Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the n64 controller is good besides the self-destructive control stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

the n64 controller is good besides the self-destructive control stick

It was good as a kid but when i hold one now it doesnt fit right. Committing harder to analog and not having a wasted wing for a dpad would have made for a nice redesign after a few years but they stuck with the same look for some reason the whole life of the system.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater comes to mind, where you could only listen to 50 seconds of each music track because they couldn't fit it on the Cartridges.

They should have sequenced those bad boys, it would have been hilarious

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I could swear that later-made N64 controllers didn't die as easily, but that's just because I've been using the same controller since 1998 just fine

I think it was a good idea for them to keep the d-pad available and separate from the stick, in case the stick didn't catch on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

For me it pretty much boiled down to:
PS1 was the console with all the JRPGs and Racing Sims and better music and better controller and much larger 3rd party support. Squaresoft was pretty much the big dick granddaddy of games that era and IIRC there wasn't any SS games on the N64, or at least none I knew about. And if you wanted your fancy FMV cutscenes that were so popular then, you were basically poo poo out of luck if you owned an N64.

All the N64 versions of multi-platform games sucked compared to their PS1 counterparts, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater comes to mind, where you could only listen to 50 seconds of each music track because they couldn't fit it on the Cartridges.

the n64 controller was kind of bad for things that weren't platforming. I remember having to play turok and what not using the dpad to move and the stick in the right hand to aim, and then akwardly reaching for the A and B buttons to switch weapons. I didn't get a playstation till after they came out with the dual shock though so this doesn't really count.

I still loved the N64 though don't get me wrong. Mischief makers, SF64, MK64, Diddy kong racing, which was better than Mario kart imo, goldeneye. um others.

TL;DR
Squaresoft JRPGs

In Turok you're supposed to use the c buttons for movement man.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PlayStation had Ape Escape so Q.E.D.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope this doesn't mean almost all the music in Smash 4 have to be under two and a half minutes again in order to fit them all on a cartridge.

They cut out like half of the DK Rap for that reason.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Not a Children posted:

I could swear that later-made N64 controllers didn't die as easily, but that's just because I've been using the same controller since 1998 just fine

I think it was a good idea for them to keep the d-pad available and separate from the stick, in case the stick didn't catch on.

My actually Nintendo N64 controller lasted for like 8 years and was still technically fine after that, but I gave away my system. My third-party second controller's analog stick got all loosey-goosey within a year of purchase.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

It was good as a kid but when i hold one now it doesnt fit right. Committing harder to analog and not having a wasted wing for a dpad would have made for a nice redesign after a few years but they stuck with the same look for some reason the whole life of the system.

i dunno i play majora's mask every now and then on a 64 and the controller's still nice. i've got dainty lady hands though + i changed the stick with a gcn style replacement though. if anything i wish it had the gcn a/b buttons

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Not a Children posted:

How much Mario Party 1 did you play?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Takoluka posted:

A shitload. Got 60 turns on fly guy and everything.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

All the N64 versions of multi-platform games sucked compared to their PS1 counterparts, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater comes to mind, where you could only listen to 50 seconds of each music track because they couldn't fit it on the Cartridges.

Friendly reminder that the Dreamcast versions of THPS1 and 2 had the full soundtrack. I believe PS1 didn't have lyrics to the songs or had half the songs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Beastie posted:

Friendly reminder that the Dreamcast versions of THPS1 and 2 had the full soundtrack. I believe PS1 didn't have lyrics to the songs or had half the songs.

i didn't even know cutting down the soundtrack was a thing bc i only played these games on sega's dreamcast, the greatest gaming system of all time

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Takoluka posted:

Did anybody ever receive their official glove?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

wicka posted:

i didn't even know cutting down the soundtrack was a thing bc i only played these games on sega's dreamcast, the greatest gaming system of all time

And the greatest gaming console deserves the greatest gaming bag of all time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Takoluka posted:

When I was a kid I thought those backpacks with the transparent window were the poo poo. I don't think I fully appreciated my indestructible, monogrammed L.L. Bean backpack until like high school.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

deadly_pudding posted:

When I was a kid I thought those backpacks with the transparent window were the poo poo. I don't think I fully appreciated my indestructible, monogrammed L.L. Bean backpack until like high school.

Had one of those too. I heard the quality on them isnt the same but mine lasted from 6th to 12th grade

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Takoluka posted:

No thanks I keep mine on an enormous pedestal at the end of a reflecting pool shaped like a VMU.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The better ports were awesome on DC, I always liked my DC version of soul reaver, but that console never really did it for me, I way preferred the saturn though that's pretty much solely because of the panzer dragoon games.

greatn posted:

In Turok you're supposed to use the c buttons for movement man.

yeah but that was loving retarded. dpad+stick was far superior. tho both are better than that weird turn and move with the stick thing the default goldeneye, and pretty much every other FPS game on the n64 had.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
And here I am, still with my 2 original snes controllers.

They don't make them tough like they used to.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The New Kids song "Hanging Tough" was actually about Nintendo consoles and accessories.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Takoluka posted:

Will my Nintendo Switch fit in this bag?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Imagine how bitchin VMUs could be in 2016. For one you won't be breaking bank on batteries

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the entire switch is one giant VMU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

I'm going to start a petition for a Pocket Card Jockey port or direct sequel.

This is a good argument for the NX having a touchscreen.

That said, card games were like the one saving grace of the resistive screen. On NX, I might as well be playing it on my phone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

Imagine how bitchin VMUs could be in 2016. For one you won't be breaking bank on batteries

don't they have tamogachi on phones

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
My name's Hace, and I'm here to say the Dualshock is good as hell

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If you run the Nintendo Switch under cold water, a secret message will appear on the screen.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a.lo posted:

If you run the Nintendo Switch under cold water, a secret message will appear on the screen.

the message is "waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Hace posted:

My name's Hace, and I'm here to say the Dualshock is good as hell

gently caress yeah it is

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Soul Glo posted:

gently caress yeah it is

It was great until the Microsoft controller S and then the 360 controller took a big steaming poo poo on both. I still prefer the 360's triggers to the DS4's and whatever clicky silliness Nintendo is doing these days, actually I haven't used the Wii-U pro controller.

alf_pogs posted:

the message is "waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

Are you saying the Switch is an Ork?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It was great until the Microsoft controller S and then the 360 controller took a big steaming poo poo on both. I still prefer the 360's triggers to the DS4's and whatever clicky silliness Nintendo is doing these days, actually I haven't used the Wii-U pro controller.

Are you saying the Switch is an Ork?

Hes saying its a witch (switch) and melting from water probably?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now I want the Switch to make a Waluigi waaaaaaah everytime I turn it on.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Dreamcast issues:

The cord came out the wrong end of the controller

Not trying to nitpick but I just want to point out: there was a little notch in the case behind where the VMU went in, that was meant to clip the cord in to point it the right way. Well, see you next time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reiley posted:

Not trying to nitpick but I just want to point out: there was a little notch in the case behind where the VMU went in, that was meant to clip the cord in to point it the right way. Well, see you next time.

word.
see ya then

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Lodin posted:

Hasn't it been a while since you two hung out? Maybe give your friend a call. I have a feeling he'd appreciate it.

Waluigi posted:

Now I want the Switch to make a Lodin lohhhhhhh everytime I turn it on.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

*Suspends self hanging by ankles from ceiling*

"The cord comes out the wrong side!!"

*Dog triple axels into cord, killing self and dragging console to floor*

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lodin posted:

I want my Switch to announce, "OH YEAH! WARIO TIME!" every time it comes out of sleep mode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want mine to shout "you spent $300 to play the original Mario Brothers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

I want my Switch to announce, "OH YEAH! WARIO TIME!" every time it comes out of sleep mode.

They should sell themes like 3DS with this being one of the features.

• Locked thread