Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't believe our republic is at risk of chaos because the Clinton campaign couldn't find enough dirt on Donald loving Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kawabata posted:

maybe I'm brain farting, but at cost of sounding like Homer I'll ask: is it reputable or not then?

Yes, an "A rating" means good.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

3 most recent NC Polls are:

Trump +7
Tied
Trump +2

Don't forget NY Times Upshot had Clinton up 6 or 7. And up 5.5 or so taking early voting into account.

Trump up would also go against both dem and GOP internals.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Empress Theonora posted:

like does this even line up with other recent NC polls?????

oh god

oh god

Take a breath and count to ten friend. Go for a walk outside, pet a dog.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

People hate her.

If that was true they probably would change their mind so close to the election.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't believe our republic is at risk of chaos because the Clinton campaign couldn't find enough dirt on Donald loving Trump.

Well, that, and the FBI chose a side. Publicly.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A +7 is outlier-y as all hell.

Also, as long as Nate keeps aggregating complete poo poo like those Google Consumer Surveys, which this time around have New York closer than Wisconsin, and Clinton +8 in Kansas, poo poo's gonna be a little weird.

Also this from his article about how much Dems should be worrying today:

quote:

natesilver (Nate Silver, editor in chief): A 5 or 6 sounds about right. And Republicans should be at a 7 or 8.

Everyone arzy! Buy my book! Buy my book! Real sick of Shook Nate this cycle.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

3 most recent NC Polls are:

Trump +7
Tied
Trump +2

The Trump +2 is from Remington Research and if you exclude that, the next most recent one is Clinton +2.

You're neglecting two Clinton +3 polls from the same timeframe as the tie and that the Trump +2 is from Remington, that out-of-nowhere firm run by Cruz's former campaign manager and unrated on 538.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Yes, an "A rating" means good.

but what is the 538

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Why are we arzying again?

Doesn't she like not need NC?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Is there somewhere to look at the cross tabs for that poll yet? I can't find it on SurveyUSA's site?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Josh Lyman posted:

They found more than enough dirt. They just can't convince enough people to vote for her affirmatively.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

Well if you read Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss...

(Don't read it, Rothfuss is a lovely author)

Why would your tarnish this thread with awful literature when it's already too much Trump

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
It's weird how "Clinton emails" dominating a news cycle or two causes her poll numbers to drop so quickly. Are there really people out there who were like "eh... I guess I'll vote for Clinton... wait what was that? Emails?! Guess I'll stay home/vote for Trump. This is surely news I havent heard before"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You're neglecting two Clinton +3 polls from the same timeframe as the tie and that the Trump +2 is from Remington, that out-of-nowhere firm run by Cruz's former campaign manager and unrated on 538.

In the post you quoted I noted that the +2 is from Remington Research though...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Clinton campaign (and plenty of other people) found plenty of dirty on Donald Trump. It just didn't stick.

Also, you know, the FBI intentionally attempting to influence the election.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dexo posted:

Like this thread needs an excuse.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dexo posted:

She doesn't - but when it's coming amidst a swarm of other polls showing the race getting closer, people are sweating it. We've seen Ohio drift from other swing state polling but nothing indicates why NC should, suddenly.

It's just an outlier though. At least complacency brought by a big lead won't be an issue next week!

ImpAtom posted:

The Clinton campaign (and plenty of other people) found plenty of dirty on Donald Trump. It just didn't stick.

Also, you know, the FBI intentionally attempting to influence the election.

At this point Trump has been buried in dirt. There's just a stubborn 40-45% of the electorate that doesn't care.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kawabata posted:

but what is the 538

Nate Silver's election model.

Recently acquired by the New York Times. Google 538 forecast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mcmagic posted:

They found more than enough dirt. They just can't convince enough people to vote for her affirmatively.

Clinton's voters have a higher proportion of voting for her vs voting against Trump than Trump's voters have.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Antti posted:

She doesn't - but when it's coming amidst a swarm of other polls showing the race getting closer, people are sweating it. We've seen Ohio drift from other swing state polling but nothing indicates why NC should, suddenly.

It's just an outlier though. At least complacency brought by a big lead won't be an issue next week!

It absolutely has to be an outlier. Nothing else has suggested such a huge collapse.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dexo posted:

It's not one of her firewall states, but it's knocking on the firewall's door, and a Trump lead that large would be a seriously ominous bellwether.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

In the post you quoted I noted that the +2 is from Remington Research though...?

My bad, in my don't-panic reflex I somehow became temporarily blind. :downs:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nate Silver's election model.

Recently acquired by the New York Times. Google 538 forecast.

538 hasn't been part of the NYT for ages. The Upshot is the NYT's current election forecast.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pakled posted:

Clinton's voters have a higher proportion of voting for her vs voting against Trump than Trump's voters have.

You're making my point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Padams posted:

It's weird how "Clinton emails" dominating a news cycle or two causes her poll numbers to drop so quickly. Are there really people out there who were like "eh... I guess I'll vote for Clinton... wait what was that? Emails?! Guess I'll stay home/vote for Trump. This is surely news I havent heard before"

Apparently, yes.

I generally disagree with people in USPol who insist that most voters don't care about the emails. I think most voters don't care about the details of the emails, but the perception of illegal activity is definitely enough to scare away some potential voters. Those potential voters are probably just staying home, in this case, not running to Trump or a third-party.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

538 hasn't been part of the NYT for ages. The Upshot is the NYT's current election forecast.

Indeed, ESPN owns 538 now.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

+7 from a reputable pollster is a bit more than a weird outlier though. Like even if their MoE is entirely towards Trump that's still huge.

Your right, I looked up the math on this. If Clinton is actually up in NC, say by +1 or +2, then the chances that a random representative sample from a well-designed poll with a MoE of like 3 or 4% (which is supposed to be 2 standard deviations), would come up with Trump +7 (about 4 sd) is extremely low, like a tenth of a percent.

Unlikely events happen though when you get hundreds of polls every week. So, this is either an extremely unlikely outlier, or Trump is winning in North Carolina, or there are serious structural problems with how that poll (which was A-rated in 2012) attempts to get a representative sample.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Empress Theonora posted:

That's right. It was recently sold to ESPN, not the NYT.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually it's because a huge part of the country doesn't care about the immense amount of dirt on Donald Trump that's out there.

zen63
Sep 1, 2006
Let me fix that for you:

Night10194 posted:

It absolutely has to be an outlier. Nothing else has YET suggested such a huge collapse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Northjayhawk posted:

Your right, I looked up the math on this. If Clinton is actually up in NC, say by +1 or +2, then the chances that a random representative sample from a well-designed poll with a MoE of like 3 or 4% (which is supposed to be 2 standard deviations), would come up with Trump +7 (about 4 sd) is extremely low, like a tenth of a percent.

Unlikely events happen though when you get hundreds of polls every week. So, this is either an extremely unlikely outlier, or Trump is winning in North Carolina, or there are serious structural problems with how that poll (which was A-rated in 2012) attempts to get a representative sample.

What about all the good early voting news in NC? We've been on track or winning there.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm talking about the idiots who attempt to make the argument, with a straight face, that if we elect Hillary Clinton she'll start WW3 against Russia.

Well, sure, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has started lots more wars than private citizen Donald Trump. That'll hold true when he takes office, right?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
If I'm still alive Wednesday morning it's going to be an absolute miracle.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

+7 from a reputable pollster is a bit more than a weird outlier though. Like even if their MoE is entirely towards Trump that's still huge.

Does anyone have a link to the questions and cross tabs? I'm curious if traditional likely voter screens may fail to catch voters who are likely to vote but not "enthusiastic" about voting. 538 discussed this possibility on their podcast.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Obama won NC by 0.3% in 2008 and otherwise it has been solidly republican since 1980. NC is one of the battleground states that are must-win for Trump to even have a chance at the election and Clinton has many victory paths without it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Don't weekend only polls, especially ones right near a holiday, tend to skew Republican, since younger voters will more likely be out or busy?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Another thing that's not worth Arzying over: Clinton spending money in firewall states like CO. It's the last week of the campaign and they have a mountain of cash to burn through, why not spend some in the firewall states? It doesn't mean their internals show CO suddenly collapsing.

Northjayhawk posted:

LV screens are probably really messy in this election. We'll find out next week.

blue squares posted:

Actually it's because a huge part of the country doesn't care about the immense amount of dirt on Donald Trump that's out there.

If anything seeing Trump on the debate stage the first time had a much more devastating impact, ditto getting direct unfiltered coverage of Clinton during the DNC.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

If NC is tied, then we're fine. If Trump opens up a solid lead in NC, then that probably means that states which Clinton DOES need get uncomfortably close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If this election has shown nothing else it has shown that Republicans no longer need to fear controversy, they have a reliable enough demographic that a friendly FBI head dropping a completely meaningless letter can influence things entirely in their favor.

Trabisnikof posted:

Does anyone have a link to the questions and cross tabs? I'm curious if traditional likely voter screens may fail to catch voters who are likely to vote but not "enthusiastic" about voting. 538 discussed this possibility on their podcast.

Someone posted a twitter earlier that showed the big thing. Clinton's support among black voters tanked like a rock in that specific poll.

• Locked thread