Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

We have an Entlebucher that I desperately want to post but he's not a big dog, and he's not small (59 lbs) so he doesn't really fit in anywhere, but :justpost:

He's 6 years old and we adopted him in February of this year and he just got his GED!

He smashed the extra-credit advanced sitting challenge and won a ribbon :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

This is Athena. She's a 10 week old Bernese Mountain Dog and is positively adorable. My wife and I are looking forward to raising her and seeing just how big she's going to get.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BrianM87 posted:

This is Athena. She's a 10 week old Bernese Mountain Dog and is positively adorable. My wife and I are looking forward to raising her and seeing just how big she's going to get.

Those feet and legs are comically large. Good luck feeding the beast.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We may be adopting an adult mastiff mix this weekend if all goes well. We've had a heeler and a husky so we aren't new to dogs in general but is there anything a newbie Big Dog owner needs to know? Something you wished you'd known at the beginning?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Joburg posted:

We may be adopting an adult mastiff mix this weekend if all goes well. We've had a heeler and a husky so we aren't new to dogs in general but is there anything a newbie Big Dog owner needs to know? Something you wished you'd known at the beginning?

The amount of slobber. The trail from the water bowl at my house is like 20feet long.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Shamwow rug - check

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Be careful about bloat. If mastiffs overdo it on exercise it's very detrimental to their joints, although playing around with other dogs will be fine. Just don't expect them to go hog wild for an extended period.

Embrace your new giant slimedog life. Post pics.

The Halogens fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 18, 2016

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Do you recommend having the stomach tacked or is it overkill?

We had a dog with a twisted stomach when I was a kid and I remember it was scary and she was at the vet for a long time. My parents called her the solid gold dog after they got all the vet bills.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

We had Leia's stomach tacked when she was spayed because the two surgeries defrayed each others' costs. The jury is out on whether or it's recommended or not (it's not a 100% guarantee the dog won't bloat with the tacking). All the vets in our area said it would be a good idea and we had the money, so we went for it.

Bloat surgery is much more expensive than a gastropexy, and if even one time where she would have bloated is prevented, it will be worth it to me. Bloat is a terrible way to die. She's a rowdy puppy and I have to leave her at home when I'm at work, taking her out at lunch. I don't want to come home to a dead dog.

That said, talk to your vet and other giant breed owners in real life and on the internet. Whatever decision you make won't be a bad one.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks for info, much appreciated!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Don't even try to buy an appropriately sized bed. You can just get a twin sized piece of foam from foam factory, cover it with a zippered waterproof bedliner, and throw a twin sheet over that. Instant waterproof, huge dog appropritate bed. I get 6" thick foam for the danes.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The mastiff mix didn't work out and we adopted Noodle instead.

The shelter said she's a Great Dane-Standard Poodle but who knows. So far she's 100% couch dog. We decided to do a Wisdom panel for fun so I'll post results in a month.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wisdom panels are largely garbage. I'd say dane/poodle or even wolfhound/dane isn't too unlikely.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Whatever she is, she looks majestic. Good choice.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks! She has been really good so far, we really lucked out.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
crom sevenbeans is growing like a weed and thinks hes a goat

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't even try to buy an appropriately sized bed. You can just get a twin sized piece of foam from foam factory, cover it with a zippered waterproof bedliner, and throw a twin sheet over that. Instant waterproof, huge dog appropritate bed. I get 6" thick foam for the danes.

I second this suggestion. Fluffy Bunnies told me about Foam Factory a few years back when I was looking for a new bed for my (non-giant) dog with hip dysplasia. Since she's not dane sized, I just bought a 4" thick twin mattress, cut it in half, stacked the halves, and sewed a removable cover for them. It's nicer than any dog bed on the market, and it's sturdy as hell by comparison.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Noodle's wisdom panel results say Great Dane 50% Standard Poodle 50%. I guess someone spent a ton of money getting a designer dog only to give her to a shelter.

Her separation anxiety is no joke but is getting better. Here she is helping with tree trimming (right before she ran off with that branch).

