Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What, no love for show jumping? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Not unless they let me wield a sabre or a jousting lance at the same time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Speaking of buying washable things, lames. Washable ones seem to be twice the price of entry-level ones and that's getting a bit steep. Should I just get a starter kit with the cheapest lame and two foils, or invest in a better lame but only one foil?
What are the foils you're looking at? I'm sure this has come up before, but rule of thumb is don't buy anything that isn't FIE rated. Decent blades last a lot longer and work out cheaper after a year or two of use.

Fat Samurai posted:

Just fencing, I find running boring and didn't enjoy shooting much the only time I've tried it.

It's a pretty small club, with only one fencing teacher and 10ish people, 5 of them are pretty into it with the rest kinda tag along but are focusing on other parts of the pentathlon. They were pretty honest about not having any new fencers in a while and it maybe being a bit frustrating for me. 3 hours of classes per week, with an option of renting equipment in a monthly basis for 5€ a month.

Other people in the club seemed pretty friendly, except a 16 year old girl who seemed eager to shish kebab me, either before or after using me as target practice. :ohdear:

I have a couple of other places to check out, if nothing works I'll try it for a month and see how it goes.
Sounds good, hopefully they'll take you under their wings and get you up to speed on fencing. poo poo can seem frustrating at times, but half the fun of the game is figuring your opponents out and working out how to get around their tricks/technique. Ignore the score, focus on learning things and having fun!
I guess if you want to watch out for anything, it's whether they are interested in helping you learn and improve - hopefully there won't be any cocky assholes who are just there to curbstomp newbies.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

PBT's regular foils. They're half the price of the FIE ones, will a FIE blade really last twice as long?

...Buuut I guess I might as well buy FIE kit anyway, since you can't go to national-level competitions over here without. :shepspends: i'm about to buy another X-Change mask help

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I had an epee tournament this weekend, woooo! I didn't place super well - made it to the Round of 16 in the (pretty large) bracket, but not further. I'm happy with that, though: the guy who beat me went on to take silver in the whole event. The experience taught me one thing: holy poo poo I am bad at infighting. There were matches in pools that I could have walked away with handily had I not hosed up a bunch of second/third efforts in close. After the initial lunge/extension or parry/disengage/whatever, I just go totally :flaccid: and I have to figure out how to make that work better.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 31, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

strangemusic posted:

I had an epee tournament this weekend, woooo! I didn't place super well - made it to the Round of 16 in the (pretty large) bracket, but not further. I'm happy with that, though: the guy who beat me went on to take silver in the whole event. The experience taught me one thing: holy poo poo I am bad at infighting. There were matches in pools that I could have walked away with handily had I not hosed up a bunch of second/third efforts in close. After the initial lunge/extension or parry/disengage/whatever, I just go totally :flaccid: and I have to figure out how to make that work better.

Infighting does involve being :flaccid: Once you finish that lunge be ready to relax your shoulder and arm. And make sure you're not over committing with the attack

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

PBT's regular foils. They're half the price of the FIE ones, will a FIE blade really last twice as long?

Dunno about PBT personally, but if I was a gambling man I'd put my money on the FIE rated one. I mean, are you going to find yourself in a non-competition situation where you'd need two blades?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

It's been awhile, but my BF blues lasted me for 4+ years of practicing four times a week and going to well over a hundred tournaments. If anything the funny part is that all three of them snapped in the same month.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Siivola posted:

Any blade is liable to break at any point, but in the long run you'll probably more time out of FIEs. That said, though, I don't think I really get much more time out of my FIE Vnitis than I did my non-FIE STMs.

But since you're just starting off and don't know what you want, you might be better off getting a few cheaper blades from different manufacturers and figuring out what you like in a blade, then start spending good money on blades with those qualities. You also have to factor in how much you're fencing; if you're only fencing a night a week, then the durability difference probably doesn't really matter.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd like to fence more than a night a week, but life and knee troubles have been getting in the way. Also goongrats on successfully baffling me on what to buy. Any experiences with LM's FIE blades? The store says they're stiff which sounds nice – I'm a HEMA nerd after all.

In HEMA news, Swordfish is happening this weekend. It's probably the biggest HEMA tournament/workshop event in Europe, so there'll be a lot of people competing. There'll be a livestream of the finals on Saturday. The categories are longsword (open and ladies'), rapier and dagger, sword and buckler, military sabre, and wrestling. The finals will probably not happen in that order. If past events are any indication, the longsword will be good, the wrestling decent, and everything else baffling at best. :v:

Edit: Which one of you is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1byO_XxAM

Siivola fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 3, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Doubleposting because the Swordfish livestream is now up. Currently showing exhibitions for various styles of fencing.

Edit: This poor kid is named Gandalf.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Doubleposting because the Swordfish livestream is now up. Currently showing exhibitions for various styles of fencing.

Edit: This poor kid is named Gandalf.

What level is this considered being? World level?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Swordfish might be the biggest single event in Europe right now. Longpoint is probably bigger, but it's in the States.

So yeah, I guess this is world level.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Fleche 101. Fleches look and feel loving great, especially in epee. They're really exhausting on the coach's side, though. After +10 consecutive hits they start taking their toll on your lower back!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Siivola posted:

I'd like to fence more than a night a week, but life and knee troubles have been getting in the way. Also goongrats on successfully baffling me on what to buy. Any experiences with LM's FIE blades? The store says they're stiff which sounds nice – I'm a HEMA nerd after all.

In HEMA news, Swordfish is happening this weekend. It's probably the biggest HEMA tournament/workshop event in Europe, so there'll be a lot of people competing. There'll be a livestream of the finals on Saturday. The categories are longsword (open and ladies'), rapier and dagger, sword and buckler, military sabre, and wrestling. The finals will probably not happen in that order. If past events are any indication, the longsword will be good, the wrestling decent, and everything else baffling at best. :v:

Edit: Which one of you is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1byO_XxAM
I just got into HEMA last month, glad to see there are some other goons into it! I can't believe I wasn't aware of it before. Ended up watching the Swordfish live stream with some people from the group that I joined.

I saw that you just got into it too. What weapon/method are you doing? I'm doing Lictehnauer Longsword here in Pittsburgh.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've actually been doing Italian longsword for something like three years now, so I'm not quite a beginner any more. I've been dabbling in other stuff as well, and this Saturday I'm fencing in the Helsinki Bolognese Open.

Looking forward to gassing out and hurling in the bin. :v:

Edit: Oh, I need to brag! I got complimented on my form by an actual olympic fencer yesterday in foil class – specifically, Kurt Lindeman, who fenced in the '52 and '60 summer games. :kimchi:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 16, 2016

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Refereeing a senior men's epee world cup for the entire weekend. Great bouts, good money, terrible food.

https://imgur.com/gthURKY

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Try not to fall asleep! :v:

In HEMA news, AAAAAAA my first tournament starts in 12 hours AAAAAAAAAAAAAA :supaburn:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Future Days posted:

Refereeing a senior men's epee world cup for the entire weekend. Great bouts, good money, terrible food.

https://imgur.com/gthURKY

Was at Milwaukee for the NAC this weekend. Ehh bouts, decent money, CHEESE CURDS.

I don't have any pictures, but, uhh, let's just say that things weren't as sedate as that one. Nearly 50 strips, and Saturday had a sabre team event with 33 teams. The event started at 6 PM.

Also, ugh. Is that "USA :usa:" now Us Fencing's official logo for knickers? I liked the stars better.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

So I'm DIYing epee and foil testers/buzzer boxes because I have leftover components to dick about with.

Just wanted to gauge interest here, if any.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I went and I fenced and I did 0-5. I'm not too bummed because I had some close bouts in there. If I just tighten everything down a bit and flesh out a good game plan, I should do pretty well next time. :shobon: Sword and buckler is a lot of fun, it's a bit of a bummer how people seem to focus only on the single sword in Bolognese circles. Might end up having to travel to Britain or Italy or something next year if I want to get my buckler-swash on.

Next up, I think there's going to be the foil club tournament in two weeks unless everyone takes a day off for independence day. (poo poo, arse, I need a foil mask.)

