Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RatHat posted:

Wait I thought Ion was the only Titan with a hidden energy mechanic governing its abilities. Do all the Titans have it for determining shield strength and such?

I think that's just Ion's gimmick, everything shares a common energy pool. Other Titans just have cooldowns on their abilities, mostly. Tone has the lockon mechanic that governs how often you can use the tracker rockets and how the salvo core tracks enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

victrix posted:

Ion's pulls from his energy, Scorch... I have no idea actually, probably has its own independant timer? I'll check that tonight (when I'm ramming it into some Titan's face)

Tone and Legions are damage based afaik, both can be buffed with passives.

And for Ion's shield if it breaks all the held bullets to reflect are lost right?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

Why do I like objective modes in these sorts of game, since my team is always unable to actually do objectives.

Hello fellow sufferer of wanting to always play objective modes! :v:

On the plus side you can carry them pretty hard as long you get teams that understand what to do, even if they're not quite good at say, wallrunning for CTF:

(Scorch is probably going be the first titan I end up regenning.)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RatHat posted:

And for Tone's shield if it breaks all the held bullets to reflect are lost right?

Ion has the Vortex Shield that traps/throws, it drains from his global energy pool. Scorch's Flame Shield just melts anything fired at him. Tone and Legion's shields absorb some amount of damage then break outright. I'm not sure if it drops or throws when Ion's energy runs out though.

I'm not sure about Ronin's either actually, I think it blocks a % of damage, and maybe blocks more/all while sword core is active?

Come to think of it, someone in my party last night was saying his dash recharges faster while his core is active, another thing to test tonight.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnCJq1etbD8

Check out the red/blue bar on the left hand side of the HUD, that's the shared energy pool. As long as you have enough energy for the shield/lazer/secondary fire they can be used. Trip mines have both a cooldown and use energy.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, Scorch and Ion both seem like support Titans to me, Legion and Ronin aggro, Northstar and Tone are griefers.
Scorch is definitely a support, and a counter for the Reapers in late-match. Primary explodes them, and the abilities melt them in seconds too. That means you get your core, which leads to melting other Titans.

To be honest, I think the main reason he's so slow is that if he moved any faster, it would be too easy to ambush enemy Titans, and catch them in the traps-firewall combo. It never gets old though, watching panic-smoke while a group desperately tries to work out where all the damage is coming from. :allears: Always worth taking a longer route around the main scrum.

BabelFish posted:

Check out the red/blue bar on the left hand side of the HUD, that's the shared energy pool. As long as you have enough energy for the shield/lazer/secondary fire they can be used. Trip mines have both a cooldown and use energy.
:aaaaa: Not going to lie, with all the poo poo that explodes and other blinky lights, I didn't even notice that bar.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

It's that bar on the left-to-mid side of the HUD that isn't there with any Titan other than Ion. It recharges over time and is used in everything that isn't her gun's normal fire, even the alt firing mode. It can also recharge from base weapon crits when you have the Entangled Energy Titan kit equipped. And there's another kit that makes tripwire not use it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ohhh I never noticed that bar before. I thought it was just part of the cockpit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's also cooldown meters under your crosshair for your tactical/lethal, and they're only visible if they're recharging on cooldown.

I noticed those, uh, last night.

Ain't nobody got time to pay attention to the UI when you're busy wallrunning.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Anyone else not able to get a lock on mid-Atlantic data centers right now? Are the Russians hacking my Titans?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Okay, got totally beaten on that energy thing. So here's another tip/answer: not sure about Ronin's boosts cooling down quicker, but Frothy said that activating Sword Core instantly restores your boosts. So use 'em before you activate it, then you can use 'em again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

runchild posted:

Okay, got totally beaten on that energy thing. So here's another tip/answer: not sure about Ronin's boosts cooling down quicker, but Frothy said that activating Sword Core instantly restores your boosts. So use 'em before you activate it, then you can use 'em again.

Also, screaming Japanese into your mic will increase the damage of the sword slashes

Edit: RYUJIN NO KEN O KURAE

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Some ronin tips as he is my favorite robo:

-Use the mobility perk. Nuclear eject is a strong second contender since you get up in people's face but extra mobility is just too good on ronin not take it.

-Stop boosting everywhere! Save your robo boost for engagements. Anytime you are going to fight an enemy you should have all 3 of your boosts available to you!

-Crush AI, don't both shooting the, crush or melee them! You can do laps just crushing minions and gaining core (exception is reapers, shoot them, one mag kills one reaper!)

-In a typical fight you should not run headlong at an enemy. Get on their flank. Run up and surprise them!

-Reloading during phase dash! If you start your reload animation and then phase dash by the time you come out of your dash your weapon will be mostly reloaded. Dumping a mag into someone dashing and dumping another is HUGE damage!

-Arc Wave is kind of weak, but use it if they throw up shields!

-Your shield block is also not super useful and generally if you are using it its cause you didn't position yourself well. It only blocks half the damage so you can still get blown up using it!

-Don't use phase dash to close the distance! Use it for escapes or to reload! Also if you pop out of existence inside an enemy or friendly you will actually take a lot of damage!

-The perk that makes sword core last longer if you get a kill can be really strong but the best perk is the lowered cooldown on phase dash!

-Execute every mother fucker you see. While you are executing you are 1) ensuring they don't survive, 2) taking no damage during the animation (all titans are invulnerable during executions), 3) allowing your dash and phase dash to recharge!

Enjoy your anime robo.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The key difference between myself and the folks murdering me seems to be that they always notice me a hell of a lot sooner than I notice them. In order to remedy this I'm trying to adopt the routes they took to kill me and such.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JackDarko posted:

The key difference between myself and the folks murdering me seems to be that they always notice me a hell of a lot sooner than I notice them. In order to remedy this I'm trying to adopt the routes they took to kill me and such.

