Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

what sort of cords and dongles would I need to use a 2010 27" iMac as a monitor in target mode with usb-c off a new mbp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

#1 rule of Mac pricing is that it never makes sense

My personal experiences with the 15" Retina model.

2012 - $650-$750
2013 - $700-850
2014 - $1000 integrated graphics, $1200 GPU
2015 - $1200+

The 16GB or 512GB options don't always add value. You'd think the early model 8GB/256GB wouldn't break $700 but they do. To buy a 512GB drive on it's own on eBay and upgrade a 256GB model is going to cost you almost $300. But a laptop with a 512GB from the factory doesn't really cost much more to buy. And the 256GB drives aren't worth much on the resale market. The only thing you can use them for is the 13" models that came with the 128GB and for some reason, people aren't really itching to upgrade those.

The 13's are priced oddly.

$600-$700 is where they start for a 2012 or 2013.
2014 could go for $700-$900
I've seen 2015's for $1100 but you can find them refurbished or at places like Best Buy/B&H or with student discounts so I don't know why you'd buy one for that much used.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Twerk from Home posted:

Keep in mind when buying less than 1 year old Macs on craigslist that a decent amount of them are stolen. Not saying specifically that one is, but someone selling a 1 year old PC for half price is suspicious.

The reasonable expectation for the Macbook ultraportable is that with the Kaby Lake update coming sometime in the next 6 months, they're also going to make it's single port a Thunderbolt 3, right?

So if I'm looking to spend $1300 to $1500 on a MBP for my film editing, what should I be looking for?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

what sort of cords and dongles would I need to use a 2010 27" iMac as a monitor in target mode with usb-c off a new mbp?

USB C to DisplayPort - $34.99

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12908

Female Displayport to Mini DisplayPort male - $4.63

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042803&p_id=5714&seq=1&format=2

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thank you, kind sir.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mordiceius posted:

So if I'm looking to spend $1300 to $1500 on a MBP for my film editing, what should I be looking for?

Like everybody here is saying, buy a loaded 8 month old one for $1600 less than it cost new.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Twerk from Home posted:

Like everybody here is saying, buy a loaded 8 month old one for $1600 less than it cost new.

But apparently if it's cheap, it's probably stolen and I shouldn't buy it? I feel like I'm missing something.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

But apparently if it's cheap, it's probably stolen and I shouldn't buy it? I feel like I'm missing something.

retailer refurb != craigslist

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

retailer refurb != craigslist

Should I be just looking at the Apple Store or are there better retailers? Because the cheapest 15" MBP on the Apple Store is still $1700 before taxes.

Edit: I'm literally an idiot when it comes to this whole process as I've only ever built my PCs before and haven't purchased or owned any laptops.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 31, 2016

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033
gently caress this, I'm getting a maxed out 27" imac I guess. All the power I want for less than the cost of the MBP.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e: actually, that's a stupid post

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Pivo posted:

Solar panel roads are completely infeasible and will never be a reality, eGPUs can actually work, and already do work in some capacity and do provide a significant benefit. They just cost too much, and on the Mac, the driver support isn't there. The hardware support exists though. I can imagine a TB dock with a PCIe slot for an eGPU, but the dock will be expensive and the bandwidth to the GPU will be limited. Would still beat the pants off a mobile GPU... This isn't science fiction, unlike solar roadways.

I personally have been very interested in the AKiTiO Node since I learned of its existence two days ago. Doesn't look like it's going to have any extras like USB or ethernet, but I sure as gently caress would never pay what Razer is charging to get that poo poo. Hopefully soon means before March.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mordiceius posted:

Should I be just looking at the Apple Store or are there better retailers? Because the cheapest 15" MBP on the Apple Store is still $1700 before taxes.

Edit: I'm literally an idiot when it comes to this whole process as I've only ever built my PCs before and haven't purchased or owned any laptops.

Apple refurbs are the best refurbs you can get since they have the same warranty, new casing, and new batteries. Getting one off Craigslist can be a crap shoot. If it has no warranty left then don't buy it. Basically use common sense and if something is super cheap or shady then don't give your money.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

I think both AMD and NVidia will release eGPU versions of their flagship products within a year or two.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mordiceius posted:

I plan on using the computer for film editing with adobe premiere.

Not going to lie, I'm having a hard time imagining doing any serious editing on a laptop.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bone app the teeth posted:

I think both AMD and NVidia will release eGPU versions of their flagship products within a year or two.

