Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

Same here, though when I had a 2600 I remember how quickly I got bored with the games. It can be hard to go that far back sometimes, especially when you have no nostalgia for it. I do however love that early illustrated cartridge label art so I think I might pick up this coffee table book on it. Has anyone else gotten it?

I've said it before, but this is why I love my Harmony flashcart for the Atari 2600 so much. When a game gets boring after 15 minutes tops, I can near instantly switch to any of the thousand or whatever other games, rather than having to rustle through a bunch of cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ah derp, you can tell I haven't bothered playing 5, and it didn't occur to me he wasn't going through one of the previous 4, given the anime rant.

Atari wise I just picked up a couple Activision and Atari Collections on PS1 and DS to satisfy that need. Still have a couple carts hanging around for decoration and just in case I do have a change of heart about owning an Atari console.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 31, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah derp, you can tell I haven't bothered playing Five, and it didn't occur to me he wasn't going through one of the previous 4, given the anime rant.

5 is a surprisingly solid game (Hell, they all are really), and handles a black ex-gang member Harlem-raised lawyer confronting black social issues in Harlem fairly well for coming from a culture with almost no hands-on experience with American race relations.

It only comes across as slightly funny that the plucky young Japanese dude supports her in her struggle for social justice.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Turbinosamente posted:

I still mourn the death of the Sakura Wars PS2 LP

Did it actually die? I've been following it for a long time, and he's taken literally years-long hiatuses before.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Decided to go about building my own Competition Pro knockoff joystick for Amiga emulation and... did I gently caress up by ordering parts for a 4-way arcade stick? Pretty sure I meant to order an 8-way but :downs:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Usually the difference is just the gate, and most 4-way sticks let you play with the gate to make them 8-way anyway.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It begins

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

To be honest I'm shocked Nintendo didn't think to make an NES Advantage for this thing themselves.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

univbee posted:

It begins

Looks pretty skeevy but to be honest I love the fact that this exists. It gives me the warm fuzzies of nostalgia.

Edit: also it's pretty dumb that the new NES doesn't come with two controllers by default.

Have they hinted at a SNES Classic yet? I get the feeling that will far outperform the NES Classic.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 1, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

njsykora posted:

To be honest I'm shocked Nintendo didn't think to make an NES Advantage for this thing themselves.

They should've made an NES Max. :unsmigghh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

Have they hinted at a SNES Classic yet? I get the feeling that will far outperform the NES Classic.
It would have to have, like, all the Square/Enix RPGs. You could build a separate release around that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

It would have to have, like, all the Square/Enix RPGs. You could build a separate release around that.

Also whether to have the lovely US purple controllers or the vastly superior Japan and European ones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

They should've made an NES Max. :unsmigghh:

I'm holding out for a knock off U-Force.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

It begins

Jesus christ, Nintendo. People are going to die trying to get these things :stare:.

Drone posted:

Looks pretty skeevy but to be honest I love the fact that this exists. It gives me the warm fuzzies of nostalgia.

Edit: also it's pretty dumb that the new NES doesn't come with two controllers by default.

I kinda think Nintendo really need to just make online-capable NES/SNES/N64 Classic Consoles and put the Virtual Console to bed for the moment. A single purpose-built platform means they can just knock the titles out on something built reasonably-specific for those games and not have to re-iterate them every generation. The Virtual Console service is a wonderful thing, especially on 3DS, but we're not exactly getting the same rush of games on WiiU that we got one the Wii's.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

njsykora posted:

Also whether to have the lovely US purple controllers or the vastly superior Japan and European ones.

A bunch of games which internally have pics of the controller pretty much forces their hand on this, although that raises the question of what they'd do for Europe in that case.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm holding out for a knock off U-Force.

Microsoft already made two. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

A bunch of games which internally have pics of the controller pretty much forces their hand on this, although that raises the question of what they'd do for Europe in that case.

I'm pretty sure the controller layout is identical, it's just a question of the color of the ABXY buttons. I don't see how this would be a problem at all.

The biggest question is which console layout they would use: the blocky NA one or the smoother Super Famicom-style one used in Japan and Europe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

I'm pretty sure the controller layout is identical, it's just a question of the color of the ABXY buttons. I don't see how this would be a problem at all.

The biggest question is which console layout they would use: the blocky NA one or the smoother Super Famicom-style one used in Japan and Europe.

Yeah but Nintendo is super sensitive about this sort of stuff and I don't think they'd stick either NA or Europe with an "unfamiliar" console design. Color scheme would be a problem if a game either has a picture of the controller (e.g. Star Fox, although it's called Star Wing in Europe so would need to be changed anyway) or uses its colors in the game in some fashion (e.g. Super Mario RPG, that early boss that can lock buttons) I could see them either skipping those games entirely or ensuring that PAL territories got the "Super Famicom"-styled console with the PAL versions of at least those games. Hell, because of how the languages work, they might have to stick with PAL versions too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

Hell, because of how the languages work, they might have to stick with PAL versions too.

The NES Classic screws Europe in a way. All of the localizations are the NA versions, even for the Classic that is sold in European stores. Users can change the UI out-of-game into one of like 10 languages, but the games themselves are always in English.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I seriously don't get the love for the NES advantage besides the fact that it's pretty nice looking, the stick itself just feels downright awful to me (same goes for SNES advantage and sega's thing for the geneis). joysticks without microswitches feel so strange

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

The NES Classic screws Europe in a way. All of the localizations are the NA versions, even for the Classic that is sold in European stores. Users can change the UI out-of-game into one of like 10 languages, but the games themselves are always in English.

That being said, I think Kirby's Adventure is the only game in the NES Classic library which had non-English releases (and also the only NES game to get a North American non-English release full stop), by and large any localization of those titles didn't extend past the box and manual. SNES was somewhat of a different beast; although quite a few "choice" titles never got European releases at all, a much bigger subset of games which got releases had some form of localization, either by making the PAL version have alternate language options (off the top of my head this is the case for the DKC games and Super Metroid), or by having region-specific releases; Link to the Last is this way, as is Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (a.k.a. Mystic Quest Legends), Actraiser, and quite a few other titles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With the SNES RPGs that's a major advantage. You couldn't even pay me to accept a SNES Classic if it had the German translations of the time. They were beyond awful.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

With the SNES RPGs that's a major advantage. You couldn't even pay me to accept a SNES Classic if it had the German translations of the time. They were beyond awful.

The French ones were generally pretty solid, with a few oddities such as the Master Sword in LttP being Excalibur :hist101:, although Actraiser was also devoid of accents which makes reading it kind of funky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I kinda think Nintendo really need to just make online-capable NES/SNES/N64 Classic Consoles and put the Virtual Console to bed for the moment. A single purpose-built platform means they can just knock the titles out on something built reasonably-specific for those games and not have to re-iterate them every generation. The Virtual Console service is a wonderful thing, especially on 3DS, but we're not exactly getting the same rush of games on WiiU that we got one the Wii's.

I'm sorry, but there's already nothing but Nintendo being a dick behind them refusing to bring out already-released-for-Wii games on the Wii U virtual console, or preventing the 3DS from running at least all the games for systems it can handle.

For instance, the 1989 NES game "Baseball Simulator 1.000" is only available on Wii U in North America, despite the fact there's nothing that makes the Wii or 3DS incapable of running it.

If they built a standalone console for Virtual Console stuff, they'd pull the same crap of randomly refusing to release games, no doubt about it, and decline to re-release some games they already put on an earlier console's VC.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

I'm sorry, but there's already nothing but Nintendo being a dick behind them refusing to bring out already-released-for-Wii games on the Wii U virtual console, or preventing the 3DS from running at least all the games for systems it can handle.

Unless it's specifically a first party Nintendo game, you have no basis in fact for actually making this statement.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The light weight comes from the fact that the entire tv is basically a dlp projector shooting onto the screen. That's all they are and why they are so light. The entire tv is essentially blank space, with the projector unit on the bottom shooting up onto the screen at an angle (hence the depth of the unit)

I had one of these models. I also have some bad news.

The video lag was just ok. Playable for sure, but not the best. The worst part of it though was that the internal scaler was total poo poo. The tv can only display 720p, and will internally scale SD content up, and 1080 content down. It will smear and muddy SD content like no ones business. It really only does well with HD content over hdmi, so if you're using an external scaler that can output HDMI at 720 or 1080, then you're probably OK. Otherwise, it's pretty sub optimal.

Also, if it has any white pixels showing on screen, then the DLP chip is on its way out. This is a known failure point with them. If it's not showing them, then you either got lucky or the chip was replaced. If there are white spots, the chip will eventually die.

