Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
In the US, depending on where you live, criminal records are available online in various degrees of completeness.

So Google wherever + criminal records or arrest records or whatever other terms. Look for something official

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh believe me, I've tried. I can find when court was held for them but nothing else. Posting here is my last ditch effort to satisfy my gnawing curiosity.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Call the court and ask what the charge was.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Call the court and ask what the charge was.

I'm paranoid they'd be obligated to tell them I was asking. Would that be the case or?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

WickedHate posted:

I'm paranoid they'd be obligated to tell them I was asking. Would that be the case or?

I remember in the days before cell phones when I would call the US Naval Observatory Master Clock to find out what time it was, and Vice President Bush would call back and ask my dad why I wasn't wearing a watch. That was so embarrassing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Call the court. Ask. If they ask your name, hang up

Is it your girlfriend?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Call the court. Ask. If they ask your name, hang up

Is it your girlfriend?

It isn't. But fair enough, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why don't you ask the source of the original data regarding the trial in question? Like, if Jerry mentioned that your girlfriend was involved in some charges, go ask Jerry, duh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could always just hire a lawyer or PI to find this poo poo out mate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What does Pet Island have to do with any of this

except for bird law, of course

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

except for bird law, of course

That's a different can of worms.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What did your girlfriend do to Jerry? The legal minds in this thread crave closure.

I lost a hearing against a charity today and my client will be paying 13k additional US dollars. Can I claim that as a tax write off?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How much of that story can you tell because I am curious about it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you mean my story, it's all public. My job involves condemning land for road projects. The road authority hires appraisers to appraise the value of the land being acquired fit right of way and diminution in value to the property as a result if the acquisition. We take our appraiser before an independent panel who decide how much money the property owner should get.

In this case, the charity was along the expanding road. They asked for more than had been offered at the hearing. The independent panel agreed and awarded them more money.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Lol that sounds like Donald Trump stuff right there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Sup. Israeli goon here. tl;dr version in advance - I wrote a facebook post describing how a sales person cursed me and threw me out of the store, and now I'm about to get hit with a defamation suit.
(Check the original post for a longer, dumber version)

In any case. It seemed as though the threat was just empty bluster, since it's been almost a year with no action on their part. And then (dum dum dum........):

The store's official facebook account commented on my initial review, calling me a human being..

Would that be reason enough to sue the poo poo out of them, had this taken place in the United States?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
In some states in the US (California in particular), anti-SLAPP laws have been used to bring a suit against someone threatening SLAPP litigation. I don't know the exact result of these cases, but Mark Randazza brought one, I think, and he's generally seen as knowing what he's doing in that realm.

SLAPP suits are "strategic lawsuits against public participation" aka "filing lawsuits against customers who complain your product sucks." Anti-SLAPP laws are one of the better developments in the law here in the last 25(ish?) years.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

joat mon posted:

I remember in the days before cell phones when I would call the US Naval Observatory Master Clock to find out what time it was, and Vice President Bush would call back and ask my dad why I wasn't wearing a watch. That was so embarrassing.

Hahaha

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Xander77 posted:

(Check the original post for a longer, dumber version)

In any case. It seemed as though the threat was just empty bluster, since it's been almost a year with no action on their part. And then (dum dum dum........):

The store's official facebook account commented on my initial review, calling me a human being..

Would that be reason enough to sue the poo poo out of them, had this taken place in the United States?

No you can't sue someone for call you human being in America. You'd likely have to prove that they were trying to convince people you were actually gay, rather than using a childish insult

At least In Texas, anti-slapp is a motion to dismiss, so you gotta be sued first.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I, on the other hand, represent GOOD GOD FEARING AMERICAN TEXANS against CROOKED HOTDOGARY trying to take THERE LAND.

LIEK AND SHARE IF YOU AGREE!!!

- Isiah Thomas 4:51 "And for God so loved the war widow, that he found the improvements were a total loss on the remainder and awarded her full value of the home, due to its proximity to the 138kv lines in the easement."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If you mean my story, it's all public. My job involves condemning land for road projects. The road authority hires appraisers to appraise the value of the land being acquired fit right of way and diminution in value to the property as a result if the acquisition. We take our appraiser before an independent panel who decide how much money the property owner should get.

In this case, the charity was along the expanding road. They asked for more than had been offered at the hearing. The independent panel agreed and awarded them more money.

I really wanted a story in which you sued an orphanage.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

I really wanted a story in which you sued an orphanage.

In Texas you don't really "sue" the condemnee (the person who's 'graciously donating' their land to the public). The taking of the land just sort of occurs, the State always has to pay, and so the State offers the landowner a certain amount of money.

If they decline that amount, then the state and the landowner go to a county commissioners' hearing where a panel of three "experts" (very loose term) hear each side argue about the value of the property and they decide on the dollar amount the State has to pay.

