Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a bit of Brexit schadenfreude because it has embarrassed most Brits I know to the point where they can no longer make fun of the colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tire rack now wants to charge me sales tax? Never ever gonna use them agaim

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

Tire rack now wants to charge me sales tax? Never ever gonna use them agaim
Those jokers charge shipping. I've never seen a cheaper tire there over places like discount tire with their free shipping.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

blk posted:

I have a bit of Brexit schadenfreude because it has embarrassed most Brits I know to the point where they can no longer make fun of the colonies.

Yeah exactly this

Plus if you follow UKPol even a little you can shut them down with "well I see your point but didn't [torie] just do something similar last week?" And then they change the subject

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Seminal Flu posted:

It's like you've never seen Viggen before.

Hi Viggen. :wave:

My issue is that I don't even know who that is. If you want to talk poo poo, at least be enough of an rear end to be recognizable like my buddy here. :glomp:

I bought a "Venom" energy drink yesterday because I figured I'd need one. It tastes like someone dipped a Now-n-Later into 7-up. It's made by Dr. Pepper/7-up, sooo, guess that makes sense.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RillAkBea posted:

You guessed right. Not that I'm a glorious nipponjin myself but you sure get some weird assholes coming out here.

Oh for sure, I'll definitely be around in March and most probably April too. Let me know what kind of stuff you wanna see down here.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh... I've only been to Japan a few times, but I've met more than a few ex pats that were like huge gently caress off racists and whatnot. You can't even like pin it on "God drat American foreigners" because they've been from the UK or France.

You don't have plat so ~email (or gchat)~ me @ 5238901. I'll book hotels/AirBnBs closer to January, but I like to hang out with irl cool dudes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Prong Song posted:

Durham/Morrisville. You know why Dawat closed? I mean, best Indian buffet in the RTP area, gone JUST LIKE THAT?!

No idea. I went on a whim yesterday for lunch, and the guy who runs the place during the day was like "last day!" It's being turned into a Southern Indian place in a few weeks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Most adult conversations recently depress me as there is always someone talking up the steaming heap of poo poo that is 'brexit'.
It is a pretty good way of identifying idiots.

Too bad we couldn't have done so beforehand.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Not sure how popular that DIY forum is but I have a feeling some helpful people in here can let me know where to start :angel:

Where should I start troubleshooting if my 20-year-old gas furnace is making clicking sounds but not making heat? Model is a Carrier Super Saver, trying to track down more specifics.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

With furnaces I would just call a pro because otherwise your house blows up if you gently caress it up

Most of the time they don't mind you shadowing them either

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

scuz posted:

Not sure how popular that DIY forum is but I have a feeling some helpful people in here can let me know where to start :angel:

Where should I start troubleshooting if my 20-year-old gas furnace is making clicking sounds but not making heat? Model is a Carrier Super Saver, trying to track down more specifics.

I assume that the blower is working, but you are just getting cold air? The clicking usually means it is trying to ignite- I'd start there. Look for manuals for your specific model.

If you smell gas- turn the valve off immediately, and call a professional.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

West SAAB Story posted:

I assume that the blower is working, but you are just getting cold air? The clicking usually means it is trying to ignite- I'd start there. Look for manuals for your specific model.

If you smell gas- turn the valve off immediately, and call a professional.

Yep. Igniter or flame detector. Both user-replaceable. If it's the gas valve, I've never gotten in that deeply.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I turn the heat on, the a fan starts somewhere and the clicking starts, but no flame appears, and I don't see a spark anywhere. I'll do some digging on the model number and see what's up. Thanks guys! Don't have the cash on hand to replace the furnace so hopefully this will be a cheap fix :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If it's direct ignition, igniters are a common wear part and die. Be careful if you decide to replace it, the bases are generally ceramic and easily crack. Ask me how I know.

If it has a pilot light I'd call the furnace guys.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The furnace is a Carrier Super Saver model 58SSB060-CC and it was installed in 1988 :stonk: I DON'T smell gas and I'm sitting right in front of it while it's clicking so at least there's that. I'm guessing it's the igniter, like meatpimp/flu said. Another fun detail: when I got home yesterday it was clicking so there's no way of knowing when it started clicking without turning on and the house didn't blow up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

The furnace is a Carrier Super Saver model 58SSB060-CC and it was installed in 1988 :stonk: I DON'T smell gas and I'm sitting right in front of it while it's clicking so at least there's that. I'm guessing it's the igniter, like meatpimp/flu said. Another fun detail: when I got home yesterday it was clicking so there's no way of knowing when it started clicking without turning on and the house didn't blow up.

With a 1988 you should also check the "exhaust manifold" looking dude above the flame plenum for cracks in the welds. The intake passes by the exhaust in most models (because pre-heating the intake is a good thing) so they have a shared casting.

Obviously heat cycling puts some strain on the metal and after 28 years I would not be surprised if you already have some cracking. I did on my 1989.

If the cracks get big enough you basically end up recirculating carbon monoxide throughout your house when the heater kicks on. How good is your carbon monoxide detector setup?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

There IS spark since I can see the igniter module making a spark when it comes on, but there's no gas getting to the igniter module. That's telling me that the aluminum tube from the valve is clogged or the valve itself isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing (i.e. making gas go to things).

Seat Safety Switch posted:

With a 1988 you should also check the "exhaust manifold" looking dude above the flame plenum for cracks in the welds. The intake passes by the exhaust in most models (because pre-heating the intake is a good thing) so they have a shared casting.

Obviously heat cycling puts some strain on the metal and after 28 years I would not be surprised if you already have some cracking. I did on my 1989.

If the cracks get big enough you basically end up recirculating carbon monoxide throughout your house when the heater kicks on. How good is your carbon monoxide detector setup?

:romo:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

RIP Al Yankovic's parents. :negative:

KBB posted:

You participated earlier this year in our "turbocharged" survey (which was a short, quick one) and we would like to revisit the topic and ask you a few questions.

:henget:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Car passed its MOT!

2nd time due to driver headlight pointing too low
All in all not a bad result

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Victory!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Behold, my 1978 furnace

Look, and despair

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

What was the worthy sacrifice in the end?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Behold, my 1978 furnace

Look, and despair

What's your carbon monoxide detector story like? You should have one on every floor that someone might sleep on at the minimum.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wait, your furnace has Individual Throttle Bodies? Ten you need to fix your V-TEC

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Years ago I saved a load of my dads old magazines. I'm now starting to scan them in so I can get the space back.

If anybody is interested in what rusty delights England had on offer in November 1980 then click on the link below!

download the 30MB PDF file here

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Excited to see the updates in your thread :thurman:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Years ago I saved a load of my dads old magazines. I'm now starting to scan them in so I can get the space back.

If anybody is interested in what rusty delights England had on offer in November 1980 then click on the link below!

download the 30MB PDF file here
Thanks! I love this stuff.

Edit: How do you scan it without the reverse of the page showing through? I always find that's a problem.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 1, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

clam ache posted:

What was the worthy sacrifice in the end?
~18" long 3/4" breaker bar, beat on it for a while with a hammer my bad rear end WERA ratchet until it started to move. Then 6 foot cheater bar and hung off the end. Let go with a very satisfying pop. Bolt could probably be reused but I'm going to get a new one. Trying to find something that won't stick out as far, I think this one will get in the way of the pulley mount.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Excited to see the updates in your thread :thurman:
Waiting on the drat dry sump to ship :argh: Not that there isn't 1000 other things I could be working on while I wait

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Thanks! I love this stuff.

Edit: How do you scan it without the reverse of the page showing through? I always find that's a problem.

Enjoy :) I've got over 10 years of them to go!

Please read through it and let me know how the quality seems. I'm still experimenting with my settings and technique.

if on a computer choose the 'first page is cover' option in your PDF software as then any 2 page spreads work in 2 page view.

I scanned it on a duplex ADF scanner after guillotining it's spine off.
I think page bleed through is more an issue on a flatbed.

With that one, I'm not sure I like the way that leaving the scanner on 'auto' for paper size has made things a bit wonky across spreads In places and how adobe has done some page rotation. I've also optimised the PDF quite a lot to get it to 30mb rather than 300mb...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Enjoy :) I've got over 10 years of them to go!

Please read through it and let me know how the quality seems. I'm still experimenting with my settings and technique.

if on a computer choose the 'first page is cover' option in your PDF software as then any 2 page spreads work in 2 page view.

I scanned it on a duplex ADF scanner after guillotining it's spine off.
I think page bleed through is more an issue on a flatbed.
Ah, I probably wouldn't be willing to cut up the stuff I want to scan, but never mind.

Quality looks good to me. As usual with old car mags, the prices in the classifieds make you wish you could pull a Goodnight Sweetheart with a rucksack full of cash...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So the odds are still in favor of Cleveland winning, but my odds tell me that there is a 100% chance of riots in Chicago tomorrow night no matter what happens.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY

This is how I would describe Cleveland after that last strike out with bases loaded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So the odds are still in favor of Cleveland winning, but my odds tell me that there is a 100% chance of riots in Chicago tomorrow night no matter what happens.

Watching Wrigleyville go up in flames might be pretty entertaining.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

NO real harm done the city needs a good cleaning anyways. I mean if they win there gonna have a riot level party. If they loose the riot will commence

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baseball riots in chicago, murder rate goes down.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's your carbon monoxide detector story like? You should have one on every floor that someone might sleep on at the minimum.

Yup

Also it's getting replaced next summer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Powershift posted:

Baseball riots in chicago, murder rate goes down.
briefly.

Also a brief downward blip whenever [nearby city] has a Clinton rally.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

clam ache posted:

NO real harm done the city needs a good cleaning anyways. I mean if they win there gonna have a riot level party. If they loose the riot will commence

It's the north side, it's not a riot. It's expressing themselves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. We forgot to pull the screen all the way shut and all three cats escaped into the night. Thankfully two of them are cowardly retards but I just had to chase one of them halfway around the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

It's the north side, it's not a riot. It's expressing themselves.

Your correct. When the white sox won in 06 there wasn't any rioting. But squigley field will explode with idiots if they win and will be fun to watch from the suburbs.

• Locked thread