This is what's killing me, I just fuckin suck after playing no multiplayer FPS's for the last few years but The Last of Us and Uncharted. The lightning-fast pace is really screwing with me, this poo poo is why I don't play COD. It makes me feel like I'm 50 years old.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How much damage does sword core make your sword do anyway? Unless it's a really high amount It seems kinda poo poo since you never really want to just to up to a Titan and start swording them as Ronin.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've had a couple of games where I broke 20, and I've seen a couple people break 30. It was an absolute rout on those games, though.

The reason I play FPS on consoles is the very low skill ceiling introduced by the controller. It can be overcome by a tiny handful of players but it's extremely rare to see a 360 no-scoping god clean up the entire server single-handed. You always have a puncher's chance. Whereas on PC if the matchmaker doesn't work you get KillerHitler420 goosing every pilot who flickers into his eyeline.

What does it mean to goose someone, is that like shortform for a sick nasty 360noscopeMLG shot or something? Someone mentioned the word in context of Ion, too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speaking of Ion, how do you use his Q in multiplayer? Do you just tap it or charge it fully or what?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

-Arc Wave is kind of weak, but use it if they throw up shields!

Negative, Arc Wave stuns! Nailing them with Arc Wave and then dashing basically guarantees they can't do poo poo to retaliate while you're on their flank.

Arc Wave also leads to very nasty and lethal Sword Core executions, same reason.

Ciaphas posted:

What does it mean to goose someone, is that like shortform for a sick nasty 360noscopeMLG shot or something? Someone mentioned the word in context of Ion, too.

Kill them while they're in midair after an eject. Comes from a challenge in the first game.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I regenerated and it reset all my loadouts :mad:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Ion, how do you use his Q in multiplayer? Do you just tap it or charge it fully or what?

Tap, it has no charge mechanic, just a maximum amount of time it can be held before it automatically discharges. The sound is really bad at communicating this.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

runchild posted:

I can confirm it does: your dashes are completely recharged and their subsequent recharge rate is massively increased so that it can almost act as a Dash Core from 1.

And speaking of Ronin, a short clip from a game tonight with my fellow euro goons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTZT83Rg0-Q

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really miss the dash and shield cores from the first game. :v:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Time held does not change damage. I generally tap unless my target gets behind cover before I can fire.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

How does one play with friends? Is the invite friend button broken? He joined the network and we still couldn't see eachother's invites, network or friend.

Why is this good game locked behind so many bad systems???

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

RatHat posted:

How much damage does sword core make your sword do anyway? Unless it's a really high amount It seems kinda poo poo since you never really want to just to up to a Titan and start swording them as Ronin.
Based from this:
Default titan melee does 500 damage.

Ronin's melee does 625 damage.

Ronin's sword core melee does 2200 damage.

I believe Titan health is 5000 HP for each bar, so it's almost half a bar if a swing connects.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Titan health is something like 2500 a bar, so its just about like 80-90% of a bar. So sword core is pretty loving good.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

radintorov posted:

And speaking of Ronin, a short clip from a game tonight with my fellow euro goons.

This was the greatest thing that happened tonight.

Also man I sucked in that game. :shobon:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

radintorov posted:

I can confirm it does: your dashes are completely recharged and their subsequent recharge rate is massively increased so that it can almost act as a Dash Core from 1.

Haha I did that last night. While walking backward. While waiting for the evac ship to show up, so I could get in. And then my fellow hapless noob teammate followed me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just ran into my first genuine bonafied hacker. His view would instantly snap lock to you then snap to a different random target.

They still lost.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Scorch's flame shield does like 2.5 bars of damage if you get the whole thing on a target, and it blocks any incoming damage :stare:

If you're standing in thermite while he's ramming that shield down your throat, you are deeeeead.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

victrix posted:

Scorch's flame shield does like 2.5 bars of damage if you get the whole thing on a target, and it blocks any incoming damage :stare:

If you're standing in thermite while he's ramming that shield down your throat, you are deeeeead.

Won't Scorch also be pretty much dead from standing in his own fire too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

OneDeadman posted:

Titan health is something like 2500 a bar, so its just about like 80-90% of a bar. So sword core is pretty loving good.

Another easy way to think of it is Flame Core does 4500 damage, which is 2 hits from Sword core.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ion seems a little underpowered in the damage department. Her splitter rifle does pretty awful damage unless you use the alt fire mode, and I don't think her other abilities make up for the missing damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ion's laser shot does a ton of damage if you hit a Titan's weak spot, and you can use it really often. Ion's laser core is also basically a guaranteed kill if you can keep it on a Titan for the whole duration.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
So which titan is the best auto-titan in your opinion goons? I've had ok success with the ronin since it will actually rushes and use the sword like a madman.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess a simple one like Tone or Legion that doesn't require any fancy tactics. Though someone in the thread said auto Scorch is good for Bounty Hunt.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

victrix posted:

I use the perk that increases the Thermal Shield damage and duration and I can pretty much kill a Titan with the shield alone. I love it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gunder posted:

Won't Scorch also be pretty much dead from standing in his own fire too?

Conveniently he has a kit that gives flame armor :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gunder posted:

Ion seems a little underpowered in the damage department. Her splitter rifle does pretty awful damage unless you use the alt fire mode, and I don't think her other abilities make up for the missing damage.

You are bad at Ion. Laser shot on a titan weakspot does massive damage and you can corner peak with it to completely whittle down titans while taking no damage yourself. It's also an instant kill hit scan weapon so if you get good at twitching you can just destroy anyone any time you can even see half a pixel of a pilot. Also laser core does many damages.

Also I have no idea how to embedd webms

https://gfycat.com/ShockingMasculineAnkolewatusi

:thumbsup: