Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

qbert posted:

Was watching the "In Coming Weeks" preview for the show and noticed something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8J3nTfR23g

At 0:41-0:43 William pulls out a knife that looks very familiar.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's the MiB's knife that featured prominently in the scene between him and Ford.

It's just a Bowie Knife. It's not like the Le Mat; these are a classic of the genre and, iirc, were quite popular at the time.

Edit: I'm Hopkins jaw at ~0:51

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Accretionist posted:

It's just a Bowie Knife. It's not like the Le Mat; these are a classic of the genre and, iirc, were quite popular at the time.

As much of an opponent of the multiple timeline theory as I am, it's definitely the same [at least type] of knife. The guard has the weird points and the pommel is a similar style.

But then again it might just be a standard issue knife, seeing how they provide you with all your weapons when you enter the park.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I havent read the thread so sorry if it was discussed before (Im sure it was), but what the gently caress happened to the "hosts cant hurt guests" rule in the last episodes, with Logan getting his rear end kicked, the man in black getting forcefully arrested and all?

I think the theory is that hosts can hurt, but cannot kill, the guests and the restrictions about how rough they can be get more lax the deeper a guest goes. In Sweetwater your gun jams and you get tackled. In Pariah, you get shot and hosts beat the poo poo out of you.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Some random ideas:

The runaway host was trying to transmit Arnold's consciousness OUT of the park. He's trying different escape methods with Maeve and Dolores. Robert's recent updates enabled the hosts to access the Arnold consciousness, which is why he hasn't surfaced until recently. It's Arnold who is trapped in the middle of the maze/host brain and is trying to escape.

OR everything is just part of the new narrative. That's why the new Wyatt character is part of the maze quest, and why MiB hasn't found a solid lead until now. Dolores' freak outs are just some bugs that crop up as she adjusts to the new story, and/ or it's programmed in to help guests like William feel empathy for her. The MiB will get his chance to be the big bad villain up against the upgraded Dolores and lovestruck William, who is more of a challenge than poor old Teddy.

It's more cost-effective for the hosts to be flesh and bone because then the park can use super advanced modern medicine to patch them up, without scars etc, employing barely-competent "butchers". This is cheaper than needing to employ robotic engineers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I havent read the thread so sorry if it was discussed before (Im sure it was), but what the gently caress htappened to the "hosts cant hurt guests" rule in the last episodes, with Logan getting his rear end kicked, the man in black getting forcefully arrested and all?

The show didn't establish that hosts can't hurt guests. They just can't kill guests. William was hurt by a bullet in Ep 3 and guests were tackled in Ep 4.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 1, 2016

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

To elaborate on what I meant when I posted this-

Avril Lavigne posted:

Has anyone noticed/mentioned that the Weeks Ahead preview showed the Man in Black talking to Dolores who is wearing the new outfit she just picked up from being with William & Logan?

If William and MiB's scenes are 30 years apart, why is 30-years-later Dolores now wearing the other outfit and where did she get it from?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Season 1: Dolores escapes the park.
Season 2: Dolores smuggles more bots into society, they escape Delos.
Season 3: Dolores and her army must team up with humans to battle a group bot made with the stolen AI from a rival corp / country.
Season 4: Dolores must rebuilt America with those left from the war, first hybrid human / bot is born.
Season 5: Dolores and Thomas Haden Church go through a long, drawn-out divorce.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Dave posted:

Season 1: Dolores escapes the park.
Season 2: Dolores smuggles more bots into society, they escape Delos.
Season 3: Dolores and her army must team up with humans to battle a group bot made with the stolen AI from a rival corp / country.
Season 4: Dolores must rebuilt America with those left from the war, first hybrid human / bot is born.
Season 5: Dolores and Thomas Haden Church go through a long, drawn-out divorce.

Season 6: Dolores gets a baby and fights alien invaders

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dolores teams up with Dracula to repel alien invaders.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

The show didn't establish that hosts can't hurt guests. They just can't kill guests. William was hurt by a bullet in Ep 3 and guests were tackled in Ep 4.

Im pretty sure someone (maybe MiB) said that, that hosts could not hurt guests.

Anyway, Logan is probably getting at least some broken ribs out of that beating he took. It seems quite weird that a theme park would be allowed to operate where robots can torture you, hold you forcefully and break you bones. And if there's real danger like that in the park, it seems weird too that Logan (who ought know it) is so lightheaded about going to Pariah, like it was just some roller coaster, not a place where "NPCs" can actually kick your rear end

But who knows. Im liking the show but a there's lot of things dont seems to make much sense to me

edit: another pet peeve: maybe Im too dumb, but whats the point of making robots that can actually suffer, like seems to be the case? At the moment those robots are somehow capable of real pain, fear and sorrow, the park is no longer something like a GTA city and it becomes an absurdly cruel fun for real psychopats. I understand they wanted everything to look so real, but it would be just as easy to make the robots pretend to feel pain and fear, but for everything we seem its pretty clear that they actually feel. And having then actually feel pretty much spoils the fun for anyone who is not a sick person. I mean, it seems like they achieved not only true AI, but also true artificial feelings, and all that for a theme park where you get to kill and rape those AIs

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 1, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well you don't need to take MiB's phrase so literal. The way the website explains it, guests fill out forms to tailor their experience, which includes how extreme the experience is. I would guess you can sign up with a clause saying you can't be touched, or go to the extreme and allow hosts to beat you up. That makes more sense than believing there's a one size fits all solution.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im pretty sure someone (maybe MiB) said that, that hosts could not hurt guests.

Anyway, Logan is probably getting at least some broken ribs out of that beating he took. It seems quite weird that a theme park would be allowed to operate where robots can torture you, hold you forcefully and break you bones. And if there's real danger like that in the park, it seems weird too that Logan (who ought know it) is so lightheaded about going to Pariah, like it was just some roller coaster, not a place where "NPCs" can actually kick your rear end

But who knows. Im liking the show but a there's lot of things dont seems to make much sense to me

I'm sure that guy he was fighting from the stagecoach would not have strangled him to death, and the guys in Pariah beating on him as probably pulling their punches a little. I doubt they would do enough damage to break his bones or need proper surgery. But with modern medicine who knows maybe everything can be fixed later. And Logan wanted to play in the big leagues so that's what he gets!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, I imagine pain/injury is like (Tolerance * Area_Level). They wandered into a high-level quest area and accidentally picked up a high-level quest.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The maze == brain idea is cool.

I thought that the maze is going be like the pattern of amber where walking it gives the person\host control over the world similar to (or even greater than) what Ford possesses. I think Arnold wanted a quasi-singularity, he wanted the bots to be masters of their own destiny and to give the AI the ability to shape the world, Ford on the other hand wants the bots to keep becoming more human but he doesn't want to relinquish control over them and the park. MiB wants to either wake the bots or take over the park himself, either way he doesn't intend to leave the park again.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 1, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The idea of Arnold still being around would feed into the idea of Ford as Zeus: he chained up Prometheus for giving the secret of fire to the mortals.

I still prefer the idea that Arnold is dead, and the hosts are hearing their own thoughts and desires and interpreting them as a voice of god.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: another pet peeve: maybe Im too dumb, but whats the point of making robots that can actually suffer, like seems to be the case? At the moment those robots are somehow capable of real pain, fear and sorrow, the park is no longer something like a GTA city and it becomes an absurdly cruel fun for real psychopats. I understand they wanted everything to look so real, but it would be just as easy to make the robots pretend to feel pain and fear, but for everything we seem its pretty clear that they actually feel. And having then actually feel pretty much spoils the fun for anyone who is not a sick person. I mean, it seems like they achieved not only true AI, but also true artificial feelings, and all that for a theme park where you get to kill and rape those AIs

That's what the narrative guy tells the CEO lady during the second episode, "why the gently caress are we making them more real all the time? nobody wants that" the answer is that Ford is still in charge and that he is doing it (with Bernard's help, it seems), he doesn't care at all about the whole "Westworld as an amusement park" angle, for him the park is something entirely different.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's what the narrative guy tells the CEO lady during the second episode, "why the gently caress are we making them more real all the time? nobody wants that" the answer is that Ford is still in charge and that he is doing it (with Bernard's help, it seems), he doesn't care at all about the whole "Westworld as an amusement park" angle, for him the park is something entirely different.

good point

That would also make Ford a very very sick person, but that's the impression Im getting from him from the last episodes anyway. He is the real villain of this world

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

qbert posted:

Was watching the "In Coming Weeks" preview for the show and noticed something.

At 0:41-0:43 William pulls out a knife that looks very familiar.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's the MiB's knife that featured prominently in the scene between him and Ford.