Mine also went out of focus after a while, and I never looked into focusing it, but I think that comes from moving it around, so be gentle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/
Ah well it's legit free, so no worries. Thanks for the feedback. :cheers: My goal is to eventually split my newer consoles into separate TV setups anyway, so when I have the space that's probably what I'll end up using the DLP for (if it lasts!).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Unless it's specifically a first party Nintendo game, you have no basis in fact for actually making this statement.

There is no reason for Advance Wars to be on the Wii U VC but not the 3DS.

Also with regards to region differences, 99% of the time now Europe gets the US version of any VC release because they run at 60hz instead of the 50hz Europe had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

There is no reason for Advance Wars to be on the Wii U VC but not the 3DS.

Yes there is, GBA games run like poo poo on the 3DS.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes there is, GBA games run like poo poo on the 3DS.

All the ambassador games run fine and I refuse to believe Nintendo couldn't get full GBA support working, at least on New 3DS with its additional horsepower.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Pretty sure someone else asked about this a few weeks ago; I picked up a copy of Lagrange Point and I'd like to install an EPROM with the English translation. Is there anyone who sells flashed EPROMs themselves, or anyone here with a programmer that could make one? I'm not quite ready to drop a couple hundred bucks on a programming setup myself.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

All the ambassador games run fine and I refuse to believe Nintendo couldn't get full GBA support working, at least on New 3DS with its additional horsepower.

They run fine because they use the GBA compatibility mode the original DS used for real cartridges. This mostly locks out the typical VC features, because it switches the 3DS cpu to a mode that can't run the system software beyond a stub.

The new 3DS might be able to do emulation while keeping the normal VC features but it also might not - the CPU in it still isn't super great and the GBA is fairly demanding to emulate as things go.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If the PSP could emulate GBA pretty well then I'm positive Nintendo could work some magic on their own machine.

But nothing about their erratic release schedule makes me think they care enough to bother.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

If the PSP could emulate GBA pretty well then I'm positive Nintendo could work some magic on their own machine.

But nothing about their erratic release schedule makes me think they care enough to bother.

Functional emulation is not the same as acceptable quality emulation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

The PSP struggled quite a bit with a decent amount of the GBA library in the emulators. You wouldn't want to shell out a whole $8 or whatever they're charging for a 12+ year old game that won't run right.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The PSP choked on Fire Emblem pretty badly, I don't think that's acceptable at all!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Not that it matters anymore because if the Switch sells well then the 3DS line will be axed with the Wii U. All of Nintendo's big titles planned for 2017 are a sidescrolling Pikmin, a Mario sports collection, a port of Wooly World, and a weird looking RPG. That's it for February/March 2017 and I certainly don't expect anything new for Wii U other than multiplatform releases.

ChaosArgate posted:

The PSP choked on Fire Emblem pretty badly, I don't think that's acceptable at all!

It played Mega Man Zero and Mother 3 without issue so that's acceptable to me. Even the music timing in Mother 3 was on point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When does Dragon Quest VIII come out in the US?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

al-azad posted:

Not that it matters anymore because if the Switch sells well then the 3DS line will be axed with the Wii U. All of Nintendo's big titles planned for 2017 are a sidescrolling Pikmin, a Mario sports collection, a port of Wooly World, and a weird looking RPG. That's it for February/March 2017 and I certainly don't expect anything new for Wii U other than multiplatform releases.

It played Mega Man Zero and Mother 3 without issue so that's acceptable to me. Even the music timing in Mother 3 was on point.

Serious question, what emulator were you using, because Mother 3's timing was kinda off for me on PSP and I gave up trying to play on that and just went back to VBA.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

When does Dragon Quest VIII come out in the US?

On 3DS? Sometime in 2017, earlyish I think is the plan, but there's no set date right now.

Note that, like DQ7, it's probably going to have a MIDI soundtrack to replace the orchestral one.

Or you can play it on PS2 or mobile right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

univbee posted:

Or you can play it on PS2 or mobile right now.

I'm not a fan of the mobile port as it is right now. The frame rate on new devices is really poo poo IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Unless the Switch completely bombs in all markets the Wii U and 3DS will be phased out like the Wii, DS, Gamecube, GBA, SNES, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy, Virtualboy and NES were.

• Locked thread