Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kolodny posted:

I could see that happening in a case where you're going out of your lane. Other than that it's a bit odd.

Thesaurus posted:

Probably didn't want you to make others look bad.

I thought both of these for a bit, but my supervisor is pretty good and usually tells me things in a more straightforward manner. This discussion was a little more odd and smacked of higher-order politics. There was something going on where she was telling me something but didn't want to say it directly.

Must Love Dogs posted:

I mean, from a union's standpoint, we always suggest that when doing work outside or above your PD that you get it documented in your evaluation so that it gives you an edge when applying to higher graded work. Another thing could be that your agency has you underclassified at 9 and they're worried an OPM desk audit will cause you and others in the same series to get a pay bump and blow a hole in their budgets.

Like this. This makes a lot of sense. Especially because I just turned in my performance plan for the upcoming fiscal year and I'm currently planned/scheduled to do much more than is required by the goals and measures of my grade. I hadn't made the connection till I'd mulled it over this weekend, and I'm pretty sure our talk was a "read between the lines of what I'm saying here I'd like you to plan to do less (officially)" discussion around that performance plan rather than anything I had been doing.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Basically you have to steal from the agency or commit major PII misuse.

or touch a cell phone while driving (A DUI isn't a fireable offense though!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

1. I doubt anyone in the world could answer this question other than the people involved in conducting your interview. Certainly there are people who would be like "oh, you will not come a few hours up the coast for a sure-fire interview?" just as there are people who would be like "oh, he is hours away, oops, we should not have asked."

2. I cannot help but assume this is related to Schedule A hiring, as it sounds like you are doing that. I have certainly never heard of a "hiring list" before, though it sounds similar to the way the Returning Peace Corps Volunteers I know at my office ended up getting their jobs, so it makes sense that it would be a special hiring authority.

3. Well, it does happen. I actually got an invitation on Friday afternoon to interview the following Monday morning, and I had both that Friday and Monday off. Only because I happened to check my work e-mail on a lark did I even find out I had an interview before it was over.

I am trying for Schedule A hiring, yes. So basically, they were telling me that if the interview goes well, I'm being hired? Am I reading you right there, if the analogy to Peace Corps fits? (Considering they included a bunch of PDF forms for me to print and fill out and bring with me, that conclusion seems...more possible, now that I think about it.)

....Why the hell not just say that in simpler language? :psyduck: (I recognize the need for form letters, but...) It's a situation where I am afraid of looking like an idiot and losing the opportunity that way, as would any jobseeker I guess, so it really does behoove the HR folks to be clear in what they say. I don't think I, or anyone else, would feel confident enough to ask.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TheMadMilkman posted:

Threatening to physically harm your direct supervisor works too, although that apparently comes with 90 days of paid and being "allowed" to resign.
This reminds me, people have also been fired for messing with time accounting, both working off the clock to appear to be a much better employee and claiming time where you were not working. So, basically, you have to either stop working entirely, be careless with Personally Identifiable Information to the point that it becomes an issue, attack someone, or steal the government's money. We have also been told that if anything we do becomes national news it is quite likely that will end with us being fired, haha. Though the only national news-worthy thing anyone I know was involved with was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Northern_New_Jersey

Spacewolf posted:

I am trying for Schedule A hiring, yes. So basically, they were telling me that if the interview goes well, I'm being hired? Am I reading you right there, if the analogy to Peace Corps fits? (Considering they included a bunch of PDF forms for me to print and fill out and bring with me, that conclusion seems...more possible, now that I think about it.)

....Why the hell not just say that in simpler language? :psyduck: (I recognize the need for form letters, but...) It's a situation where I am afraid of looking like an idiot and losing the opportunity that way, as would any jobseeker I guess, so it really does behoove the HR folks to be clear in what they say. I don't think I, or anyone else, would feel confident enough to ask.
Possibly. It is certainly something vaguely akin to Returning Peace Corps Volunteer hiring, in that they can set aside jobs outside the normal competitive process. So yes, the good news is, it MAY be the case that as long as you seem competent it will go well for you. Which would be pretty cool, both for you (obviously) and so the thread would finally have an example of how Schedule A hiring works!

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Today's good weirdness I've started teleworking from home today and got my evaluation. I did drat good to the point where I'm getting a QSI. Here's where it gets weird though, this QSI would be a wash if I end up replacing somebody that's retiring this year at a higher grade then I am right now.

Yes I am confused.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

re: firing chat...

Max Peck posted:

.pdf source; there's a second possible method that the .pdf talks about but this seems to be the main one?

Details may vary by agency; I've been told (by non-HR people) that my agency will try to find the employee a more fitting position after the PIP fails (and thus they'd have to go through the first two lines again before even possibly being fired), but I've never even seen them try.

This is basically the process. There's a couple of shortcuts, like if a fed commits a crime off-duty or gets Hatch Acted, but for most removals this is how it works. Informally though, settlements that allow for the employee to have a clean SF-50 and resign peacefully are common, especially in cases of clear wrong-doing.

El Mero Mero posted:

Like this. This makes a lot of sense. Especially because I just turned in my performance plan for the upcoming fiscal year and I'm currently planned/scheduled to do much more than is required by the goals and measures of my grade. I hadn't made the connection till I'd mulled it over this weekend, and I'm pretty sure our talk was a "read between the lines of what I'm saying here I'd like you to plan to do less (officially)" discussion around that performance plan rather than anything I had been doing.

If you want to talk about this privately my PMs are open. If you are underclassified it's bullshit and you should get paid for the work you're actually doing.

Must Love Dogs fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 1, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Basically you have to steal from the agency or commit major PII misuse.

But not send classified emails! :smugdon:

I can't wait for this stupid election to be done

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Update re me: They never replied to my email sent Friday asking for a reschedule/change of format, and they never replied to my email confirming that email.

So I'm supposing that job has passed me by, all because folks don't read their email. :cry:

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
so who else uses webTA to enter their time/attendance, and who else feels like making GBS threads on someone's desk right now?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So how exactly does it work when your job gets eliminated and your bosses want you to move someplace else. What options are there?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Must Love Dogs posted:

re: firing chat...

If you want to talk about this privately my PMs are open. If you are underclassified it's bullshit and you should get paid for the work you're actually doing.

Thanks for the offer. Are you a union rep for your office? I really couldn't tell you if I was under-classified for my position or not as I'm really new to the federal government. I'm also only 4 months in, so I'm still feeling stuff out and figuring out things with my supervisor. I don't have any grievances (at least if I do I'm ignorant of them) - I'm mostly just confused.

My particular office hasn't had an officially named union rep for a long time and they outsourced HR to denver and hired all new people over there in the past couple years, so nobody's been able to really give me much helpful assistance with anything.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ixo posted:

so who else uses webTA to enter their time/attendance, and who else feels like making GBS threads on someone's desk right now?

Whenever I think my timekeeping system is bad I reflect back on the system I used when I first started with the government:
1. Type up timesheet in special required excel form with many locked and archaic cells.
2. Print out and give to supervisor for signature.
3. Supervisor gives it to secretary.
4. Secretary types into special form producing program that only works on her special timekeeping computer.
5. Secretary prints form off and faxes to Randolph AFB.
6. Randolph AFB secretary types form into local HR computer system.
7. Computer system spits out a report to a secretary at Wright Patterson AFB.
8. Secretary at Wright Patterson AFB types it into actual payroll system.

I only determined this through my attempts to trace errors that this system produced which were pretty significant. We've come a long way since 2006.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ixo posted:

I use it, and it is probably only the third most annoying thing we have to do in regards to our time and attendance, so just remember it could be worse! :( Haha. The most annoying has to be the thing that takes about a solid minute to load, and then 15-30 seconds to respond after you click just about anything, where you have to scroll through huge lists of activities to precisely qualify what you are doing and quantify how long you are doing it. I think the union is trying to get rid of the thing we use to punch in and out for the day that takes between 5 and 10 minutes to load (if it loads at all) though.

Leviathan Song posted:

Whenever I think my timekeeping system is bad I reflect back on the system I used when I first started with the government:
1. Type up timesheet in special required excel form with many locked and archaic cells.
2. Print out and give to supervisor for signature.
3. Supervisor gives it to secretary.
4. Secretary types into special form producing program that only works on her special timekeeping computer.
5. Secretary prints form off and faxes to Randolph AFB.
6. Randolph AFB secretary types form into local HR computer system.
7. Computer system spits out a report to a secretary at Wright Patterson AFB.
8. Secretary at Wright Patterson AFB types it into actual payroll system.
Did you tell this story earlier in the thread, or is it just that endlessly convoluted recordkeeping tales are all equally distressing? That is so fantastic either way. And why we should clearly appreciate WebTA in some vague sense.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

For some odd reason I use a timekeeping system hosted by/run by the USDA (I don't work for the USDA or any ag agency.). Our process is:

1) record your hours in a separate excel sheet in case/for when you need to correct poo poo
2) once every two weeks enter my hours in the system's poo poo interface
3) enter any credit hours into a completely separate excel spreadsheet that I then print off and sign
4) my entries in the system get released to our admin assistant, who prints them off and then has me sign them.
5) my supervisor signs both sheets and then turns them all back into the administrative assistant
6) not sure what happens then, but I imagine there's another 4-5 steps outside our office

It's pretty loving bad

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Did you tell this story earlier in the thread, or is it just that endlessly convoluted recordkeeping tales are all equally distressing? That is so fantastic either way. And why we should clearly appreciate WebTA in some vague sense.

I think I may have. It's just too ridiculous not to share.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 2, 2016

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Thanks for the offer. Are you a union rep for your office? I really couldn't tell you if I was under-classified for my position or not as I'm really new to the federal government. I'm also only 4 months in, so I'm still feeling stuff out and figuring out things with my supervisor. I don't have any grievances (at least if I do I'm ignorant of them) - I'm mostly just confused.

My particular office hasn't had an officially named union rep for a long time and they outsourced HR to denver and hired all new people over there in the past couple years, so nobody's been able to really give me much helpful assistance with anything.

I'm national staff with AFGE. We might not represent you, depending on what your agency is, so we'd need to talk before I can give you any firm advice.

Generally though, if you are just four months in, I'd recommend you hold off from doing anything until you clear your probation.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I need adult guidance re: insurance

I'm overseas with the foreign service with just me and my wife, no kids. We live in AF and come home a couple times per year. Open Season is starting and I assume I should get FEDVIPS for dental and vision? We have FSBP right now but have blown off vision/dental for a couple years because we're lazy/healthy. Also I'm hoping to do LASIK next year so that might matter.

Help me adult bureaucrats you're my only hope

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Turns out I'm getting a WRP Federal Job Interview at my school (under the students with disabilities program)...

The day after Election day. :shepface:

Any advice?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

El Mero Mero posted:

For some odd reason I use a timekeeping system hosted by/run by the USDA (I don't work for the USDA or any ag agency.). Our process is:

1) record your hours in a separate excel sheet in case/for when you need to correct poo poo
2) once every two weeks enter my hours in the system's poo poo interface
3) enter any credit hours into a completely separate excel spreadsheet that I then print off and sign
4) my entries in the system get released to our admin assistant, who prints them off and then has me sign them.
5) my supervisor signs both sheets and then turns them all back into the administrative assistant
6) not sure what happens then, but I imagine there's another 4-5 steps outside our office

It's pretty loving bad

1. Log into QuickTime, log hours worked, assign time to various codes (010 Regular, 020 Annual Leave, 230 Credit Earned, 231 Credit Used)
2. At end of pay period, change status to VER[ified]
3. Supervisor signs off on hours
4. Timekeeper signs off on hours
5. ?? idk but I'm pretty sure I get paid at this point. Maybe it goes to the bureau?

Takes maybe 5 minutes a pay period. Interior seems pretty on the ball in this respect.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Remember folks, you can get admin leave to vote.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/administrative-leave/

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

let's see how long my agency lasts now!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm also curious how this will affect COLA past increases.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the WRP going to be affected? I have an interview today.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one dreading this.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one dreading this.

Same here, as I work for one that is always on the elimination list.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

How can you not? The new boss' tagline is literally "you're fired". Well the Donald's still gonna need a DoD to smite his enemies with I guess. Thinking comforting thoughts here at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Actually, I think you'll find that the DoD has already been reduced to rubble so it can only go up from here!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Most notably for y'all:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days

Donald 'You're Fired' Trump posted:

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

at least as a NatSec person I'll be fine :suicide:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Well, time to leave the country I guess if I wanted to work? Or go State level... CA here I come?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

I just hope I'm not replaced by a cyber 10 year old before I get my clearance/a start date.

Edit: Actually, is that a thing that can happen? Like you are selected and fill out all that onboarding poo poo and then the agency is just like "sorry" and you are out cold after a few months? Barring something like your clearance not getting approved or something like that.

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 10, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shaman Linavi posted:

I just hope I'm not replaced by a cyber 10 year old before I get my clearance/a start date.

Edit: Actually, is that a thing that can happen? Like you are selected and fill out all that onboarding poo poo and then the agency is just like "sorry" and you are out cold after a few months? Barring something like your clearance not getting approved or something like that.

That tends to be how they do it. There've been a number of cases where multiple candidates have applied to one position at the CIA and interviewed successfully. Often whoever gets their clearance first gets the gig.

As for the rest? Well, rejecting their clearance is a pretty easy way.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just had an excellent interview with the Workforce Recruitment Program under Disabilities; does this clause mean that that pool of job opportunities is now dead in the water?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I just had an excellent interview with the Workforce Recruitment Program under Disabilities; does this clause mean that that pool of job opportunities is now dead in the water?

I would hope you get in before January if at all possible.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

I would hope you get in before January if at all possible.
I was told that I would be contacted for new interviews over the phone in Mid-December. What is the usual time process?

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Well folks, it's been nice knowing you.

Get ready for Wisconsin Act 10 in the federal sector.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Pro: My agency is small and has a small budget , which makes me think we could fly under the radar when the great purge begins. Haven't heard it mentioned in any top ten "abolish" lists.

Con: However, it's also probably regarded as a hotbed of unnecessary job killing regulations.

I guess it's time to sign up for the redundant 10,000 border patrol surge or become a brick layer for the Great Border Wall.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

So I interviewed with the USGS last month for a GS11 scientist position, and I'm still waiting to hear back - the assured me that I WOULD eventually know, and they were hoping on a 2-4 week time scale. I kind of figured they would wait until after the election, once it got past the 4 week point without hearing from them.

Even if I get the job, it's going to be a really bad decision to take it, yeah? I have to imagine that if the stated goal is already to freeze hiring and downsize the size of the federal government (let alone environmental organizations like the EPA and USGS..) that new hires would be early on the chopping block.

Goodbye career dreams; I really feel for anyone already in the government who has to face this. I have a great number of friends and colleagues in the EPA who have no idea what they're going to do come January.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Must Love Dogs posted:

Well folks, it's been nice knowing you.

Get ready for Wisconsin Act 10 in the federal sector.

Do you think they'll try to gut federal pay and benefits? If so, do you think that will be across the board or moving forward?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Better than even money says it'll be the FERS annuity and/or FEHB they come after. Or we might get lucky and he just makes it easier to fire us!

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

First cut is almost certainly going to be aimed at curtailing collective bargaining rights in the system. Official time, payroll deduction, exact same playbook as on the state level across the Rust Belt. Once that happens and we are starved of resources, you'll see the second attack. Cuts to compensation, benefits, expansion of privatization, the works. Some agencies might be carved out from political necessity, but others are basically on borrowed time. TSA is very much at risk of losing even the limited collective bargaining rights it enjoys on Day 1.

If you aren't already a member of a union, join right loving now. Only through political mobilization will any of this be delayed or denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Good bye jobs, hello requirement to stay at Trump hotels during official travel