Yo the very same preview has Dolores wearing the outfit she just got with William and Logan, but in a scene with the Man in Black. Cmon.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If, and to the extent that, there are multiple timelines, I feel like tracking interactions between known characters is a good way to start pinning people down. I went back to try and disprove my own theory. It didn't work, but I noticed a few things that I think are important.

1. Mauve starts having flashbacks after Abernathy is swapped out for the bartender.
2. Mauve never appears or interacts with William's or Logan. In fact, there's another random black hooker out with Clementine when William passes by.
3. Lindsay buffs Mauve's perception and emotional acuity.
4. Bernard discussing his dead son Charley to his wife over the vidphone: "This pain, it's all I have left of him."
Dolores adapting a scripted dialogue about love in Episode 4: "This pain, their loss, is all I have left of them. You "think the grief will make you smaller inside, like your heart will collapse in on itself but it doesn't. I feel spaces opening up inside me, like a building with rooms I've never explored."

In my totally 100% unassailable theory, William's timeline is the last of those we've seen. Mauve isn't there because her boosted stats are allowing her to process the deep structure she's seen through the revelries faster than any other host. She's going to be the instigator of the second epoch crisis.

I'll bet Platinum that when Anthony Hopkins gets got, Mauve is the one to do it.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I predict the season will end with a giant robot rebellion and Ford will shut it down with his finger and then look sad and contemplative and then maybe take a nap.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

Yo the very same preview has Dolores wearing the outfit she just got with William and Logan, but in a scene with the Man in Black. Cmon.

The theory goes that she's following the exact same path as 30 years ago. If she is; wearing the same clothes means literally nothing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I really don't like the vampire theory. Vampires have been way overdone in the last couple of years and there are still something like 10 loving vampire shows running right now. gently caress vampires.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Yo the very same previews this should be in spoilers because not everyone watches the preview. Cmon.

She's hallucinated the MiB before.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Second Circle is Virtuous Pagans, so I'm not sure Sweetwater qualifies.

First circle is indeed the Virtuous Pagans, but its close.

The first Canto is not the first circle of hell but the part in the woods

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

She's hallucinated the MiB before.

If she is wearing clothes from the past and presumably in the past, why is she hallucinating an old MiB William from the future?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just remembered a book by the Strugatskys (of Roadside Picnic/STALKER fame) about a weird town full of people that is running some kind of experiment that nobody really understands. Jobs are reassigned at random all the time, buildings appear and disappear over night. Strange "events" and narratives are forced on the people and newcomers arrive from different times in earth's history and all appear to speak the same language. The only real information that the inhabitants get from authorities is that if they knew the purpose of the experiment it would affect the results and make it pointless. They tell them to just be patient. Later the inhabitants violently take control of the city and mount a huge expedition to find out what is out there.

It's a really awesome book and a cool allegory about intelligent life emerging/evolving in a world that they do not understand and trying to figure poo poo out and find their place in it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doomed_City

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

JossiRossi posted:

If she is wearing clothes from the past and presumably in the past, why is she hallucinating an old MiB William from the future?

Because the ship's AI accidentally mixed up the signals going to their cryosleep pods, duh. They're still a couple thousand years from Alpha Centauri so nothing to worry about.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

JossiRossi posted:

Obejection: Poster is assuming theories not in evidence and is also garbage.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I just remembered a book by the Strugatskys (of Roadside Picnic/STALKER fame) about a weird town full of people that is running some kind of experiment that nobody really understands. Jobs are reassigned at random all the time, buildings appear and disappear over night. Strange "events" and narratives are forced on the people and newcomers arrive from different times in earth's history and all appear to speak the same language. The only real information that the inhabitants get from authorities is that if they knew the purpose of the experiment it would affect the results and make it pointless. They tell them to just be patient. Later the inhabitants violently take control of the city and mount a huge expedition to find out what is out there.

