Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Good choice. It looks great in grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

You have chosen... wisely.

You in the PNW?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

HandlingByJebus posted:

You have chosen... wisely.

You in the PNW?

East Seattle.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Are those two tires the same model? I ask, because it looks like the front tire is facing the wrong direction. Am I totally wrong here?

edit
and nevermind. I guess the Pilot Streets grooves run the opposite direction on the front and rear tire. :doh:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 29, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
PR4s are the same, looks weird!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've never owned a tyre set that doesn't look like that :shrug:

I mean I thought it was weird too when I was putting the contiGo!s on my cbf, but that's how they are. Presumably there's some science reason, I'm sure no tyre expert.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

-A n i m 8- posted:

East Seattle.

What the gently caress is east Seattle

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Bellevue? Redmond?

Bike looks sharp dude, enjoy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was going to say that my Pirelli Angels don't, but apparently I've been wrong the whole time!

:negative:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
if i had to make an uneducated guess i would say it is so the front tire diverts water instead of throwing it straight back at the rear

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Maybe it's because you want as much braking friction as possible on the front wheel but as much acceleration friction as possible on the rear, and the pattern directions influence that?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

if i had to make an uneducated guess i would say it is so the front tire diverts water instead of throwing it straight back at the rear

I assumed it would divert water better facing the other direction.

Z3n, we need you.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I believe with the front tread 'backwards' it would push the rain out laterally rather than funnel it directly to the rear , while the rear tire is going to be scooping the water up and sending it straight back but like i said that is just uneducated opinion

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The rear is siped to push water out during acceleration and the front is designed to push water out during deceleration.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Unf. If I could find an R3 on this island in those colors, I'd be all over it. I like muted, I like subtle (and Yammies are cheaper than the other Japanese bikes). Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, every R3 on this island looks like this:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

The rear is siped to push water out during acceleration and the front is designed to push water out during deceleration.

Thanks for clearing that up!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Idle thought, other than the position of the sprocket on the rear wheel, are wheels themselves directional? Would it matter if you put your front wheel on backwards if the tyre was the right way round?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Depends on the bike, some have left/right offset or are cast differently with respect to directional strength.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, if I put mine on backwards, the brake rotor would be on the wrong side.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean I thought it was weird too when I was putting the contiGo!s on my cbf, but that's how they are. Presumably there's some science reason, I'm sure no tyre expert.

Hey how did you find those btw? On my cbr they feel average in the dry but predictable but UTTERLY LETHAL at the slightest hint of moisture.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I did unstick the back quite a lot in the time I had them, but I can't comment how much of that was the tyres and how much was me being a new rider on a light 125 with an improperly adjusted (too high) brake pedal, since I don't have anything to compare them to on a similar bike.

But yeah I'd say my experience was largely the same, fine in the dry but definitely not confidence inspiring in the wet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There was a halloween party at work today so I bailed out at lunch and went riding instead

M42
Nov 12, 2012

meanwhile I'm at work like

(is your lunch during sunset, drat dogg)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

BlackMK4 posted:

There was a halloween party at work today so I bailed out at lunch and went riding instead

the cactus makes it look like your bike is giving us the finger

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's giving me the finger over thinking about selling it :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BlackMK4 posted:

What a good picture.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

That's a really good picture.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Goodbye CRF250L. Awesome dealer drove 300 miles round trip to go pickup one of 3 remaining red non-DCT models in FL and gave me a good deal. They delivered it after work last night.

I didn't take any other pictures. I was too excited to jump on and ride.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If you're in central FL, can we be friends?

Seriously that's a cool bike. How do you like it?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

No. 6 posted:

If you're in central FL, can we be friends?

Seriously that's a cool bike. How do you like it?

So far it's great, but I don't even have 100 miles on it. It's more comfortable than my Concours 14 was. Foot pegs are way too small for standing on. Engine sounds pretty good for a ptwin. The power seems more than enough to go get some Starbucks. Other than that I'm taking it easy for break in.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

BlackLaser posted:

Goodbye CRF250L. Awesome dealer drove 300 miles round trip to go pickup one of 3 remaining red non-DCT models in FL and gave me a good deal. They delivered it after work last night.

I didn't take any other pictures. I was too excited to jump on and ride.

Congrats, man! I would love to hear your thoughts after you put some more miles on it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Congratulations! The new AT looks like a sweet ride, pretty capable for off-road stuff too. What led you to it vs. the other bikes in the segment?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

M42 posted:

meanwhile I'm at work like

Noice. I found that riding with Agent Skelly on the back made my forearms ache because I had to bend way forward in order to keep her skull from bumping the back of my helmet all the time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

I ended up strapping its arms to the seat after a few days. Setting up a skeleton to cuddle me and my bulky backpack every morning got old quick.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Congratulations! The new AT looks like a sweet ride, pretty capable for off-road stuff too. What led you to it vs. the other bikes in the segment?

What segment is it in? All the reviewers are comparing it against the $20K+ KTM, Multistrada and 1200GS. I don't have the balls to take a $20K bike and drop it in the woods.

The alternatives at $13K are BMW F800, Tiger 800, Vstrom 1000. None of those are great off road. I am not a fan of the Supere Tenere looks wise.

I think the AT hits a price point and feature set that is perfect for what I want to do. Also I just think it looks rad.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

BlackLaser posted:

The alternatives at $13K are BMW F800, Tiger 800, Vstrom 1000. None of those are great off road. I am not a fan of the Supere Tenere looks wise.

I think the AT hits a price point and feature set that is perfect for what I want to do. Also I just think it looks rad.

I have a 2008 990 adventure and I'm jealous. I hoped to be on a Africa Twin by now (or add a 690 enduro) by now but finances didn't go that way. Looks great man and I too will be watching to see your thoughts on it after you get more time with it. Are you planning on changing the tires out anytime soon to something more dirt oriented?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

I have a 2008 990 adventure and I'm jealous. I hoped to be on a Africa Twin by now (or add a 690 enduro) by now but finances didn't go that way. Looks great man and I too will be watching to see your thoughts on it after you get more time with it. Are you planning on changing the tires out anytime soon to something more dirt oriented?

I will probably wait until after the first service to mess with tires, but yes. No idea what yet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BlackLaser posted:

What segment is it in? All the reviewers are comparing it against the $20K+ KTM, Multistrada and 1200GS. I don't have the balls to take a $20K bike and drop it in the woods.

I'd put it in the "Adventure Touring" segment, firmly on the adventure end since it's actually capable offroad. The KTM 1190 and 1190R are probably the closest things to it IMO, and yeah they might be a couple grand more at retail, but you can still find new 2015s going for mid-$13k. At that point it comes down to which bike you like better, and Honda reliability vs KTM ready to race/possibly have something stupid break at a bad time.

Either way I think it would be hard to go wrong. If I had any aspirations of doing real adventure riding I would've given it a hard look, but since I know I'll be on asphalt 99.999% of the time I went with a used Multi. We'll see how much I regret that decision when I hit my 7500 mile service.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Honda reliability vs KTM ready to race/possibly have something stupid break at a bad time.

That pretty much nails it. I'm not ready to race I sure don't need a bike that is. Also the Honda dealer is 4 miles from my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jazzzzz posted:

I went with a used Multi. We'll see how much I regret that decision when I hit my 7500 mile service.

My brother has a thing for those like I have a thing for the Uly. I will say the new one with the active suspension, DVT and reasonable partial-throttle manners is a nice bike. Putting any of them in sport mode feels like lighting up a solid rocket booster strapped to a la-z-boy.