Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Creative races still get all picks though, last I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

I like the mutually-exclusive approach to a tech tree. Really incentivizes trade.

It's a novel concept that forces the player to make hard decisions instead of unlock everything, but if this is at all like MoO classic tech trading actually really breaks the system. That's been the case in most 4x games that allowed it, though.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I like the MoO2/NuMoO "make a choice" rather than the roll-the-dice approach of SotS.

I'm also changing my vote to New Babylon. I figure this is its name amongst English speakers, and that it would be Nueva Babylon amongst Spanish speakers, and so forth.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Prism posted:

As a mechanics question, do you really only have ... what, five ships? Or have you built more and are glossing over them, using the names to represent teams? I haven't played nuMoO and I'm wondering if militaries are really that small, with a handful of powerful ships instead of large groups of weaker ones.

Yes, we only have five warships and one factory ship right now; I'm not glossing over any ships here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's worth pointing out that we are still fairly early in the game. There's plenty of time for building gargantuan fleets.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nweismuller posted:

Yes, we only have five warships and one factory ship right now; I'm not glossing over any ships here.

my dad posted:

It's worth pointing out that we are still fairly early in the game. There's plenty of time for building gargantuan fleets.

I actually prefer a smaller number of more powerful fleets so I am perfectly fine with a relatively limited number to keep track of. Especially if I get it myself, which with the 40% off sale it's got right now is not impossible. I was just curious if I was reading it right.

I'm also kind of curious if we will maintain having a small number of fleets in the future (even if each fleet is made up of a larger number of ships) and if that's a valid way to play; though I suppose I'm likely to see that over the course of the LP it might be too late for me to decide whether to make a purchase.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 1, 2016

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I prefer smaller fleets just as you tech up and upgrade it gets super expensive in mid to late game to upgrade, so it's more efficient (at least I've found) to have squadrons of uber ships and maneuver them as necessary. Saves you from breaking the bank each time you get a new tech and having to spend lots of time saving credits for such things.

Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011
They remove the ability to spend industry for upgrades in this? That's unfortunate, it was a nice system in oldschool MoO 2 that I wish more games would adopt.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

wedgekree posted:

I prefer smaller fleets just as you tech up and upgrade it gets super expensive in mid to late game to upgrade, so it's more efficient (at least I've found) to have squadrons of uber ships and maneuver them as necessary. Saves you from breaking the bank each time you get a new tech and having to spend lots of time saving credits for such things.

You can just build new ships instead of upgrading old ones, you know. :v:

As far as command points allow, you can just design a cheap-rear end mass driver destroyer with a forward thinking design and keep them around as command point filler. As soon as we tech up to (gameplay spoiler) battle scanners, battle pods, reinforced hull, a non-lovely drive, and maybe a few more techs related to our weapon performance (which is fairly close in the tech tree, all things considered) we'll be able to construct ships that will not become completely obsolete until waaaaaay late in the game, especially if they're used as long-range support for stationary defences. Let the old ships hold the line while the cutting-edge elite fleet strikes at the enemy.

my dad fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 1, 2016

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

my dad posted:

You can just build new ships instead of upgrading old ones, you know. :v:

That would require me to be -good- at the game mind.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, this is interesting. They just patched the game on me, with major changes to the pollution system, and to the gravity system, which might impact the Bulrathi. We'll have to if my save loads properly after this, and may need to reassess activities on our planets based on pollution even if it does. I've already played through 2480, but we'll see if I will be able to continue. I was just launching the game to grab a last screenshot for IIA reports before uploading images, and couldn't launch the game because Steam is updating it.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 1, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Retroactive alterations to the workings of ecology and the fundamental constants of the universe" presents an interesting narrative challenge if nothing else.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, to be fair, the alterations in gravity are more that 'Bulra is now supposed to be high-G, and the Bulrathi just noticed they're less productive on normal-G planets', so less 'alterations to the fundamental constants of the universe' and more 'screw you, bears'.

E: They mentioned something about armor penetration tooltips, so maybe we'll finally be able to figure out what the Hell Resilience does, precisely. I'll keep everybody posted.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 1, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, here's the thing: the saves are not, strictly speaking, corrupt. However, changes to the pollution system mean that the accumulated pollution on Paradise, Earth, and Bulra will cause imminent biome degradation because the pollution caps were dramatically reduced and everybody was playing according to the old rules. I'm pretty certain every other homeworld will be suffering the same fate at the same time. This is, to put it mildly, nearly a gamebreaker, and I'm not sure what to do. As such, I'd like to advance the question to my readers.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Are the save files plain text? Or is there any good third party modding utility to edit save files? I dunno much about this game but in your shoes I'd be seeing what I could do with those possibilities.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Surely it isn't that bad.

(Loads up the game and plays about 10 turns on a save)

...Holy crap that's bad. Being High-G isn't supposed to be a penalty! This really hurts the Bulrathi early game, and I'm sure it messes with any Low-G race as well.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

GunnerJ posted:

Are the save files plain text? Or is there any good third party modding utility to edit save files? I dunno much about this game but in your shoes I'd be seeing what I could do with those possibilities.

I'll see if I can find the save files and zero out accumulated pollution, but as of right now I'm not sure if this will be possible. A search for save editors isn't turning anything up immediately, but I'll see.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, Notepad is hanging on trying to open the save data. I'm putting out a request that anybody who knows of a Master of Orion save editor so I can zero pollution let me know.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

nweismuller posted:

OK, Notepad is hanging on trying to open the save data.

How big is the file? Hanging like that seems to me like a sign that it's too big. Might be worth trying in something a bit more robust like Notepad++

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Can you roll back Steam to use an earlier version of the game? I know this works on Crusader Kings 2 because I've done it, but I don't know if that's a thing Paradox set up specifically or if Steam maintains that automatically.

I can get the steps to try in about 90 minutes to two hours when I get home, if nobody beats me to it. I can't do it by memory without being able to see the menus.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The data in the save file is gibberish that I can't interpret; let me see if I can roll MoO back or if somebody knows of a save editor.

E: I don't see any way to roll back the update; if Prism can figure that out, that would be great.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well this is fun. So if we can't fix it up properly, is it gamebreaking to the point of unplayability?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Crazycryodude posted:

Well this is fun. So if we can't fix it up properly, is it gamebreaking to the point of unplayability?

Do you like sudden mass dieoff of population on homeworlds that suddenly spiral down into swamp, arid, or worse? It's pretty freaking bad, and unavoidable at this point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nweismuller posted:

The data in the save file is gibberish that I can't interpret; let me see if I can roll MoO back or if somebody knows of a save editor.

E: I don't see any way to roll back the update; if Prism can figure that out, that would be great.

I can't guarantee anything since I don't know if that's something the devs have to set up - and I suspect it may be. It's a long shot.

I'll check in when I get home with that info.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It makes for a nice, almost apocalyptic narrative if nothing else. If it's no fun to play though, might as well toss it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Prism posted:

I'll check in when I get home with that info.

OK so I'm home now.

For CK2, the way you do this is to right-click the game in Steam and select Properties. Then in the Beta tab, previous versions show up under the opt-in dropdown. Like this:

I assume from where this is located (since it's not actually beta versions) that this is a Paradox-specific thing and thus won't work here, so I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, looks to me as if the LP is unfortunately going to have to be cancelled due to save breaking. I can write up a final update without any real resolution for people, or I can not bother. I'm very sorry about this, and wish there was something I could do, but getting blindsided by 'way too high pollution' just isn't an acceptable state of affairs for me. I hope everybody understands. This is really very frustrating for me!

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Well, we could always give it another go, maybe get to a roughly equivalent point of play and then open up with a summary of events?

Otherwise, I can totally understand your frustration. This is a hell of a thing to get dropped in your lap like this.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wargaming. Wargaming never changes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Rocks fall Icecaps melt, everyone dies.

Well, it really sucks (especially since I've been getting rather into it the past few updates) but I understand if you have to call it. Looking forward to your next project.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nweismuller posted:

Well, looks to me as if the LP is unfortunately going to have to be cancelled due to save breaking.

Can you link the save file so we can take a look at it?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ah, that's a shame. At least there's the other thread still for me to get my Nweis fix :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

ulmont posted:

Can you link the save file so we can take a look at it?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8wmvPcl58BDOTY2aGFlVWpZOVU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8wmvPcl58BDZUc2NlJqSkE5djg

The two files linked to the save. If somebody is capable of downloading those, zeroing pollution everywhere in the galaxy, and reuploading them, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. (For that matter, if Bulra is still normal-G, go ahead and have mercy on the bears and fix it for them.)

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, now you can try to play, say, Sword of the Stars.
Pity second game never happened.

Or Galactic Civilizations 3! For horrible contrast.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Stellaris is on the list but waiting a year or two for Paradox to build it into something you'd actually like to LP, right?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
That is correct. It's gotten closer with the recent Heinlein update, but isn't quite there yet.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Also, have you seen the early access build for Endless Space 2?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nweismuller posted:

The two files linked to the save. If somebody is capable of downloading those, zeroing pollution everywhere in the galaxy, and reuploading them, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. (For that matter, if Bulra is still normal-G, go ahead and have mercy on the bears and fix it for them.)

Interesting the two different files there. Some of this is intelligible - I can find Hiraki, Ursa, etc. - so maybe. I'll have to be at a computer with MOO to really dig in of course.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Well, the .data file doesn't seem to change much. However, even just renaming "Sol" to "Sol2" seems to cause a rather amazing list of changes in the .save files, so I don't think it's gonna work out unless somebody in the forums gives a little information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, keep me posted on if you come up with anything. Thanks for looking into things.

• Locked thread