If either side doesn't like the commissioners' decision, they can sort of appeal it to the local County Court, called "objecting to the award' and repeat the process in front of a Judge and a Jury and see if they like the outcome there better.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well guys we can close the thread.

LawBot - an AI to dispense legal advice!

It works... about as well as you expect:

https://popehat.com/2016/10/26/if-lawbot-wants-to-know-about-my-anus-im-sure-it-has-a-reason/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's not an AI, that's just a transcript from this thread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Technically, blarzgh, it's not county commissioners. It's three disinterested real property owners who reside in the county who serve as Special Commissioners. They're usually quite good, depending on the county. Tarrant, Denton, and Dallas have some who have done 500+ hearings.

Also, he's right. I don't technically sue them - it's an administrative hearing under the authority of the county courts at law.

But yeah, it was a meals on wheels. Gotta build them roads y'all.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Technically, blarzgh, it's not county commissioners. It's three disinterested real property owners who reside in the county who serve as Special Commissioners. They're usually quite good, depending on the county. Tarrant, Denton, and Dallas have some who have done 500+ hearings.

Also, he's right. I don't technically sue them - it's an administrative hearing under the authority of the county courts at law.

But yeah, it was a meals on wheels. Gotta build them roads y'all.

You said settlement and charity, I wanted you to be the kind of guy who would sue some orphans and nuns, ok.

I can see, however, how you might get tired of the dastardly lawyer trope.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

The problem is that no matter who we represent, we are always the dastardly lawyer to the other side.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

NancyPants posted:

You said settlement and charity, I wanted you to be the kind of guy who would sue some orphans and nuns, ok.

I would in fact sue orphans and nuns without a second thought. I've literally evicted a homeless guy from a homeless shelter. It's my job.

Everyone must bear the burden equally.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

There's a reason you guys are two of my favorite posters.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I would in fact sue orphans and nuns without a second thought. I've literally evicted a homeless guy from a homeless shelter. It's my job.

Everyone must bear the burden equally.

Lol

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
There is a company that keeps calling my cellphone to try and sell me health insurance and has been doing this for nearly a year. This number is enrolled in the Federal Do Not Call Registry. I've never done business with this company before and its employees don't follow any of the laws related to telemarketing. This company was operating under a fictitious name and I managed to track down the LLC behind the name using the Department of State's database. The information I found included the registered agent and authorized persons. Basically I want this company to stop calling me and be held accountable for their actions. What should my next step be?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 1, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Google your state tcpa lawyer

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Azuth0667 posted:

There is a company that keeps calling my cellphone to try and sell me health insurance and has been doing this for nearly a year. This number is enrolled in the Federal Do Not Call Registry. I've never done business with this company before and its employees don't follow any of the laws related to telemarketing. This company was operating under a fictitious name and I managed to track down the LLC behind the name using the Department of State's database. The information I found included the registered agent and authorized persons. What should be my next step? Basically I want this company to stop calling me and be held accountable for their actions. What should my next step be?

There was a thread a long time ago about a guy who basically made a living off of damages from junk faxes. Obviously, you'll probably want to talk to a lawyer to get your options, but this might be some nice beer money for you.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've contacted a TCPA attorney thanks law goons.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

THREAD SUCCESS STORY!

I just had an account sent to collections, after I received a statement that said zero balance due. I literally save every piece of paper I'm ever mailed regarding bills. Apparently the gas company at my old home billed me$25 bucks after they told me it was settled and never sent a new bill.

I literally used to practice FDCPA law, but I don't really care about damages. Should I handle it myself and tell them to get lost and erratics l waive the fee, or should I shop it to an FDCPA lawyer?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

THREAD SUCCESS STORY!

I just had an account sent to collections, after I received a statement that said zero balance due. I literally save every piece of paper I'm ever mailed regarding bills. Apparently the gas company at my old home billed me$25 bucks after they told me it was settled and never sent a new bill.

I literally used to practice FDCPA law, but I don't really care about damages. Should I handle it myself and tell them to get lost and erratics l waive the fee, or should I shop it to an FDCPA lawyer?

Public or private gas company?

If it's public, let bygones be bygones.

If it's private, bleed 'em loving dry.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

THREAD SUCCESS STORY!

Ask for your statutory damages, buy more booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I work in probation Intake, and had a novel question from an offender this morning. He was just sentenced after pleading to a felony, but had voted before the plea. Does the status get counted on election day, or at the time of voting? I doubt I'll see him again, but it made me curious. I'm not an agent, and the one agent I asked said she wasn't sure either. (I deflect all touchy questions as I'm not trained in the details).

Edit: Just got an answer from elsewhere, but it was interesting so I thought I would share. Voting precinct staff person I know said our state (WI) doesn't technically have early voting, it has in-person absentee voting. His ballot will be checked against a register of ineligible voters and discarded, as it is processed by staff. Not sure if he could/would be charged with fraud, as he was not ineligible on the date submitted.

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 1, 2016