Edit: Oh right pics! I'm the guy in the white jacket. https://www.flickr.com/photos/toroti/albums/72157676862381275

Edit2: Also I have the gnarliest bruise in my thigh right now. I might have to invest in some padded pants before I try my luck at longsword. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 21, 2016

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Tournament photo! I'm in the green shoes and I totally won this. Dude tried the jump-extend hop on to the front foot thing he's doing here like three times in a five-point bout. On the other hand, please pay no attention to my lovely, lovely turned front foot positioning in both of these situations...

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

I went and I fenced and I did 0-5. I'm not too bummed because I had some close bouts in there. If I just tighten everything down a bit and flesh out a good game plan, I should do pretty well next time. :shobon: Sword and buckler is a lot of fun, it's a bit of a bummer how people seem to focus only on the single sword in Bolognese circles. Might end up having to travel to Britain or Italy or something next year if I want to get my buckler-swash on.

Next up, I think there's going to be the foil club tournament in two weeks unless everyone takes a day off for independence day. (poo poo, arse, I need a foil mask.)

Edit: Oh right pics! I'm the guy in the white jacket. https://www.flickr.com/photos/toroti/albums/72157676862381275

Edit2: Also I have the gnarliest bruise in my thigh right now. I might have to invest in some padded pants before I try my luck at longsword. :v:

Are you using a Cold Steel buckler? How badly does that get chewed up by steel?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

World Cup went great. As expected, olympic champion Park won the individual event against Fichera. The latter got red-carded thrice for touching Park's blade with his unarmed arm. As any good Italian would do, he acted like a huge baby. All four referees, the FIE supervisor, and the entire stadium called on his bullshit. Russia won the team event, with France coming in second place. Even though Russian epeeists don't shine in the individual event, they always do great in the team events. Korea's team might've had the best epeeist in the world, but it's not a cohesive team like Russia's. On another note, I didn't cause an international incident this time! :v: Some coaches got yellow-carded pretty early, thankfully! (Coaches count as spectators, so after a yellow card it's a black card!)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Invincible Spleen posted:

Are you using a Cold Steel buckler? How badly does that get chewed up by steel?
Yeah, it's a Cold Steel. I didn't check how they looked afterwards, but they felt really good and sturdy. I'd wager they last way better than any proper wood-and-leather one, at the very least. I'm actually considering getting one myself, but that'll have to wait for a bit.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

Yeah, it's a Cold Steel. I didn't check how they looked afterwards, but they felt really good and sturdy. I'd wager they last way better than any proper wood-and-leather one, at the very least. I'm actually considering getting one myself, but that'll have to wait for a bit.

Interesting! I'm thinking of picking up a couple, myself. They have better handles and are half the price of the current steel offerings.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And a fraction of the weight, which is honestly a loving relief for someone as noodly-armed as I am. All the metal ones are ridiculously thick and heavy, and some even rivet extra strips of metal because it's apparently not hardcore enough yet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NHK English special on this years All Japan Kendo championship.
https://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/sportsjapansp/20161120/#play

Commentators aren't great, but it's probably as good as it gets.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Future Days posted:

World Cup went great. As expected, olympic champion Park won the individual event against Fichera. The latter got red-carded thrice for touching Park's blade with his unarmed arm. As any good Italian would do, he acted like a huge baby. All four referees, the FIE supervisor, and the entire stadium called on his bullshit. Russia won the team event, with France coming in second place. Even though Russian epeeists don't shine in the individual event, they always do great in the team events. Korea's team might've had the best epeeist in the world, but it's not a cohesive team like Russia's. On another note, I didn't cause an international incident this time! :v: Some coaches got yellow-carded pretty early, thankfully! (Coaches count as spectators, so after a yellow card it's a black card!)

I'm dumb, but where was this World Cup? I'm also confused, because I'm seeing non-epee friends post about being in Argentina (foil) and France (sabre). I, honestly, thought the events were more staggered than this.

Also, what are you doing for the beginning of July? You should totally come to the US for Summer Nats in beautiful Salt Lake City, Utah. If you agree to work all 10 days, they even give you 2 days off! :suicide:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Was he parrying with the off arm, or something more like the local guy I regularly card for grabbing the opponent's blade with his of hand?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

I'm dumb, but where was this World Cup? I'm also confused, because I'm seeing non-epee friends post about being in Argentina (foil) and France (sabre). I, honestly, thought the events were more staggered than this.

