Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

seconding the 304. It holds 6 drives and isn't exactly massive. Looks really nice, depending on how you feel about microwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

And has good airflow over the drives.

I mounted an SSD under a rail too so you could in theory do 7 drives, or more, if they are 2.5".

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

If you don't mind a little modding (drilling some holes in the bottom and making a couple brackets) , you can fit 6 3.5" hdds and an ssd in a lian li tu100b. You have to use a flexatx psu as well. It's a nice little case.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

Maybe the Silverstone DS380 would fit your requirements?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That thing is pretty cool. Silverstone is neat company, I appreciate how they're not afraid to get weird and make niche stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lian-Li knows how to make the weird stuff.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Apparently these are priorities over making nicely built, smallish sized tower-style ITX cases with good cooling and acoustics:

- ATX-sized ITX cases
- Yacht-themed ITX cases
- Toaster-shaped ITX cases
- Trashcan-shaped ITX cases

I just want a slightly smaller version of the Fractal Nano that looks a little sharper.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

dy. posted:

Apparently these are priorities over making nicely built, smallish sized tower-style ITX cases with good cooling and acoustics:

- ATX-sized ITX cases
- Yacht-themed ITX cases

I just want a slightly smaller version of the Fractal Nano that looks a little sharper.

just get the nano, it's a ballin little case.

only gripe i have with it is the blue LED when a white one would have been so much cooler looking

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

dy. posted:

- ATX-sized ITX cases
- Yacht-themed ITX cases

Let's not forget this abomination:

Which was like $200+ in 2012 dollars, and $300+ if you wanted the "limited edition" display base/train tracks.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

IDK, I'd totally buy a stupid gimmick case if I had the cash to spare. And I think the yacht one is legitimately beautiful.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

just get the nano, it's a ballin little case.

only gripe i have with it is the blue LED when a white one would have been so much cooler looking
I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I'm going to end up buying it, I just wish someone like NZXT or Phanteks would make a slightly smaller, more attractive version of it using a SFX PSU. I'm overall really disappointed in the variety of appropriately-sized ITX mini tower style cases; there are only like 3-4 real contenders.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 10, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think a Nano S with a PSU mounted vertically in front - where ODDs would usually go in an ATX case - allowing for a shorter height would be ideal. Fractal, email me for my paypal deets thanks in advance.

Also loving lol @ NZXT's itx case. That thing is so silly. Everyone just wants an S340 mini, guys! No need to build some curved monstrosity.

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 10, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

well why not posted:

I think a Nano S with a PSU mounted vertically in front - where ODDs would usually go in an ATX case - allowing for a shorter height would be ideal. Fractal, email me for my paypal deets thanks in advance.

Also loving lol @ NZXT's itx case. That thing is so silly. Everyone just wants an S340 mini, guys! No need to build some curved monstrosity.

yeah this would be good, i didnt get a sfx psu so i lost one of the cable management gromet holes, its a bit messy inside but the stock fans still manage to keep it cool. one of the GPU fans being like 3-4 mm from the PSU doesnt seem to be impacting cooling at all, thankfully

here's my nano s build, again:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Be Quiet! Cooler, EVGA GPU. Fractal Case and a Corsair PSU.

That's a really smart build. Good stuff.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

well why not posted:

Be Quiet! Cooler, EVGA GPU. Fractal Case and a Corsair PSU.

That's a really smart build. Good stuff.

heh thanks, my last build was kind of a crapshoot so i spent weeks picking the parts this time. hiding in the rear is a 500 GB samsung 850 EVO :getin:

also i literally cannot hear if the computer is running at idle, barely at load either. at first i kept getting worried my OC had crashed it when i got out of bed

the mobo is a z170i pro gaming, and i can recommend it wholeheartedly. superb UEFI interface and top notch overclocking. the windows ai tuning suite is actually nice and useful too

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of ridiculous ITX cases:

http://store.antec.com/cube_razer

quote:

Unit Dimensions: 365 mm(H) x 250 mm(W) x 460 mm(D)
14.37”(H) x 9.84”(W) x 18.11”(D)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thanks Ants posted:

cube

Unit Dimensions: 365 mm(H) x 250 mm(W) x 460 mm(D)
14.37”(H) x 9.84”(W) x 18.11”(D)

I'm not sure what part of that is cube-like. Hell, even the "cube" style cases which aren't actually cubes at least look vaguely like one. This just looks like a dumpy tower.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 10, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

it's big in all the wrong places.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Photex posted:

it's big in all the wrong places.

mlym

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

well why not posted:

Isn't that basically like the Ncase M1 at that point?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yes but with an actual supply chain.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Probably going to pick up an i3 NUC to replace my ageing laptop real soon, but I wanted to just sound you guys out real quick, I remember there was some ASUS or Gigabyte NUC-like barebones box that was supposed to be coming out later this year? Am I dreaming or are the only current (and near future) options basically the Intel NUC line and Gigabyte brix for the ~book-sized systems niche?

Also, are the people on the Intel NUC forums nitpicking/crazy or is there an actual build quality/bricking issue with these NUCs that you have to beware of? I know wifi on these is apparently terrible, but that's not a concern since that's easily fixable with a usb adapter. What I'm worried about is like, any build quality issues that would lead to a standard setup (correct memory + SSD) dying or bluescreening for reasons unknown. Endless RMAing or fiddling to get poo poo working would be a pain; I'd rather pay a couple hundred extra and get a slim low end business desktop/laptop refurb with a warranty if there's going to be a need for support.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

japtor posted:

Isn't that basically like the Ncase M1 at that point?

But with soundproofing and no top vents unless you really want them, which makes it more attractive to me, at least.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

But with soundproofing and no top vents unless you really want them, which makes it more attractive to me, at least.
This actually was something of a concern of mine moving from a Fractal Mini mATX to the NCASE, but it turns out not having fans spinning solves the former issue nicely. Also dropping all spinning HDDs probably did something there too.

(And when things are at load, the only fan that gets loud is the GPU, which if it's running, I'm probably occupied with loud noises anyway)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sale on Fractal Define cases at newegg. Define Nano S is $50. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/575l7b/meta_big_sale_on_fractal_design_define_cases_from/

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ooooooooo do you think this means Fractal is about to release a refresh?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Could be, it's been a while since they've released a new product. Any predictions? I'm gonna suggest a white Nano S and potentially a new Node case.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

How does ordering the M1 work anyway? The Ncase site says now orders made before 23/9 will ship on 27/9 etc, but at the same time people are also saying they have been waiting quite a while for their orders. I'm looking to build a mITX PC, just not right at this moment, but if the wait is 3+ months, then I figure I might as well order ASAP.

Update: I ordered mine on the 24th of August, arrived on 23 September. Way earlier than I was expecting.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Steakandchips posted:

Update: I ordered mine on the 24th of August, arrived on 23 September. Way earlier than I was expecting.

Mine took 17 days to arrive, which I thought was pretty fast considering all the delays I've read about. Plus my country's customs office didn't even charge me any import duties.

Also as someone who reads Chinese, I thought this was pretty cool

It's the signature section of the invoice, the left one is the seal of Lian Li Industry Co. Ltd, but in the 1000+ year-old seal script instead of a modern font, the right one is the personal seal of the guy who sent the package. I know they still use seals in Asia, but it's still kinda funny to see a modern manufacturing company having an official seal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I had not paid any attention to those, but cool!

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
SFFs are my new obsession.

Has anyone tried the Thermaltake Engine 27 yet?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

SFFs are my new obsession.

Has anyone tried the Thermaltake Engine 27 yet?

That is Sandia / Coolchip's revolutionary new design which has finally been produced, but that is the 70w TDP version. I believe they still have a larger version in the works. I'd love to see if these meet their decibel claims.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
IIRC CoolChip initially teamed up Cooler Master for the production version, but that deal appears to have fallen through. The Thermaltake version still has no MRRP, and no one seems to have gotten their hands on a prototype for testing, even though it has been "launched". I don't doubt that the technology works, but I do wonder about the feasibility of manufacturing the thing at a consumer-friendly price, since as far as I know the heat transfer between the base and the metallic fan relies on very intricate and precise machining, as well as high quality bearings.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCT9V18/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HGISVE6EWRIZ&coliid=I2YTA2ZDYTC3YL&psc=1

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shanghaied posted:

IIRC CoolChip initially teamed up Cooler Master for the production version, but that deal appears to have fallen through. The Thermaltake version still has no MRRP, and no one seems to have gotten their hands on a prototype for testing, even though it has been "launched". I don't doubt that the technology works, but I do wonder about the feasibility of manufacturing the thing at a consumer-friendly price, since as far as I know the heat transfer between the base and the metallic fan relies on very intricate and precise machining, as well as high quality bearings.

I think you might be overestimating the machining. There need to be good tolerances, but once the thing spins up, it's riding on a layer of air like the needle on a hard drive. Hard drives have to have super-tight tolerances but they can still be stamped out for dirt cheap once the tooling is there.

Yeah, I just bought one, I'll be the guinea pig and report back.

Edit: If you look really carefully at the pictures of it, there's a couple clips on the fins of the center heatsink, like you'd clip weights to a car wheel rim to balance it. I guess that helps them make up for a lack of precision.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 1, 2016

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
What's going on with the reviews on Amazon? AFAIK, this thing is released not long ago in the autumn, but the Amazon reviews go back to 2012 or so.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Presumably the "budget" version (CLP0556-B) has been there a while, i.e. more vendors not having a clue how to use Amazon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

What's going on with the reviews on Amazon? AFAIK, this thing is released not long ago in the autumn, but the Amazon reviews go back to 2012 or so.

They probably replaced a previous item with this items info.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

More and more I'm seeing multiple items share the same page / review data. I've seen ITX, ATX, MATX boards on the same page, as well as a 24" IPS screen share data with a 27" TN panel. It's borderline deceptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same with TVs - Amazon might stock a range from 24" up to 42" and the larger displays will use IPS panels and then the small one might use a lovely TN panel. The reviews will say how good the image is but the reviews are tied to the product page and not the individual options, so nobody has any idea what the person who wrote the review actually bought.