had to help him by inviting him to a Joint War on Scythia.

In this game I also misclicked 'Pass' on Great Prophet, so now I gotta wait till someone else claims one. Why can you even pass on those?

My friend also claims a city with a boat will not get attacked by barbarians.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

nimby posted:

My friend also claims a city with a boat will not get attacked by barbarians.

They are a simple and superstitious folk.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fhqwhgads posted:

I just spend the early game massing slingers/archers to defend against the Barbarian hordes. Once I clear them out, I take my doomcarpet to my nearest neighbor and take all their cities. Then I sit back and work on infrastructure. I may be behind in science/culture in the early game, but the AI can't really snowball effectively, so I'm able to just use my army as a deterrent while I slingshot past everyone (except in Religion because gently caress that).

This is exactly how i play. I wanted to be more peaceful, but the barb ai and the frequent war declarations means you always need a massive army.

So when im not using it i take other towns. Basically every game is a domination race to beat the other victory types

Scyth are superior at this, so hard to play anyone else without feeling like im gimping myself.

More peaceful ai (or easier to satiate them) would be nice

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I assume that they will make archers more expensive and weaker at some point because I've been able to poo poo out 1 archer per turn with good starting locations. Maybe reintroduce the compound bowman step?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

eXXon posted:

I assume that they will make archers more expensive and weaker at some point because I've been able to poo poo out 1 archer per turn with good starting locations.

Statements like this don't mean much without you telling us what speed you're playing on.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Madcosby posted:

This is exactly how i play. I wanted to be more peaceful, but the barb ai and the frequent war declarations means you always need a massive army.

So when im not using it i take other towns. Basically every game is a domination race to beat the other victory types

Scyth are superior at this, so hard to play anyone else without feeling like im gimping myself.

More peaceful ai (or easier to satiate them) would be nice

I think that Germany is in the same tier as Scythia (so long as you aren't abusing the OP horse selling strat) if you want to branch out a bit. Just beeline apprenticeship, then industrialization. You become an economic powerhouse pretty quick with all those AoE production bonuses.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Decrepus posted:

I met a civ and after I closed the diplo screen we were already at war. Holy poo poo this game lol.

classic ghandi

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's interesting now that you can have a city hundreds of kilometers from the coast but if your border covers it and you build a harbour you can get boats.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

arbybaconator posted:

classic ghandi

If Gandhi declares war on you, do you still get war weariness at double speed?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What are the advantages to playing a different game speed? I've never done anything other than Standard in any civ game, and the default multiplayer speed for those.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

What are the advantages to playing a different game speed? I've never done anything other than Standard in any civ game, and the default multiplayer speed for those.

You can launch a military campaign on another continent without worrying that your force will be antiquated by the time they get there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rexides posted:

They are a simple and superstitious folk.

Lol

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Taear posted:

It's interesting now that you can have a city hundreds of kilometers from the coast but if your border covers it and you build a harbour you can get boats.

It works if you consider each district is a city in its own right and Civ VI cities are more like region/provinces/states/etc.

Edit: And it worked for Bremen :v:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 1, 2016

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like longer (Epic is as far as I go though, Marathon is too long) for domination victories since moving your troops is the same movment speed on any timeline, so they get there "faster"; i.e. not in a different era

Otherwise if youre going for anything tech/sci related I'd play standard or even shorter

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If it's anything like 5, the game is easier the longer the game you play. Longer games put more emphasis on military stuff, which is where the AI is weakest.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

How do corps/armies work? There is zero documentation anywhere.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What the hell is wrong with the AI when it comes to expanding?

Almost turn 300, king difficulty, I launch a satellite and reveal what the AI has built on the other continents:

What the gently caress? America, 4 cities. India, 4 cities. Greece, 2 cities. Egypt, 1 city. One. In 300 turns. So many fresh water city locations right next to the capitals of the AI, huge swathes of unsettled land. Just look at that minimap - it looks like the AI stopped playing on turn 30.

Something is very broken with the expansion AI, it feel like the only ones that were settling aggressively were the ones that started out next to me.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 1, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

How do corps/armies work? There is zero documentation anywhere.

To make a corps: Have 2 of the same unit. Move them next to each other and select one. There should be a button on the unit action bar that is two stars. Click on that button, then click on the other unit. The two units should merge into a single unit, with two stars on the unit flag, and somewhat higher combat strength (about +5-+15-ish, I can't recall off the top of my head). Armies work the same way, but you have to merge a lone unit into a corps.

If you have an encampment in a city, you can build corps and armies directly - the unit build section should have little dropdown arrows on the military units, which you can use to select corp production. Later encampment buildings also make this more efficient than building regular units and then merging them.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The barbarians start with more advanced technology than anyone else.

Maybe... maybe we're the barbarians :ohdear:

Not only do they start with more advanced technology, they stay ahead. I finished my first game last night with Gilgamesh and by the end I was popping barbarian encampments in the frozen wastelands on the edge of the map and they were sharing their knowledge of advanced composites with me. I started ignoring them around that point so I don't know if they can boost future tech, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xrunner posted:

Not only do they start with more advanced technology, they stay ahead. I finished my first game last night with Gilgamesh and by the end I was popping barbarian encampments in the frozen wasteland's on the edge of the map and they were sharing their knowledge of advanced composites with me.

I got rangers for the first time and was having a party, running around and exploring and loving thrashing any barbarians who got in my way. Then all of a sudden they had bazookas and mechanized infrantry. :saddowns: