Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

woah the final fantasy people are a tough crowd
We're moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

FactsAreUseless posted:

"You came to the wrong neighborhood, mother fucker!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NDOKsK5oc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's not even close to what that post says

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i just made myself a secret of mana avatar today, which is like final fantasy, but good

:/ Kay dude.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

som's combat is really tedious which is impressive for a zelda style game all you have to do is press a button to attack fortunately square mixed things up by ading cool down timers to the button and making you have to hold the button for 30 seconds instead of just tapping it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played SoM for half an hour or so and it was really charming but the gameplay felt bad and boring. Does it get better?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i just played through a SOM hack that adds a block button. it makes the combat pretty amazing. too bad the magic system still really sucks (despite being pretty)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played SoM for half an hour or so and it was really charming but the gameplay felt bad and boring. Does it get better?

ehh, not really. these days its mostly rose tinted glasses. it was a game of great potential rather than execution

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the mana game to play is legond of man only on the sony playstation

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
som really had a lot going for it if they had stuck with their not-turned based approach. the combat is simple but would be a good platform to build on to, especially as a CO-OP game

but then they jam fisted a turn based magic system into it. this wasn't from it being rushed either. they go all in on this dumb magic system for seiken densetsu 3 (which translated to english comes out to, roughly, A Real Bad Game)

look i am still bitter about this over 20 years later

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nebalebadingdong posted:

som really had a lot going for it if they had stuck with their not-turned based approach. the combat is simple but would be a good platform to build on to, especially as a CO-OP game

but then they jam fisted a turn based magic system into it. this wasn't from it being rushed either. they go all in on this dumb magic system for seiken densetsu 3 (which translated to english comes out to, roughly, A Real Bad Game)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
please i just really need someone to talk to about this i keep bringing it up with my family and my wife is like "im getting a divorce"

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

please i just really need someone to talk to about this i keep bringing it up with my family and my wife is like "im getting a divorce"

This poo poo is just retarded bro. Stop posting like this.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Huh?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh. Ha ha

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Stop

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 are both win.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

rediscover posted:

Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 are both win.

i agree with the idiot no i am not talking to myself

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
SD3 is real bad. you move so slow in combat you that you can't avoid your enemies. spells don't just stop the the caster and target (like in SOM), but the whole drat game and you and enemies both will be spamming the poo poo out of spells and abilities towards the end. the dungeon designs are really horrid and sprawling, with all the rooms looking the very much the same. the last third of the game is a real slog

it is really pretty tho, and an official Woolsey translation would make it far better worth playing

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 1, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played secret of mana on Wii VC for a hour or two and reached the boss of the first level and it insta wiped me because I had never seen its attack animations before and there was no save point in the dungeon so once I realized I had to play it all again I stopped playing it

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i can't believe how powerful the calculator is in fft. especially on maps where your squad all starts on the same height. buff the poo poo out of them and then just roll over everyone.

now that i have all the skills and switched back to a mage the speed boost just breaks it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

In Training posted:

I played secret of mana on Wii VC for a hour or two and reached the boss of the first level and it insta wiped me because I had never seen its attack animations before and there was no save point in the dungeon so once I realized I had to play it all again I stopped playing it

som's hosed up difficulty curve is one of several unfortunate side effects of it being rushed. that boss ended up being one of the most difficult in the game (tho there is a save point just before, you have to talk to the cat-man). in fact, all the boss fights frankly suck big time (its just spamming magic over and over), even tho the bosses themselves look pretty cool.

the general story is that the designer's vision was compromised by the sony/nintendo playstation deal that fell through, since they had to restart the project from scratch but still meet a hard deadline. i only half buy it. with more time, it probably would've just become more like SD3.

som was a pretty major departure from the usual FF stuff, in gameplay, graphics and story. it was bright and action oriented. even more important: there was less dialogue, as the game tried to show instead of tell (most of the time). it pushed square out of its comfort zone.

square would return to the old formula immediately after. i've probably played FF6 more than any square game, but it feels like such a regression, even if its more polished. the colors are muted, its stiff and unanimated, and advances its story with exposition. still, som-like stuff crept in. when the tiny character sprites don't conform to the rigid tile grid, and when the translation is at its woolsey-est, the game is quite excellent.

SD3 ends up as an FF game in som clothing. its got FF6's earthy palette that looks quite excellent, but gameplay wise its a clunky bastardization. and its full of exposition. (the fan translation is not bad tho, god bless them)

som's spirit lives on in square's best game. several of the developers admitted that many of the ideas that got cut from som found a home here, and i think it shows. its highly animated, the dialogue is hilarious and characterful, and exposition is kept to a minimum

(goddamn, do i love ted woolsey)

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i dont care about secret of mana in the final fanty thread you piece of crap

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
A quite excellent post about [Secret of Mana]
.............. NOT!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

i can't believe how powerful the calculator is in fft. especially on maps where your squad all starts on the same height. buff the poo poo out of them and then just roll over everyone.

now that i have all the skills and switched back to a mage the speed boost just breaks it.

true, but in the time it takes to grind up a calculator you could probably break the game in half a dozen other ways (that's a good thing)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like that guys post. Enthusiasm is good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like that guys post. Enthusiasm is good
You know who else had enthusiasm? Kefka.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

P-Mack posted:

true, but in the time it takes to grind up a calculator you could probably break the game in half a dozen other ways (that's a good thing)

what's your favourite way. I only know about calculators, cid and ramza casting cheer up a lot

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

P-Mack posted:

yeah the early grinding is so hard because of their speed and completely useless moveset until you unlock all the numbers. casting haste doesn't even help.

it's amazing how fast you can get some jobs to completion. dancer is insanely fast.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i preordered ffxv last night because idgaf

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Cant believe this is the month...... XV has come to...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

a Loving Dog posted:

Its gonna be fuckin good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

did they detail what the online multiplayer for XV was? Seems like a wild last minute addition but they've done literally everything else in the playbook with XV so why not

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

did they detail what the online multiplayer for XV was? Seems like a wild last minute addition but they've done literally everything else in the playbook with XV so why not

This is sincerely the first I've heard about it. Wtf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This is sincerely the first I've heard about it. Wtf

Looking it up I also found out that XV has a Director and a Director of DLC lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've also read that combat has been improved from the demo to the point where the demo doesn't even reflect the final product, which is a great way to make a demo!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

It's gonna be really good

In Training posted:

There's gonna be online co-op DLC after release

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ff15 is so cool, i hope it never releases

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

ff15 is so cool, i hope it never releases

ha. although i hope it does because i want to play it anyway

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

I've also read that combat has been improved from the demo to the point where the demo doesn't even reflect the final product, which is a great way to make a demo!

The big change seems to be a wait mode where it becomes semi-turn based to give you some planning time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

noctis lucis caelum
prompto argentum
ingnis sciencia
gladiolous amicita