Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can't for the life of my get Plex to recognize the MP4 of the Transformers Cartoon i downloaded from a purchase on Vimeo; any tips to getting it to recognize it?

What teagone said; specifically, have you tried manually matching it? I've had stuff that was found in multiple databases but Plex couldn't make the match (think things that have common, reused titles, remakes, etc.), so the data may be there, you just have to nudge Plex in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Plex is having more issues; it randomly says a moment after starting that the connection isn't fast enough, then works perfectly next time I try. Nothing has changed in the setup :/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

iajanus posted:

Plex is having more issues; it randomly says a moment after starting that the connection isn't fast enough, then works perfectly next time I try. Nothing has changed in the setup :/

I was helping a friend troubleshoot this last week. It was something recent with Windows update. He rolled back and it worked fine.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I have a Samsung Smart TV with Plex built in. It works great 90% of the time, but when I loose my internet (gently caress you uverse), I can no longer connect to my server - I still have wifi, can see the server on the network, the only thing that can't happen is a connection to the outside.

It really seems like this is a client issue (and the app on the smart tv seems old and unconfigurable), but I thought I'd ask to see anyone knew of a work-around. Also, I can still use my iPad to watch stuff when the internet is down.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

porktree posted:

I have a Samsung Smart TV with Plex built in. It works great 90% of the time, but when I loose my internet (gently caress you uverse), I can no longer connect to my server - I still have wifi, can see the server on the network, the only thing that can't happen is a connection to the outside.

It really seems like this is a client issue (and the app on the smart tv seems old and unconfigurable), but I thought I'd ask to see anyone knew of a work-around. Also, I can still use my iPad to watch stuff when the internet is down.

You can specify network segments on the server to allow for "unauthenticated access", so just put your LAN segment in there (probably 192.168.1.0/24 ).

Edit: Go to Settings, Network, Show Advanced then:

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 19, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the tips guys ill take a look

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Moey posted:

You can specify network segments on the server to allow for "unauthenticated access", so just put your LAN segment in there (probably 192.168.1.0/24 ).

I'd also like to note that inputting this address under 'LAN Networks' on the same settings page fixed the issue where the Chromecasts on my local network were being affected by the new remote restriction options.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Moey posted:

Awesome, thanks. The 0/24 is specifying all addresses in the 192.168.1 subnet?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

porktree posted:

Awesome, thanks. The 0/24 is specifying all addresses in the 192.168.1 subnet?

Yeah it's CIDR shorthand for the netmask/subnet size:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classless_Inter-Domain_Routing

/24 is everything in 192.168.1.x since it's 24 bits from the left.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The PBS channel doesn't work any more on my PS4. It works fine on the web client and through the Amazon Fire. Is there anything I can do other than wait for Plex to un-break their PS4 client in a year?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Any of you guys know why Plex might randomly abort nearly half of my recordings? I thought it might be a licensing issue like how I can't access HBO through my HDHR, but there are some shows that record perfectly fine one day then immediately abort the next. I did a quick google search and didn't see anything promising, just a few generic FAQ's.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Inspector 34 posted:

Any of you guys know why Plex might randomly abort nearly half of my recordings? I thought it might be a licensing issue like how I can't access HBO through my HDHR, but there are some shows that record perfectly fine one day then immediately abort the next. I did a quick google search and didn't see anything promising, just a few generic FAQ's.

For some reason I get random aborts whenever I have anything as the post-processing script, as in it'll (sometimes) abort the recording after it only has like 10-20 seconds of video and pass it to the script. Which really sucks because I want automated comskip. I just gave up completely on doing any built-in automated remux/transcode/post-processing and the recordings are way more reliable. Just hoping something in the next Plex DVR beta fixes it.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
You can now make a Plex Mix playlist (or any music playlist) on Android and sync it for offline use on the latest Android client. Finally.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

So I was dicking around in Plex, it said I had an update to install and I did. Now, after install, it wants me to log in and it keeps telling me that it can't connect to the Plex server. It's not my internet connection because I tried googling the problem on the same PC but couldn't find anything that really helped.

Edit: Tried it again later and it finally connected.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 1, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Apparently QNAP jumped the gun and temporarily released a PMS build supporting hardware transcoding 2 months ago. They even wrote a blog post about it. It's all taken down but web archive still has it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160902040321/http://blog.qnap.com/exciting-plex-pms-update-now-available-utilize-hardware-transcoding-plex/

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/240111/qnap-hardware-transcoding-fro-plex#latest

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

How about this new Nighthawk x10 router with PMS built in with transcoding: https://www.netgear.com/landings/plex/

Only $500!

:eyepop:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Atomizer posted:

How about this new Nighthawk x10 router with PMS built in with transcoding: https://www.netgear.com/landings/plex/

Only $500!

:eyepop:

There's a guy on r/Plex who wants to buy this because he thinks a $300 server build would just annihilate his power bill.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

There's a guy on r/Plex who wants to buy this because he thinks a $300 server build would just annihilate his power bill.

LOL

I have a Plex server/VM host powered by a i3-4340... At idle it's power usage as measured at the wall is about 47 watts. Power costs me on average 12 cents per kWh. So 13 cents a day in idle power usage, or about $4 USD a month. I am quite willing to pay $4 a month for the convenience of Plex.

If people would just bother to do the math...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know why that guy would drop $500+ on a NAS then another $500 on a router instead of just buying the server but whatever. Power is like $0.18/kWh here during peak hours but the convenience is worth the small bump to my bill. I tried over-complicating everything with WOL and smart strips but it was such a fuckin hassle and never worked quite right.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

R/Plex gets a lot of special snowflakes who are married to their bad assumptions and overboard solutions and just want validation. It's not as bad as the full-on special ed class that is r/Chromecast but it's close.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Heh. So I just checked my ~$500 4770 Plex server, and it's only pulling 100 w (according to the readout on the UPS) while ripping AND transcoding with Handbrake, and when idle it uses around 30-40 w IIRC. I could see getting that Nighthawk IF you needed a competent router and WAP, AND it was a powerful multi-stream transcoding PMS, but not for $500 when your other option is a $300 PC that can ALSO perform routing/DNS/DHCP and work as a WAP.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Considering replacing my older (2012) lenovo thinkpad (i5, 2.2ghz, 8gb ram, usb 2.0) with a similarly old NUC. 1.3-1.9ghz, 8gb ram, windows 7, usb 3.0) as my my plex server . Main goal is to get usb 3.0, as i occasionally back up terabytes to other drives.

Only bummer is windows 7.... whoever had this thing before me missed the free upgrade window.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The FAQ says that nighthawk can't transcode more than 1 stream at 480p so yah.. it's a fun gimmick if your rich uncle buys an overpriced router...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Considering replacing my older (2012) lenovo thinkpad (i5, 2.2ghz, 8gb ram, usb 2.0) with a similarly old NUC. 1.3-1.9ghz, 8gb ram, windows 7, usb 3.0) as my my plex server . Main goal is to get usb 3.0, as i occasionally back up terabytes to other drives.

Only bummer is windows 7.... whoever had this thing before me missed the free upgrade window.

AFAIK you can still get the Win10 upgrade if you use assistive services (or claim to do so) like screen magnification, etc. Go for it.

EngineerJoe posted:

The FAQ says that nighthawk can't transcode more than 1 stream at 480p so yah.. it's a fun gimmick if your rich uncle buys an overpriced router...

This wouldn't surprise me, although I'm still having trouble finding that info myself. A preliminary report suggests it can transcode 4k files (per Netgear) but ultimately we have no direct performance info.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Atomizer posted:

AFAIK you can still get the Win10 upgrade if you use assistive services (or claim to do so) like screen magnification, etc. Go for it

Got it up and running. Scored some extra ram so it has 16gb. Got windows 10 too.

On an initial test, streaming a 1080p bluray to my phone had the cpu at 90%. Looks like i might be screwed for streaming to two people at once?

Ill try that tonight.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Got it up and running. Scored some extra ram so it has 16gb. Got windows 10 too.

On an initial test, streaming a 1080p bluray to my phone had the cpu at 90%. Looks like i might be screwed for streaming to two people at once?

Ill try that tonight.

Wait, what's the exact CPU you're using for the PMS box?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Atomizer posted:

Wait, what's the exact CPU you're using for the PMS box?

i5 4250u, 1.3ghz. ( i think with 1.9ghz boost), 16gb ram
128gb ssd, windows 10 pro

My concerns are:

1. Cpu wont handle 2+ 1080p streams
2. PMS needs headroom on the SSD, and 128 isnt enough. A bluray can be 25+ gigs; so to two streams would bottleneck it ( i have 48gb to spare). I have a 256gb drive, but :effort:
3 my isp has a 6mbps upload cap.

Edit: i just tried this:

Simultaneously
Direct play 1080p (full BD rip) to local Appletv4
Direct play 1080p (full BD rip) to local ipad
Remote play 1080p (Compressed) to remote iphone

The ipad played for few seconds then stopped, citing lack of power from the CPU.

When i stopped the iphone, both local streams resumed without issue.

In any event, my only hope is that i can watch a movie without interruption while my 2 other remote shares are, on the rare occasion, simultaneously playing.

Looking at the NUCs task manager, the CPU was at 100% in either scenario, and said 2.28ghz. Im smart ish with computers, but down understand how it can 2.28 when it claims 1.3-1.9 is what it rated at? Something about cores?

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 5, 2016

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

My concerns are:

2. PMS needs headroom on the SSD, and 128 isnt enough. A bluray can be 25+ gigs; so to two streams would bottleneck it ( i have 48gb to spare). I have a 256gb drive, but :effort:

Simultaneously

The ipad played for few seconds then stopped, citing lack of power from the CPU.

In any event, my only hope is that i can watch a movie without interruption while my 2 other remote shares are, on the rare occasion, simultaneously playing.

Looking at the NUCs task manager, the CPU was at 100% in either scenario, and said 2.28ghz. Im smart ish with computers, but down understand how it can 2.28 when it claims 1.3-1.9 is what it rated at? Something about cores?

max turbo on that is 2.6 for a single core http://ark.intel.com/products/75028/Intel-Core-i5-4250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_60-GHz

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thanks. The thinkpad i retired had a i5 2520m 2.5ghz.

Did i upgrade by switching to the nuc?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cornjob posted:

No, the thinkpad would be quicker, perhaps 10-15% or so. The NUC may also throttle or otherwise get worse real-world performance on demanding tasks than the thinkpad.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Khablam posted:

No, the thinkpad would be quicker, perhaps 10-15% or so. The NUC may also throttle or otherwise get worse real-world performance on demanding tasks than the thinkpad.

Thanks. I think i can live with the 15% reduction, considering i gained a smaller footprint, and usb 3.0.

I got the NUC as a trade for some other things. Ill just get by on it until i can score a more powerful machine.

I see a few 4-5 year old laptops on craigslist with i7, 3ghz, SSD, 6gb of ram, for about $200-300... tempting.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 6, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cornjob posted:

My concerns are:

Simultaneously

Cornjob posted:

Those two CPUs have similar synthetic performance; it's more of a sidegrade in terms of performance, but the newer CPU is still more efficient in terms of power usage and performance per clock cycle. It does make sense to keep the NUC running PMS, but it shouldn't technically be able to transcode more than one FHD stream simultaneously. Two HD streams or more lower res streams would work.

Regarding the clock speed discrepancy you noticed, what Qwijib0 was getting at is that Intel's CPUs not only dynamically adjust their clock speed based on demand (i.e. reducing it to save power or increasing it as necessary) but they have a Turbo Boost feature where they can reach higher than the base clock (up to the maximum listed turbo speed) on fewer cores.

I'm not sure what you're getting at regarding headroom on your SSD. You can totally have a ~120 GB SSD for the OS and PMS (which is exactly my setup,) and put your media on another drive (ideally a multi-terabyte HDD.) Also, just because FHD files are large doesn't mean you're reading them all at once; the system probably only needs to read at a rate of ~5 MBps so any modern SSD or HDD should be able to stream from multiple files simultaneously.

As far as your connection is concerned, you can limit the outgoing bitrate (Settings -> Server -> Remote Access.)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If your remote use-case is going to persistently be an iPhone, consider just using the optimise feature to keep a small cache of content pre-compressed. You really won't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 5 inch screen either, so you can drop it to that if you want to keep the conversions real-time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How good are the channel streams on this? Anyone use them on a PS4? Was gonna put together something for Kodi, but people are saying Plex is just as good for TV channel livestreams.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I find the channels to be really slow. I really don't know why since it's not that difficult of a task but it takes a few seconds to do anything. As a result, I only use channels when I absolutely have to.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fuzz posted:

How good are the channel streams on this? Anyone use them on a PS4? Was gonna put together something for Kodi, but people are saying Plex is just as good for TV channel livestreams.

Those people are mistaken. If you're looking to stream pay TV from some dude's AMD desktop Kodi is what you should be using. Channels do a decent job of scraping a few network websites for their free streaming on-demand content but that's about it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Atomizer posted:

Those two CPUs have similar synthetic performance; it's more of a sidegrade in terms of performance, but the newer CPU is still more efficient in terms of power usage and performance per clock cycle. It does make sense to keep the NUC running PMS, but it shouldn't technically be able to transcode more than one FHD stream simultaneously. Two HD streams or more lower res streams would work.

Regarding the clock speed discrepancy you noticed, what Qwijib0 was getting at is that Intel's CPUs not only dynamically adjust their clock speed based on demand (i.e. reducing it to save power or increasing it as necessary) but they have a Turbo Boost feature where they can reach higher than the base clock (up to the maximum listed turbo speed) on fewer cores.

I'm not sure what you're getting at regarding headroom on your SSD. You can totally have a ~120 GB SSD for the OS and PMS (which is exactly my setup,) and put your media on another drive (ideally a multi-terabyte HDD.) Also, just because FHD files are large doesn't mean you're reading them all at once; the system probably only needs to read at a rate of ~5 MBps so any modern SSD or HDD should be able to stream from multiple files simultaneously.

Thank you for the explanation on CPUs.

Regarding headroom, about a year ago, i couldn't stream any of my larger files. As it turned out, my 128gb ssd was nearly full, and that was the reason. Once i cleared some space, the problem was resolved.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 6, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

When they work, they're great, you can watch stuff from like Comedy Central as if you were streaming directly from their site, except you have more control over the stream quality (I think it's actually being routed through your PMS rather than sent straight to your client) and there are no ads! Unfortunately half the time when I try to watch something I get "unspecified error" which is super useful in helping troubleshoot the issue! :rolleyes:

Cornjob posted:

Regarding headroom, about a year ago, i couldn't stream any of my larger files. As it turned out, my 128gb ssd was nearly full, and that was the reason. Once i cleared some space, the problem was resolved.

Ah yeah, that's exactly the problem. You're not going to get far storing 25 GB files on a 128 GB SSD! You want to have perhaps 20% free space on an SSD at all times anyway, and all the more reason to get like a 4 TB HDD for your movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

Does having Plex Media Server running off an SSD make a noticeable difference? I leave my Plex Server on 24/7, so boot and loading times are pretty much irrelevant in my scenario. What other benefits are there to having all that Plex data/streaming headroom stored on an SSD? Would I see a difference in performance in apps and Plex web on all my front-end client devices? Curious, because I'm in the process of building a Plex server for a family friend who just finished his basement and has a dope as gently caress home theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Does having Plex Media Server running off an SSD make a noticeable difference? I leave my Plex Server on 24/7, so boot and loading times are pretty much irrelevant in my scenario. What other benefits are there to having all that Plex data/streaming headroom stored on an SSD? Would I see a difference in performance in apps and Plex web on all my front-end client devices? Curious, because I'm in the process of building a Plex server for a family friend who just finished his basement and has a dope as gently caress home theater.

Unless you're running off a powersaver 4200 RPM laptop hard drive you won't see a difference.