Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Agrajag posted:

How the gently caress do you expect anyone to calm down with the prospect of Trump winning and all he and his supporters disgusting vitriol being validated?!?!

Trump isn't going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

lol, bullshit

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is all very good news yes? It seems that the Black vote is starting to catch up and the Hispanic vote is beating past results. Am I looking at this correctly?

Yes.

So everyone calm the gently caress down.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

straight up brolic posted:

most of the hardcore prob. stats people do
Source?

I know Andrew Gelman in fact co-published a paper with him.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I'm enjoying all the arzying, because it's dropped the price of shares for a Clinton win on Predictit, and I'm hoping to make a dollar or two off this stupid, anxiety provoking mess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes.

I WILL NEVER CALM DOWN, AWIJ :byodood:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Kenyon!

Tim Kaine was recently there and it has been in the news for elections before.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Comey and the FBI is literally doing wikileaks drip feed to swing the loving election.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Breitbart?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

12% is still too high for comfort.

Higher likelihood you'd off yourself in a game of Russian roulette. I'd take my chances on the election instead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think 538 is not both measuring the polls, but trends. It basically says that Trump is trending up thus it assumes he will continue to do so.

As far as I can see there's been no really bad polls for Clinton.
Yes, thank you. That's what I'm worrying about -- not that Hillary's at 70% (although I don't love that either), but at the horrendous trend lines that are so sharply pointed that they're going to converge before the 8th. And yes I'm aware, intellectually, that this is the equivalent of watching the tide go out and screaming that all the water is disappearing forever, but it's not doing a drat bit of good emotionally. I don't like lines pointing towards each other.

Crowsbeak posted:

Its dumb, but its less dumb then not expanding the house. Seriously are their any good resources for why we haven't, because we have over three times what the population was in 1020 and we have same number of reps now as we did then?
I believe the official reason is "because everyone's used to the numbers 538 and 270 now, gently caress it", with a side of "we'd have to build a new building", and always keeping in mind "how many more dudes should we add exactly, and also keep in mind that this affects each party's chances of being elected President so unless you split it exactly 50/50 millions of people will howl for your blood".

Nessus posted:

Because a rally doesn't necessarily target votes. Trump can do all the WWE road show touring he wants - and indeed I am sure that if he's hitting the same place, he'll get the same audience. But in fact, WWE usually fills stadiums to the same extent that the Donald seems to be doing, and yet wrestling remains a dumbass muscleman sideshow which does not dominate the media.
Also hey gently caress you buddy :mad:

In all seriousness the "wrestling fans are rednecks" stereotype is seriously out of date. The Venn diagram between "comic book nerds" and "pro wrestling fans" is very close to being a single circle, and these days that includes the wrestlers too, who can be hilarious dorks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Agrajag posted:

Comey and the FBI is literally doing wikileaks drip feed to swing the loving election.
*try to

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lol. Is that a meme poll? The gently caress is this even?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Northjayhawk posted:

lol, bullshit

i dunno man Oregon Poll has an s-rank on 538

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes.

I think the key point I take from that is that a significant amount of early D voters are first timers or unlikely voters; which would mean polls that track LVs rather than RVs are significantly underplaying Dem numbers.

Did I get this right?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Northjayhawk posted:

In addition to this, if Hillary loses, then anyone with the gang tag shown on my posts gets perma-banned.

Hey I haven't toxxed for anyone.

I just like burritos. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That would be the (double-digit)th time something as political appeasance has backfired on him, it's not like he's not used to that

Huh, giving in and doing the thing that your political opponents (who want to destroy you) want you to do actually hurts you in the end, who would have thought? :iiam:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
"Hey Sully, remember when I said that chart was my last"

"That's right Mel, you did say that"

"I lied"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Agrajag posted:

Except nobody's reporting on it anymore?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cingulate posted:

NYT overview:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...dle-span-region

Any chance this will have consequences? Whoever is in charge needs to receive the electoral equivalent of tar and feathers.

It's a Republican in Texas saying something mean about not only a Democrat, but a Clinton. I'll let you take one guess at if this will hurt him in any way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Also hey gently caress you buddy :mad:

In all seriousness the "wrestling fans are rednecks" stereotype is seriously out of date. The Venn diagram between "comic book nerds" and "pro wrestling fans" is very close to being a single circle, and these days that includes the wrestlers too, who can be hilarious dorks.
I have a journeyman's awareness of Vince McMahon's muscle festivals, sir, you need not defend its honor: the point remains that it fills venues on the regular, but does not actually dominate society, the way that poster suggested that Trump's rally turnout meant he was going to secretly dominate us all with the "Dark Matter" (ed.: name probably inaccurate) of "people who go to Trump Rallies but are completely invisible to pollsters"

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

most of the hardcore prob. stats people do
It sure would be nice if some of these professional statisticians could get into the loving game, then. Even Sam Wang isn't a statistician.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

If McMullin wins the amount of shitposting will probably light the servers on fire and it'll all be a moot point anyways. We'll have to ask Library of Congress for some backups.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cingulate posted:

Source?

I know Andrew Gelman in fact co-published a paper with him.
I'm on mobile but here's one article about how his philosophy has resulted in greater probabilistic turmoil

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mishtalk.com/2016/08/07/nassim-telab-blasts-nate-silver-about-election-odds-in-series-of-tweets/amp/

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

canepazzo posted:

I think the key point I take from that is that a significant amount of early D voters are first timers or unlikely voters; which would mean polls that track LVs rather than RVs are significantly underplaying Dem numbers.

Did I get this right?

This again is correct.

Also assume that the % of R LV will be down slightly because Trump literally has no GOTV campaign.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Northjayhawk posted:

In addition to this, if Hillary loses, then anyone with the gang tag shown on my posts gets perma-banned.

Shortly after I joined I noticed a link between people with the big MAGA picture under their names and bad posting. Then I found out about the toxx threads and it all made sense

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Guy Goodbody posted:

Shortly after I joined I noticed a link between people with the big MAGA picture under their names and bad posting. Then I found out about the toxx threads and it all made sense

The statistical outlier is baloogan.

baloogan is love

baloogan is life

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

My world's on fire, how about yours, that's the way I like it cause I never get bored.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

Trump - 48%
Clinton - 20%
Arioch the Chaos Lord - 32%

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm enjoying all the arzying, because it's dropped the price of shares for a Clinton win on Predictit, and I'm hoping to make a dollar or two off this stupid, anxiety provoking mess.

You could probably make more than a few dollars on the stock market too. Arzying intensifies.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

We're going to lose Oregon. It's over.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Hillary's website has a super-quick quiz that guides you through the various options and helps you choose:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/page/volunteer-quiz-start/

E: This should probably be in the OP or something.

Just signed up to volunteer, thanks for this!

Go, Abuela, go! :unsmith::hf::abuela:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

A Winner is Jew posted:

This again is correct.

Also assume that the % of R LV will be down slightly because Trump literally has no GOTV campaign.

The RNC has a GOTV campaign that is going toe to toe with whatever Hillary has.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Hey Sully, remember when I said that chart was my last"

"That's right Mel, you did say that"

"I lied"

:eyepop:

Please put this in the OP.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Duscat posted:

Nationalism isn't the disease, it's a symptom, and what's really killing us is multinational corporate capital gaining more and more power to override democratically elected governments trying to protect the interests of their people. There's really no such thing as an "American" megacorporation, they're all publically traded and owned by international investors from all over the world. In the old feudal systems, the local lord knew that if he taxed his serfs too harshly, they'd revolt and storm the castle. In modern feudalism, each lord owns a small interest in a million fields and lives half a world away, and starved serfs are just another writeoff on the balance sheet.

I don't think people think too critically about "nation" and capitalism. Capitalism undermines the nation's sovereignty right? Cause multinational corporations operate across borders and lobby to change laws and exist outside jurisdictions and violate the will of the people and all this loving jazz. But one of the most important things about national borders is they determine what gets taxed and by how much. So multinational corporations have a definite interest in propping up the idea of the nation because national borders help them avoid paying taxes. So I guess my point is I don't know what the gently caress to do with this knowledge except note that getting rid of the idea of the sovereign nation won't help us fight capitalism, and going all in on nationalism (besides all the baggage that comes along with it like xenophobia) won't help us. So I don't know what we do.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

Not much, there could be some issues with 'em and other polls continue touting a Clinton lead.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

There were also some OK polls and some good polls.

The bad poll was recent and we're goons, so we're still in the process of getting off the ledge.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Trump is NOT gonna win loving Oregon.
Thanks for reminding me to mail in my ballot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

An A-rated pollster on 538 released a North Carolina poll that had Trump +7. It's almost certainly an outlier considering other NC polls haven't shown any movement since comeygate.

• Locked thread