XenonTrioxide
Aug 20, 2005

C8H10N4O2
My parents have a Leo, so by proxy, I have one too!

He's still just a wee puppers, about 5 months old now, only 75lbs or so. :shobon:

These are all from when he was pretty freshly home with us, maybe... 10 weeks?

(the biggest, sweetest puppy, with standard puppy excitement protocols)

When you're this big, there's a lot of sleeping that has to go into life.

As a true Leo, he likes to spend his time trying to emulate a sponge and dripping water from every potential source onto every possible dry surface.

More recent, he's starting to grow into his nose and his adult colors - they're coming along his spine, darkening him up as they go. :) A very good little bear, which, coincidentally, is his name: Mathan Beag (pronounced "Mahan Bek", it's Gaelic so it makes no goddamned sense), also known as Bex. He's gonna grow up to be a monster with the greatest temperament.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Oh God Leonbergers are the best :3:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Frankenstein, my Irish Wolfhound, is actually a little small for his age. He's 5 months old and about 55lbs

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Tree Dude posted:

Frankenstein, my Irish Wolfhound, is actually a little small for his age. He's 5 months old and about 55lbs

Adorable! My mom just got a wolfie pup a while ago. She's about 4 months old and 30 kilos.

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
This is Polar our recently adopted dane, 3.5 years old. She's my first large breed in about 20 years and she's a goofball.

kaptkobe fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 19, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kaptkobe posted:

This is Polar our recently adopted dane, 3.5 years old. She's my first large breed in about 20 years and she's a goofball.

She's a really beautiful dog.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Seriously, what a beautiful girl. Love her coloring.

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
I've never seen this pattern before, we think it's called mantled.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

kaptkobe posted:

I've never seen this pattern before, we think it's called mantled.

It'sjust a heavily marked harlequin.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?
Our Bernese is starting to get a little bigger now. She's been such a good dog.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BrianM87 posted:

Our Bernese is starting to get a little bigger now. She's been such a good dog.

Wanna boop that snoot

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Our Dogo is growing steadily. She's 45lbs at 5 months. She's a good girl!

Khioniia
Aug 4, 2003

So many good dogs in this thread. Tree Dude, your wolfhound is adorable.

We got a friend a while ago for our wolfie/staghound cross. She's a wolfhound/something cross, rescued from a pig hunter by a lovely family.

They seem to get on ok.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I demand more Leonberger pictures.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella has completely lost confidence in going up the stairs. I had her at the vet a couple weeks ago, and she was doing fine. When she doesn't think about it and just goes up the steps, she handles them okay, but it's really becoming a battle at this point. She's on a daily low-dose painkiller, so I'm going to schedule an appointment to see if it's time for something stronger. We're limiting her trips as much as possible, but stairs are an unfortunate reality at our place.

It's starting to hit me that I've got an eleven year old Dane, you know?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Maybe a dog funicular?

When I typed that into google, I must say that I wasn't expecting this:

When our rottweiler got old and had hip problems, we bought a ramp for him to get into the car. Don't even know how I'd have handled stairs. Best of luck coping.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 14, 2016

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
We're moving her into the basement. The backyard has a hill so we'll be able to go for walks. I'll stay here with her now. Getting up and down isn't the issue so far, walking's okay, it's just the stairs. So this works best. I moved into my parents' basement so my sister and her husband could have some privacy while they wait for the closing date on their new place. Now I'm staying for the dog :3: My pal is worth it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
going by the established thread rule of 20% or more above breed average at 6+ kgs Butler qualifies as a big 'ol dog.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
So many good dogs in this thread. Any lovable jerks?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Any food recommendations for a 12-week growing Great Dane male? We've been feeding him Royal Canin large breed puppy food.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

beergod posted:

Any food recommendations for a 12-week growing Great Dane male? We've been feeding him Royal Canin large breed puppy food.

Something good instead of literal garbage.

JimBobDole posted:

So many good dogs in this thread. Any lovable jerks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Why did I only see this thread now?!?!

This is Hana:

Although now she mostly look like this!

Sometimes like this:

And this:

2.5 years old now and I wish we could freeze time.