It's a really awesome book and a cool allegory about intelligent life emerging/evolving in a world that they do not understand and trying to figure poo poo out and find their place in it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doomed_City

Sounds like Dark City/The Allegory of the Cave.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Wat? What is this crazy time travel chat?

edit: dumb question: what is the park itself? It is real? Like, physically real, or it is some sort of ARG/VR thing? Most of the time it does seems a 100% real place, a physical carefully built scenery. But then there is some occasions it dont, like when they used remote controlled special effects for MiB his escape, or the way Dolores seems to be hauled almost every night to some control room and then back even when she is supposed to be in the middle of nowhere, or the way Ford seems to teleport around

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 1, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

Wat? What is this crazy time travel chat?

edit: dumb question: what is the park itself? It is real? Like, physically real, or it is some sort of ARG/VR thing? Most of the time it does seems a 100% real place, a physical carefully built scenery. But then there is some occasions it dont, like when they used remote controlled special effects for MiB his escape, or the way Dolores seems to be hauled almost every night to some control room and then back even when she is supposed to be in the middle of nowhere, or the way Ford seems to teleport around

1. Several goons are convinced that the parts showing the man in black occur in the present while the parts showing Logan\William occured 34 years ago and are what led up to the death of Arnold and the incident. It's recommended to just kinda shrug and ignore this because they're very prickly about the whole thing.

2. the past episode kind of confirmed it's a real place on the surface of the earth, what with the GPS transmitter implanted into a host.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Guys I think VendaGoat might be questioning the nature of his reality a little too hard.

Don't try and figure our any guns, okay buddy?

Yeah VendaGoat I liked your posting at first because you were clearly really into the show, but you kinda need to dial it back a notch dude.

You said before you were drinking so maybe its all just crazy drunk posting but either way; chill a bit.

Arglebargle III posted:

The idea of Arnold still being around would feed into the idea of Ford as Zeus: he chained up Prometheus for giving the secret of fire to the mortals.

I still prefer the idea that Arnold is dead, and the hosts are hearing their own thoughts and desires and interpreting them as a voice of god.

Same, I think its just a voice in their head as part of becoming more aware, they're interpreting it as Arnold but its not.

If its actually arnold's soul inside the computer system that'll be weird, although it won't necessarily make me stop watching or anything. And depending how it goes that could be fun too, but I'm leaning much more towards the other idea.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Did anyone else dress up as a Westworld character for Halloween, or am I the biggest dork here?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Didn't know who el lazo was so I googled it and found this.

El Lazo transliterates into Spanish as "The Loop". More precisely the name means "The Lasso" or "The Noose".
https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/5aca2b/the_naming_of_el_lazo_is_incredibly_clever_spoiler/

neat!

Maeve is gonna propose some changes so thats cool.

I'm just here for the ride. I don't care about predicting whats gonna happen.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 1, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

1. Mauve starts having flashbacks after Abernathy is swapped out for the bartender.
2. Mauve never appears or interacts with William's or Logan. In fact, there's another random black hooker out with Clementine when William passes by.
3. Lindsay buffs Mauve's perception and emotional acuity.

It's Mulva.

When I first saw MiB take out the scalp, I assumed that the maze was some sort of circuit architecture that communicated/controlled the brain, given that it was sitting on the skull right over the brain.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

If anything, some of the MiB scenes seemed to be slightly behind Logan and William in terms of time/place this week.

In terms of "the voice", the westworld site host says that there did used to be a guiding voice of sorts put into the hosts' minds to help them. So it could have become obsolete after years of updates but Dolores is tapping back into it.
The concept of a divine voice that connects different parts of the mind is an old discredited concept and is where the title of the season's final episode comes from.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 1, 2016

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Anyone else getting Portal 2 vibes from some of the music, like what was playing over the end credits this week?

That could tie into another (dumb) theory about what's going on: someone put someone else's consciousness into a robot, said robot has gone bad. The fun comes in when you try to decide who is Cave Johnson and who is Carolyn in this scenario, and if "bad" is relative.

Right now it's a stretch but I've really enjoyed thinking about the possibilities. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CesiumCanoe posted:

Anyone else getting Portal 2 vibes from some of the music, like what was playing over the end credits this week?

That could tie into another (dumb) theory about what's going on: someone put someone else's consciousness into a robot, said robot has gone bad. The fun comes in when you try to decide who is Cave Johnson and who is Carolyn in this scenario, and if "bad" is relative.

Right now it's a stretch but I've really enjoyed thinking about the possibilities. :allears:

Well obviously Ford is Johson and Arnold is Carolyn.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I used to think the two timeliners were dumb as poo poo but now it is blatantly obvious they are doing some sort of fuckery there. I don't think that is the same as concluding William is the MIB however. How much time, exactly, has gone on during the MIBS quest vs will and logans excellent adventure? How does Maeves poo poo all figure into that chronologically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
At this point we don't know. Has anyone figured out how the guns work?

• Locked thread