Wait what would be the point of this? Isn't the whole idea behind eGPU is that you can buy an off-the-shelf GPU and stick it in the enclosure as-is, and the enclosure is the one with the special sauce?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not to mention as far as AMD and nVidia are concerned, eGPU users who are going to use them for speeding up video editing and animation are probably an even smaller market subset than the hobbyists and overclockers. Why would they spend R&D dollars making something for an unproven market?

In actual kinda hardware news, someone has already figured out how to bring the startup sound back to the Late 2016 MacBook Pros. The drat sound is encoded in the ROMs, so how could you really get rid of it permanently? (No, Apple's too lazy to re-program the ROMs without loving up something.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Bought that 2015 refurb rMBP to replace my 2012 non-rMBP, it's pretty nice. I have a feeling in two years I'm going to have a bunch of USB-C devices and be very upset but I'm happy right now.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Mordiceius posted:

Either buy from Apple's refurb store, or locally from craigslist, or from reddit's AppleSwap subreddit. Be smart. If it sounds too good to be true it is. That said, I just bought a 15" mid-2015 with the 2.5 GHz i7, 16GB of RAM, the dGPU, and the 512GB SSD along with 3 years of AppleCare for $1800. So there are deals to be had.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Regarding the touch bar and stepping thru code using F keys. I actually almost never step line by line thru code as it's super slow and tedious while rife with user error like stepping out vs stepping in. I'll either use breakpoints, run to cursor, or break on error.

The dongles though...

eames
May 9, 2009

UIST Student Innovation Contest 2010 Concept Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojusRO38Tdc
I'm fairly sure that's what is planned for the MBP, the technology for the full keyboard just isn't there yet.

"Apple can't innovate anymore, my ***."

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

UIST Student Innovation Contest 2010 Concept Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojusRO38Tdc
I'm fairly sure that's what is planned for the MBP, the technology for the full keyboard just isn't there yet.

"Apple can't innovate anymore, my ***."

someone buy this guy an account:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nerdz posted:

someone buy this guy an account:

Don't doxx me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple will eventually make touchscreen laptops and then the touch bar will completely go away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple will eventually make touchscreen laptops and then the touch bar will completely go away.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
People are reporting that Amazon sent an email saying the listing for MBPs at $800 off was a computer glitch but that one order per customer will be honored.

Meh.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

$800 off seems like a pretty good deal given what they've taken out of the machine. $800 can buy lots of dongles.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guys. Just got my Retina 5K iMac. It's amazzzing. And as soon as I'm brave enough to unplug it, I'll be adding 16 gigs to the 8 that came with it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

LionArcher posted:

Guys. Just got my Retina 5K iMac. It's amazzzing. And as soon as I'm courageous enough to unplug it, I'll be adding 16 gigs to the 8 that came with it.
Fixed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/Razer/status/793499214311411713

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing says "pro" more than saying "suck my dick" (to, if you want to read it uncharitably,
Tim Cook) and what seems to be a touchpad to the right of the keyboard.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

razer make some good things but their entire image is embarrassing to a fault

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

well why not posted:

That's pretty much the whole "gaming" PC market space .

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

As per Dan Frakes, here's a Google spreadsheet that lets you compare all of the Late 2016 MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

https://t.co/8I3Bu9oBSD

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just got a shiny loaded 21 inch 4K iMac at work. My old late 2009 was barely hanging in there. I'm OK with it as anything new would blow my old machine away and I'm not sure when Kaby Lake desktops will be out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How are 2014 MBPs? I found someone selling a "2014 2.5Ghz / 16GB / 512GB SSD / GT750M, it is almost brand new with 7 battery cycles and is under the standard one year Applecare warranty until 10/2017 and can be extended to three years"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wow this is super tasteless.

The tweet is also bad.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mordiceius posted:

How are 2014 MBPs? I found someone selling a "2014 2.5Ghz / 16GB / 512GB SSD / GT750M, it is almost brand new with 7 battery cycles and is under the standard one year Applecare warranty until 10/2017 and can be extended to three years"
I'm using a late 2013 rMBP for going on three years, can't find a reason to get a new one. Lightroom and PS with ~600MB images is the most work it sees.

I'd buy that instead of this new poo poo in a heartbeat.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

well why not posted:

Bro, it's about ethics in hardware design bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hahhaha so sick.