Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Gaukler posted:

If someone destroys your dumb policy proposals on the internet, you're destroyed in real life.

I thought you just became a corn cob? The life of a corn cob isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

OddObserver posted:

The truth is in the middle! No, really: Russian citizens have poor access to information, poor ability to control things, yet they are not totally uninformed and a lot of them really do endorse the actions of the Putin regime.
It's absolutely true that the government and the people are different, but it's a mistake to assume that the problems come only from the government, and not, say, from societal attitudes.

I doubt Putin's true approval rating is 80% because in genuinely democratic societies, even really popular leaders rarely break 50%. Still, 82% is a better lie than something like 97%. Just about plausible.

However, I do think a lot of Russians genuinely like him (at least ones that aren't at risk of being shot in the back of the head for journalism.) He projects toughness and a lot of (dumb) people really respond to that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And the offer stands: Show me a USPOL post where I wished death on a poster and I will never post in USPOL again.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Pretty :goonsay: to assume that the Internet exists only to deliver movies and vidja. What about pretty much the sum total of all worthwhile scientific research, stored on American and European journal publishing websites, and indexed by Google Scholar and Pubmed?

Well the internet also delivers anime so

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god this is the third avatar change I've had in 2 hours.

WHAT DID I DO?

Hey quit hogging all the avatar changes. I haven't gotten even one and I long for white genocide!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I'm more sad that the cool and good avatar I had in between the bad ones got taken away and I hope that person didn't blow :10bux: in vain.

https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=WampaLord

Edit: Actually looks like this is missing some old ones

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

... Do you really not get the giant gaping flaw here? Like I'm honestly unsure if you're ignoring it or you just don't see the problem there?

I think it's arrogant as gently caress to believe that American websites are vital to the wellbeing of other developed nations. You might be right, but it seems like wishful thinking and "rah rah" America to me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I think it's arrogant as gently caress to believe that American websites are vital to the wellbeing of other developed nations. You might be right, but it seems like wishful thinking and "rah rah" America to me.
Oh, okay. Lmao. Sure thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

canepazzo posted:

Bad polls today with battleground states such as TX, IN and MO all moving back to double digits lead for Trump.

Serious question: would those states moving back to traditional redness account for the fact that national polls are tightening but real swing states not so much?

That's entirely possible. I'd read before that Clinton's surprising closeness in the red states was accounting for why she was at normal levels in the swing states but not winning more nationally.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

The best explanation of groverhaus came from this totally coincidental scene from Sesame Street:

this episode brought to you by the letter f and the number 22

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god this is the third avatar change I've had in 2 hours.

WHAT DID I DO?

Someone is mad you disagree with them on one small issue and wanted to give Lowtax :tenbux:.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kit Walker posted:

Hey quit hogging all the avatar changes. I haven't gotten even one and I long for white genocide!

your current redtext is more shameful imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Talmonis posted:

You do realize the significant role the US Government and business plays in the very functioning of the internet right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Talmonis posted:

This from the person who believes it is possible to cut Russia off from "American websites" entirely and wants to do so.

What do you think "American websites' are by the way, I'm curious?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Someone is mad you disagree with them on one small issue and wanted to give Lowtax :tenbux:.
Were you able to figure out how to link that post?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't like Putin. We don't need to go to war with Russia to retaliate for their shenanigans in our election.

Who is saying that? No-one. Clinton doesn't want to either, despite what Trumpistas pretend to believe. Neither Trump, Clinton nor Putin want war. Not all of them are 100% sane but they are sane enough to not want the apocalypse.

Big countries deal with other big countries differently than they deal with small countries. They play a sort of board game of snubbing, insults and sanctions. They can't go to war without destroying the world so they get petty.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/793502950748463104

FBI runs on Outback Steakhouse rules: NO RULES, JUST RIGHT [wing]
Seriously though is this going to do anything other than point out that the FBI is flailing about?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

I'm not American, but I already pointed out why your opinion was stupid and goony

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

Who is saying that? No-one.
People in this thread.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, CNN's topline is no longer EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS but rather 'Obamacare Rate Hike Not Actually That Bad', so that's nice.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Seriously though is this going to do anything other than point out that the FBI is flailing about?

Hopefully add another log to the funeral pyre currently being built under Comey's career.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, actually the definition of white privilege is that all white people have it

You can be disadvantaged and still be privileged

Believe it or not, being black or white isn't the only situation where the circumstances you are born into dictate your role in society in a way that is unfair and far beyond your control.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

your current redtext is more shameful imo

It's factually false, tho. I mean I guess that's the point but I've had it for ages and it's boring

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

canepazzo posted:

Bad polls today with battleground states such as TX, IN and MO all moving back to double digits lead for Trump.

Serious question: would those states moving back to traditional redness account for the fact that national polls are tightening but real swing states not so much?

Well, looking at the polls on RCP, Trump narrowly won NC, which is now tied, TX is TX so while this thread was furiously masturbating at the thought of a blue TX it's not surprising to see it get redder again (although that Trump +13 is quite high compared to how it was tightening over time), and Romney easily won Missouri so seeing Clinton down a little close to the margins Obama lost isn't much of a surprise.

The big takeaway from today's polls is that Clinton is still showing a decent lead in the Virginia polls and she has Pennsylvania on lock.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hey, jack chick died? Some good news during this election season at least!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

People in this thread.

This thread moves pretty drat fast and if there have been any I haven't seen any. I've seen a lot of people who don't like Russia, no-one who wants WW3.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yes it absolutely is you loving idiot, please stop repeating this. Congratulations on being Irish-American, but don't presume to speak for my country

Fair enough, I should have clarified. I am speaking entirely in the American context when I talk about the Irish. I understand the social and political realities of actual Irish citizens are rife with on-going and significant bigotry, but that is not the reality on the other side of the Atlantic. There is a very real attempt by people within the United States to use their ancestors' historical oppression to lessen their moral obligation to ongoing oppression, and that is what I am speaking my frustrations to.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Were you able to figure out how to link that post?

Crowsbeak could even just screencap it, if linking the quote is that difficult.

Of course, that would predicate upon it being real.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

This thread moves pretty drat fast and if there have been any I haven't seen any. I've seen a lot of people who don't like Russia, no-one who wants WW3.
It may just have been the one guy, actually.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

And the offer stands: Show me a USPOL post where I wished death on a poster and I will never post in USPOL again.

If you threatened a wall scroll is that enough to stop you from using caps?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I didnt say we should absolve Putin supporters. I said they don't have a meaningful say in what their government does and conflating the Russian people with their government is stupid.

I think we're mostly agreeing... what I am trying to say, though I think I am failing, is that what the Russian government does isn't totally divorced from the public. They cultivated nationalist impulses,
and now they feed the public blood to feed those impulses (with a lot of propaganda at the side for the majorities who aren't quite that bloodthirsty to phrase is a more ... humane ...
cause that still fulfills National Greatness). It's not a real democracy because there is no functional press that's widely consumed (and because of blatant poll stuffing), and there is a huge amount of
"parallel reality stuff" from propaganda just like there was in USSR, but the government still tries to attract actual public support and establish some sort of social contract. Any real solution to Russia
will have to understand that, rather than go "no Putin, no problem".

[1] And this campaign shows that we're getting dangerously close to this ourselves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Augus posted:

Believe it or not, being black or white isn't the only situation where the circumstances you are born into dictate your role in society in a way that is unfair and far beyond your control.

I know its not, but that also doesn't mean white people are privileged by being white.

No matter how bad your social, economic, or personal situation is, if you are white you are better off than any other race in a similar position

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Istvun posted:

If you threatened a wall scroll is that enough to stop you from using caps?
I don't know what this means.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh hey, jack chick died? Some good news during this election season at least!

He didn't get to live long enough to see the next, definitely this time, anti-Christ get elected. Sad!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Was it a post like "I, too, wish death on my political enemies?" Because, uh, that's a pretty common way of expressing sarcastic disapproval when someone legitimately wishes death on someone.

Sorry don't get sarcasm.

Also the love Putin gets comes from despair. Russians need someway to think their nation still matters and Putin by being a bully who interferes in the west provides that. They have nothing else.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough, I should have clarified. I am speaking entirely in the American context when I talk about the Irish. I understand the social and political realities of actual Irish citizens are rife with on-going and significant bigotry, but that is not the reality on the other side of the Atlantic. There is a very real attempt by people within the United States to use their ancestors' historical oppression to lessen their moral obligation to ongoing oppression, and that is what I am speaking my frustrations to.

:respek: I can live with that

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Imagine the shitstorm if by pure happenstance the official FBI twitter tweeted about something - anything - related to Trump's myriad investigations one week before the election. He'd be reading Comey the Hatch Act from a teleprompter tonight.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait is there even anything in that FBI Clinton foundation release? It's redacted to hell.

Also FAU needs to stop wishing for people's deaths in every post.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This from the person who believes it is possible to cut Russia off from "American websites" entirely and wants to do so.

What do you think "American websites' are by the way, I'm curious?

I did specify "If such a thing were possible." I'm sure as hell no expert, nor claim to be.

Servers hosted in the U.S.?

Again, the hope would be that such a cultural embargo would anger the Russian populace enough to replace Putin, rather than continue to worship his macho posturing and annexation of neighbors. It'd be a petty action in response to petty actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Sorry don't get sarcasm.
Show me the post.

• Locked thread