It was in Argentina, actually! You can play Spot the Goon in the FIE Facebook albums if you want to. :v: There are senior world cups for every category every one or two months, iirc. You can check the FIE website for the schedule.

quote:

Was he parrying with the off arm, or something more like the local guy I regularly card for grabbing the opponent's blade with his of hand?

The former, in close quarters when exchanging remises. Pretty hard to spot when refereeing alone, but that's what the two assistant referees and the video referee are for!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Are there video archives of WC epee anywhere yet?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

strangemusic posted:

Are there video archives of WC epee anywhere yet?

Recording and streaming equipment is prohibitively expensive for most event organizers, but the FIE YouTube channel uploads the livestreams of the most important events.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here we go again.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nice. I'm drumming up the courage to go and buy some sabre kit, I have a weapon but need everything else.

I attended a short 1-day reffing course recently, it was amazingly good stuff. And yeah, we got shown some pretty egregious examples of offhand parrying shenanigans. Can you recommend any particularly good bouts from the world cup to watch, either for entertainment or for trying to get better at reffing?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The HEMA Alliance unveiled their newbie guide and it's pretty good. The new club finder is pretty swanky, too.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Nice. I'm drumming up the courage to go and buy some sabre kit, I have a weapon but need everything else.

I attended a short 1-day reffing course recently, it was amazingly good stuff. And yeah, we got shown some pretty egregious examples of offhand parrying shenanigans. Can you recommend any particularly good bouts from the world cup to watch, either for entertainment or for trying to get better at reffing?

TBH the only way to learn how to ref is by going to as many tournaments as you can and getting poo poo on by everyone everywhere. :v: As for videos, the best thing you can do is watching YouTube replays of WC or Olympic bouts, stop after every hit, and analyze them by yourself. That's what most (if not all) of us do. In fact, that's exactly what you do in the FIE examination!

As for shit_that_actually_happened.txt, here's an issue I ran into in the last epée world cup:

For those of you HEMA folks, this is what a (foil and epée) fencing piste looks like. It's 14m long, with a 2m run off area. If your two feet cross the end line, a point is awarded to your opponent. If your two feet leave the piste by the sides, you have to step back 1m. So, if you leave the piste by the sides when you're too close to the end line, you'll end up crossing it, awarding a point to your opponent. Now, according to the FIE rules the run off section is not part of the piste. So, if the fencer on the left does this:

Did he actually leave the piste? What's your call?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If both feet step off the back side of the piste, the fencer on the right gets a point. The red area is not part of the piste. Seems entirely cut and dry to me.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If you judge them to have gone off the side of the strip first, then they're losing a meter and going off of the end of the strip, anyway. I guess as a theoretical exercise you might give side of the strip priority since it's a stricter boundary (any foot off versus both feet off)

Edit: Yup

USAF Rulebook posted:

t.28.1
If a competitor crosses one of the lateral boundaries of the strip with one or two feet, he
must retreat one meter from the point where he left the strip, and if he goes off the strip
during an attack, he must return to the position he occupied when he started his attack
and then retreat a further meter

So once that first foot crosses the lateral boundary, you're on notice for the purposes of t.26.2, so if you're not making an action at that point, you're toast.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

If you judge them to have gone off the side of the strip first, then they're losing a meter and going off of the end of the strip, anyway. I guess as a theoretical exercise you might give side of the strip priority since it's a stricter boundary (any foot off versus both feet off)

Edit: Yup

So once that first foot crosses the lateral boundary, you're on notice for the purposes of t.26.2, so if you're not making an action at that point, you're toast.

But the 2m run off section is not considered part of the piste by the FIE rules. It's a huge grey area that's not described anywhere. This bout in particular was ISR vs GER. Of course, I awarded the GER fencer a point. The ISR fencer threw a 20 min bitch fit and demanded an opinion from the FIE supervisor, who supported my call. Apparently, some European fencers have been using this loophole for a few years. Everything could be fixed if the FIE Rules commission did something about it. Don't forget that the scoring devices started using fractions of a second since the 2012 Olympics incident. :v: